Thai Air Asia Not That Much Cheaper Than Thai Airways Now?

steffi

Was pricing out flights this morning Bangkok To Krabi and noticed that Thai Air Asia is no longer that much cheaper than Thai Airways but that on Thai Airways now if you want to flight on anything other than the last flight of the day you have to pay a lot more to do so.

Anybody concur?

It's true, AA are no longer the bargain they once were. I can remember taking 2 flights Kota Bahru to KL for 24.99 ringatt each($6.60us at the time). Fares like that are gone forever. And their baggage charges and convenience fee are always creeping upwards.

However if u book about 1 month in advance they are still cheaper than Thai but if u are booking only 1 or 2 days in advance then Thai seems to be the better choice.

It is not only the price. The poblem is that they will not tell you the real price and charge you for every pice of luggage.

I and my wife did flight from BKK to Krabi 30.1.10 FOR 3400 BATH each. Then at the counter they ask for 9.5 kg luggage (we had this together) for 200 Bath. :)

Not the 200 Bath did make my so angry. It's the "cheating" with the price and that i had to go to a other counter, wait there behinde a lot of peopel 15 minutes again, ....., ..... :D

This was the first and the last time, that i did go somewhere with (T)AA.

Edited by Somrak

Classic economic model. Decimate the competition and build up a customer base by loss-making low pricing. Then when you have the field to yourself, jack up the prices and watch the profits roll in.

You can still find some bargains on Air Asia but you should aim to buy your tickets months in advance and have a friend who works there who can alert you when the cheap fares go on sale.

Depends on the destinations and booking I guess.

I'm flying to Ha Noi for about US$200 cheaper on AA than Vietnam Air or Air France.

Didn't even bother checking Thai Air prices as they're usually ridiculous.

Edit:

Out of curiousity I just checked the Tha Air price. 32,615 Baht (for 3 pax).

Air Asia 18,297 Baht (for 3 pax).

Exact same dates.

Air France 25,490 Baht

Edited by PattayaParent

Sometimes it depends on destination, sometimes time of day, somtimes who knows what. If the fares are close to the same, of course I'll fly Thai, but I just booked a flight from CNX to BKK on Air Asia for under 1000 baht.

It's just a question about how soon you can book, and if there are any deals available. Last week I went to Singapore at the last minute and the two of us paid 12,500 in total on Cathay Pacific against 18,000 on Air Asia, but we are paying 1,600 for two going to Bali in August whilst Thai want 36,500, obviously that was booked during one of their loss leader promotions, but even booking now it would be 18,000 including all the odds and sods, still less than half the price of Thai.

It is not only the price. The poblem is that they will not tell you the real price and charge you for every pice of luggage.

I and my wife did flight from BKK to Krabi 30.1.10 FOR 3400 BATH each. Then at the counter they ask for 9.5 kg luggage (we had this together) for 200 Bath. :)

Not the 200 Bath did make my so angry. It's the "cheating" with the price and that i had to go to a other counter, wait there behinde a lot of peopel 15 minutes again, ....., ..... :D

I assume you booked online, and that you didn't bother to read the pretty clear messages that baggage is not free.

If so, what can one say, other than there was no cheating with the price.

As for the OP, prices vary day by day, and airline by airline. However I have yet to see a TG flight that was cheaper than Air Asia, even though I am sure that sometimes it (very rarely) occurs.

Edited by jackspratt

As it happens I just priced BKK to Ubon Ratchatani - out 16 Feb/back 30 March.

Air Asia - 2,855 baht

Thai Airways - 6,420 baht (and interestingly 2,000 baht more than that if you accidentally use the 'international' tab to book, rather than that 'domestic' tab - that speaks legions about the cynicism with which the tourist is ripped off)

That's a hel_l of a price difference for the privilege of a refund if you cancel, better choice of times to fly, 5 kg more baggage allowance, choice of seat and a cup of coffee and bun. Somehow these Thais must be getting Air Asia much cheaper than I am.

Thai is consistently double Air Asia's price on our route, unless I am missing something. I check it every time I fly which is about 8 return trips a year, but price always sends me running back to the cheap but good AA.

Only my opinion, but an informed (by experience) opinion

Classic economic model. Decimate the competition and build up a customer base by loss-making low pricing. Then when you have the field to yourself, jack up the prices and watch the profits roll in.

You can still find some bargains on Air Asia but you should aim to buy your tickets months in advance and have a friend who works there who can alert you when the cheap fares go on sale.

i booked on 31/12/09, my next visa run phuket/KL return same day... 290 baht each way.... plus taxes..

but i prefer thai, at least the seats are normal size for farangs.. not air asia.. midgets

Sussing out flights for March and found Air Asia inter from that godfersaken Stanstead to KL was £560 for animal class while on the same day I have a TG direct Heathrow -Bangers RT for £540 ......and I get to T3 for free...so saves another £40 to spend in Jucy Lucys bar in the Mai.

looks like its welcome back Tiggi :D

Also on last joli I got Thai ..BKK - CM on a Friday afternoon (came out on EVA) and it was 1000bt cheaper than the red budgie ..

admit only a one off since on the roundabout I have often managed in the past to grab some of their 99bt specials.....so figure... :)

i booked on 31/12/09, my next visa run phuket/KL return same day... 290 baht each way.... plus taxes..

but i prefer thai, at least the seats are normal size for farangs.. not air asia.. midgets

So with taxes and fees, it comes to almost 3K doesn't it?

have to price out the ticket, time table, and destination closely and read all the disclosures.

on the norm AirAsia will be lower, however if you are traveling with a family - you should price out everything including time-table

prior to purchasing the ticket. Thai air usually will have multiple flights per day and more options in the event

the flight goes wrong, the little higher fare may be justifiable.

[

But in the future Air Asia will be charging 2 seats for you wider Farangs, and they'll still be cheaper than 1 seat on Thai :)

FD is a bargain if you fly off peak and book in advance. (Not AA if you please, as AA is American Airlines)

I dislike FD but I have to respect the administration skill as they are very good at increasing prices as overall seat availability declines. Check out a route where TG will have sold out (e.g. TG at peak times), FD will have increased its pricing quickly.

TG offers consistent pricing, no matter the PAX load. Either TG is fair or just inept at monitoring total PAX numbers for all airlines on a particular route. :)

As it happens I just priced BKK to Ubon Ratchatani - out 16 Feb/back 30 March.

Air Asia - 2,855 baht

Thai Airways - 6,420 baht (and interestingly 2,000 baht more than that if you accidentally use the 'international' tab to book, rather than that 'domestic' tab - that speaks legions about the cynicism with which the tourist is ripped off)

That's a hel_l of a price difference for the privilege of a refund if you cancel, better choice of times to fly, 5 kg more baggage allowance, choice of seat and a cup of coffee and bun. Somehow these Thais must be getting Air Asia much cheaper than I am.

Thai is consistently double Air Asia's price on our route, unless I am missing something. I check it every time I fly which is about 8 return trips a year, but price always sends me running back to the cheap but good AA.

Only my opinion, but an informed (by experience) opinion

It doesn't matter whether you use the "Intl" or "Domestic" tab on the TG website. The price displayed on the Intl tab includes all taxes and fees, while if you use the domestic tab those taxes and fees are excluded until you chose the specif flight and click continue. At that point the fares will be equal.

otherwise I agree with you that Air Asia is never more expensive than TG, although I will sometimes choose TG based on the flight schedule, my luggage for that trip, and whether I am connecting to a onwards flight.

ditto,ditto,ditto....

dubious airasia pricing...

no better with advance booking...

will never fly airasia again, whether it is airasia thailand or whatever!

had too any bad experiences from all their airasia .

enough s enough.

One will find that people who are informed and actually take the time to read the conditions of flying with AirAsia have absolutely no problem at all.

The most common complaint one hears is that people get caught with charges on there luggage and must pay excess.

The fact being that there is no such thing as free luggage on AirAsia, this is clearly marked on there web sight but time and time again people continue to complain that they are being ripped off when confronted with the fact that they have not bothered to read the conditions and must pay extra for there luggage.

AirAsia are a budget airline and provide absolutely nothing for free but when one pays very little for the airfare how can one complain when one must pay for food, drink and luggage? After all they are in the business to make money and this is how they recoup extra money and boost profits.

They have taken the title of the worlds best budget airline voted by the flying public so they must be doing something right one would imagine.

Anybody who runs a business can grasp there business concept but unfortunately some people expect every thing for free but just aren't smart enough to pull it off. If one is a savy flyer one can fly very cheaply to many destination using this airline and myself being a very frequent flyer has achieved just that with a small amount of research like reading the conditions.

Number one rule is to book months in advance to procure the very cheapest seats, subscribe to there web sight to get specials hot of the press and make sure you prepay your luggage and your meals if required. Every thing is cheaper if pre payed.

This is very basic stuff and I must say its gives me hours of pleasure every time I read about some one complaining about excess luggage or some other imaginary complaint on AirAsia.

Good luck with it.

Depends on the destinations and booking I guess.

I'm flying to Ha Noi for about US$200 cheaper on AA than Vietnam Air or Air France.

Didn't even bother checking Thai Air prices as they're usually ridiculous.

Edit:

Out of curiousity I just checked the Tha Air price. 32,615 Baht (for 3 pax).

Air Asia 18,297 Baht (for 3 pax).

Exact same dates.

Air France 25,490 Baht

Just checked yesterday and Air Asia has gone up to 20,548 Baht excluding seat and luggage charges and Air France has come down to 21,070 Baht so the prices are now almost the same.

So like I said depends on when you make the booking.

sealy: Don't mean to be too harsh for your first post, but here are a few points.....................

Air Asia's pricing is not at all dubious, they are moreover an on-line booking business and before clicking on the option to purchase, everything is very clear as to what you are being charged and for what!

I constantly fly between Australia and Asia and "IF" one goes to the trouble of registering with them and thus get emails of up and coming specials, the savings are enormous. I have flown between Malaysia and Australia for around A$100 by keeping an eye to the computer screen and following their advice as to booking hints. I have flown between Bangkok and Pnom Penh or Singapore or Hong Kong at times for next to nothing. Within Thailand over the last few years I've flown with them for free often.

Don't just go the "ditto,ditto,ditto" route. If you've had bad experiences, be up front and clearly state how they have failed in your experience.

This forum, as much as I find it extremely informative and helpful, seems in general taken all-round to be ready to jump very quickly to knock Air Asia.

I don't need to stand up for them in any way. I've been flying since 1970, am in Cathay's Marco Polo Club, Singapore Airlines Kirsflyer and Qantas Frequent Flyer and whatever they call United's scheme these days. The worst experiences I have had in all that time has been on USA airlines and their lounges, both domestic and internationally.

You get what you pay for with almost everything and is no different with airlines whoever they are.

"cheating" with the price[/b] and that i had to go to a other counter, wait there behinde a lot of peopel 15 minutes again, ....., ..... :)

I assume you booked online, and that you didn't bother to read the pretty clear messages that baggage is not free.

If so, what can one say, other than there was no cheating with the price.

No, i did buy my ticket in a travel-office with the AA logo (and the price was more hight then a Thai Air fight in the morning (we want flight on midday) :D .)