German Tourist Killed By Hit-and-run Driver In Pattaya

webfact

You can never depend on drivers of any vehicle to see you, slow down for you, drive around you, or stop for you.

So it's 100% up to the pedestrian to be alert and wait for a break in the traffic then cross quickly (run if need be)

and try to leave a margin of safety in case you should underestimate the speed of a vehicle.

I think some people "dare" drivers to run them down by "being cool" and crossing unhurriedly, pretending to show no fear.

e.g. Teenagers (and many dogs do this too)

Many Thais seem to be oblivious to the dangers, when they cross the road without looking,

or they walk along the left side of the road with traffic coming from behind, leaving their lives in the hands of vehicle drivers!

Same with slow moving motorcycle drivers that sit in the middle of the lane and won't keep to the left where it's safer.

Tourist pedestrians from countries where they drive on the right side are particularly vulnerable here because

they tend to look to the right, (the wrong way) they see no traffic and step straight in front of vehicles coming from their left.

RIP to the German guy, a terrible tragedy for him and his family.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is the custom here in Thailand to run away from an accident, it is done almost everyday.

Bus drivers do it!

Truck drivers do it!

Everyone does it!

Was the guy who got killed drunk?

Do you think it would make a difference if he was?

Did he just decide to step out into the road in a drunken stupor at 2 in the morning?

If he was driving a car and he was drunk and he was involved in an accident in which he was killed and the other guy walked away unscathed how would you feel about that?

Food for thought....

BTW Just in case some of you get the worong idea I am very sorry that anybody has to die in any way. May he RIP

There are more than 12000 road deaths in Thailand every year caused by drivers over the limit. During the Songkran Festival alone, there are around 600 road deaths with 41% caused by an excess of alcohol. In a study carried out 14 years ago, out of nearly 5000 drivers, 12.6% were found to have a BAC above the legal limit. Tests carried out between 10pm and midnight showed that 19% of the motorcycle drivers were over the limit and 16% of the drivers of 4 wheel vehicles also failed the test. Even in a country like Thailand that seems to value life so cheaply, these figures are appalling. If you think that things have got better since that survey, just go for a drive on any of Thailand’s roads, especially late evening and see for yourself.

In my experience Thai drivers have no respect what so ever of anything on the road. Ive seen drivers purposely aim for dogs, drive carelessly close to the bumper of the car in front, try to ram other cars out the way. I consider myself a good careful driver, but when driving here in Thailand my nerves and wits are tested to the fullest! I guess they all think there invulnerable and good old Buddha will take care of them because they got that special amulet given to them by the monk who said if you wear this you can never die!

About amulet it would be kind of irony but they are really think so and they don't care about their life and people around because of that!

Condolences to the guys family

Thais are generally hospitable, friendly, courteous and generous at face value. While driving they are the complete opposite as the car itself offers some face saving protection.

Two faced!

Zebra crossings are the worst place to cross the road in Thailand, even if they are traffic light-controlled, because they mean nothing to Thai drivers nor to Thai police. Tourists using them have a false sense of security, behave with less caution and are consequently more likely to be hit when using them than when crossing elsewhere.

On the other hand, when you cross anyoldwhere, using caution, Thai drivers are actually quite accommodating to you, slowing or making sure to avoid you. If you ever try this in many other developing countries -- China and Egypt immediately come to mind -- you will find no accommodation to your attempts to cross the road and often downright aggression.

Thailand is not so bad for crossing the road as long as you are aware of the lawlessness and take care. Especially at designated crossings.

Yesterday in Bangkok I twice used a zebra crossing; one of the newer ones with traffic lights. When the lights changed some of the traffic did not even bother to stop, in fact one black Vios increased its speed past an already dangerous velocity to beat me attempting to cross the road, and in doing so almost hit me.

Every time I use these crossings I am extra careful as Thai drivers have little or no regard for the pedestrian.

pedestrian crossings any where in thailand are just a waste of paint

No, they are there to create employment.

Edited by bellste

What a shame to go out like that!

Having said that, however, the longer I drive here, the more I seem to be adapting to their driving techniques and am considered a madman when I get back in the real world.............

Yesterday in Bangkok I twice used a zebra crossing; one of the newer ones with traffic lights. When the lights changed some of the traffic did not even bother to stop, in fact one black Vios increased its speed past an already dangerous velocity to beat me attempting to cross the road, and in doing so almost hit me.

Every time I use these crossings I am extra careful as Thai drivers have little or no regard for the pedestrian.

When walking anywhere in Thailand I carry a walking stick. At night it serves to keep the stray dogs at a safe distance and during the day it can be waved threateningly at motorcyclists who don't stop when they should. A hard whack on the seat directly behind the rider generally does wonders!

Several times I have almost been run down - only my actions prevented my getting hit, at the intersection of New Petchburi and Thonglor. I walk with the light - only when it is working- and a BIB is in his little shack. The BIB typically observe the cars/bikes ignoring the RED traffic light but they (BIB) seem to ignore the law breakers. TIT eh? Lack of Sanctions/Land of Scams = LOS.

In my experience Thai drivers have no respect what so ever of anything on the road. Ive seen drivers purposely aim for dogs, drive carelessly close to the bumper of the car in front, try to ram other cars out the way. I consider myself a good careful driver, but when driving here in Thailand my nerves and wits are tested to the fullest! I guess they all think there invulnerable and good old Buddha will take care of them because they got that special amulet given to them by the monk who said if you wear this you can never die!

could easily be a Farlang driver, last year in Pattaya I saw a Farlang pickup truck driver hit 2-3 cars and 5 or 6 motor bikes speeding down 3rd road on the wrong side of the street near the intersection of South Pattaya road in front of Tonys Resort Spa, he would have kept going but the engine was damaged and the tires went flat. There were 3 guys in the pickup truck and would not get out for about 30 minutes while the police and everyone was standing there waiting, finally the radiator burst and the vehicle caught fire they busted out the rear window and jumped out, all 3 totally drunk (the doors were smashed in and would not open). Fortunately no one died, later I heard they got off with a fine, not sure how much...

Edited by Rainmon

Five years ago a probably drunken (at 1 am at night) and speeding pick up, slalom between slower cars, hit me from the back riding my 800cc BMW bike with my girlfriend on the pillion seat on Petchburi Road in Bangkok, happened just near Bangkok Hospital (back then Bangkok General Hospital). The pick up didn't stop either.

We were lucky and had just minor injury, since my girlfriend didn't feel well and we just returned towards home from a visit at a hospital at rama 6 i drove a slow 60km/h and the pick up probably a 100 it's luck that we are not dead. I slipped about 10 meters on the road while she came to stop not far from the spot we went down. the bike was catapulted to the dividing wall in the middle of the road and heavily damaged, frame bent, front suspension twice cracked, wheel hub 5 pieces, etc..

The taxi driver behind us was great, he stopped immediately and opened the door while i run back and checked my girlfriend and moved her into the taxi i guess in less than 1 minute after the fall we were on the way around the corner to bangkok hospital.

They wanted to keep her for 3 days because of a broken finger = 45'000 baht...! we also went to the 30 baht government hospital which said that no finger was broken, and in the end the rama 6 hospital (also government) diagnosed 2 finger broken...

Maybe i should have posted this in another topic? sorry.

They could spare some cops eagerly giving out no-helmet fines to motorcyclists and start enforcing pedestrian crossing awareness, but of course this will never happen.

I see a lot of European pedestrians getting upset when they realise the traffic does not stop at pedestrian crossings. They're a waste of paint.

Perhaps not a "waste of paint" by Thai thinkers b/c it's all about APPEARANCE = FACE eh?

could easily be a Farlang driver, last year in Pattaya I saw a Farlang pickup truck driver hit 2-3 cars and 5 or 6 motor bikes speeding down 3rd road on the wrong side of the street near the intersection of South Pattaya road in front of Tonys Resort Spa, he would have kept going but his radiator busrt and and the tires went flat. There were 3 guys in the pickup truck and would not get out for about 30 minutes while the police and everyone was standing there waiting, finally when the radiator burst and the vehicle catch fire they busted out the rear window and jumped out, all 3 totally drunk (the doors were smash in and would not open). Fortunately no one died, later I heard they got off with a fine, not sure how much...

wow! what a story!

Does anyone know how to say "good manners" in Thai, if there is such an expression? I sometimes stop to let a car pull out or cross in front of me. This is a normal courtesy where I come from. It always tries my patience when I do this and cars and motorbikes try to push their way past on either side. It's true that the locals adopt a different persona when they get into a car.

.... in fact one black Vios increased its speed past an already dangerous velocity to beat me attempting to cross the road, and in doing so almost hit me.

from my experience .. (as driver of a car) .. stopping on a "RED Light" Zebra .. causes also other drivers (specially taxi drivers) to get quite Upset ...

using the horn and shouting on you (the idiot farang) stop the car in front of a red light ....

strange world's

When I first came to Thailand there was a push by the authorities to ban dark or mirror coatings on windows, which like all things in Thailand was eventually pushed to the sidelines

May be part of the reason for posters comments about Thai driver anonymity, if you can't see them they don't feel there are any consequences

I stopped at a crossing in Bangkok yesterday and a young couple started to cross the road, then an idiot driver came from behind and accelerated onto the wrong side of the road and passed me. He (and it was a he) was immediately followed by motorcycles passing on both sides at speed. The couple on the pedestrian crossing were so lucky, they missed death by only 2 or 3 inches, it was that close. It bothers me greatly, because if I had not stopped they would not have been placed in such peril. One more step and they would have been dead or very seriously hurt. And yet, I did the right thing. I think. :)

I'll tell you why the Thais are amongst the worst drivers in the world, it's their lack of role models. The children see their parents riding without helmets; driving against the traffic; jumping lights; not indicating; hogging the overtaking lane; undertaking; overloading bikes etc etc. They also see the police doing all these things as well as extorting money out of innocent people. If their parents and police can't obey the law, why should they? The formative years shape the adult.

Don't I just love Thai bashing in here, Thais this Thais that.

True there are many ruthless drivers in Bangkok, but 30 years I have born and lived here there are far more plentiful good drivers in the country, Bangkok is just a weird chaotic city.

I ask you foreigners to stop generalising from the fragment of the country that you see (especially if you spend most of your time in Sukhumvit, that's not really Thailand). It's very immature to think you know this country and everyone in it through and through, and not fair for Thailand as well.

And please don't try to connect to something else like 'Thais have no regard for anything, no education, no sense of humor, no professional skills whatsoever, no compassion and no regard for their own land. Beside ripping off people, killing others with their guns or with their trucks, they are good at absolutely nothing.' That's bit harsh isn't it? If we all were really like how could we have even survived at all until these days? Plus, saying that makes you sound more like a bitter old fool.

This accident was caused by ONE SINGLE bad driver (we don't even know if s/he's Thai), not the whole country's fault.

Edited by SuriyaJ

there seems to be little knowledge about what "zebra crossings" are for there is a crossing near the market near us but people will not use it as it is about 20 metres further away from the market and I have yet to see any drivers slow down or stop to allow anybody to cross the road at a zebra crossing. There are crossings at my son's school but there still has to be a policeman to guide the children acroos the road.

Are you sure that there's a traffic law here equivalent to laws in many [European] countries, that says cars have to stop when pedestrians cross the street on a zebra crossing? I don't think so...

I'll tell you why the Thais are amongst the worst drivers in the world, it's their lack of role models. The children see their parents riding without helmets; driving against the traffic; jumping lights; not indicating; hogging the overtaking lane; undertaking; overloading bikes etc etc. They also see the police doing all these things as well as extorting money out of innocent people. If their parents and police can't obey the law, why should they? The formative years shape the adult.

Actually I think its because we -foreigners- don't understand Thai culture... :)

I was crossing the road on a pedestrian crossing in Bangkok some time ago and a police pickup accelerated towards me hooting his horn, I had to run !!!

I think the rule here is SIZE MATTERS... 6 wheeler trucks and buses have priority, then cars, motorcycles then down the highway food chain are cyclists & people on foot. This could be a sort of social thing "If you are on foot then you must be worthless".

The only reason most Thai drivers avoid pedestrians is because they dont want to damage the car.

I still don't know what a "zebra" crossing is, but I see the same thing, the first 3 or 4 cars always speed through the red light when it first turns.

What is the F*ing point? When they will have to stop w/ traffic 100 M up the road?

They should really enforce the traffic laws better, obviously I'm not holding my breath for that, I guess pedestrians are going to have to look both ways and be cautious.

RIP to the poor German guy who was a victim of probably drunk criminals who should be put away

Does anyone know how to say "good manners" in Thai, if there is such an expression? I sometimes stop to let a car pull out or cross in front of me. This is a normal courtesy where I come from. It always tries my patience when I do this and cars and motorbikes try to push their way past on either side. It's true that the locals adopt a different persona when they get into a car.

Whether you agree with the "principle" or not -- there's this unwritten law that the bigger entity always dominates the smaller entity. A car driver will think twice (yes, actually "think"...) before getting in the way of a truck or bus; a motorbike driver won't get in the way of cars, all the way down to dogs who'll get out of the way for pedestrians. It doesn't have a bit to do with manners, but it works much of the time...

When I was first driving a car in Thailand, I made the "terrible mistake" of braking for a pedestrian stuck in the middle of a road, to give him a chance of crossing. Well, big mistake: absolutely nobody expected "European courtesy" -- the pedestrian didn't dare to walk, and I heard a lot of screetching tires behind me. Just millimeters from a major pile-up...

Edited by AsiaCheese

thais are some of the worst drivers in the world..../.../...running red light seconds after the green has changed.../.../

The other night I was traveling home late from the office, as per usual, and the taxi driver - much to my surprise - decided to go through a full-red 4-way intersection with cars in all directions. I'm still not sure how he found the gap and faith to not let up the gas an inch but just burn straight through it. Luckily I have now adopted a Thai approach and have stopped being scared or shaken after things like this happens and instead just make a note that it wasn't my time yet...and then I continued to read news on my cellphone...

I was shocked by this too. When I first came here I patiently waited for the green walk light, in the central Sukhumvit area, and started to walk across only to be totally shocked by cars speeding passed at high speed! Missed by inches and it wasn't just one vehicle :) . OK, I needed to reassess where I was. Now I certainly just don't walk out onto the road even with a green "Go" signal and certainly NOT on non-traffic light zebra crossings.

Incredibly dangerous on roads here. It's one of the annoyances here, but unfortunately it is more than an annoyance, it is very dangerous and one area which I feel the government really need to improve. By this I don't just mean improved road conditions or less brides for the BIB but a real education programme with improved media coverage and especially improved driver training across the board. Though many may feel this is a typical "mei pen rai" situation, it should NOT be! Dangerous driving causes death, mayhem and/or extreme long term injury. Unfortunately unless someone in the upper power belt is killed here by poor driving nothing will change for a long time yet and all people just need to be highly aware ANYTIME they go out near a road to walk, ride or drive but unfortunately even then we can not stop all accidents; although I suppose if I bring my plastic Buddha on my dash I should be OK :D

About time they started fining 1,000 Baht and cancel licences for ignoring crossings and pedestrians. I have on occasion kicked a door and that works :)