Uk Visa Holiday

UK visit visas are normally valid for 6 months and are multi entry. Which means that the holder can stay in the UK until the visa expires and leave and re-enter the UK as many times as they like during the life of the visa.

Staying longer than originally stated would not breach any of the visa's conditions, and would not be grounds, in itself, for refusing a subsequent application.

However, whilst there are set criteria that have to be met, I believe part of the decision to issue a visa comes down to the applicant's credibility. Having said this time that they wish to stay for three weeks, the next time they apply they should explain why they stayed 6 months.

Last time I did this was two years ago so it may have changed but I always asked for 4-5 weeks and the girl stayed for two months (and often did a second one month visit). We did this about five times over a five year period without any problems getting her the VV every year.

However, be aware that immigration now know how long you originally asked for and if it is not matched by the ticket she could have a lot of hassle when she gets to the UK, so make sure the airticket matches what was originally requested.

Arguably, if you were to ask for a marriage visa next time, staying six months together on a VV could be a bonus as it helps define your relationship.

• 4 weeks later...

However, whilst there are set criteria that have to be met, I believe part of the decision to issue a visa comes down to the applicant's credibility. Having said this time that they wish to stay for three weeks, the next time they apply they should explain why they stayed 6 months.

Is a stay of 6 months uncommon and likely to decrease the chances of a successful application?

Should this affect future applications? Providing the Visa holder does not overstay an applicants credibility shouldnt be negated, afterall there are legitimate reasons why one might want to stay longer???

Edited by steveweaver99

If the UK/BA believe that your circumstances have changed they may refuse you entry and send you back on the next available flight.

I have seen this happen an applicant failed to travel with her partner they deemed it a significant change in circumstances and she was refused entry very harsh IMO however it does happen.

Is a stay of 6 months uncommon and likely to decrease the chances of a successful application?

Should this affect future applications? Providing the Visa holder does not overstay an applicants credibility shouldnt be negated, afterall there are legitimate reasons why one might want to stay longer???

If the applicant has a genuine reason for staying in the UK for 6 months and can show that they will leave the UK at the end of this, then they will be successful; provided the other criteria are met.

As said, staying longer than originally intended and stated is not, by itself, grounds for refusal of a subsequent application. However, if the ECO has doubts about this subsequent application then this could add to those doubts. Especially if, for example, a job and employer's letter were used to show that the applicant could only be absent for a few weeks and they then stay for 6 months and even more so if that same job and same employer are used in the subsequent application!

Which is why I recommend stating the actual time one intends to stay in the UK on the application and if that time is exceeded explaining the reasons for staying longer than intended in any subsequent application.

Thanks for the info.

Im interested to know how many applicants actually put a 6 month stay and are successful? How many apply for several weeks and then stay longer (not exceeding the 6 months) and have problems with future applications.

In the eyes of a ECO a 3 week holiday is realistic, but probably not a 6 month?

If the truth be known I would like my partner to stay for 6 months to familarise herself with my family and surroundings, just as much as I would stay in Thailand for 6 months or more for the same reasons????

Be interested to know peoples experiences of their partners applications (length of stay, did they extend, did they apply for a 6 month stay) and any future aplications and any issues?

Thanks all.

In the eyes of a ECO a 3 week holiday is realistic, but probably not a 6 month?
It all depends on the circumstances of the applicant, their relationship with their sponsor (if any), the reason for the visit etc. Each case is different and treated on it's own merits.
If the truth be known I would like my partner to stay for 6 months to familarise herself with my family and surroundings, just as much as I would stay in Thailand for 6 months or more for the same reasons????
Then that is what you should put on the application.

Not wishing to imply anything, but please do not try to make the application fit what you think the ECO wants to see; tell them the situation as it is.

If she were to be interviewed, which is unlikely, her answers must be consistent with the application. If questioned at immigration on arrival, her answers must be consistent with the application. When making any future application for any type of visa, her answers on that application must be consistent with this one.

The only way to ensure that, IMHO, is to tell the truth.

Things like a job to go back to are obviously lies if you stay 6 months instead of 3 weeks. If you had covered that with her working for her family business then you are better off. Also money, you need a totally different amount of cash for 3 weeks or 6 months.

I don't think it is rocket science. You wouldn't believe someone who said they had £1000 for 6 months but you would for 3 weeks. Apply the same logic.

Things like a job to go back to are obviously lies if you stay 6 months instead of 3 weeks. If you had covered that with her working for her family business then you are better off. Also money, you need a totally different amount of cash for 3 weeks or 6 months.

I think this might depend on the employer, some are more flexible than others, but I understand what you are saying.

I guess as one said its a case by case thing.

Thanks guys very imformative.

Be interesting to know how agencies address this.

Edited by steveweaver99

We asked for a 6 month tourist visa for a 6 month visit. Granted.

Heathrow border asked lots of questions to a 6 month holiday.

He called his boss. Who said go with the visa in the passport allowed us in.

This is a good point and one that should always be remembered, a visa only allows you to travel but doesn't guarantee that you will be admitted into the country.

In this case Mark did it by the book, a six month visit was applied for, they were able to convince the ECO that it was a genuine visit and the visa was issued. The IO at the port of entry queried the length of the visit and referred it to his CIO, a case has to be referred if refusal is being considered, and in the case of refusing a visa holder they have to be satisfied that there is a material change since the visa was issued. A couple of points worth remembering, the IO's have access to the original application, there is a hand written number which refers to the case number, though I am not sure if the details are available electronically yet, also the IO has the power to search luggage for evidence that a longer visit than than declared.

Be interesting to know how agencies address this.

If they are a reputable agency, it's by advising their clients to tell the truth.

If they are a cowboy agency then it's by advising their clients to lie; which if discovered by the ECO will mean a refusal and even if they get the visa then, as theoldgit says, they could be refused entry when they get here if the lie is discovered. They could also face a 10 year ban from visiting the UK!