England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

look at this lot. look at the midfield!

Spain:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico de Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villareal), Jose Manuel 'Pepe' Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabier Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javier Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona).

Forwards: Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Daniel Guiza (Fenerbache), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), David Villa (Valencia).

so what you are saying Stevie is that they are not bad after all?

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spain:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico de Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villareal), Jose Manuel 'Pepe' Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabier Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javier Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona).

Forwards: Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Daniel Guiza (Fenerbache), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), David Villa (Valencia).

Bwahahahahaah ridiculously good, the whole way through..

Anyone who beats this Country will win the Tournament.

Spain:

are you trying to confuse me jimbo? or are you just doing a rhetorical one?

Spain:

:)

Wow. Perhaps our boys should just stay at home. :D

Spain:

Sorry mate, you was stating the obvious so I was taking the piss. Midfield and forwards are Grade A, still think they can be scored against.

Spain:

Sorry mate, you was stating the obvious so I was taking the piss. Midfield and forwards are Grade A, still think they can be scored against.

ah gotcha, thought you were implying that i'd previously not rated spain!

dunno, i think ramos - puyol - pique - capdevila is about as strong as it gets in this tournament. and if you get past that you still have to beat casillas, reina or valdes. mad squad depth.

Ramos? watched pretty much all Madrid games this year and he makes Pepe look good in defense. Anyways, they will win a few by 4-2 margins I suspect. Maybe the French will meet them in a semi-final and Blatter / Platini and crew will have a tough decision to make.

Ramos? watched pretty much all Madrid games this year and he makes Pepe look good in defense. Anyways, they will win a few by 4-2 margins I suspect. Maybe the French will meet them in a semi-final and Blatter / Platini and crew will have a tough decision to make.

you've not seen the french squad then? domenech's mental.

i saw it Stevie. No Benzema, No Nasri. No brains. C'est la vie.

really, you obviously didnt pay a blind bit of notice to scott parker this season, he more or less saved west ham this season, despite playing amongst baffoons ,and zolas tactics, fellla deserves a medal for his commitment, if he were at a more fashionable club, performing as he does, cappello would play him without hesitation

scott parker had a good season for west ham and helped them narrowly avoid relegation - that makes him world cup quality does it? moot point anyway as he won't be going.

Of course it doesn't Stevie, don't be silly..

Fact is the Guy had a superb Season playing in an awful, awful Team..

I'm all for having Englishmen who sing the National Anthem, who wear their Heart on their Sleeve etc etc & Parker is one of them..

He's not a bad Player either, he wouldn't let us down..

I've seen worse options out there, Jermaine Jenas for an example who has shown nothing ever of what i mention above..

I'd love for Parker to play a part in our campaign. I don't care if he's not considered world cup quality. He gives a sh1t and gives everything he has got every time he steps on the pitch.

Serious ??

No Benzema ??

Serious ??

No Benzema ??

no benzema, no nasri, no vieira. last one maybe more understandable.

argentina no cambiasso. diego back on the gak.

news reaching us now that john terry has done his metatarsal. perhaps carragher called up with good reason after all. :)

Just saw that news about terry, probably a blessing in disguise.

what, england losing its brave, three lions figurehead? actually thinking about it it might be a good thing that terry's not there if carra's taking the family.

at least capello can now call wayne bridge up.

what, england losing its brave, three lions figurehead? actually thinking about it it might be a good thing that terry's not there if carra's taking the family.

We can only pray..

Isn't it mad about Cambiasso, Nasri & Benzema though, Javier Zanettii too you know for the Argies ??

Spain:

Bwahahahahaah ridiculously good, the whole way through..

Anyone who beats this Country will win the Tournament.

Blimey how do you choose the goalie never mind the rest! :)

We can only pray..

Isn't it mad about Cambiasso, Nasri & Benzema though, Javier Zanettii too you know for the Argies ??

aye, zanetti's a legend. bucktoothed ronnie left out as well. don't know who this bloke thinks he is telling the manager of brasil what to do though.

Dunga wrong to leave out Ronaldinho, says World Cup organiser

• Player should go as 'matter of course' says Danny Jordaan

• World Cup will 'suffer' without the Milan midfielder

Danny Jordaan, the head World Cup head organiser, has criticised Dunga for leaving Ronaldinho out of Brazil's first-choice squad for the tournament, saying some coaches are "blinded" by a sense of power.

Jordaan said Ronaldinho is a "soccer genius" who had talents "enjoyed by few in the game, both past and present".

Ronaldinho will only play in South Africa if there are injuries to other players after Dunga left the two-time world player of the year out of his 23-man squad yesterday.

Jordaan said it was it was "sad and unfortunate", the tournament would suffer without Ronaldinho and that someone of Dunga's experience should have selected the Milan midfielder "as a matter of course".

We can only pray..

Argentina- No Cambiasso or Zaneti :) cant work that one out its absolute crazy! Cambiasso as been in fantastic form of late and I can think of a better passer of the ball they can rely on in that team and is Veron a better choice? And to go to the World Cup without Zaneti's experience is crazy especially when you look at their back line.

Having said all that they seem pretty impressive in attack with Messi, Aguero, Higuan and and... they wont be lacking potential match winners.

We can only pray..

Argentina- No Cambiasso or Zaneti :) cant work that one out its absolute crazy! Cambiasso as been in fantastic form of late and I can think of a better passer of the ball they can rely on in that team and is Veron a better choice? And to go to the World Cup without Zaneti's experience is crazy especially when you look at their back line.

Having said all that they seem pretty impressive in attack with Messi, Aguero, Higuan and and... they wont be lacking potential match winners.

yup. if those three aren't doing it he can always bring on tevez, milito, di maria. . . .think argentina are a great outside bet to win the thing myself. 7/1 seems to be about the price for them.

We can only pray..

yup. if those three aren't doing it he can always bring on tevez, milito, di maria. . . .think argentina are a great outside bet to win the thing myself. 7/1 seems to be about the price for them.

I can't see it, i think they're great & have some fabulous Attackers but they are clueless as a Unit because of their Manager.

I'd be amazed if they got anywhere near the Semi's..

• 2 weeks later...

OK. here goes with my 22.

James, Green, Hart

G.Johnson, Carragher, Ferdinand, Terry, King, Warnock, A.cole

Barry, Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, J.Cole, Lennon, A.Johnson

Rooney, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott, Heskey.

23rd man : Carrick

I think it is really important England have 2 centre forwards available in the early stages, otherwise I'd have left out Heskey.

Carrick is insurance against Barry.

It was a toss up J.cole or SWP.

For the sake of balance I thought it important England have a at least 3 left footers.

Here's my 23;

Most International teams take only 7 defenders, 9 midfielders and 4 Strikers:

GK: Green, Hart, James

DF: Ferdinand, Terry, G Johnson, A Cole, Upson, Carragher, King

(Explanation: Carragher can cover left back, right back, centre back; Upson can cover CB and LB; King is 1st cover for Ferdi-Terry)

MF: Gerrard, Lampard, J Cole, A Johnson, Lennon, Walcott, Milner, Parker, Barry(if fit) if not, toss up between Huddlestone & Carrick.

(Explanation: Parker is the best defensive midfielder after Hargreaves and Barry for England & we definitely need 1. On the news says Barry recovery is going very well and if he is fit by England's first game; he can cover at LB too. Milner can cover at Right back if needed and so can Gerrard. A Johnson is the wild card and could create some magic like J Cole)

FW: Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Bent

(Explanation: Simply because Bent scored 25 Goals this season and Heskey is utterly useless compared to 1 year ago.)

The squad basically depends on the fitness of Barry in order to take 7 or 8 defenders.

My 1st XI would be:

Green

G Johnson Ferdinand Terry A cole

Lampard Barry/Parker

Lennon Gerrard A Johnson

Rooney

(Green more experience than Hart; not sure how good James is anymore)

(Back 4 speaks for itself)

(Lennon better than Walcott; Gerrard and Rooney should play same position as with their clubs; if Barry is fit, he plays if not Parker. A Johnson can dribble, shoot, cross accurately and is a left footer; Lampard is Lampard )

I'm with you on everything i thing Vic except i'd have J Cole starting over A Johnson..

I really like J.Cole, and I would include Johnson in the 22.

But J.Cole as a starter, no I don't reckon so based on his present form. I think it's the subs bench, and he could be one of those that doesn't make the plane; that would be sad but it is a possibility.

i've come around to preferring crouch to heskey up top in a 4-2-3-1 formation. crouch knows where the goal is and is a threat in himself, something heskey just isn't - however well he links up with the other, better, players around him.

gerrard, rooney and one other, will probably be lennon (though i'd have adam johnson) buzzing around off crouch with cole and glen johnson attacking down the flanks will make chances. lot rests on barry being fit to anchor though.

I also think outsiders (Messi, Gullit, Platini etc etc) should stop talking about England as one of the world cup favourites. They should concentrate on their own team.

Would suit us better without having the players thinking they are the best even before winning anything. Dont expect anything and England might actually get far.....