Chances Of A Job? (my Skills Are Listed)

i am currently self-employed outside thailand, but will be moving to thailand. i have a few job opportunities i am looking at, with internet companies in thailand.

* i am an expert with both linux/windows operating systems

* 4 major programming languages and 2 database application languages

* experienced with network security

* experienced with graphic designing (photoshop, flash, etc)

* excellent (speaking and writing perfect, no accents) in english, german and spanish, and a little bit of thai.

in all of the IT sections, i have 6+ years of experience. i realize that different companies have different needs but what are the chances of employment in thailand with these specifications? i am visiting next month (have been in thailand before) for two job interviews (one with an IT company, one with a 'translation' company) but may be looking for more. thanks for your input :o

Edited by gnthl

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,

you r just what we nee in thsilame need, coom on doene to plantip plaza, we neesd soomone with oosyr experience in seelind dvd's etc. i'll give you a job bit i hole yoy habe grest ungrit like me. jist pm me. sorry bout spe,,ing mistekes.

leum laio ja poot arai na,

chock dee na, mao laio.

8bvall, na :o

i am currently self-employed outside thailand, but will be moving to thailand. i have a few job opportunities i am looking at, with internet companies in thailand.

* excellent (speaking and writing perfect, no accents) in english, german and spanish, and a little bit of thai.

in all of the IT sections, i have 6+ years of experience. i realize that different companies have different needs but what are the chances of employment in thailand with these specifications? i am visiting next month (have been in thailand before) for two job interviews (one with an IT company, one with a 'translation' company) but may be looking for more. thanks for your input :o

As long as you keep your salary expectations low, i believe that with these qualifications you can find an IT job.

Linux+Windows+4prog langs + 2DBases + 3,5 spoken languages ?!

Your future is system analyst at international corp in industrial area with wedge of 60-80K greenbacks a year. at least. good luck

60 - 80K a year ? 200,000 - 260,000 Baht a month for a system analyst in Thailand ?

You'd be earning 35,000 Baht a month in the company I run here....

Get a bit of domain expertise (manufacturing, financial etc.) to go along with your pure technical skills & you'll be able to pick up a System Analyst job. I'd be paying 50,000 Baht a month for you then.

60 - 80K a year ? 200,000 - 260,000 Baht a month for a system analyst in Thailand ?

You'd be earning 35,000 Baht a month in the company I run here....

Agree totally, you would expect between 20k - 40k a month here as a local hire.

Thats $500 to $1000 USD a month. or $6,000 - $12,000 USD a year. Althought you won't pay much Thai Tax, you will probably have to pay US tax on that as well.

You didn't mention if you had a university degree in an IT related field. If you don't have one of those, you can dream of an IT job in this country. Also as advice, don't get a degree off the internet, IT companies here do check to qualifications and will call your home country and university. If the Ministary of Labour catches you trying that you will go to jail and get sent home never to come back.

I have to say that all the recruitment companies I have dealt with are next to useless. They are very passive in terms of marketing a foreigner. I got my IT job the hard way, by calling companies and selling myself, until I found a friendly face.

Other than that, you need to look in a niche that you will offer something no-one else can.

Good Luck - it can take years to get an IT job here for a foreigner.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

sorry i didnt check for a long time. anyways, i dont need to pay US tax because i'm not a US citizen (and i dont mind paying taxes at all, by the way, even in Thailand). i don't have a university degree, however. i realize thats a minus, however i do have some language pluses, i believe. speaking and writing 3 languages perfectly (even without accent) and my programming/networking skills. so i guess it would be hard to find a job, but the possibility is there, right? :o

Sell your MIS/IT Skills to 20 companies for 5-10KTHB a month, to be their part-time MIS guys that CAN fix any of their IT problems on a 24x7 basis.

Slave works, but the money is there.

that's an idea. i assume you mean freelance work.

Just curious - how many log ons do you have to Thaivisa? gnthl and gnthl_2 - anymore?

>* i am an expert with both linux/windows operating systems

Good to know both, though you may need to specialize.

>* 4 major programming languages and 2 database application languages

I know 12 but so what... How well can you use them? App/system design, design patterns, code design, system architecture skills are more important than how many languages you know.

>* experienced with network security

BIG PLUS (assuming your not just talking about SSL LOL) Huge area.

>* experienced with graphic designing (photoshop, flash, etc)

Many Thais can do this... lots of competition

>* excellent (speaking and writing perfect, no accents) in english, german and >spanish, and a little bit of thai.

Generally only English and Thai are relevant

Biggest plus is if you have some proveable hard-core experience in some large projects... not just having done a website for company x. If so you should be ok though you wont get paid a ###### of a lot.

How do the minimum salary requirements apply to foreigners (if not teaching)?

United States, Canada, Japan  60,000 baht/month

Europe, UK, Australia, NZ  50,000 baht/month 

Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea  45,000 baht/month 

India, Malaysia, Middle East  45,000 baht/month 

China, Philippines, Indonesia  35,000 baht/month 

Africa, Lao PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam  25,000 baht/month 

Journalists working for Thailand newspapers  20,000 baht/month

As many others I've been trying to get a job in Thailand (i'm in Bkk since early February) but no luck yet.

I'm Portuguese, have a degree in Electronics and Telecommunications Eng. (5 years degree) with a few research papers published. I've been working for a publishing company (SME) for 7 years as IT Man. (actually a shareholder).

Can work on anything from analog(ue)/digital electronics (Hardware) to Telecommunications (wired and wireless, protocols, networking, RF) and computer science subjects, low-level to high level language programming (software, operating systems, simulation, CAD)...

I apply to job openings daily on a few recruitment sites (jobsdb, nation,bangkokpost) but answers are very scarce.

Actually, if you are a first-class coder in PHP/MySQL, and **reliable**, **honest** and willing to work flexible hours, I know the perfect IT job for you, paid by an offshore company into any bank account of your choice.

:o

Actually, if you are a first-class coder in PHP/MySQL, and **reliable**, **honest** and willing to work flexible hours, I know the perfect IT job for you, paid by an offshore company into any bank account of your choice.

:o

I'd definitely be interested in that. I can work any hours set by my employer, i've worked day shifts and night shifts before, or both combined, not a problem. I also usually go the "extra mile" to get the project done sooner and better. Please PM me with your contact details and we can get in touch over email or phone. Thanks a lot :D

Funny how many people ignored language skills... on an English-language forum where Thai is only allowed in the Thai-language forum.

For practical purposes there are zero Thais fluent in other European languages, who also have tech skills. Those are smaller markets, but they are most certainly not non-existent, and there's not much competition. Good luck.

I met a fellow like you a few years ago -- he was from Antartica and he was going to the Sahara desert to find some ice.

We had a nice chat.

In the end he decided to just stay in Antartica and vist the Sahara twice each year.

That was a very memorable brainstorming session. :D

gnthl_2, just wondering, why do you emphasize the "no accents" bit of your language skills?

i have never come across any employer who will discriminate on accent unless of course they are looking for a language teacher...or perhaps someone from india working in the service support outsourcing industry.

i don't think this is an issue here in thailand.

I met a fellow like you a few years ago -- he was from Antartica and he was going to the Sahara desert to find some ice.

We had a nice chat.

In the end he decided to just stay in Antartica and vist the Sahara twice  each year.

That was a very memorable brainstorming session.  :o

i get your point, however it wasn't really helpful. i just stated my skills and my possible plus points :D

I think what this degreeless self proclaimed expert means by no accent is that he speaks his various languages at a native level. For instance, if a forienger was to speak Mandarin Chinese at a native level, like a native of Taiwan, well yes, he speaks like a native, without a forieng accent. If this individual goes to main land China, he will sure have an accent, the accent of a Taiwanese.

We had a nice chat.

In the end he decided to just stay in Antartica and vist the Sahara twice  each year.

That was a very memorable brainstorming session.   :o

i get your point, however it wasn't really helpful. i just stated my skills and my possible plus points :D

If you got my point then that's as helpful as its going to get, amigo -- if the premise is wrong, why continue? :D

and if a native german speaking swiss or Austrian goes to North Germany, they will not even recognize that this is German, they'll think it is either Mandarin or French. While the Swiss and Austrian will understand the North Germans very well....

I think what this degreeless self proclaimed expert means by no accent is that he speaks his various languages at a native level. For instance, if a forienger was to speak Mandarin Chinese at a native level, like a native of Taiwan, well yes, he speaks like a native, without a forieng accent.  If this individual goes to main land  China, he will sure have an accent, the accent of a Taiwanese.

We had a nice chat.

That was a very memorable brainstorming session.  :o

If you got my point then that's as helpful as its going to get, amigo -- if the premise is wrong, why continue? :D

i realize its difficult, but not impossible. i actually called up two companies i was referred to and have an interview setup for tomorrow. we'll see how that goes, thanks a lot for your kind advice :D