England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

Lets face it lads by the time the world cup comes around our boys are knackered from a very tough premier league season.

If englands team was fresh they would be a match for most teams,our one player in rooney who could win u the wold cup was played for 86 mins in a meaningless friendly after playing in the carling cup final on a dodgy wembley pitch and since then he has been a crock,yeah well done england hope he doesnt make it to south africa now.

Now there's an excuse before a poor Tournament if ever i've seen one.. :)

2 weeks break in Jan for the other League's, not enough of a " better advantage " for a good World Cup from certain other Countries if you ask me..

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if all fit, the starting team for england's opening world cup game against the states will be:

green / james

johnson ferdinand terry cole a

lampard barry

walcott rooney gerrard

heskey

I hope not

why? it's england's best available starting XI, give or take maybe milner and a fit (never gonna happen) hargreaves.

if all fit, the starting team for england's opening world cup game against the states will be:

green / james

johnson ferdinand terry cole a

lampard barry

walcott rooney gerrard

heskey

I hope not

why? it's england's best available starting XI, give or take maybe milner and a fit (never gonna happen) hargreaves.

Lennon should be in instead of Walcott, and as i've said before i'd like to see Hart playing although i know He wont pick him.

Lennon should be in instead of Walcott, and as i've said before i'd like to see Hart playing although i know He wont pick him.

i agree about hart as it goes but not about lennon. too unpredictable and his final ball still leaves something to be desired.

i agree about hart as it goes but not about lennon. too unpredictable and his final ball still leaves something to be desired.

Last season his form was patchy and his final ball dreadful. This season though not the case. His form prior to the injury was superb

For me, Walcott has never improved anything like he should have. I'm sure the likes of Evra and Cashley would rather face Walcott than Lennon.

Last season his form was patchy and his final ball dreadful. This season though not the case. His form prior to the injury was superb

For me, Walcott has never improved anything like he should have. I'm sure the likes of Evra and Cashley would rather face Walcott than Lennon.

i think capello looks more at the overall balance of the team than at individual roles though. lennon's a decent player but walcott is absolute lightning and something england lack in attack is pace for counter-attacks. think with england likely to be crap at playing keep-ball against decent opponents in the world cup they're going to need that real pace on the break which is why walcott will get the nod. lennon will come on later in games if england need a goal and need to run at defenders to get behind them.

i think capello looks more at the overall balance of the team than at individual roles though. lennon's a decent player but walcott is absolute lightning and something england lack in attack is pace for counter-attacks. think with england likely to be crap at playing keep-ball against decent opponents in the world cup they're going to need that real pace on the break which is why walcott will get the nod. lennon will come on later in games if england need a goal and need to run at defenders to get behind them.

He might have pace Steve but i lose count how many times he makes the wrong decisions in Games, it's actually quite embaressing i think..

Lennoin over Walcott every day of the week for me..

Tell them both they have got 45 minutes each in the warm up games and see what they offer in the team role,even give them 45 mins in the world cup each at least there will be no excuses for tiredness and lack of appetite...use the subs tactically for a change would be a benefit to the service of whoever is up front.

He might have pace Steve but i lose count how many times he makes the wrong decisions in Games, it's actually quite embaressing i think..

know what you mean but i'd say the same about lennon to be honest. a fit joe cole would work for me on the right as he'd cut in more and make more room for johnson to attack on the overlap, as gerrard will do for cashley hole on the left.

heskey's a massive weak link though. if he was the sort of aggressive forward who attacked crosses from the fullbacks as well as linking up and bringing rooney and gerrard into it then england could be strong in attack.

know what you mean but i'd say the same about lennon to be honest. a fit joe cole would work for me on the right as he'd cut in more and make more room for johnson to attack on the overlap, as gerrard will do for cashley hole on the left.

heskey's a massive weak link though. if he was the sort of aggressive forward who attacked crosses from the fullbacks as well as linking up and bringing rooney and gerrard into it then england could be strong in attack.

We are still talking about heskey lets face it he is crap,i mentioned earlier about bent he is a form striker playing in a average team,he should fit in well ffor england :)

We are still talking about heskey lets face it he is crap,i mentioned earlier about bent he is a form striker playing in a average team,he should fit in well ffor england :)

bent isn't smart enough to play and bring in others though which heskey has experience of. england actually need some kind of hybrid of heskey and crouch, a six foot seven physically strong lone striker who can occupy two defenders and also be a goal threat. they need didier drogba.

Darren Bent, the same Darren Bent who gets much less service for Sunderland than the " far superior T*ttneham Midfield " give Defoe & Crouch, yet he's scored only 1 less Goal than the Pair of them combined this Season, yet if you ask a T*ttenham Fan on here if he should go, they'd all say a resounding NO because he misses too many chances, that Darren Bent do you mean ?? :D

Those same T*ttenham Fans want both Crouch & Defoe to go though you see.. :D

Darren Bent, the same Darren Bent who gets much less service for Sunderland than the " far superior T*ttneham Midfield " give Defoe & Crouch, yet he's scored only 1 less Goal than the Pair of them combined this Season, yet if you ask a T*ttenham Fan on here if he should go, they'd all say a resounding NO because he misses too many chances, that Darren Bent do you mean ?? :D

see m you're still making this a club thing when it's actually about god, harry and saint george. :)

see m you're still making this a club thing when it's actually about god, harry and saint george. :)

Hahahahah i'm just highlighting their nonsensical points of view & outlook on the beautiful Game as usual Stevie, that's all Mate.. :D

Hahahahah i'm just highlighting their nonsensical points of view & outlook on the beautiful Game as usual Stevie, that's all Mate.. :)

mate it's one of the fun bits about not being an england fan at world cup time, you get to objectively look at their squad in football terms rather than patriotic ones. if england win this world cup i will eat nelson mandela without garnish.

Hahahahah i'm just highlighting their nonsensical points of view & outlook on the beautiful Game as usual Stevie, that's all Mate.. :)

mate it's one of the fun bits about not being an england fan at world cup time, you get to objectively look at their squad in football terms rather than patriotic ones. if england win this world cup i will eat nelson mandela without garnish.

I'd go for Winnie personally, that Girl has some SERIOUS rump on her, with a bit of A1 Sauce & i'd be rocking.. :D

Never said i "wanted" Crouch in the side. I don't even particularily want him in the Tottenham side. He needs too many oppotunities. But, he does offer a different gameplan is needed.

Bent is just crap and offers nothing different. If we need him in the squad so bad it's bet not to waste time going to the finals. I had the misery of watching that brainless tw$t at Spurs and believe me, he would not step up to the level.

That spare position would enable you to take 3 little Strikers in my opinion, Rooney, Owen & the best finisher in the Country, Defoe..

:):D:D

I take what you mean about the superior Spurs midfield and thanks for that but that doesn't mean that Bent gets any less service, due to the way that Sunderland play he probaly gets most of Sunderlands service and the stats would confirm this :

Bent scored 24 from 47 Sunderland league goals

Defoe scored 18 from 63 Spurs league goals

So you are saying we pick the 4 strkers who have scored the most goals in the premiership regardless of there all round play, i think its more of a case of picking the players who will add a balance to the team and thus help the team to score more goals something which Mr Bent doesn't do according to his assist for this season (1), Defoe has 5 by the way.

If you take all competitions Defoe has actually scored more goals :

DB starts 39 sub app 0 goals 25

JD starts 36 sub app 11 goals 30

I don't think Crouch would be in the team for his goalscoring so how you compare Crouch to Bent i don't know as in case you hadn't realised they are a slightly different type of player and Crouch has actually scored at international level so Capello knows what he can do.

Although i'm not great lover of Crouch I happen to think that he is very more effective in international games than Enlish premier games, the reason being that foreign players are not use to playing against that type of forward in there domestic league.

That spare position would enable you to take 3 little Strikers in my opinion, Rooney, Owen & the best finisher in the Country, Defoe..

:):D:D

I take what you mean about the superior Spurs midfield and thanks for that but that doesn't mean that Bent gets any less service, due to the way that Sunderland play he probaly gets most of Sunderlands service and the stats would confirm this :

Bent scored 24 from 47 Sunderland league goals

Defoe scored 18 from 63 Spurs league goals

So you are saying we pick the 4 strkers who have scored the most goals in the premiership regardless of there all round play, i think its more of a case of picking the players who will add a balance to the team and thus help the team to score more goals something which Mr Bent doesn't do according to his assist for this season (1), Defoe has 5 by the way.

If you take all competitions Defoe has actually scored more goals :

DB starts 39 sub app 0 goals 25

JD starts 36 sub app 11 goals 30

I don't think Crouch would be in the team for his goalscoring so how you compare Crouch to Bent i don't know as in case you hadn't realised they are a slightly different type of player and Crouch has actually scored at international level so Capello knows what he can do.

Although i'm not great lover of Crouch I happen to think that he is very more effective in international games than Enlish premier games, the reason being that foreign players are not use to playing against that type of forward in there domestic league.

What are you trying to prove there then Alf ??

That i think Defoe isn't the best finisher in the Country when i think he is ??

That's not my point here, Defoe isn't the issue here cos i love Arnold & he'd be one of the forst names on my Team Sheet every week, my point here is that people on this Thread said/say that Bent isn't a good enough finisher & needs x amount of chances to score a Goal, yet he plays for a poor Sunderland side that give him worse service than what Defoe gets at T*ttenham & i think that's rubbish..

Getting " most " of Sunderland's service still doesn't mean it's better service than what T*ttenham's Midfield would give him this Year..

Darren Bent should go to the WC based purley on what he has done this Season, he's a Striker on form that can & does play the same role as what Rooney can up the top on his own ( if required & if we have a Plan to go & use that formation at certain stages of the Tournament, which i think we will ) & he can score goals & create his own chance, i'm not saying he should start though.

I don't think Defoe has scored as many as he should have done this Year due to injury etc & even a bit of poor form, i think Bent has been superb & what he lacks in service he makes up creating his own chances..

I'm not comparing Bent & Defoe as Player for Player either ALfredo & you know that so it's a bit unfair that you said i did, they are different Players of course but i just don't rate him at all & i HATE the way that having him in the Team makes England play Football..

Yeah he's scored Goals at International level, lookign at his record though he's scored them against the Footballing Superpowers of, wait for it, Hungary, Jamaica, Trinidad, Andorra, Macedonia, Estonia, Belarus & Austria to name a few so that needs to be taken into consideration too when you're saying about him at in " International " Games cos thse Countries i've mentioned there are on a par with League 2 Football at home.

All i'm doing here is highlighting the fact that Bent has scored 1 less Goal than what Defoe & Crouch have scored combined in teh League this Year yet both of them will 99% go...

& for me, you're talking to someone who wants to play Rooney & Defoe as a front 2 but has now decided that we play ( for wnat of a better term ) 4-5-1 because i don't wnat Heskey/Cole/Crouch, i hate playing a big Man just because he's a big Man & especially when our one's are <deleted>..

Rooney & Defoe would mean we'd have to play the Ball through the Midfield too & with Lampard, Barry, J Cole, Carrick & Gerrad, that's no hardship..

But now i'm going for Rooney up top on his own as i'm pretty sure he'll never go with Defoe & Rooney..

In Capello we trust..

Told you Centre Half was one of our main problems, this confirms it beyond all doubt..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...010/8648167.stm

I know most on here don't agree but i am convinced he will take King. The other so called candidates just won't cut it.

We will see.

be amazed if a pragmatist like capello gambles on a player who can't play two games in a week.

i do rate king hugely by the way and think it's a shame he's had so limited a career.

Darren Bent should go to the WC based purley on what he has done this Season, he's a Striker on form that can & does play the same role as what Rooney can up the top on his own ( if required & if we have a Plan to go & use that formation at certain stages of the Tournament, which i think we will ) & he can score goals & create his own chance, i'm not saying he should start though.

I just happen to think that a player needs to have more to his game than just scoring if he is going to be in an England squad and just because he has scored goals for his club doesn't guarantea he will score goals for England.

If he plays the same role as Rooney then why do we need to take two players who play the same way or are you suggesting that we take him in case Rooney breaks down in which case God help us A. for no Rooney B. having to play Bent :) .

On a slightly different note it looks like Capello still doesn't know who his front 2 will be or even if he is going to play 2 up front, a bit worrying i think when we are less than 6 weeks away from the start.

Edited by alfieconn

I just happen to think that a player needs to have more to his game than just scoring if he is going to be in an England squad and just because he has scored goals for his club doesn't guarantea he will score goals for England.

If he plays the same role as Rooney then why do we need to take two players who play the same way or are you suggesting that we take him in case Rooney breaks down in which case God help us A. for no Rooney B. having to play Bent :) .

On a slightly different note it looks like Capello still doesn't know who his front 2 will be or even if he is going to play 2 up front, a bit worrying i think when we are less than 6 weeks away from the start.

But Alf, this is my whole point Mate, Bent DOES have more to his Game than just scoring Goals & what i am saying is that this has to be the case because of the service hhe gets, which isn't that great !!!

24 Goals ( i think ), he does NOT get great service so has to have more to his Games than just scoring Goals, & he has, obviously...

If you don't rate him that's one thing but it's unfair & not true to say he is just a Goalscorer, because he's not..

Told you Centre Half was one of our main problems, this confirms it beyond all doubt..

Agree with your point, presumably about the fragilitity of Ferdinand, and Terry's flaws. Both are very average this season.

But don't understand your reference to the video clip.

I think Capello will slot King in.

Agree with your point, presumably about the fragilitity of Ferdinand, and Terry's flaws. Both are very average this season.

I agree with you on Terry & Ferdinand, but what i'm saying is if this Clown thinks he is our back up, & will be our back up, we're in trouble, big trouble..

I have watched every minute that he has been on a Premiership Pitch this Season & he is <deleted> !!!

King has started 14 Games this Season, if Capello feels he doesn't need to play him in the Group Games he might, only might, be an option but otherwise he's a waste of a place..

For me, Jagielka & Cahill, i'd rather see 2 Fella's that will be proud to play for their Country & show the heart & passion we want, than watch Terry & Ferdinand screw up our World Cup & cry.

Edited by MSingh

I agree with you on Terry & Ferdinand, but what i'm saying is if this Clown thinks he is our back up, & will be our back up, we're in trouble, big trouble..

I have watched every minute that he has been on a Premiership Pitch this Season & he is <deleted> !!!

King has started 14 Games this Season, if Capello feels he doesn't need to play him in the Group Games he might, only might, be an option but otherwise he's a waste of a place..

For me, Jagielka & Cahill, i'd rather see 2 Fella's that will be proud to play for their Country & show the heart & passion we want, than watch Terry & Ferdinand screw up our World Cup & cry.

Or Michael Dawson..

Ferdinand when fit on his day he is a world class defender you have to take him,did not know jagielka can play for england?be a good shout for back up if he can.

I know most on here don't agree but i am convinced he will take King. The other so called candidates just won't cut it.

We will see.

be amazed if a pragmatist like capello gambles on a player who can't play two games in a week.

i do rate king hugely by the way and think it's a shame he's had so limited a career.

I know what you mean but i think he'll take a chance on JT and RF's fitness and take King on the basis that if one gets suspended atleast he has a top quality replacement. Especially important in the latter stages. ( I also think we will see King play two games in a few days coming up without a problem) I don't think Capello would do this in normal circumstances but the situation is that dire.