Price Difference With Imported Food Items

chillibilly

Since I just buy a basket full of "Western" items when I am at a grocery store, I was wondering if one "Western" grocery store charges less than another store that caters to farangs. In other words, would prices vary with Villa Market, Central, Tops, Foodland and the others. (I don't have time to shop and compare but I am curious.) I heard from a thrifty friend of mine that Carefour was the best for prices.

It varies on the exact product you are talking about. However there are patterns. Of those (other than Carrefour) Foodland is overall the cheapest for such products and Friendship is even cheaper. I don't shop at Carrefour so can't place them generally. Villa and Central would be the most expensive generally with Tops in between. Again, it depends on the specific product. Its worth it to shop around at least once to check the prices on your personal staples and then if one place is much lower on a non-perishable, just stock up on it.

It varies on the exact product you are talking about. However there are patterns. Of those (other than Carrefour) Foodland is overall the cheapest for such products and Friendship is even cheaper. I don't shop at Carrefour so can't place them generally. Villa and Central would be the most expensive generally with Tops in between. Again, it depends on the specific product. Its worth it to shop around at least once to check the prices on your personal staples and then if one place is much lower on a non-perishable, just stock up on it.

I agree with you. That is also our experience. When one compare foreign goods, one must also look at what manufacturer have produced it, to get a fair comparison.