The Sam Van Treeck Murder Case: Five Years On

webfact

The Sam Van Treeck case: five years on

gallery_327_1086_13830.jpg

Chompoonut ‘Jeab’ Kobram trekking with friends in Khao Lak. File photo.

gallery_327_1086_24345.jpg

Jeab with her fiance Noah Meyer and his mother Renee Rodin in Rawai. File photo.

PHUKET CITY: Thailand's five-year effort to extradite fugitive murder suspect Sam Van Treeck to stand trial for the stabbing murder of Chompoonut ‘Jeab’ Kobram in Pattaya in 2004 appeared to take a step backwards on December 31 when a Belgian court granted his release from prison on a conditional basis.

Van Treeck, a former tour guide in Thailand, was charged with the brutal stabbing of Ms Chompoonut in mid-2004.

Ms Chompoonut, his former girlfriend and a native of Buri Ram, was working as a divemaster in Phuket at the time of her death at age 23.

Engaged to Canadian Noah Meyer at the time, Ms Chompoonut traveled to meet her ex-boyfriend Van Treeck in Pattaya. It turned out to be a fatal error: she was found dead with 48 stab wounds on June 25, 2004 in Van Treeck’s Pattaya apartment.

Van Treeck has consistently denied murdering her, claiming that the victim was already dead when he arrived back home after going out to drink beer.

The Belgian was granted bail by the Pattaya Court on September 21, 2004, the day after charges were filed against him. He posted a ‘rented’ chanote land title deed as surety.

He was charged under Section 289 of the Penal Code, which states: ‘Whoever commits murder on another person by employing torture or acts of cruelty shall be punished with death.’

After his release he fled to his native Belgium, which refuses to extradite in cases where the suspect could receive capital punishment.

After living as a free man for five years, Van Treeck was arrested on June 30, 2009 for the murder after a court order allowed listening devices to be installed in the home of his father, the Belgian press reported.

His detainment was once extended, but he was finally allowed to leave prison on December 31 as the court ruled he did not present a threat to Belgian society and his detainment was no longer deemed necessary for the investigation, the Gazet van Antwerpen reported.

“Finally they have realized that my client is no longer a danger to public safety here,” his lawyer was quoted as saying.

After his return to Belgium in 2004, Van Treeck immediately handed himself over to Belgian authorities. The Belgian Embassy denied rendering any assistance in aiding his return to that country, although his return to Belgium was accomplished without a passport.

For previous stories about the case, click here, here, here and here.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

So he was charged with a count of murder which carries the death penalty and then given bail.

Why?

I am stunned by the stupidity of the court.

Seems to be the way in Thailand. I've read other stories about cases where the death penalty could be handed down, yet the charged person gets out on bail. Naturally this person disappears, what else would you expect them to do.

The Belgian Embassy denied rendering any assistance in aiding his return to that country, although his return to Belgium was accomplished without a passport.

International travel (aircraft ??) ---- without a passport ??? I wish I could do that !! :)

The Belgian Embassy denied rendering any assistance in aiding his return to that country, although his return to Belgium was accomplished without a passport.

International travel (aircraft ??) ---- without a passport ??? I wish I could do that !! :)

Clearly I was thinking th same . perhaps he travelled on water .....

Imagine if Thais could afford an Internaitonal Snatch Squad (no pun intended) to kidnap then bundle these fugitives from justice onto planes and whisk them back here to face the courts.

I am sure the US have rcently established a sort of precedent for this - Extraordinary Rendition?

He didnt escape by boat...few days after his bail he was back in Belgium....only 2 options..fake passport but my geuss is that he got help from the Belgian embassy and not from the Belgian embassy in Bangkok they give him prob the advice what to do but didnt work active on it.Anyway i wouldent stay in Thailand as well if i was him and indeed a very stupid move of the Thai court to grant him bail....after all it was very clear he really did it...they say innocent until proven well in this case even he didnt admit it for ones the police got a really solid case against him.But i geuss Falangs who use a little drugs are a better catch for them then somebody who murder a poor girl,at least moneywise they can squeez more money out of them without much publicity.

Yes it was a gruesome violent murder. Yes, the circumstantial evidence looks compelling. However, does anyone believe this person would receive a fair trial in Thailand? Look at it another way: If the Belgians had confidence in the judicial system, do you think the Belgian government would have so easily aided and abetted this alleged murderer? Until there is a fair trial we do not know if the accused is guilty. There are other means to ensure justice and that includes bringing the charges in Belgium. The Belgians have a history of charging other nationals with "crimes", even though the acts did not occur on Belgian soil. Nothing stops the Thai government from bringing civil charges in Belgium and seeking compensation.

The Thais may not wish to remove the death penalty from the criminal action because it is their only way of inducing a guilty plea. If there was a strong case, the Thais would have said ok, no death penalty and then put Belgium in a corner and said, now hand over slasherboy. The Belgian government reeks of hypocrisy and a double standard.

Yes it was a gruesome violent murder. Yes, the circumstantial evidence looks compelling. However, does anyone believe this person would receive a fair trial in Thailand? Look at it another way: If the Belgians had confidence in the judicial system, do you think the Belgian government would have so easily aided and abetted this alleged murderer? Until there is a fair trial we do not know if the accused is guilty. There are other means to ensure justice and that includes bringing the charges in Belgium. The Belgians have a history of charging other nationals with "crimes", even though the acts did not occur on Belgian soil. Nothing stops the Thai government from bringing civil charges in Belgium and seeking compensation.

The Thais may not wish to remove the death penalty from the criminal action because it is their only way of inducing a guilty plea. If there was a strong case, the Thais would have said ok, no death penalty and then put Belgium in a corner and said, now hand over slasherboy. The Belgian government reeks of hypocrisy and a double standard.

The Thais should demand the extradition of these people, or impose whatever sanctions they can on such countries, or just constantly complain loudly, internationally, about them.

It is an unpleasant thought Zigistar articulated that drug dealers within the jurisdition are a better target for police rather than wasting their time trying to prevent a bailed murderer from doing a runner, then trying to extradite them bck here (where's the personal financial profit in that?), but I suspect there is a lot of truth in it too.

Alternatively the government, who after all are ultimately responsible for the shambolic bail policy, for sealing its borders so criminals can't so easily escape and for the police's woeful performance, should underwrite the costs of a private prosecution and civil lawsuit in Belgium for this poor girl's family.

The Thais should demand the extradition of these people, or impose whatever sanctions they can on such countries, or just constantly complain loudly, internationally, about them.

There are many countries, including in ''our'' West who will not extradite their own citizens.

LaoPo

:)

Belgium does not extradite its citizens closer to one country or the death penalty is applied.

The Thai authorities must give the Belgian judiciary any information regarding the case and will be tried in Belgium.

Pressure or sanctions will not change the attitude of the Belgian government they merely apply the law.

Belgium has a judiciary that is independent of political power and a judge can in no way violated the law.

If he was definitely the case will be closed for non compliance.

On the other hand our judicial system a person is considered innocent until we prove that it is guilty in the case of violent crime is judge by a popular jury.

I do not take sides in this case but the law is the law.

It is an unpleasant thought Zigistar articulated that drug dealers within the jurisdition are a better target for police rather than wasting their time trying to prevent a bailed murderer from doing a runner, then trying to extradite them bck here (where's the personal financial profit in that?), but I suspect there is a lot of truth in it too.

Alternatively the government, who after all are ultimately responsible for the shambolic bail policy, for sealing its borders so criminals can't so easily escape and for the police's woeful performance, should underwrite the costs of a private prosecution and civil lawsuit in Belgium for this poor girl's family.

HAHA ... did i read right thailand impose sanctions on a european country ?? haha :) What can thailand do to hurt any western country ??? ... nothing at all . Thailand has no power in the world of international politics and never will have .. Well maybe they could stop sending rice that might really hurt belgium and make them send this guy back to thailand :D .

Why should belgium send this guy back. What about the case of them Thai guys who killed a austrailan in austraila. Then they fled back to thailand... Thailand has yet to even arrest them guy never mind saying they will send them back. No western country has to answer anything to thailand. What ever belgium says thailand has to sit there and acpect it.

I am in no way defending this belgium guy, if he done this murder then he is clearly a sick man. But i am saying belgium doesnt have to asnwer anything to thailand.

He didnt escape by boat...few days after his bail he was back in Belgium....only 2 options..fake passport but my geuss is that he got help from the Belgian embassy and not from the Belgian embassy in Bangkok they give him prob the advice what to do but didnt work active on it.Anyway i wouldent stay in Thailand as well if i was him and indeed a very stupid move of the Thai court to grant him bail....after all it was very clear he really did it...they say innocent until proven well in this case even he didnt admit it for ones the police got a really solid case against him.But i geuss Falangs who use a little drugs are a better catch for them then somebody who murder a poor girl,at least moneywise they can squeez more money out of them without much publicity.

As far as I remember, he crossed the border to Cambodia where he received a temporary Belgian passport.

Whatever he did, guilty or not (but guilty: he is!), is biggest mistake was to sell his story to the media... and to explain how did he fool the Thai authorities with the help of our embassy (I am Belgian as well!).

But technically, Belgian authorities did nothing illegal by issuing him a temporary travel document in country where he is not wanted.

That created a little diplomatic conflict... but it was quickly forgotten...

P.S.: to defend himself in Thailand, he mentioned: "Impossible, that night I was having sex with a ladyboy!"... honestly, I would rather prefer to confess for a crime than this argument :)

HAHA ... did i read right thailand impose sanctions on a european country ?? haha :D What can thailand do to hurt any western country ??? ... nothing at all . Thailand has no power in the world of international politics and never will have .. Well maybe they could stop sending rice that might really hurt belgium and make them send this guy back to thailand :D .

Why should belgium send this guy back. What about the case of them Thai guys who killed a austrailan in austraila. Then they fled back to thailand... Thailand has yet to even arrest them guy never mind saying they will send them back. No western country has to answer anything to thailand. What ever belgium says thailand has to sit there and acpect it.

I am in no way defending this belgium guy, if he done this murder then he is clearly a sick man. But i am saying belgium doesnt have to asnwer anything to thailand.

Well the Thais let a South African murderer free last August. Having murdered a 22 year old girl in the Philippines and his passport held by the local police, he was allowed to return to Thailand, sell his restaurant and slither back home. So much for Asean cooperation ! :)

So he was charged with a count of murder which carries the death penalty and then given bail.

Why?

I am stunned by the stupidity of the court.

Another similar case three or four years ago in Pattaya; a Englishman killed his girlfriend with whom he owned a bar on Soi Honey Inn: broad daylight, many witnesses, he was arrested on the scene.

Within a month he was out on the streets, bailed out by non other than the sister of the victim who then got the bar.

Never heard anything about him ever going to trial. Apparently, time (and maybe a bit of money) does heal all wounds.

He has been known to boast at parties in Belgium that he had done it and gotten away with it.

The advise of the Belgian Embassy could have been to take a boat from Koh Chang to Cambodia and get a temporary document from the honorary consul in Pnom Penh which wd have allowed him to fly home over e.g. Singapore.

I think you will find many western countries will not extradite where there is an accusation that can bring about a death sentence.

My connection to Thailand is fairly recent so I'd never heard of this case. I feel very sorry for the victim and even more so for her friends and relatives.

I have a feeling this is a European Union rule which would cover Belgium of course so they couldn't extradite him even if they wanted to. I believe this has happened in the UK when the US has wanted to extradite someone and I think it applies whatever their nationality. What usually happens is an agreement is reached that only a prison sentence will apply. Mind you if what I hear about Thai prisons is true that may not be an advantage. Of course the Belgians could do a deal whereby he serve his sentence in a Belgian jail.

Edited by kimamey

I think you will find many western countries will not extradite where there is an accusation that can bring about a death sentence.

Actually all it requires is an agreement by the nation requesting extradition that the prosecution will not seek the death sentence.There have been several cases similar to this. A current example of this would be that of the Muslim cleric Abu Hamza wanted in the US on terrorism charges, the British courts ruled that he could be extradited after the US agreed he would not face the death penalty. There have been similar extraditions over the years from Europe.

Can't think of a successful challenge to this under the ECHR (European Convention on Human Rights), which would be the determining legislation.

Edited by roamer

Actually all it requires is an agreement by the nation requesting extradition that the prosecution will not seek the death sentence.There have been several cases similar to this. A current example of this would be that of the Muslim cleric Abu Hamza wanted in the US on terrorism charges, the British courts ruled that he could be extradited after the US agreed he would not face the death penalty. There have been similar extraditions over the years from Europe.

Can't think of a successful challenge to this under the ECHR (European Convention on Human Rights), which would be the determining legislation.

I think it is not so simple that the prosecutor will not request the death sentence.I think they will have to agree to drop charges that carry the death sentence as punishment.

I think it is not so simple that the prosecutor will not request the death sentence.I think they will have to agree to drop charges that carry the death sentence as punishment.

Sorry but you are wrong. There is a landmark case you can look up if you wish, Soering-v-UK Gov. And without wishing to go to far into the complexities it s not even the possibility of the application of the death penalty that is a hurdle to extradition rather than the conditions and uncertainties that surround its applications. Leaving that to one side....

"In the case of Soering v. United Kingdom, the European Court of Human Rights ruled that the United Kingdom was not permitted under its treaty obligations to extradite an individual to the United States, because the United States' federal government was constitutionally unable to offer binding assurances that the death penalty would not be sought in Virginia courts. Ultimately, the Commonwealth of Virginia itself had to offer assurances to the federal government, which passed those assurances on to the United Kingdom, which extradited the individual to the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extradition

There are far more comprehensive sources than that I have quoted, I use it only for brevity. Obviously as the issue of federalism does not apply to Thailand all that is required are the assurances mentioned above.

It is right also that the law should operate in this way, were it to operate as you were to suggest then people could be guaranteed to escape justice as alternate charges are not always possible. In this particular case the victim was found with 48 stab wounds so the only possible charge under any legal system would be murder.

I hope she gets justice.

Who says "you can't get away with murder" what a crime this is, someone should track this guy down and **** !!!

He has not got away with murder, not yet anyway. Don't confuse the bail decision with this, it was probably inevitable given the circumstances. There is something markedly different here from anything I can recall in an extradition case. Normally what would happen in these cases is that the extraditing nation passes over its request and depending on the protocols of its extradition arrangements, its evidence, and there the case for extradition succeeds or fails. Here something else happened, something quite unique. In this case the arrest warrant was issued after Belgian police had obtained "bugging evidence", this indicates a strong degree of co-operation with their Thai counterparts....they have gone to work with them to produce this evidence, no doubt prompted by this guys boasts of what he had done.

Who knows, if enough people who read this thread cross their fingers and wish, then this animal may yet see the inside of Klong Prem.

• 9 months later...

I stumbled upon this case and after a search found this image.

200912311727-1_voormalige-reisleider-sam-van-treeck-vrijgelaten.jpg

Does anyone know who the woman is with Van Treeck?

And have there been any updates?

She is Jeab Compoonuch Kobram (23)/Chompoonut Koyram (different spellings) , a diving instructor; she was the one that was allegedly murdered by Sam van Treeck; she was slaugthered in their appartment in Pattaya with 48 stabbings with a knife.

Van Treeck, according to newspaper reports, claimed to be innocent since he was on a tour during the murder (Van Treeck was a travel guide); Police didn't follow up on his evidence he claimed to have in the form of people who could prove he wasn't at the crime scene at all. The Police didn't phone these people or asked them to come to testify at the police station.

His lawyers were under immense pressure to have him plead "guilty"; the girl died during a heavy fight with hair of her attacker in her hands and Van Treeck pointed this fact to the Police but the hair (in her hands) was never examined on DNA traces.

Later he was released on a bail of €uro 75.000.00* or some Baht 3.1 Million after which he fled back to Belgium.

* in other Belgian news papers they mention "just" €uro 30K (Baht 1.3 Million)

If I'm incorrect, someone please correct me.

AFAIK, the latest update is that Van Treeck is walking free in Belgium and no longer a "threat" to "public safety" in Belgium. This since earlier this year.

According to Belgian law, Van Treeck cannot and will not be extradited to Thailand.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo