Thebox.bz

Wee Jimmy

Worked fine yesterday, but just tried it now and "Safari can’t open the page “http://thebox.bz/login.php” because the server where this page is located isn’t responding."

Checked a torrent that's still open, and the Announce & Scrape both say, "failed: tracker did not respond."

1:13 p.m. Thai time

Reason for edit: new information

1:40 p.m. logged on and browsed - no problem now

Edited by JusMe

Anyone having problems opening www.thebox.bz It has stopped downloading and I can’t open it.

Just to let you know it won't open here in Bangkok

Even though I just noticed your Scottish

:)

I just managed to load it up, but they are having some problems by the looks. Most of my ratio has disappeared and the last showing upload is the 22nd December. Looks like the DB has thrown a wobbly.

Stopped loading now.

Totster :)

I just managed to load it up, but they are having some problems by the looks. Most of my ratio has disappeared and the last showing upload is the 22nd December. Looks like the DB has thrown a wobbly.

Stopped loading now.

Seems OK now and my up/down figures are OK - still 10 GB in the green.

Stopped loading now.

Seems OK now and my up/down figures are OK - still 10 GB in the green.

This now on their site..

Jan-22-10 - Downtime

The recent downtime this morning was caused by a network outage at our datacenter. It was not on our end and no data was lost.

~ t.bz staff

I know there were some uploads missing.. but, looks all in order now

totster :D

That's nasty, nidge. Check your client?

From TheBox announcements:

We are getting more and more incidents reported that the tracker is DISABLING people with non-permitted torrent clients. (ie it thinks your cheating)

Please ensure you are using the correct permitted versions listed here: Banned/Allowed Client List (http://thebox.bz/forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=2189) [if you can see it without being logged in - don't know. If you can't, and want a copy of that page, PM me.]

Effects also include loss of ratio where your torrent client IS NOT telling us correctly what you are sharing.

Transmission 1.8.0 & 1.8.1 & Azureus/Vuze 4.3.0.4 + & all associated Alpha & Beta's are especially bad at causing this.. you have been warned....

Great, i'm using Transmission 1.81 I'll change to 1.7... and see if that helps. But it looks like i am going to be screwed.

I can't see the page in that link because it needs me to be logged in.

Nasty situation if you've got to downgrade an application. I usually keep mine very current, so not sure why I didn't with Transmission, but sure glad I haven't. Guess sometimes it works out that older stuff works better (kinda like us older guys?).

I've sent that page to nidge as a PM, but am posting it here for anyone else who might have trouble seeing it if you can't log on.

Might be able to contact the site, although they do insist on IRC, which I have never used and have no intention of using right now. If it comes to it, though, I could post something on a forum and try to get people reconnected.

TheBox____Allowed_Banned_BitTorrent_Clients.pdf

when i try to connect to the IRC i just get told that i have been banned. Obviously they don't have a means of appeal.

I just downgraded Transmission and lost all of my torrent data. Not a good day for me :)

Any advice on getting my thebox account reinstated would be dearly appreciated.

Nidge.

when i try to connect to the IRC i just get told that i have been banned. Obviously they don't have a means of appeal.

I just downgraded Transmission and lost all of my torrent data. Not a good day for me :)

Nidge.

How about I send you an invite so that you can at least log on? I still have 10 or so going unused.

Nidge.

How about I send you an invite so that you can at least log on? I still have 10 or so going unused.

That would be great, but i think it might cause you problems. I'm sure i read that if you invite a previously banned member then you will get banned too.

Nidge.

Nidge.

That would be great, but i think it might cause you problems. I'm sure i read that if you invite a previously banned member then you will get banned too.

Nidge.

:D oops, yes, that's right.

After some serious help from JusMe i managed to find my way to the IRC support room for the box only to be kicked out. I've grabbed the window so you can see how helpful they are being!post-48222-1264246369_thumb.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

[edited to change attachment to jpg]

thebox.tiff

Edited by nidge

There is a serious sh*tstorm going on right now at TheBox. Latest count of pages on the issue of banned torrent clients is twelve, and ongoing.

It does seem technical and I don't much understand it. I was rather lucky in *not* upgrading my application so I'm still there.

For Mac people, Transmission 1.8.1 got you banned; but the Tranny people were very cooperative and overnight wrote a newer version, 1.8.2 which is approved.

Nidge - not sure if it might work for you or not, but maybe try the newer version and see if it will connect?

Warning for others using TheBox: ensure your application is on the approved list!

The problem now is not with the software, i've changed to uTorrent which is approved. The problem is not being able to log in and download anything :)

I hope they sort out a way of allowing banned members to talk to them soon.

Seems the system is auto-banning members with unapproved clients (it's the anti-cheat system that's triggering it). :)

Just spent a happy half-hour downgrading to Vuze 4.1.0.2 which seems to be working :D

No idea how automatically banned members can get back in, but Admin do appear to be firefighting.

I hope they sort out a way of allowing banned members to talk to them soon.

Just me, or are they not that friendly/helpful?

Is there no other site that offers what they do?

I signed up a couple of years back, but only took a peek. On seeing this thread, asked them to send me my password yesterday and despite getting a message telling me they had sent to my email, nothing arrived. Thinking perhaps the account had been deleted / suspended, i tried opening a new account. Wouldn't allow. Now i see all their rules and regs about if you do the wrong thing, tough crap, piss off, don't complain.. blah blah blah...

What an attitude! Wouldn't like to have to rely on them like you guys seem to.

Yeah, there's a real storm going on there.

Nidge, I just posted the following on the firestorm forum. Hope it helps some.

Friend of mine has been banned due to the upgraded Transmission (1.8.1) and although he's downgraded, and even trying to use uTorrent, he can't even connect using IRC. He's apparently tried changing the server (I'm in a fog about it all).

On IRC, he gets the message:

irc.thebox.bz: Closing Link: hisname [webchat.mibbit.com] (User is permanently banned (no reason))

There's just gotta be a way to fix this storm!

Please help out PM or post something so he can at least connect by IRC to get it sorted.

Edited by JusMe

Seems the system is auto-banning members with unapproved clients (it's the anti-cheat system that's triggering it). :)

Just spent a happy half-hour downgrading to Vuze 4.1.0.2 which seems to be working :D

No idea how automatically banned members can get back in, but Admin do appear to be firefighting.

Hi Crossy. I'm about to do exactly the same thing. If there are any pitfalls to look out for, please can you post them?

I intend to do a system backup and create a restore point before downgrading to 4.1.0.2 and following the detailed instructions posted by "servalan" here: http://thebox.bz/forums.php?action=viewtop...p;topicid=26316

I have turned off auto-updates of Azureus now, and stopped all downloading/seeding activity.

The forum discussion (mostly criticisms) has doubled since this morning to 7 pages: http://thebox.bz/forums.php?action=viewtop...1272&page=1

I think the consensus of the technical people is that their script that does the auto-banning is far to unreliable and needs updating.

I have managed to get back into thebox.

Thanks to the help of JusMe and a very helpful chappie in the IRC chatroom myaccount was re-enabled and my ratio is the same as it was before banning.

I'm glad that nightmare is over and done with.

Hi Jetset. Yup that's pretty much what I did, uninstalled the latest version first then followed the instructions.

Vuze remembered all my torrents and settings even though I uninstalled first :)

I had no problems, but a mate did exactly the same and Vuze now comes up with a missing file problem (unclear as to which file as it was over the phone and he's a computer illiterate) but seems to work just fine.

Up to 17 pages on the Box forum now. sigh ....

But they are resolving the issue as best they can.

For Mac people using Transmission:

the last 246 users who havent come into our support from from the transmission 1.81 "incident" have been auto-re-enabled

If of course theyre using 1.81 still - they'll get disabled again We'll be monitoring and hopefully get em all back

So, Transmission users, ensure you're up at 1.8.2 now.

Thanks for adding this forum topic otherwise I doubt I would have known to downgrade my uTorrent client for the Box.....shame you have to revert to older versions. :) Still you can run two versions together if another private tracker site needs a more recent client. :D

Edited by eltelboy