Storing Older Car

Valentine

Change the oil/filter and the antifreeze and run it very little once you do.. Also flush and change the brake fluid thoroughly..

In the case of the oil and antifreeze, old oil undergoes a chemical change under high temps and many additives added to gasoline are corrosive and transfer deposits to the oil and then 'gas' or corrode/erode and pit the bottom end of the engine things like bearings etc. which are soft and sacrificial in nature anyway.

In the case of antifreeze it looses it's ability to protect against corrosion and therefore becomes more corrosive and less protective..

Brake fluid especially older fluid absorbs moisture like a sponge and only a few minute drops of water in it can cause any number of issues as all of the metal internally on brake systems is unprotected and that coupled with a corrosive agent such as brake fluid when exposed to water will ruin the brakes internally also if there is any air in the system it contributes to this since air contains moisture..

Have someone drain the old fuel and refill it only slightly with petrol (enough to be able to run it on occasions without it running out and this someone must do) not methanol and put in a fuel stabilizer to keep the fuel from breaking down that can be purchased at any good auto parts store unless your in Thailand I don't know if it's available here..

Don't forget to change the fuel filter as well..

Oops! Also have all the joints lubed with new grease any moisture will rust the parts internally (and there is always some moisture) if it sits without it being driven. It wouldn't hurt to move the steering several times on those occasions when someone runs the car..That ought to do it.. Good luck!

Edited by WarpSpeed

Running the engine is the best (?) way to maintain it while stored.

I have read about increased fuel tank corrosion due to the alcohol content in Bio (E10/B5 etc.) fuel left in tanks. But recall a fuel tank is best left full rather than allow exposed surfaces to rust. (inside the tank - not sure if it would - but just what I recall being told in the past)

Consider lifting it off the tires - cover exposed rubber and plastic from sun damage. Also consider anti-mouse rat devices on the stands.

Cover paintwork to protect from dust build up - someone will wipe it down scratching the paintwork with the dust lizard siht buildup.

HTH.

Some good tips here from WarpSpeed and Cuban. As for fuel, I have always added a fuel stabilizer and toped up the tank, this is to prevent water moisture to build up in the fuel tank. Never had a problem running on the old fuel when it's been back on the road again, just make sure you dose the stabilizer correctly. The longest I have stored a car without running it is about a year. Back when I had a boat, I would do the same every year for winter storage, it would then sit for about 5 months and run fine on the fuel when started up again.

Lifting the tires is also a very good idea, as the tires otherwise will end up with flat spots after sitting in the same position for an extended period of time.

Leave a small gap open windows to alow moisture evacuate.

Good point, forgot about that. It's been a while since I had a car in storage...

Additionally I used to place a dehumidifier in the car, (Dri-Z-Air).