England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

Walcott and Bent to miss out , Carrick going ... Really cant see why he would take Carrick after his poor showing against Mexico.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8715254.stm

The unofficial gossip through the grapevine and then out through Smokie's letterbox is that SWP is in at the expense of Walcott.!!!

I posted Fabio the team list earlier this morning....after careful deliberations I might add.... :)

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would of had taken Scotty Parker over Carrick any day of the week, also would of taken Bent instead of that buffoon Heskey!!.....nice to see the Chelsea 4 making it, all to start no doubt! :)

What do you guys think about penalty taking responsibilty?

Is it too late to change? Is Lampard going to buckle under the pressure should the chance arise, bearing in mind his last two penalty kicks?

If Gerrard starts (which by the way i don't think he should, but probably will) i think he might be a better bet.

I like the final 23, its a very strong squad and any team will want to avoid us, until the latter stages when, as we know, anything can happen,

Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, wake up and smell the roses, any other team would kill for such a problem

It's time to stop the <deleted> and get behind the team........

COME ON ENGLAND!!

Bias, absolutely!!

Is it too late to change? Is Lampard going to buckle under the pressure should the chance arise, bearing in mind his last two penalty kicks?

If Gerrard starts (which by the way i don't think he should, but probably will) i think he might be a better bet.

Wayne Rooney.

lampard's always been an incredibly consistent penalty taker so i've been surprised by his last couple. gerrard used to be crap at them but in the last few years has become really steady. wouldn't really fancy picking five from the squad though. :)

I like the final 23, its a very strong squad and any team will want to avoid us, until the latter stages when, as we know, anything can happen,

Gerrard and Lampard can't play together, wake up and smell the roses, any other team would kill for such a problem

It's time to stop the <deleted> and get behind the team........

COME ON ENGLAND!!

Bias, absolutely!!

doubt it. seeing as most other top teams play their best players in their best positions. it's funny how brasil never seem to try and shoehorn kaka into central midfield alongside gilberto or argentina plonk messi in the centre circle next to mascherano isn't it?

Edited by StevieH

doubt it. seeing as most other top teams play their best players in their best positions. it's funny how brasil never seem to try and shoehorn kaka into central midfield alongside gilberto or argentina plonk messi in the centre circle next to mascherano isn't it?

Square pegs. Round holes.

gerrard used to be crap at them but in the last few years has become really steady. wouldn't really fancy picking five from the squad though. :)

Now there's a terrifying thought!

Mr Terry anybody?

defoe, lampard, gerrard, rooney, milner followed by .., ..., ...., Green / James, and lastly Ferdinand and Terry.

gerrard used to be crap at them but in the last few years has become really steady. wouldn't really fancy picking five from the squad though. :)

Mr Terry anybody?

defoe, lampard, gerrard, rooney, milner followed by .., ..., ...., Green / James, and lastly Ferdinand and Terry.

assumes you've managed to get that five onto the pitch by the end of extra time though doesn't it? crouch is a good penalty taker and ashley cole has taken them in shootouts and scored a few times.

lampard, gerrard, barry, rooney, cole if the strongest team is on the pitch. wouldn't trust ferdinand, terry, lennon, heskey to score.

gerrard used to be crap at them but in the last few years has become really steady. wouldn't really fancy picking five from the squad though. :D

Mr Terry anybody?

assumes you've managed to get that five onto the pitch by the end of extra time though doesn't it? crouch is a good penalty taker and ashley cole has taken them in shootouts and scored a few times.

lampard, gerrard, barry, rooney, cole if the strongest team is on the pitch. wouldn't trust ferdinand, terry, lennon, heskey to score.

That's why I put the keepers before Rio and JT. :)

two england captains and you can't trust either of them with the responsibility of scoring from twelve yards. pretty embarrassing that.

i wouldn't trust david james to score in amsterdam.

two england captains and you can't trust either of them with the responsibility of scoring from twelve yards. pretty embarrassing that.

i wouldn't trust david james to score in amsterdam.

maybe on a moonless night.

Was anybody surprised by Walcott's exclusion? Those two fine judges,Chris Waddle and Alan Shearer certainly weren't. No,they knew all along that he wouldn't go.They didn't say so BEFORE the squad was announced but it was always on as"Capello was always going to go for tried and trusted performers" (but Walcott's played in 5 of the 9 qualifying games,bonny lads.) and "Capello was only going to take players who were in form and playing regularly for their clubs."(Ofcourse,thats why he picked Joe Cole,Shaun Wright Phillips and Michael Carrick,players that featured week in and week out).Why is it that these people have always got to be seen to be right all the time?Is it that their egos have shifted from the pitch to the TV settee?

Was anybody surprised by Walcott's exclusion? Those two fine judges,Chris Waddle and Alan Shearer certainly weren't. No,they knew all along that he wouldn't go.They didn't say so BEFORE the squad was announced but it was always on as"Capello was always going to go for tried and trusted performers" (but Walcott's played in 5 of the 9 qualifying games,bonny lads.) and "Capello was only going to take players who were in form and playing regularly for their clubs."(Ofcourse,thats why he picked Joe Cole,Shaun Wright Phillips and Michael Carrick,players that featured week in and week out).Why is it that these people have always got to be seen to be right all the time?Is it that their egos have shifted from the pitch to the TV settee?

think shearer's an idiot who knows no more about football than the average pub bore.

walcott not going is a bit of a surprise but then there was never much to choose between him, lennon and SWP. it's not a shocker on the scale of argentina leaving out zanetti and cambiasso or brasil leaving out ronaldinho is it? it's probably about on a par with italy omitting giuseppe rossi.

think shearer's an idiot who knows no more about football than the average pub bore.

walcott not going is a bit of a surprise but then there was never much to choose between him, lennon and SWP. it's not a shocker on the scale of argentina leaving out zanetti and cambiasso or brasil leaving out ronaldinho is it? it's probably about on a par with italy omitting giuseppe rossi.

well here are shearer's predictions prior to the announcement. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...010/8712118.stm

well here are shearer's predictions prior to the announcement. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...010/8712118.stm

must be why he was such a roaring success as newcastle manager.

Shearer as we all know was an inspirational player. He is also the most boring pundit i have ever had the misfortune to have to listen too. His analysis of the final "23" concludes to me that he is also a total dunce.

Shearer as we all know was an inspirational player. He is also the most boring pundit i have ever had the misfortune to have to listen too. His analysis of the final "23" concludes to me that he is also a total dunce.

In his quest to save the Barcodes, while standing on the sideline watching his team get scored upon - again and again, he would turn his head and with a dumb look and stare at Dowie. :)

you've not listened to bbc radio five's steve claridge then? he's the biggest moron i've ever heard comment on football. and that even includes a few of the posters on this board.

you've not listened to bbc radio five's steve claridge then? he's the biggest moron i've ever heard comment on football. and that even includes a few of the posters on this board.

...and these guys are being paid for there expert analysis! Have you ever listened to the pearls of wisdom spouted out by the one and only Efan Ekoku! You can lose the will to live!!

...and these guys are being paid for there expert analysis! Have you ever listened to the pearls of wisdom spouted out by the one and only Efan Ekoku! You can lose the will to live!!

talksport has the worst, lowest common denominator ones but sky sports is starting to run them close. radio five used to be a decent standard of pundit, but these days they've dumbed down too so for every interesting one like graham taylor or david pleat there's a claridge or a shearer.

Maybe you should apply for a pundits job Stevie,as you said earlier most of them(and on here :D )seem to know nothing about football.

You should do ok coming from Liverpool...what with Thompson,Hansen and Lawro and mcmahon i think ex liverpool players are all over the media these days chatting shit! and i know there are about ten more at least it seems they know where the easy money is?

Maybe you could enlighten them with a few truths :)

Maybe you should apply for a pundits job Stevie,as you said earlier most of them(and on here :D )seem to know nothing about football.

You should do ok coming from Liverpool...what with Thompson,Hansen and Lawro and mcmahon i think ex liverpool players are all over the media these days chatting shit! and i know there are about ten more at least it seems they know where the easy money is?

liverpool has more ex-players working in the media than any other club. it's depressing. some of the worst ones are the younger generation too, know-nowt blerts like jamie redknapp and stan collymore. michael owen will be next up in a year or two.

liverpool has more ex-players working in the media than any other club. it's depressing. some of the worst ones are the younger generation too, know-nowt blerts like jamie redknapp and stan collymore. michael owen will be next up in a year or two.

I heard through the sour grape vine that Michael Owen is being trained secretly by McMahon to open a grave yard north of Anfield called Un Profitable Plots.

talksport has the worst, lowest common denominator ones but sky sports is starting to run them close. radio five used to be a decent standard of pundit, but these days they've dumbed down too so for every interesting one like graham taylor or david pleat there's a claridge or a shearer.

Take it you're being facetious about Taylor and Pleat? Surely.

Lampard won't buckle under the pressure, I remember a certain crucial pen that he had to score just after his mum died and he smashed it!, he has missed the last two yes but I would stay with him!