Minimum Cash Required To Enter Thiland

Dear members

just got this mail from my travel agent,dont know how reliable this is,tried to find link but nothing available.anyone have any info on this?

Greetings from SRK Holidays:

If your travelling to Thailand or have any friends travelling to Thailand soon,

please ensure this message is passed on :

Minimum Funds Required To Enter Thailand:

We have been informed by Immigration Department, Bangkok that to be in line with the regulation imposed by the Ministry of Interior, Kingdom of Thailand, with immediate effect, all passengers arriving in Thailand must have sufficient funds as follows to show at the immigration before entry is permitted.

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

The above funds may be held in any permitted currency.Kindly adhere to the above as insufficient funds on arrival could result in refusal to enter Thailand.

Other countries require a minimum amount of money when you enter the country, but I was never asked to show my wallet. It would be interesting to know if this is true and if they will enforce this. What are the permitted currencies? Who permits them? Maybe the immigration officer if you give some to him in order to check if they are permitted or not? :)

Anyway, today many prefer not to carry a lot of cash and use their ATM cards. So if this is a new rule, this is bizarre.

P.S. I think this should be moved to the visa section

Edited by Brunus

Normally you don't need it all in cash but have access to that amount. Does the information have specifically say cash? The rule is not new, just they don't bother to check unless they wanted to find reason to refuse entry.

Thanks. You are more useful than the immigration website.

It certainly used to be on the immigration website, but I can't find it now :)

Not a new rule, but very seldom enforced, more likely to be used as an excuse for not letting someone in who appears undesirable.

Moving to visas.

I never have any cash on me and I wonder who, in their right minds, would ask for such or such amount

I deem that credit cards are plenty enough a proof and if needed this amount could be withdrawn

I also remember, some years ago, that travellers were not allowed to have any Thai baht on them (mind you it is said in any currencies)

I remember reading this kind of rule many years ago. Fifteen years arriving at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi, never been asked for anything. And never carried that cash, either - always prepared to show a credit card or ATM card, but never asked to see those. Guess I always looked respectable, despite the backpack!

I have never been hassled in Thailand. However I was denied entry into Canada once for not carrying enough cash. They did not count, ATM or credit cards. They wanted $35 USD a day for the two weeks I told them I was going to stay. $35 X 14 days = $490 At the time I could only get $200 a day out of the ATM, so finding an ATM wouldn't have even worked. I had to turn around and go home. I don't know about Thailand, but only cash and travelers checks count in Canada.

I had read about that requirement also. I came into country on 4 Dec and thru immigration

with no question about monetary funds. :D Unfortunately I'm now back in the USA freezing my

arse off. :D

How can you be freezing your arse off in the USA? Surely you're freezing your ass off? :)

The OP's post represents a range of 10,000 to 40,000 Baht --- that's only US$300 to US$1200

The requirement for retirement in Siam is a minimum of 800,000 Baht in the Bank ( around US$25,000 ) or 65,000 Baht per month in income ( Less than US$2000 PER MONTH! )

If you can't prove the ability to come up with US$1200 upon entry into ANY country - should you be traveling in the first place? --OR-- could you even afford to be traveling anywhere?

It is like some Posters wrote already, its a regulation which is not enforced normaly to "normal" Falangs.

But could be enforced to some other groups from Asian, African or Ex-Sovietunion countrys who probably, mostly cannot show that kind of cash money at all, who have also no credi cards or other funds because they will find the income here, as females on Sukhumvits or Pattayas roads for example.

This group of people is targeted.

Anyway, I always say, maybe a satellite falls from the sky, so I have usualy some cash, enough to meet that regulations with me entering the country, as a security.

Kind regards, merry Christmas, also I happy I do not see much from Christmas here in the Isan-Pampas.

Tangentially, I was in the Thai Consulate in Munich this morning. They had a hand-written notice stating that more than €10,000 in foreign currency going in or out had to be declared.

That's Euros, not Baht.

So if you like risking carrying cash to get a better rate of exchange, be aware.