England Squad - The 23

mommysboy

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rooney limping off with what looks like a groin injury....maybe a few weeks out....England might as well stay at home if he's not fit. :)

I'm sure he'll be ok.

Here's my rushed 30. It's not at all easy to do and I hope I have not made an awful error:

Green, James, Hart, Robinson.

Neville, Johnson, Carragher, King, Terry, Ferdinand, Warnock, A.Cole

Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Barry, Downing, Hargreaves, J.Cole, Johnson, Lennon, SWP, Milner.

Rooney, Defoe, Heskey, Walcott, Zamora, Bent, Crouch.

As I understand it Capello is not actually beholden to this 30, in that he wouldn't need to replace anyone in the final 23 (is it) with someone who was in the 30. Is that right?

For me the issue is about the attack.

You have to really give the benefit of doubt for some selections,eg, Heskey, J.Cole. But I put them in as they are proven class, J.Cole in particular is one of our few flair players.

Rooney limping off with what looks like a groin injury....maybe a few weeks out....England might as well stay at home if he's not fit. :)

I'm sure he'll be ok.

Here's my rushed 30. It's not at all easy to do and I hope I have not made an awful error:

Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Barry, Downing, Hargreaves, J.Cole, Johnson, Lennon, SWP, Milner.

As I understand it Capello is not actually beholden to this 30, in that he wouldn't need to replace anyone in the final 23 (is it) with someone who was in the 30. Is that right?

You have to really give the benefit of doubt for some selections,eg, Heskey, J.Cole. But I put them in as they are proven class, J.Cole in particular is one of our few flair players.

Not bad but I'd give Dawson a run instead of Carragher. If Capello feels he's not right then he can bring in the more proven player later imo. :D

I'm sure he'll be ok.

Not bad but I'd give Dawson a run instead of Carragher. If Capello feels he's not right then he can bring in the more proven player later imo. :D

A fair point. Dawson at least deserves 1 chance, he's played very well.

Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green,

Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock,

Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips,

Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

He will take Brown who u have missed of that list and will be in the 23!.. before Dawson because he can cover full back where we have not got much cover for??

The squad has been announced:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Forwards: Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney.

Clearly Capello is more set in his attacking choices than at the back. It's a great squad when you think about it.

Defenders: Leighton Baines, Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock.

Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Clearly Capello is more set in his attacking choices than at the back. It's a great squad when you think about it.

really? i see lots of injured and out of form players. rooney, lampard and ashley cole have had excellent seasons, everyone else, meh.

really? i see lots of injured and out of form players. rooney, lampard and ashley cole have had excellent seasons, everyone else, meh.

Stevie. Come on pick an 11. The team you pick won't be perfect, but it will be very good.

really, you obviously didnt pay a blind bit of notice to scott parker this season, he more or less saved west ham this season, despite playing amongst baffoons ,and zolas tactics, fellla deserves a medal for his commitment,

if he were at a more fashionable club, performing as he does, cappello would play him without hesitation

really, you obviously didnt pay a blind bit of notice to scott parker this season, he more or less saved west ham this season, despite playing amongst baffoons ,and zolas tactics, fellla deserves a medal for his commitment,

if he were at a more fashionable club, performing as he does, cappello would play him without hesitation

I see six of our players made the squad though imola. What a wise manager Capello is turning out to be. :)

I see six of our players made the squad though imola. What a wise manager Capello is turning out to be. :D

yeh right , i can just picture tom huddlestone, holding aloft the trophy on the 11th july :)

yeh right , i can just picture tom huddlestone, holding aloft the trophy on the 11th july :)

Good point imola he should add Jenas to the squad and also half the scammers team. That should prevent any nasty surprises! :D

Oooooh! The excitement starts already!!!

Honoured to be the first poster with my first XI:

GK: GREEN

RB: JOHNSON CB: FERDINAND CB: TERRY LB: COLE

RM: LENNON CM: LAMPARD CM: GERRARD LM: MILNER

FW: ROONEY FW: CROUCH

Could just as easily swap in Gerrard into LM and put Carrick in centre too, or even Barry or Wright-Phillips in at LM... or Adam Johnson's looking quite good for RM atm too...hmmm.... :D

Back four looks pretty solid, as usual! Left wing is definitely a moot spot though, I feel.

Wish we had another true-blue striker to draw on as well - pretty disappointing to see Agbonlahor left out, but it's really only Rooney that stands out as a world-class talent upfront. It's an indictment on the glamour buys of imported strikers in the premiership that the best in the league are mostly foreign.

But then Crouch does do the job more often than not, even if we often don't expect it, so who knows, maybe he'll shine this WC...!?

COME ON ENGER-LAND!

:)

Edited by damaja

As for who to drop to get the final 23?...:

Joe Hart

Michael Dawson,

Stephen Warnock,

Matthew Upson,

Tom Huddlestone,

Darren Bent,

Emile Heskey.

Upson's had his chances really... as has Heskey.

Bent's ok, but I don't think we need the tough 'holding' boys like him and Heskey so much when we've got Rooney, and Defoe would be a better stand-in for Rooney than Bent if worse came to it (please, please, please don't let it come to it though!)

Plus, what happened with Micah Richards? Is he injured?

....oh!

ok, now i see there's another "England Squad..." thread that's been going since last December!!??

:D

I'll go back to my corner

:)

Edited by damaja

He will take Brown who u have missed of that list and will be in the 23!.. before Dawson because he can cover full back where we have not got much cover for??

Brown's not fit.

Would have had more playing time for United if he had been

Stevie. Come on pick an 11. The team you pick won't be perfect, but it will be very good.

i've posted it repeatedly on here mb. if all fit england start as:

green/james

johnson ferdinand terry cole

lampard barry

walcott rooney gerrard

heskey.

i can see well-organised teams stifling the hel_l out of england in this world cup and just letting england have the ball in front of them then looking to counter-attack against them. the goalkeeper is crap, the two centrebacks are injury prone and error prone, barry's probably not fit nor is hargreaves so no top class sitting midfielder, they have a non-scoring striker and the team will be overly reliant on rooney.

really, you obviously didnt pay a blind bit of notice to scott parker this season, he more or less saved west ham this season, despite playing amongst baffoons ,and zolas tactics, fellla deserves a medal for his commitment, if he were at a more fashionable club, performing as he does, cappello would play him without hesitation

scott parker had a good season for west ham and helped them narrowly avoid relegation - that makes him world cup quality does it? moot point anyway as he won't be going.

6 centre backs :)

Do you get the feelin he thinks we are going to be defending a lot?? <deleted>

this is the preliminary squad of 30 which will be pared down to 23. 2 of those 6 centrebacks won't be going, probably dawson and upson.

green/james

lampard barry

walcott rooney gerrard

heskey.

i can see well-organised teams stifling the hel_l out of england in this world cup and just letting england have the ball in front of them then looking to counter-attack against them. the goalkeeper is crap, the two centrebacks are injury prone and error prone, barry's probably not fit nor is hargreaves so no top class sitting midfielder, they have a non-scoring striker and the team will be overly reliant on rooney.

really, you obviously didnt pay a blind bit of notice to scott parker this season, he more or less saved west ham this season, despite playing amongst baffoons ,and zolas tactics, fellla deserves a medal for his commitment, if he were at a more fashionable club, performing as he does, cappello would play him without hesitation

scott parker had a good season for west ham and helped them narrowly avoid relegation - that makes him world cup quality does it? moot point anyway as he won't be going.

If any of you have seen the Brazillian squad just announced you'll know we have absolutely nothing to worry about. :D Ronaldinho, Neymar and Adriano did'nt make the squad :)

green/james

lampard barry

walcott rooney gerrard

heskey.

If any of you have seen the Brazillian squad just announced you'll know we have absolutely nothing to worry about. :D Ronaldinho, Neymar and Adriano did'nt make the squad :)

hehe, yep, that's how strong they are. watch the spain one too.

Of course it doesn't Stevie, don't be silly..

Fact is the Guy had a superb Season playing in an awful, awful Team..

I'm all for having Englishmen who sing the National Anthem, who wear their Heart on their Sleeve etc etc & Parker is one of them..

He's not a bad Player either, he wouldn't let us down..

I've seen worse options out there, Jermaine Jenas for an example who has shown nothing ever of what i mention above..

I'm all for having Englishmen who sing the National Anthem, who wear their Heart on their Sleeve etc etc & Parker is one of them..

I've seen worse options out there, Jermaine Jenas for an example who has shown nothing ever of what i mention above..

Why is it, when anyone was to make a statement of mediocraty or an example of a "worse option" JJ's name seems to spring up with remarkable regularity. :)

Why is it, when anyone was to make a statement of mediocraty or an example of a "worse option" JJ's name seems to spring up with remarkable regularity. :D

You know why, just as i do.. :)

look at this lot. look at the midfield!

Spain:

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid), David De Gea (Atletico de Madrid), Diego Lopez (Villareal), Jose Manuel 'Pepe' Reina (Liverpool), Victor Valdes (Barcelona).

Defenders: Raul Albiol (Real Madrid), Alvaro Arbeloa (Real Madrid), Cesar Azpilicueta (Osasuna), Joan Capdevila (Villarreal), Carlos Marchena (Valencia), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Carles Puyol (Barcelona), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid).

Midfielders: Xabier Alonso (Real Madrid), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona), Javier Martinez (Athletic Bilbao), Marcos Senna (Villarreal), David Silva (Valencia), Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona).

Forwards: Santiago Cazorla (Villarreal), Jesus Navas (Sevilla), Juan Manuel Mata (Valencia), Pedro Rodriguez (Barcelona), Daniel Guiza (Fenerbache), Fernando Llorente (Athletic Bilbao), Alvaro Negredo (Sevilla), Fernando Torres (Liverpool), David Villa (Valencia).