Eating Beef

paulh1978

Mine must be in the minority. Here in Australia she will quite happily tuck into a T bone steak, as do other members of her family when they visit.

When she first arrived in Oz she wouldn't touch beef. She said she didn't like the smell of it cooking. I would cut her a piece of my steak to try and she soon changed her mind. Now, she jumps with joy when the B-B-Q is fired up.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That the thais are brainwashed at quite a young age; should come as no surprise to anyone whose spent any time here in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" or who has a thai wife or (in)significant thai other. :D

That this brainwashing has gone on for generations should not be a surprise either. What I do find surprising is that some of these alleged 'cultural traits' have gone on so long they can't even remember WHY they do or don't do things. If anything this shows just how much critical thinking is NOT encouraged here in the slightest degree.

I always say, not only do thais NOT think outside the box, they have no idea there is even a box to begin with. :D

:) Very good one... only uncovering the truth can eventually be the start of a new beginning that slowly leads to improvements, so you no need to think long time to realise this country so far has NO positive future without something terrible happens first that may open their minds, as happened in so many cultures...

This is what I like about religeon, it's so convenient. Can't kill it but can eat it. "Well it's dead now, so it would be bad to waste it."

So in summary it's ok to for me to kill that mossie that has been sucking on my arse all night correct? No fear of coming back as one if I do? I feel relieved now.

No, the opposite. It's the intent to kill that is bad. So all killing is bad. But when you eat your steak you aren't intending to kill the cow - it is dead already. This is psychology, not religion per se. The idea is to improve your mental state. Whether you believe you'll come back as a mosquito or not is up to you. That's the religious aspect.

so you no need to think long time to realise this country so far has NO positive future without something terrible happens first that may open their minds, as happened in so many cultures...

So how do you explain the fact that the lot of the Thai people has improved so much since I first arrived in the 70s? Whether Thais do or do not eat beef has nothing to do with "critical thinking." It's no different from some non-Thais being obsessed with NOT eating dolphins and whales (because they are cute or intelligent) while others either don't care or do eat them. Possibly Thais have an emotional connection to cows the way farang do to their pets. Where is the critical thinking when a Westerner risks his life to save a dog?

so you no need to think long time to realise this country so far has NO positive future without something terrible happens first that may open their minds, as happened in so many cultures...

So how do you explain the fact that the lot of the Thai people has improved so much since I first arrived in the 70s? Whether Thais do or do not eat beef has nothing to do with "critical thinking." It's no different from some non-Thais being obsessed with NOT eating dolphins and whales (because they are cute or intelligent) while others either don't care or do eat them. Possibly Thais have an emotional connection to cows the way farang do to their pets. Where is the critical thinking when a Westerner risks his life to save a dog?

Agree totally Cam, I see the concern written all over their faces (locals) while dining on steak at some of the finest restaurants in Bangkok.

Masaman beef anyone?

Agree totally Cam, I see the concern written all over their faces (locals) while dining on steak at some of the finest restaurants in Bangkok.

Masaman beef anyone?

Despite what members have said, I think it would be a minority of Thais who don't eat beef at all. As someone mentioned, yam neua is very popular. My guess is people who have lived on farms or close to large animals might not want to eat beef, and devotees of Jao Mae Guan-im certainly wouldn't. Since eating beef doesn't break any Theravada Buddhist precepts, Thai Buddhists really don't need to worry about it.

Massaman curry is a southern dish of Muslim origin, so no surprise it is often made with beef. Definitely one of my all-time favourites.