Apple Ipad

Goshawk

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but, at home I use PC's on a wireless network. Will the iPad connect to the internet via the same router (guessing not)?

Sure no problem. Ipad will connect to any wireless (edit: any wifi (that you have access permission)) network.

Edited by Abrak

Time to chime in! Got my iPad yesterday, 32 gig wifi version. Love it! Gotta ration myself or I'll spend the whole weekend on it, haha.

for you guys out there who know, what do you find is the best vid converter for iPad specs? I used handbrake for iPhone, but the tez won't be up to snuff methinks. I'm downloading the new format factory to see if they have an update for iPad. Help would be appreciated!

Handbrake does the job, but personally I use Air Video to stream from my computer to the iPad. It converts in real time so no need to wait for conversion or to hold multiple versions of the same file.

Using Handbrake. There's instructions online - basically you use the normal Apple settings, then limit screen size to less than 1080p - iPad does 720p max, I think. Handbrake works great, and allows you to queue overnight. The problem is, it takes forever to re-encode, there's a lot of computing power required. On a Core 2 Duo 2.66 I get around 16 - 20 FPS. For a movie with 24FPS that's less than real time, e.g. more than 1 hour encoding time for 1 hour of movie.

AirVideo... nice if you just use the iPad around the house, I guess. Obviously the quality can't be as good as high quality iPad settings with handbrake, as it needs real time encoding. Not that I think it would be noticeable on this small a screen.

On a Core 2 Duo 2.66 I get around 16 - 20 FPS. For a movie with 24FPS that's less than real time, e.g. more than 1 hour encoding time for 1 hour of movie.

Time to given in on that Macbook Pro i7 or imac i& nikster :)

On a Core 2 Duo 2.66 I get around 16 - 20 FPS. For a movie with 24FPS that's less than real time, e.g. more than 1 hour encoding time for 1 hour of movie.

Time to given in on that Macbook Pro i7 or imac i& nikster :D

Yeah yeah yeah... Handbrake is pretty much the only application that I use that would benefit from the i7... :) And even then it would still be slow, at the most I imagine it would double the speed... huge improvement, but would still run for hours.

The "problem" is my MacBook Pro 17 2.66 unibody works perfectly. It's basically like new. This is the best quality laptop Apple has produced since the 3400c 10 years ago. Zero problems in 18 months of ownership, which is a record for me, PC or Mac. I guess I'll wait for a true quad core laptop before upgrading.

Its official... iPhone 4

gallery01-20100607.jpg

I want it. love.gif

did I mention its already jailbroken and can be unlock ?

I'll put ad to sell my existing iPhone 3GS on craiglist right away.

available in the US on June 24. Gonna pre-order mine.

I'll get to have one before I leave the US for Thailand. woohoo...

US pricing info: 16 GB and 32 GB of the new iPhone 4, that features 720p video recording at 30 fps, are as follows: $ 199 for the 16 GB version and $ 299 for the 32 GB version. new iPhone 4 has 100 new features, among which a 960 x 640 resolution display, a 5 megapixel camera that can record 720p HD video, multitasking and many others.

facetime-hero-left-20100607.pngfacetime-camera-both-20100607.jpg

Edited by Aswin

Its official... iPhone 4

gallery01-20100607.jpg

I want it. love.gif

did I mention its already jailbroken and can be unlock ?

I'll put ad to sell my existing iPhone 3GS on craiglist right away.

available in the US on June 24. Gonna pre-order mine.

I'll get to have one before I leave the US for Thailand. woohoo...

This thread is about the iPad......

Handbrake does the job, but personally I use Air Video to stream from my computer to the iPad. It converts in real time so no need to wait for conversion or to hold multiple versions of the same file.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried the free version for 20 minutes, then gave in and forked over the price of a beer for the full version. This app automatically got a prime piece of real estate on my iPad! Cool!

This has probably been reported already; but I just noticed that the Thailand iTunes store now offers iPad applications! Good news, no more buying of USA store gift vouchers at inflated prices.

Is it the same tho as iphone apps in thailand tho. Not all are available on the thai store compared to the usa store.

Update on MBK prices today: 16GB 3G 31500

32GB 3G 36500

64GB 3G 41500

Prices have gone bonkers seems MBK and HK are running low on stock.

Just ordered a couple of 32GB as a trial using Entropay Mastercard, Combined with shipito.com new Las Vegas address (Apple will not ship to the CA, Torrance shipito address)

Total price (including shipping to BKK and "a" customs payment) if it goes through (They have charged the card) will be around 29000thb for 1 32GB 3G. saving of 7000thb over MBK.

Edited by negreanu

My iPhone is almost all apps sourced from the Thai store; just a couple from USA.

The Thai iPad store looks comprehensive. I will continue to browse the USA store and then hopefully switch to Thailand to buy. Better than nothing.

My iPhone is almost all apps sourced from the Thai store; just a couple from USA.

The Thai iPad store looks comprehensive. I will continue to browse the USA store and then hopefully switch to Thailand to buy. Better than nothing.

Cool. Will stick with the USA store tho simply because of the TV Shows and Movies for rental and buy for Apple TV etc. Too much hassle running 2 accounts.

This has probably been reported already; but I just noticed that the Thailand iTunes store now offers iPad applications! Good news, no more buying of USA store gift vouchers at inflated prices.

iTunes gift card numbers are not that expensive....I just bought a $50 card for US$53 on-line... (or have a friend buy cards in the US and email the codes)....

the iTunes Thai store doesnt have music, movies, TV shows, pod casts etc. (as well as many apps)

Edited by Raptor7

Is it the same tho as iphone apps in thailand tho. Not all are available on the thai store compared to the usa store.

Update on MBK prices today: 16GB 3G 31500

32GB 3G 36500

64GB 3G 41500

Prices have gone bonkers seems MBK and HK are running low on stock.

Just ordered a couple of 32GB as a trial using Entropay Mastercard, Combined with shipito.com new Las Vegas address (Apple will not ship to the CA, Torrance shipito address)

Total price (including shipping to BKK and "a" customs payment) if it goes through (They have charged the card) will be around 29000thb for 1 32GB 3G. saving of 7000thb over MBK.

the price for the one I want (32GB 3G) is going down about B1K a week at MBK...by the time I need to go to HK next month, it will be fine just to buy one at MBK....

(but I also wanna buy the keyboard dock, an extra power adaptor, the Apple case and the VGA cable adaptor.....)

the price for the one I want (32GB 3G) is going down about B1K a week at MBK...by the time I need to go to HK next month, it will be fine just to buy one at MBK....

(but I also wanna buy the keyboard dock, an extra power adaptor, the Apple case and the VGA cable adaptor.....)

Actually you might be in for a bit of a shock. I know the MBK prices and HK prices quite well and over the last 10 days or so exactly the opposite is happening to both HK and MBK prices. Stock is getting very low at MBK.

in fact if you look and call some of the pantip.com classifieds. A lot of the store owners have now resorted to sourcing some stock from those guys selling 1 or 2 from the US.

HK price for 16GB 3G is now 7250HKD as of yesterday 2 weeks ago it was 6800.

2 Weeks ago ipad 16GB 3G MBK price 29000thb. As of yesterday you will be luck to find one less than 31500thb.

Edited by negreanu

Actually you might be in for a bit of a shock. I know the MBK prices and HK prices quite well and over the last 10 days or so exactly the opposite is happening to both HK and MBK prices. Stock is getting very low at MBK.

in fact if you look and call some of the pantip.com classifieds. A lot of the store owners have now resorted to sourcing some stock from those guys selling 1 or 2 from the US.

2 Weeks ago ipad 16GB 3G MBK price 29000thb. As of yesterday you will be luck to find one less than 31500thb.

OK, if the prices are actually going up at MBK (rather than going down) then I wont waste my time and wait until next month when I have meetings in both Singapore and HK

(I understand official launches of iPad will be next month in those places right? and the prices should be more reasonable than the very large middle man mark-ups at MBK) Im in no hurry...might get a 13" MacBook Pro (to replace my AirMac) in the meantime....

Another sleeper hit then... just like the iPod. At first everyone's like, what? why should I need this. Then they see it used somewhere, and want one. Several people I showed the iPad to wanted one, one guy ordered one right away...

I'm so curious to test the iPad, I'm a bonehard apple fan, anyway still now I dont know how it completes my apple family but I want it!!!!

ANYONE KNOS WHERE TO BUY an original new 3 G iPad in Thailand???

I think the situation has changed....today LOTS of stock in iPads at MBK....

the iPad 3G 64GB is now Baht38,000 so I got one....I also got a keyboard dock (for the home office), an Apple black case (for carrying it around) and a regular charger dock for the office......

couldnt wait any longer to get one and really glad I did....it is awesome!!

by the way, I think its jailbroken because the shop downloaded 9 pages of apps for me (plus Cydia) and put on a screen protector....

Hello, can you use a Thai SIM card for yur 3G, it's said that t needs a micro SIM?

hanks for yr answer have fun with yor device, I'm still waiting to get one.

I think the situation has changed....today LOTS of stock in iPads at MBK....

the iPad 3G 64GB is now Baht38,000 so I got one....I also got a keyboard dock (for the home office), an Apple black case (for carrying it around) and a regular charger dock for the office......

couldnt wait any longer to get one and really glad I did....it is awesome!!

by the way, I think its jailbroken because the shop downloaded 9 pages of apps for me (plus Cydia) and put on a screen protector....

AIS and True already offer Micro SIMs, and you can cut down any SIM - take a data SIM from DTAC or AIS, the likes you normally put in a USB modem, and cut it to size. You just have to remove some cardboard. Lots of instructions online, google it.