England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

talksport has the worst, lowest common denominator ones but sky sports is starting to run them close. radio five used to be a decent standard of pundit, but these days they've dumbed down too so for every interesting one like graham taylor or david pleat there's a claridge or a shearer.

Take it you're being facetious about Taylor and Pleat? Surely.

not at all man, pleat's the most interesting analyst co-commentator around and while he sounds like a man trying to speak while under dental anaesthetic his guardian 'chalkboards' column is great. he's got levels of insight into tactics and formations that the ex-player lot can only dream of with their 'oh he'll be disappointed there / he's hit that almost too well / i don't understand what [manager] is thinking of there'.

that's the difference really, pleat and taylor have at least been there, so they know what a manager is thinking tactically when he sets a team up and they can usually explain or understand why it's being done, and if it doesn't work, why it hasn't worked. the ex-player mob hadn't the balls to try management in the main or were <deleted> at it so they just take the cash for trotting out cliches for morons.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was anybody surprised by Walcott's exclusion? Those two fine judges,Chris Waddle and Alan Shearer certainly weren't. No,they knew all along that he wouldn't go.They didn't say so BEFORE the squad was announced but it was always on as"Capello was always going to go for tried and trusted performers" (but Walcott's played in 5 of the 9 qualifying games,bonny lads.) and "Capello was only going to take players who were in form and playing regularly for their clubs."(Ofcourse,thats why he picked Joe Cole,Shaun Wright Phillips and Michael Carrick,players that featured week in and week out).Why is it that these people have always got to be seen to be right all the time?Is it that their egos have shifted from the pitch to the TV settee?

think shearer's an idiot who knows no more about football than the average pub bore.

walcott not going is a bit of a surprise but then there was never much to choose between him, lennon and SWP. it's not a shocker on the scale of argentina leaving out zanetti and cambiasso or brasil leaving out ronaldinho is it? it's probably about on a par with italy omitting giuseppe rossi.

And,no doubt,Shearer and Waddle will find some half baked reason why THEY were left out as well.

The worst after-timer of all?Andy Gray.That man just loves to pat himself on the back.

never had the balls to be a manager despite being offered the job at two of his previous clubs. now sits in judgement of all managers from a position of perfect hindsight. arsehol_e.

talksport has the worst, lowest common denominator ones but sky sports is starting to run them close. radio five used to be a decent standard of pundit, but these days they've dumbed down too so for every interesting one like graham taylor or david pleat there's a claridge or a shearer.

Take it you're being facetious about Taylor and Pleat? Surely.

not at all man, pleat's the most interesting analyst co-commentator around and while he sounds like a man trying to speak while under dental anaesthetic his guardian 'chalkboards' column is great. he's got levels of insight into tactics and formations that the ex-player lot can only dream of with their 'oh he'll be disappointed there / he's hit that almost too well / i don't understand what [manager] is thinking of there'.

that's the difference really, pleat and taylor have at least been there, so they know what a manager is thinking tactically when he sets a team up and they can usually explain or understand why it's being done, and if it doesn't work, why it hasn't worked. the ex-player mob hadn't the balls to try management in the main or were <deleted> at it so they just take the cash for trotting out cliches for morons.

Take what you say on board about Pleat's football nouse, but regardless i still find him an annoying bore - apart from of course when - to use a Pleat-like turn of phrase - he comes out with pure gold like these gems:

"Our central defenders, Doherty and Anthony Gardner, were fantastic and I told them that when they go to bed tonight they should think of each other."

"Stoichkov is pointing at the bench with his eyes."

"A game is not won until it is lost."

"Had we not got that second goal, I think the score might have been different. I’m not sure."

"Eighty per cent of teams who score first in matches go on to win them. But they may draw some. Or occasionally lose....."

Wish there was a button on my remote that could cut him off like this:

Edited by rixalex

Injury scare for Rio Ferdinand

June 4, 2010

Email

Print

England captain Rio Ferdinand has been taken to hospital for a scan on his knee after suffering an injury in training on Friday morning.

GettyImages

Rio Ferdinand and Gareth Barry were part of the training session on Friday

• Lampard excited by Jabulani ball

• Forum: Do we know England's first XI?

• Join our fantasy game

England were relieved to see Gareth Barry return to training at their Rustenburg camp and the midfielder could be in contention to feature in the country's opening game against USA on June 12, but their preparations took a worrying turn when Ferdinand suffered the problem towards the end of the session.

The Manchester United defender has been taken to hospital to assess the problem and Capello hopes that scans reveal positive news for England and their skipper.

"Rio picked up a knee problem in training," Capello said. "It happened near the end. He has gone to hospital for a scan and we will have to see how things are."

Ferdinand suffered extensively from injuries at Old Trafford last season and was able to start only 12 Premier League games as various fitness problems took their toll.

Barry's return is more positive news for England as the midfielder had been a doubt to make the squad due to an ankle injury sustained in a Premier League game against Tottenham on May 5.

Capello, who also calmed fears over a possible injury to goalkeeper David James, is remaining cautious over Barry's recovery but is pleased to see the player steadily improving.

"David James had a little problem with his knee but not a big problem, and Barry, he started to train with the team," Capello said. "He has improved every day, he is getting better and better in every moment."

Well Rio is out....Dawson in and presumably Gerrard captain now.

Tough luck to Rio but I reckon it won't hurt England's chances.

Might be a blessing in disguise. Rio hasn't played enough this season and injury-wise is too fragile. Added to which i don't think he's captain material. Let him go away and rest. United might benefit next season from a fresher Rio, and England might benefit from having a half decent captain... now if only Gerrard was a half-decent player... oh well, can't have everything...

i think you're right. they'll still go out in the second round. :)

well in emile.

well in emile.

And yet so many seem convinced of making the Quarter Finals. I blame the press radio TV etc..... :D

well in emile.

And yet so many seem convinced of making the Quarter Finals. I blame the press radio TV etc..... :D

sure youre not even a tad jealous?????? defoe , gerrard , carragher , crouch ,heroes 1week ,carnts the next,

enjoy the world cup gents,

We are better off with king than Ferdinand. Play King for two of the qualifiers and although we won't have to we could rest him for one if Capello wanted. Can't see him having to play more than two games after that anyway, but let's hope.

He started more games last season than Rio and was a better player, certainly in the latter part of the season.

[

well in emile.

sure youre not even a tad jealous?????? defoe , gerrard , carragher , crouch ,heroes 1week ,carnts the next,

No criticism of individual players. I just feel the squad lacks balance and is weak up front. England will struggle against the decent sides that's all.

[

well in emile.

No criticism of individual players. I just feel the squad lacks balance and is weak up front. England will struggle against the decent sides that's all.

Some great newspaper cliches coming out here........

I am thinking now it would be maybe better to play Dawson and King together at the back instead of Terry?

They play together week in week out so will have a greater understanding of each others positional sense and with Cole and Johnson at full backs it just seems a stronger centre pairing..Terry does have a problem with his wandering at times? (on and off the pitch :) ) I know Terry will start but i think it is not a big concern and believe Dawson could be involved sooner than he thinks.

Also its looking like Barry will be fit,so additional strong cover for the CB as well,giving Gerrard the role he is best at behind Rooney!

JAMES

JOHNSON

DAWSON

KING

COLE A

LENNON

BARRY

LAMPARD

COLE J

GERRARD

ROONEY

This i think will be the team for the first game

James

Johnson

Terry

King

Cole

Lampard

Barry

Lennon

Gerrard

Rooney

Crouch

.....and no, i would'nt pick James but it seems Capello is going to :)

This i think will be the team for the first game

James

Johnson

Terry

King

Cole

Lampard

Barry

Lennon

Gerrard

Rooney

Crouch

.....and no, i would'nt pick James but it seems Capello is going to :D

Almost but Joe Cole will play with Barry coming on in the second half remember he hasn't had a game since being injured. :)

JAMES

JOHNSON

DAWSON

KING

COLE A

LENNON

BARRY

LAMPARD

COLE J

GERRARD

ROONEY

Are you a Spurs fan? as i cant see any reason to drop Terry for Dawson on the basis Terry is far better, if all Spurs centre backs were fit and on form wouldnt he be 4th choice as i believe he was rumoured to be up for sale at the start of last season.

Id agree with you on the rest of the team.

JAMES

JOHNSON

DAWSON

KING

COLE A

LENNON

BARRY

LAMPARD

COLE J

GERRARD

ROONEY

Are you a Spurs fan? as i cant see any reason to drop Terry for Dawson on the basis Terry is far better, if all Spurs centre backs were fit and on form wouldnt he be 4th choice as i believe he was rumoured to be up for sale at the start of last season.

The pecking order at Tottenham is irrelevent. Its about who is available to England that is in form. I chose Terry because i think we need the experience but ability wise i too have major doubts about him.

Edited by carmine

Are you a Spurs fan? as i cant see any reason to drop Terry for Dawson on the basis Terry is far better,

He might be far better but he is a complete <deleted> knob and the thought of him being immortalised in England's sporting history makes me shudder... not that of course i have too many fears about our lads making history....

Are you a Spurs fan? as i cant see any reason to drop Terry for Dawson on the basis Terry is far better,

He might be far better but he is a complete <deleted> knob and the thought of him being immortalised in England's sporting history makes me shudder... not that of course i have too many fears about our lads making history....

i wouldn't worry about it, steven gerrard will not be lifting the world cup this summer.

don't think barry will be fit enough to play the opening match by the way, can see carrick starting instead of him.

JAMES

JOHNSON

DAWSON

KING

COLE A

LENNON

BARRY

LAMPARD

COLE J

GERRARD

ROONEY

No England when United are not playing :)

He has played a lot of games with King this season so the understanding is their,i do worry about Terry also he does get caught out of position a lot.

i wouldn't worry about it, steven gerrard will not be lifting the world cup this summer.

don't think barry will be fit enough to play the opening match by the way, can see carrick starting instead of him.

Stevie do you want some uppers?? :)

Stevie do you want some uppers?? :)

i'm well looking forward to the world cup mate. can't wait for it to get started.