Apple Ipad

Goshawk

I just brought an iPad 3G back to Chiang Mai from the US (I did NOT activate the ATT Sim while in the US). Yesterday I went to Pantip Plaza in CM and bought an AIS 3G sim card that has 200 MB of data download activated on it. The guy in the shop said it would work on an iPad, but I really don't think he has a clue what one really is. I trimmed the Sim to Micro size, installed it and after a few seconds of searching came up with TH GSM E in the carrier info section at the top left corner of the screen. That would indicate that I had an Edge connection. I'm in the 3G footprint of CM, but I wasn't concerned about not having a 3G connection. I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but I got an error stating that PDP Authentication failed. I googled a bit to see if I could find a solution, tried a couple things including resetting the network settings, but so far, nothing seems to work. My iPad sees the AIS network, but I can't get access. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

I think that the AIS 3G frequency is not supported by the iPad. True has 3G in Chiang Mai. You may also want to try 365.co.th or i-kool.net (both TOT 3G). Just buy a few cheap cards and try. Good luck

Yes, that's it. AIS 3G trial is on a 3G frequency not supported by most phones, so it would make sense the ipad 3G couldn't use it either.

Btw because this keeps coming up all ipads are sold unlocked and don't require activation or anything else. They work with any sim card.

I thought about the frequency issue, but I did some research and found this:

The iPad's 3G modem supports UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz).

I believe that I have seen somewhere that AIS 3G is on 900 Mhz, so it should be OK. Also, If my iPad couldn't receive the frequency of AIS, then the carrier wouldn't even show up in the upper corner of the screen and it does.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just brought an iPad 3G back to Chiang Mai from the US (I did NOT activate the ATT Sim while in the US). Yesterday I went to Pantip Plaza in CM and bought an AIS 3G sim card that has 200 MB of data download activated on it. The guy in the shop said it would work on an iPad, but I really don't think he has a clue what one really is. I trimmed the Sim to Micro size, installed it and after a few seconds of searching came up with TH GSM E in the carrier info section at the top left corner of the screen. That would indicate that I had an Edge connection. I'm in the 3G footprint of CM, but I wasn't concerned about not having a 3G connection. I tried to connect to the internet via Safari but I got an error stating that PDP Authentication failed. I googled a bit to see if I could find a solution, tried a couple things including resetting the network settings, but so far, nothing seems to work. My iPad sees the AIS network, but I can't get access. Does anyone have any similar experiences?

I think that the AIS 3G frequency is not supported by the iPad. True has 3G in Chiang Mai. You may also want to try 365.co.th or i-kool.net (both TOT 3G). Just buy a few cheap cards and try. Good luck

Yes, that's it. AIS 3G trial is on a 3G frequency not supported by most phones, so it would make sense the ipad 3G couldn't use it either.

Btw because this keeps coming up all ipads are sold unlocked and don't require activation or anything else. They work with any sim card.

The iPad's 3G modem supports UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz) and GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz).

I believe that I have seen somewhere that AIS 3G is on 900 Mhz, so it should be OK. Also, If my iPad couldn't receive the frequency of AIS, then the carrier wouldn't even show up in the upper corner of the screen and it does.

Not really. It means AIS will work for EDGE on the 900 Mhz but you will not get 3G (HSPA) as 900 Mhz is not supported. Only 850 (the other providers' frequency) is supported.

It seems that I'll have to delay my trip until tomorrow. In the meanwhile, please let me know where to get it at 37K. (name, floor, shop) and I'll go and pick one up (maybe more).

Tha name is "Bingo mobile". 4th floor. Phond numbers: 081 8509928 / 081 4410364

I didn't buy it that day, but I'll go there again today. I wonder if I can bargain the price down. 7,000 bahts over the real price its a bit too much.

Thanks for that. I will go tomorrow around 10am. If you plan to buy one tomorrow, send me a PM. Maybe we can get the price down a bit more if we buy a few. Also applies to other board members.

Edited by sillyfools

Not really. It means AIS will work for EDGE on the 900 Mhz but you will not get 3G (HSPA) as 900 Mhz is not supported. Only 850 (the other providers' frequency) is supported.

That's correct, but it should work with the EDGE connection, and the iPad sees the EDGE connection indicated by the TH GSM E in the status bar. But even though it obviously sees it, it still gives a PDP Authentication error when you try to access. I think I will just give up and try TrueMove instead. They even have microSIMS now so you don't have to cut a standard SIM to size.

@TimeTraveler - Sorry about your problem. But do try other MicroSIMs as well. It should work with EDGE at least. I have both AIS OneTwoCall and True Move SIMS working for my iPad and because I am not in a 3G area, EDGE works flawlessly. If ever you won't have any luck with another SIM, then there must be something wrong with the device. Perhaps a factory restore and wiping out all settings for a fresh one could be another remedy. Good luck, mate!

Thailand

Operator: - AIS

GPRS APN: - internet

Username: - {blank}

Password: - {blank}

DNS: - 202.183.255.20, 202.183.255.21

Operator: - DTAC

GPRS APN: - www.dtac.co.th

Username: - {blank}

Password: - {blank}

DNS: - 203.155.33.1, 203.44.144.33

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I will go tomorrow around 10am. If you plan to buy one tomorrow, send me a PM. Maybe we can get the price down a bit more if we buy a few. Also applies to other board members.

I was there today again to buy one, but I was a bit shocked: the price went down (within a few days since the last post) 2,000 bahts. Now 35,000 seems to be the usual price for a 64GB 3G iPad. I asked at a small shop, smiling, to please give the *final* price, and the seller asked for 34,500 also smiling.

I found this place: "Atomic", B23 (there are more with the same name, the one I reference is at "B23", I don't know if the rest are the same) who asked directly for 35K bahts. No need to bargain. Phone 08-666-222-19 / 08-1310-4503. Good atmosphere there. Anyway 35K seems to be the standard price now.

But if we wait 4 days more will it be 33K bahts? 8 days 31K? Weird...

If you are going to buy it there I'll be happy to buy it with you.If I'm able to buy it with AMEX for the same price, that'd be great (I don't feel very comfortable paying in cash in MBK and I like AMEX).

I was there today again to buy one, but I was a bit shocked: the price went down (within a few days since the last post) 2,000 bahts. Now 35,000 seems to be the usual price for a 64GB 3G iPad. I asked at a small shop, smiling, to please give the *final* price, and the seller asked for 34,500 also smiling.

I found this place: "Atomic", B23 (there are more with the same name, the one I reference is at "B23", I don't know if the rest are the same) who asked directly for 35K bahts. No need to bargain. Phone 08-666-222-19 / 08-1310-4503. Good atmosphere there. Anyway 35K seems to be the standard price now.

If you are going to buy it there I'll be happy to buy it with you.If I'm able to buy it with AMEX for the same price, that'd be great (I don't feel very comfortable paying in cash in MBK and I like AMEX).

I've sent you my mobile number by message. Can you send me yours so we can contact each other? I will be at MBK at 10 coming in by BTS.

Thanks for sharing the info, Juan. It could be that the sales demand is not as big as when it first came out. Or might have something to do with the iPhone 4's arrival soon. I wonder if the gray markets are gonna price the phone higher than a 64gb 3G iPad.  <_<

I've sent you my mobile number by message. Can you send me yours so we can contact each other? I will be at MBK at 10 coming in by BTS.

I did not get your mobile yet so no way of notifying... My meeting schedule at work just changed so I'll be going in the afternoon. Text me if you want to make a purchase at the same time ;-).

I was able to order the 3G 64GB at 33.800 at a shop called happy mobile. By the time I wanted to buy it all of MBK was already sold out and after scouting for a few hours I got one shop that literally went to each and every shop to get me one.. The total price was 36K as I did not feel like waiting 2 more days.

Apart from that... the iPad is beyond expectations. Battery life, easy of use, ... stunning. I think I'm putting up my laptop for sale next week. This is all I need.

Thanks for sharing the info, Juan. It could be that the sales demand is not as big as when it first came out. Or might have something to do with the iPhone 4's arrival soon. I wonder if the gray markets are gonna price the phone higher than a 64gb 3G iPad. <_<

One poster said he saw the iPhone 4 for 53,000 THB in CM. So it seems they will be pricing the iPhone way higher than the 3G iPad.

Hi,

Just bought an iPad at MBK. 3G 64GB at THB 33,500. Was paranoid at the beginning cause the other stores offer 39,000, but I took my chance and turned out to be very good. Sealed box and iPad works awesome. The store gave store guarantee for 12 months. A long with the iPad, I bought original dock and fake casing (I dont like apple original case, so I bought the other model which is more comfortable to carry).

Tried to buy Camera connection kit, but stock was out as well as the VGA adapter.

Got True micro SIM postpaid - with THB 899 package (unlimited GPRS/EDGE, unlimited WiFi True Account at 2MBPS, and 5GB 3G) - works great. The 3G connection is faster than my CAT ADSL connection (my ADSL is not that good, so wont be a good comparison).

Forgot to buy Screen Protector (and I often have oily fingers and just too lazy to wach my hands) - so need one. Will be at MBK today buying the rest of the needed accessories.

Just got the 3G iPad from USA, made myself an AIS micro SIM, but I get the same PDP authentication error as the previous posters. It sees the sim "TH GSM E", but no love. Anyone get the AIS SIM to work? Seems like True is the way to go.

Edited by trunknuk

Somebody on this forum mentioned Pulse RSS reader, wow this is a crazy good app, looking at it is a bit like "wow, so this is what the post-internet looks like". No crappy websites full of ads, just beautifully arranged news items. One more thing where the iPad is better than any computer.

Currently 33k for the 64gb wifi 3G with a screen protector. Case is kind of expensive at 2300 but necessary.

DTAC micro sim kind of expensive in the prepaid version 500bht for 300 mins but a very good product.

Most carriers you need to activate the SIM first which means putting it in a phone before cutting it up and putting it in the iPad. Not sure how you will recharge the credit when the time comes. Guess its the same for AIS. I have an aircard with an AIS SIM in it for my notebook. Had to activate it by putting it in a phone and dialling *120. Then when I connected it to the notebook it installed an AIS connection manager and I can only connect through that.

Would be very interested in finding out about peoples experiences with the various data plans for iPad.....

If anyone is interested I am coming from the States to Bangkok for a bit of vacation time. I currently sell Apple products here in the States and will be bringing my iPad with me on my trip. If anyone is interested in buying it I'd be willing to part with it once I get to Bangkok and will just get another one when I come back home.

Just let me know if anyone is interested. I could also bring a new iPad to someone if they wish but I would have to have payment before hand. Figured I would make the offer since the iPad is still very hard to come by right now.

If anyone is interested I am coming from the States to Bangkok for a bit of vacation time. I currently sell Apple products here in the States and will be bringing my iPad with me on my trip. If anyone is interested in buying it I'd be willing to part with it once I get to Bangkok and will just get another one when I come back home.

Just let me know if anyone is interested. I could also bring a new iPad to someone if they wish but I would have to have payment before hand. Figured I would make the offer since the iPad is still very hard to come by right now.

Very hard to come by?!...nah MBK is full of the things right now, cant walk in the door without tripping over them.......you would have to deal on price alone because they are being sold at a premium.

IPad will be released officially in Hong Kong and Singapore on Friday. That should make the supply to here more easy and should reduce prices.

Hmm... nothing in either the SG or HK Apple stores. Lead times in the US are 7 - 10 business days, so they still sell more than they can make.

IPad will be released officially in Hong Kong and Singapore on Friday. That should make the supply to here more easy and should reduce prices.

Hmm... nothing in either the SG or HK Apple stores. Lead times in the US are 7 - 10 business days, so they still sell more than they can make.

Ok both HK and SG stores now have links to official Apple resellers who sell iPads. They also have a "starting from" price, but that's it. Not selling it on the website and no info on prices for specific configurations.

It seems to me that's their way to make the deadline, while limiting actual supplies as much as possible. I bet all of these official resellers will be sold out in no time at all. My guess is they're going to divert all additional production to countries where they're already selling it; being so far behind on shipments for so long must get a bit embarrassing.

Edited by nikster

I bought one today in Ireland there were hundreds of the things at the store I went to. The page is the same as other pages just starting from and nothing else. I think this is the end of the supply issues. Others on forums are also reporting the same thing. This is in a country with a tiny population where neighboring places such as Northern Ireland have had it for ages now. Apple supposedly has ramped up production to over 2 million units per month now so you will most likely see prices drop real fast in Thailand.

It could be that this is a massive shipment and there won't be new supplies coming down the supply chain anytime soon. I just don't see why they would ship such a surplus of these things here if they were all that scarce anymore.