Uk Vat Reclaim For Goods Brought To Thailand

torrenova

If a UK passport holder / citizen bought a computer in the UK and was taking it back home to Thailand where he lived, could he reclaim the VAT ?

I know a non UK or it is a non EU passport holder could reclaim the VAT but I do not know if a UK person can do it from the UK ?

Any ideas ?

Yes, been there done that a couple of times.

You have to buy from a shop that is part of the VAT Refund Scheme.

They will fill in the forms and you must show them your passport to prove that you've been out of the country for 2 years and are therefore elligible.

You drop the forms at the VAT Refund office at the airpport you are leaving from and the shop will credit your bank account or credit card as stated on the form.

The shop are entitled to charge you an administration fee for doing this but I think the maximum amount is 10 Quid.

Does the UK not just allow you to pay the net figure in the shop ? That would be much easier. I have read that you cannot do it with online deals and have to be present in the shop but if it could be done in store rather than later on it would be so much easier.

Does the UK not just allow you to pay the net figure in the shop ? That would be much easier. I have read that you cannot do it with online deals and have to be present in the shop but if it could be done in store rather than later on it would be so much easier.

Nope, that's too easy. :)

In Aus, if we want our vat back, we must claim within 30 days of purchase, show the goods to customs, along with the invoice, at the airport..

I rec'd payment of my refund within 7 days of departure.

UK customs might work the same.

I wanted to know this answer for certain so I emailed one of the refund companies in the UK, it can be done and this was their response:

"I confirm that you can claim VAT on purchases during your visit to the UK if you can provide the following at the point of Departures

1 - Proof that you are resident in Thailand, and will be remaining out of the UK for 12 months

2 - Obtain the VAT form at the point of sale from the retailer as you can not claim with till receipt only

3 - Present the goods and valid return ticket on the day of departures."

Edited by theoldgit

^^^^

I really don't know, all I did was cut and paste their reply to me.

I presume this is to claim your refund at the airport, the other company I contacted didn't say you had to have a ticket but did say you must have the goods examined by HMRC before checking in, which infers that you are leaving The EU.

So much nonsense here, HMRC says that UK purchases are non-vatable to non-residents, forget the BS about the need for return tickets, extra payments et al. If in doubt, email HMRC.

So I can pitch up to a High Street store and tell them I am a non-EU resident, please sell me that laptop tax free?

Or do I pay the VAT and claim it back at the airport, like I have done in Singapore and Hong Kong?

So much nonsense here, HMRC says that UK purchases are non-vatable to non-residents, forget the BS about the need for return tickets, extra payments et al. If in doubt, email HMRC.

So I can pitch up to a High Street store and tell them I am a non-EU resident, please sell me that laptop tax free?

Or do I pay the VAT and claim it back at the airport, like I have done in Singapore and Hong Kong?

Either/or, as long as you can prove that you are not UK/EU resident, up to you. My passport shows at least seven consecutive years of Thai (yearly) Immigration stamps with only occasional leisure travel stamps in-between - I also carry my Thai 5 year drivers license with me and if I need to, I'll also carry a copy of the email from HMRC with me which will let some of these idiots know what the law really is on this subject.

You pay the VAT and claim it back from the company that sold you the goods.

They need proof that you have left the country with them which is why you should show the Customs people on departure (although the office in Manchester Airport is always closed) and get the form stamped.