Everton Thread

sharecropper

Hope all is OK there.

Perhaps you know Rammy as well, he lives round that way.But I must say that you lads from up around Bolton and Wigan puzzle me,you hate scousers but you support Liverpool in preference to the locals. :) Up to you as they say.

Happy New Year to all.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Bob, I saw the news earlier about the residents of Croston being asked to evacuate...how it gets back to normal soon.

It is a disaster, almost everyone I know has had to get out. Others are being told by their landlord they won't be repairing anytime soon. Fortunately all of my family cashed in and moved in to neighbouring villages so they are not effected.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hope all is OK there.

Perhaps you know Rammy as well, he lives round that way.But I must say that you lads from up around Bolton and Wigan puzzle me,you hate scousers but you support Liverpool in preference to the locals. smile.png Up to you as they say.

Happy New Year to all.

I know Rammy well & Longstebe(grew up with them both) .I think you are right that most people from where I come from support LFC or to a lesser degree EFC , most are either from Liverpool or have parents etc,. from there that relocated here. WE certainly DO NOT hate Scousers ,most of us are considered honorary Scousers anyway ,a bit like Jan Molbythumbsup.gif

Good to see Martinez singing the praises of Gareth Barry. City have, in my opinion, never replaced Barry and we let him go at least a year or so too early. I think unless he plays for your team and you get to watch him often, you don't really appreciate what a top player he is/was. He rarely gets the acclaim and is greatly undervalued, however players and management know his true worth; in Mancini's Premier winning team, Silva voted Barry player of the season and the player that allows others to tick. When City are not playing, I more often than not watch Everton to see how Barry is getting on.

^As mentioned above, I often watch Everton these past seasons, and it amazes me that they aren't higher in the table every season. They're a decent side, hard to breakdown (certainly are when the play City every season) and have some very decent players and manager. I have been critical of Howard's performances, but last night he kept Everton in that game and looked unbeatable.

Good to see Martinez singing the praises of Gareth Barry. City have, in my opinion, never replaced Barry and we let him go at least a year or so too early. I think unless he plays for your team and you get to watch him often, you don't really appreciate what a top player he is/was. He rarely gets the acclaim and is greatly undervalued, however players and management know his true worth; in Mancini's Premier winning team, Silva voted Barry player of the season and the player that allows others to tick. When City are not playing, I more often than not watch Everton to see how Barry is getting on.

Another puristthumbsup.gif

BTW....Mesut says hellobiggrin.png

https://youtu.be/dxNQ0pPqy4k

Good morning blues- im an evertonian based in bangkok. My worry- in the summer we sell Lukaku, and end up buying a second rate local striker from a championship or other premier league side. Given Lukaku is one of the best strikers out there right now- and still young- only way we sell him is for a Suarez type replacement, as opposed to a Ings or a Vardy.

Unfortunately we have to be realistic, if you had scored as many goals as him would you want to stay at a mid-table team? I hate to think how many will come knocking at the door for him.

Yes agree. Lukaku has already talked about his interest in PSG. The only way we keep him us if we make top 4 for CL football.... That's also why I think the capital one cup is a side show and pretty irrelevant...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Pity my CTH dish is still working. Have to get up at 0130 to watch tonights match.

From the Toffeeweb site

“It's the hope that kills you,” as the saying goes but what if you've lost all hope already? It's a rhetorical question that is apt for the collective Evertonian mind on the eve of this season's edition of the Anfield derby. Because, while the all-Merseyside clash has all too often been an exercise in misery for Evertonians since the turn of the century, who can remember a fixture between Liverpool and Everton that was approached with such a mixture of dread, apathy and resignation as this week's has been by Blues fans?

Also read that Everton have only won 6 times in the league since Liverpool were promoted late 50's.

• 3 months later...

Seeing i don't seem to be allowed to post on the City thread this is an opportunity to bump the Everton thread.

I'm very surprised you have not raised the obvious in that you have bought a better center back than Stones, a point few would question and trousered 35m in the process!!  You are a stronger side for the deal!!

On the flip side Williams is 29, so you'll get a couple of good years and then you can sell him on to City anyways and get back what you paid for him.

Ronald Koeman must be laughing his clogs off.  He's strengthened his back four and added 35m to his transfer kitty.  Respect!

Tough game at the weekend and as usual with this fixture i'll take a point

9 minutes ago, carmine said:

Seeing i don't seem to be allowed to post on the City thread this is an opportunity to bump the Everton thread.

I'm very surprised you have not raised the obvious in that you have bought a better center back than Stones, a point few would question and trousered 35m in the process!!  You are a stronger side for the deal!!

On the flip side Williams is 29, so you'll get a couple of good years and then you can sell him on to City anyways and get back what you paid for him.

Here's another one to consider; is Williams the best British center back?  Quite possibly....on last seasons showing he really is.

Whereas Stones is rather like a novelist with writers block when it comes to defending.

4 minutes ago, carmine said:

Ronald Koeman must be laughing his clogs off.  

Koeman wanted to keep Stones at all costs and after his frustrations at Southampton selling all his best players, Everton promised him with their new owners they wouldn't be a selling club. So I doubt he's laughing that much.

20 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Koeman wanted to keep Stones at all costs and after his frustrations at Southampton selling all his best players, Everton promised him with their new owners they wouldn't be a selling club. So I doubt he's laughing that much.

20 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Oh come off it!!  Number one theres no way he or Everton would conceive of refusing such a stupid offer.  Secondly he's got a better center back, a leader in the team and enough to buy two more top quality players.

of course he's laughing his socks off.  Who on earth wouldn't be.:facepalm:

Mind you, i suppose Pep is well qualified to start teaching Stones the basics of defending!!

NB  On a footnote MrB what with the telephone numbers the likes of United City and potentially Chelsea are prepared to throw around there is no conceivable way Foeman would have been allowed of even entertained to the idea of keeping Stones at all costs.  Totally inconceivable scenario.

13 minutes ago, carmine said:

Oh come off it!!  Number one theres no way he or Everton would conceive of refusing such a stupid offer.  Secondly he's got a better center back, a leader in the team and enough to buy two more top quality players.

of course he's laughing his socks off.  Who on earth wouldn't be.:facepalm:

Mind you, i suppose Pep is well qualified to start teaching Stones the basics of defending!!

NB  On a footnote MrB what with the telephone numbers the likes of United City and potentially Chelsea are prepared to throw around there is no conceivable way Foeman would have been allowed of even entertained to the idea of keeping Stones at all costs.  Totally inconceivable scenario.

I would agree with most of that in respect of club finances if it had been Kenwright but this new owner (Farhad whatever) promised to splash the cash. Most Managers don't care how much they sell a player for if they didn't want to sell him in the first place. Just do a google at Koeman's interviews where he stated that he didn't want to sell Stones as he doesn't want to sell his best players.

Both you and I agree that Stones isn't the finished article and he has a lot to learn, albeit he is only 21. However, I would like to think Pep wouldn't waste so much of his transfer kitty on a player he doesn't think will be worth it.

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

I would agree with most of that in respect of club finances if it had been Kenwright but this new owner (Farhad whatever) promised to splash the cash. Most Managers don't care how much they sell a player for if they didn't want to sell him in the first place. Just do a google at Koeman's interviews where he stated that he didn't want to sell Stones as he doesn't want to sell his best players.

Both you and I agree that Stones isn't the finished article and he has a lot to learn, albeit he is only 21. However, I would like to think Pep wouldn't waste so much of his transfer kitty on a player he doesn't think will be worth it.

guardiola spent 25 million euro on that shambles of a centre back Dmytro Chygrynskiy in 2009.

1 hour ago, StevieH said:

guardiola spent 25 million euro on that shambles of a centre back Dmytro Chygrynskiy in 2009.

And Barca got 15mil euro back for him, so not a total wipe out. That aside, blimey it was 7 years ago and Pep's first season or so as a first team manager and I doubt he had much input in transfer policy at Barca. However, name me a manager who hasn't bought a duffer at least once?

Shall we mention Klopp's signing of Ciro Immobile who got moved on after just a season or Kevin Kampl, Klopps last singing at Dortmund and has already moved on.

^Carmine "Seeing i don't seem to be allowed to post on the City thread this is an opportunity to bump the Everton thread" - Stop being so soft lad or well have to start calling you Mr. Noijai, and it's never stopped you posting on the City thread before

Mourinho spent all of last summer trying to buy 21 year old Stones for Chelsea but Everton wouldn't sell. Pep has just spent all of this summer trying to buy 22 year old Stones for City and Everton sold. Coincidence that 2 of the top managers in the world coveted Stones? Or are you a better judge of a footballer than those two?

Based on comparative prices for Williams and Stones it looks a good deal for Everton. Be honest, if Spurs had bought Williams would you be happy with that? I wouldn't if City had bought him.

As a City fan I'm very happy we've got Stones.

See you on the City thread soon ;-)

^SteveH "guardiola spent 25 million euro on that shambles of a centre back Dmytro Chygrynskiy in 2009".
Think it's fair to say every manager and every club has bought donkeys...Benteke...

Few years ago we bought Jerome Boateng. He couldn't hold a fullback position down from Micah or Zaba and he couldn't hold a CB position down from Kompany and I think it was Nastasic. Glad to see the back of him...very unimpressed. Pep has turned him around in to Germany's best defender. We're hoping Pep can teach Stones how to become that cultured footballing defender we know is in him and just needs polishing (Stones also physically needs pumping up...just as Kompany has bulked up since he became a CB for us).

Archived