Bangkok Green Minibus Operators Face Arrest

webfact

Update deadline for minibuses

By The nation

Bangkok's green minibus operators must improve their vehicles and have them running on the NGV system by yesterday or face arrest, a Deputy Transport Minister on monday.

BANGKOK: -- Only 200 mini buses, out of some 1,000 in total, had been improved to up-to-standard condition and powered by NGV, while the rest are in the process of meeting regulations. Some 100 mini buses have not submitted to ministry inspection, which could be reinforced by law.

Suchart Chokechaiwattanakorn, who oversees the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), said the new operating requirements had been postponed many times, but now must be implemented. Operators who have ordered but not yet received new buses with NGV systems could submit documents and continue to use their old buses in the interim.

Some operators had threatened to protest with roadblocks, but Suchart warned they could be arrested and their licences revoked.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

It's good that the buses are finally being dragged into the 21st century but the operators have been given the last 5 years to buy the new stock and still they are protesting at having to upgrade.

The whole culture needs to embrace what is good for both the environment and the city but it seems to be an uphill battle.

...have them running on the NGV system by yesterday or face arrest.

I hope their time machine isn't required to run on NGV as well.

Some operators had threatened to protest with roadblocks, but Suchart warned they could be arrested and their licences revoked.

Oh how I cherish the day when the same can be said about our dreaded Phuket tuk tuks.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I'm impressed at how this government is finally pushing quite a few issues forward. A good thing for Thailand that things are getting a little more serious here.

This is probably a good think. And there are still a lot to be fixed. But I always wonder if some of these are political, for example if these people are Thaksin supporters?

I'm impressed at how this government is finally pushing quite a few issues forward. A good thing for Thailand that things are getting a little more serious here.

This is probably a good think. And there are still a lot to be fixed. But I always wonder if some of these are political, for example if these people are Thaksin supporters?

Just cheap bastards...have them everywhere.

Is it possible that Thailand is hoping to move from merely "mouthing words" to actually implementing actions/consequences? Humn????? Ah, maybe not but really SOUNDS good eh? LOL ah funny place.

UPDATE

Minibus operators: 400,000 passengers affected by service stoppage

BANGKOK: -- (TNA) – Halting the service of 750 green minibuses, whose operators failed to replace them with the now required natural gas-fuelled buses, will affect 400,000 passengers in the capital, according to a leading minibus operator.

Minibus Operators Association chairman Theerachai Horjitsiriyanond said the green minibuses were ordered to halt their services, from Wednesday after the transport ministry had given operators five years to replace their old green buses with new NGV-fuelled ones.

Mr Theerachai said although the state-run Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA) is operating 500 substitute buses, the shortfall of 250 buses has an impact on passengers, particularly at busy connection spots like the Victory Monument.

Moreover, the stoppage has caused about 10,000 bus drivers and conductors to lose their incomes, he added.

The association will submit a letter to the BMTA, asking the concession grantor to extend the deadline,to await purchase of new buses. Most operators agreed to change their buses as required by the Ministry.

"The association will definitely not block a road to stage a protest," he said.

Of 1,000 green minibuses providing service in the city, about 200 buses have already changed to natural gas-equipped engines, Mr Theerachai said.

The rest of 750 are in the process of being replaced by the new buses.

Meanwhile, Wirat Sakhao, head of the BMTA's inspectors, Bus Zone 18 said no passengers had complained about the minibus stoppage as they were replaced by 500 BMTA buses and the BMTA earlier informed passengers through a continuing public relations campaign. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-02-17

They needed replacing 15 years ago but I think the worst thing I used to find was alot of the drivers used to stink of whiskey, jump red lights and race each other this was my only real concern. I guess that somebody driving a yellow bus will have to drive more responsibly??? lol

How do you have 10,000 drivers and conductors laid off with the shut down of 750 to 800 buses. I am looking for the news report which will give an accurate and concise translation/interview of a subject. Just one time pleeeaaase.

How do you have 10,000 drivers and conductors laid off with the shut down of 750 to 800 buses. I am looking for the news report which will give an accurate and concise translation/interview of a subject. Just one time pleeeaaase.

A little bit of doodling here:

Let's assume there's 800 buses each running from 0500hrs to 2400hrs, that's 19hrs.

Say 2 drivers per bus work 9.5hr shifts each, that's 1600 drivers.

Plus for every driver there's a conductor to collect fares, push passengers in and flap their arms when the bus wants to change lanes.

So 1600 drivers + 1600 conductors= 3200 crews

10,000 laid off? Sometimes the reporters pull numbers out of the air.

Over! :)

These green monsters should have had their licenses revoked a decade ago. They should have gone the way of non-metered taxis. The buses are dangerous, the drivers drive dangerous, and these buses aren't even insured properly. It's horrible how they race each other for passengers like cutting other cars off two three lanes at a time.

most of those green rattle-traps are unfit for being on the road. In most cases, from looking at their general condition, without even looking at their mechanical condition, the upgrade cost would be more than the value of the vehicle. No wonder owners don't want to upgrade them. They should all be scrapped.

UPDATE

Green minibus operators seek help

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- More than 400 minibus operators yesterday asked the Central Administrative Court for help with the government's move to ban greenminibus services from yesterday.

The service has been banned because the fleet of buses had not met the new standards.

The bus operators yesterday also lodged a complaint against the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), Transport Minister Sophon Saram and Deputy Transport Minister Suchart Chokchaiwattanakorn.

According to their affidavit, they had only been notified about the new standards on August 16 last year and they did not have enough time to make all the improvements to meet the February 17 deadline.

"The bus operators had to seek loans, wait for approvals and queue up for new buses from manufacturers or assemblers," Thanawat Suwansuk, one of the minibus operators, said.

He added that the court should allow the green minibuses to continue operating until their new fleet arrives.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-19

UPDATE

Green minibus operators seek help

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- More than 400 minibus operators yesterday asked the Central Administrative Court for help with the government's move to ban greenminibus services from yesterday.

The service has been banned because the fleet of buses had not met the new standards.

The bus operators yesterday also lodged a complaint against the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority (BMTA), Transport Minister Sophon Saram and Deputy Transport Minister Suchart Chokchaiwattanakorn.

According to their affidavit, they had only been notified about the new standards on August 16 last year and they did not have enough time to make all the improvements to meet the February 17 deadline.

"The bus operators had to seek loans, wait for approvals and queue up for new buses from manufacturers or assemblers," Thanawat Suwansuk, one of the minibus operators, said.

He added that the court should allow the green minibuses to continue operating until their new fleet arrives.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-19

Former articles said they had 5 years' time, now we learn that they were only informed in August last year. What is true?

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately this government is tarnished by human rights abuses, such as the killing of Cambodian loggers along the border and the Rohignya refugee atrocities.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Catching my first green bus, about 9 years ago, was one of lifes great experiences. For a ride like had you would pay $20 at any amusement park anywhere in the world. I only caught a green bus once ,yes I'm a complete wimp.