Bangkok bank

Just in case anyone wanted to know, I opened a savings account at the Bangkok Bank on Sukhumvit a couple days ago.  Its the branch that sits directly across from the courtyard of the Ambassador hotel.  Not sure what soi its near.  I went upstairs, asked if I could open an account and all they wanted to see was my passport in which I only have a 30-day tourist stamp in.  Signed a few papers, got an ATM card on the spot although it doesnt have VISA Electron on it but you can go back and change that later.  500 baht only needed to open. Hope this helps.

Go back and ask them for a Be 1st card.I got one on my last visit about 6 months ago from BB-no prob.Also got khun wife to get an internet A/C which I use for internal T/F, pay bills etc.

It (the be 1st) includes the Visa Electron so you can use it in most shops (with sign) like a switch card.

I have only ever had a visa on arrival. :cool:

Go back and ask them for a Be 1st card

Be aware if you do that a debit can be used to take all the money in your account with just knowledge of number/name and do not believe protection is all that great here yet (know is was poor when I checked a year or so ago).  If you do not need the credit card use they still offer an ATM card, Bualuang Premier, that can be used in 80 countries.  This would require loss of card and use in an ATM to get your money.  In either case it is best to keep bulk of money in an account that is not directly linked and transfer as you need.  The delay, even if you recover funds, could be long.