800,000 In The Bank?

It is to prove you have the funds to support the one year extension of stay. You are free to use it. The requirement is that it be in account for 3 months prior to succeeding applications (which is because of people having borrowed the funds for a day to apply in the past - the 3 months makes it less likely to happen).

It is to prove you have the funds to support the one year extension of stay. You are free to use it. The requirement is that it be in account for 3 months prior to succeeding applications (which is because of people having borrowed the funds for a day to apply in the past - the 3 months makes it less likely to happen).

Thanks for that. Still seems like a lot of money tho, I would spend maybe 120,000 per yr but we do already own our home.

Why wait and panic in the meantime. You say your Visa Extension is due in mid March. Take all your papers and apply now. If turned down, then you still have time to plan alternative action, like the Embassy Letter, which only takes days.

(I understood, but may be wrong, that the 800,000 Baht had to be there on the 2 dates (2 months before, and on the appliaction day), but they expected it to be used for daily expenses, so slight variance was OK, long as back to 800,000 when needed)

I renewed my Visa Extension last year on 11-FEB-09. The renewal date was 09-03-2009. I had the full money, over 800,000 Baht, in the Thai Bank account. The new Visa Extension was granted until 09-03-2010.

Due to the current exchange rate, this year I am going for the Embassy Letter method. I dropped in a copy of last year's tax return, showing my Company Pension and UK house rental income, to the Pattaya Consul's office. Fee 2,080 Baht. I will be collecting their letter tomorrow, then going next door and renewing my Visa Extension for another year.

I will also take a Bank letter to show my balance here, which is still healthy. The "FTT" code shows the money came into the country on a regular basis.

(I understood, but may be wrong, that the 800,000 Baht had to be there on the 2 dates (2 months before, and on the appliaction day), but they expected it to be used for daily expenses, so slight variance was OK, long as back to 800,000 when needed)

The rules are 800k in bank account 2 months before first application, 3 months for subsequent renewals. From official Police Order 777/2551:

2.22 In the case of a retiree: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than 800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

Something Immigration should take into consideration. I've extended my visa 4 times having had a minimum of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for the required period. We had to use 100,000 baht of it recently because of emergency and couldn't replace it for 3 weeks. We asked Immigration at Khon Kaen if it would be possible to extend my visa 30 days earlier than the expiry date to return to the UK to visit my elderly sick mother but Immigration said the 3 month period must resume when the balance was topped up again.

As stated above, the 3 month rule was introduced to prevent people abusing the system so why they cant show a bit of flexibility in genuine cases is beyond me.

Far too much to expect I suppose.

From the UK Embassy site. http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for...ng-in-thailand/

Proof of Income Letters

British nationals applying for a visa, or an extension of a visa, with the Thai Immigration Bureau may be asked to obtain a letter from us verifying their income. To obtain the letter you must be registered with us. We will also need to see a copy of your passport and, either bank statements for the previous 3 months, or the original evidence of your pension or income. We charge a fee of THB 2,088 for the letter, which is ready to collect from the Consular Section at 09:00 on the working day after the application is submitted to us. You can also apply for a proof of income letter by post. To apply by post you must ensure that the above documentation is included and that the total amount of pension or income you receive is clearly stated. You can only pay in the following ways;

* Banker's Draft, plus THB 200 administration fee;

* Postal orders payable to 'British Embassy' to be cashed at Nana Post Office, Bangkok 10110 (Please note that online postal orders are not accepted.

Return of the letter by EMS, if you apply in person or by post, costs an additional THB 100.

At the Belgian Consulate in Bangkok it is cheaper and easier.

Belgian citizens, registered at the Belgian Consulate in Bangkok, can send the completed and signed affidavit, all the documents needed as proof and the cash money with a registered letter.

They charge only EUR 10 (THB 480) to legalize the affidavit and THB 40 for sending it by EMS.

I think, Belgian passports (valid for five years only) are more expensive than British ones:

adults: EUR 79 (32 pages), resp. EUR 240 (64 pages);

minors: EUR 35 (32 pages), resp. EUR 210 (64 pages).

Ask the Bank to provide statements from the day prior to, or following the top up for the month affected. It is not a probelm at all - just look at it from a different persepective.

my bank would do the balance letter ONLY for the day I went in to the bank. And no history statement. You need to copy your bankbook.

Correct, the letter of the bank (price THB 200) only confirms you are the (only) holder of the bank account and the balance at that given moment.

You have to copy your passbook yourself to show the balances of the last three months.

OP's case is just another reason for parking the 800K baht in a local fixed deposit account and putting an end to balance angst -- if you can afford to let this chunk of money sit there earning very little interest.

What kind of interest would you earn on that, just out of interest!

Thanks.

I saw in a bank recently: 0.50 % on a savings account, 0.65 % on a fix term account.

Not that big difference.

That THB 800,000 story is really interesting for Thai banks.

This is a real long shot but maybe worth a try:

Do you have any other older Thai bank accounts that you no longer use that contain small amounts of money. if so you can combine multiple accounts to achieve the required balance.

Are you sure they accept letters from different banks (of course at THB 200 per piece) ?

That would allow you to spread the money over several banks. (You never know what is going to happen in TiT.)

OP's case is just another reason for parking the 800K baht in a local fixed deposit account and putting an end to balance angst -- if you can afford to let this chunk of money sit there earning very little interest.

Thanks.

I saw in a bank recently: 0.50 % on a savings account, 0.65 % on a fix term account.

Not that big difference.

I have just placed my THB800k on for three months and receive the princely sum of THB700 in interest at the end of it, (an interest rate of 0.35% pa). There is also an exchange risk, should the THB devalue before I remove the funds at the end of the three months.

Edited by thaiphoon

Thanks.

Not that big difference.

I have just placed my THB800k on for three months and receive the princely sum of THB700 in interest at the end of it, (an interest rate of 0.35% pa). There is also an exchange risk, should the THB devalue before I remove the funds at the end of the three months.

Not to mention the 15% compulsory witholding tax on all savings accounts -

but I do remember reading somewhere this has been abolished where the annual interest is below, (I think) 20K.

Thanks.

Not that big difference.

Indeed, I am more concerned about the risk of devaluation/depreciation than about interest rates.

Not to mention the 15% compulsory witholding tax on all savings accounts -

but I do remember reading somewhere this has been abolished where the annual interest is below, (I think) 20K.

5 5 5

To reach the THB 20,000 interest level you have to put THB 4 million into your savings account and to leave it there.

I can't believe any of the above written notes! I've been here four years. Just go to the immigration office about a month ahead of time, talk to the officer about this tiny mistake, and I'll bet he'll say "Never mind".

I like Thaivisa.com and there are a lot of smart people out there, but why ask them??? Go to the immigration office and find out.[

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) The applicant is 50 years of age or over;

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than

800,000 Baht as shown in the bank account for the past 3 months at the filing date of the application. For the first year, the applicant should have that amount in his bank account for not less than 60 days or

(5) Annual income plus bank account deposit totaling not less

than Baht 800,000 as of the filing date of application

I know Two seperate occassions expats on retirement extension visas have been told the 3month rule is reduced to 2 months...

It is two months for first time application - it is three months after that.

Are you saying people on long term retirement extensions have been told that? By what office? Thanks.

My colleague is 69 years old recently married to a Thai, has in excess of 800,000 in the bank. It used to be in joint names but has recently changed to single name. He has Non Imm O and has been extending it for years. He heard that 2months cash in the bank was ok and went to Ayuddaya Imm to check it out. He was told by the guy with a tash that he needs the cash in for only 2 months.

Could this be a concession? eg for expats switching from joint a/c to single ownership?

Could this be a concession? eg for expats switching from joint a/c to single ownership?

Is he extending for Retirement or Marriage?

Some Offices are still going with 2 months if for marriage.

He talks about THB 800,000, not THB 400,000.

So, I guess it is for retirement, not for marriage.

You are at the mercy of the Immigration Officer. Yes it is quite possible that you will be turned down.

Go and have a chat with them. You might be OK.

If you did have to start again you can get a Non Imm O Visa from a neighbouring country.

No need to go to UK.

So I could go to Mae Sai, Burma? Or would it have to be a Capital City?

I just read in a paper in my file headed Royal Thai Consulate ; " Please bear in mind that lt is highly unlikely that you will be able to obtain a Non immigrant Visa with multiple entries from any country other than your country of nationality". I am currently wanting to renew my Visa for one year. A sort of "retirement" Visa.

You donot need normally a multiple entry so if there is a way to get the visa in a country surrounding Thailand you might be able to sort it all out. Ie get visum, return, and make sure not to touch your money and that all papers are ok...

Normally I have very little problems with immigration but you experience may be different... What I normally do if I am in doubt is to ask a non related immigration office for advice so that any screwups reach my ears first...

This is a real long shot but maybe worth a try:

Do you have any other older Thai bank accounts that you no longer use that contain small amounts of money. if so you can combine multiple accounts to achieve the required balance.

This did once myself as my immigration office didnt like me using 2 bankbooks to get the 800000 to gether and I told them sorry, can I merge them, no problem was the answer...

I just ended up having mto make another visit!.

Ask the Bank to provide statements from the day prior to, or following the top up for the month affected. It is not a probelm at all - just look at it from a different persepective.

They would see the shortfall in his bank book.

Not necessarily as you should be able to ask for a new bankbook (like having lost the old one) and if you copy it partly ie without the takeout nobody may mind as I donot think immigration is going through all those bankbooks...

However as I mentioned elsewhere there are more honest ways of getting a good result...

Do you KNOW any of those guys properly??

... I am currently wanting to renew my Visa for one year. A sort of "retirement" Visa.

When you say “renew my Visa”, do you mean

a) get a new visa from a Thai consulate, ie outside Thailand; or

B) get an annual extension of stay from your local immigration office, ie inside Thailand?

--

Maestro

You may be able to do it in the region, I personally recommend the Thai Consulate in Hong Kong, they were very helpful to me. To avoid this in the future if you can open up an account without an ATM/Debit card attached to it and once the passbook is in a safe place "forget"about it until visa time rolls around once more.

Jeeze, what a load of answers about what is very probably a non-issue.

Just go and talk nicely to the immigration guys. I, as indeed another poster above, have always found them reasonable. Dress well, be polite and, if they even bother to ask, explain the reason.

The worst that can happen is that you have to top up to 800k, leave the country and fly back in on a 30 day entry stamp, and convert that to a non-imm retirement visa in the first week at immigration.