Retirement Visa

I am thinking of applying for a imm "O" retirement visa using my USA Social Security (pension)as part of the 800,000 baht requirement. Example 600,000 baht social security "pension" and 200,000 baht in Thai bank. I understand this method is acceptable under Thai law for retirement visa, although it is not for the marrying a Thai version

How does one make the "pension" amount known to Thai immigration?? Get a statement from USA embassy??? A statement from USA social Security office ?? Also who keeps track of the value of the pension in Thai baht from year to year and so one can adjust the money in the Thai bank to make sure it all equals 800,000 baht at the required time.

Thanks got the help

"How does one make the "pension" amount known to Thai immigration?? Get a statement from USA embassy???"

Yes, a letter from your embassy will be required.

"Also who keeps track of the value of the pension in Thai baht from year to year..."

The amount on the embassy letter will be in dollars. When you use it, use the current exchange rate.

Depending on which immigration office you use, you'll need a new letter every 1-3 years.

1. Embassy letter of income. US cost is $30 as must be notarized before US Consular Officer that the figure presented in real. You should have your SSA statement available for Immigration if asked (normally will not be). Letter validity varies by the immigration office used (the Embassy does not set any time limit on its use).

2. You do not require a bank statement (unless non passbook account). Most banks here use passbooks so you would take that/copies as well as a letter of account balance issued by the branch account is held at. Immigration may require current day letter or ATM receipt to prove money in account and if passbook does not prove account has had funds for the required 2 or 3 months the bank letter should confirm. This is something that one answer does not cover all offices but in general retirement extension of stay is a very simple process if you meet the financial requirements.

1. Embassy letter of income. US cost is $30 as must be notarized before US Consular Officer that the figure presented in real. You should have your SSA statement available for Immigration if asked (normally will not be). Letter validity varies by the immigration office used (the Embassy does not set any time limit on its use).

2. You do not require a bank statement (unless non passbook account). Most banks here use passbooks so you would take that/copies as well as a letter of account balance issued by the branch account is held at. Immigration may require current day letter or ATM receipt to prove money in account and if passbook does not prove account has had funds for the required 2 or 3 months the bank letter should confirm. This is something that one answer does not cover all offices but in general retirement extension of stay is a very simple process if you meet the financial requirements.

A related question re the US Embassy certifying the pension. I am also a US citizen, but with a pension from the United Nations. Do you think the US Embassy would also certify a UN pension statement? Thanks

The US Embassy, American Citizens Services section will sign and notarize a legal affidavit that "YOU" fill in, sign and swear to. They do no checks of any proof of the stated income from whatever source. YOU are the one stating how much, in USD, you receive. This is a sworn statement by you. If you make any false statements on this affidavit you are guilty of making false statements to a consular official and could be prosecuted. The ACS people make no copies of this "letter".

It is up to you to write in the amount you receive. If you go to Immigration with this letter as proof of your pension it is suggested that you have documentation to back up this claim. In all likelihood Immigration will keep the letter and you will need a new one the next year.

In five years of using this letter ( the last three were new each year) for my proof of income Immigration has only asked me what exchange rate I used to show this figure equated to 65k or more. They have never asked for any proof of this income source. I have never heard anyone here on TV being asked to back up the US pension letter with proof. Never say never and it would be good to have the proof available.

Embassy does not certify anything but your signature and that you say under oath that the information is true. Am not sure of the exact wording (US source mentioned or not) but if not then you should be able to add that to the total. Just have the paperwork available in asked by Immigration.

A related question re the US Embassy certifying the pension. I am also a US citizen, but with a pension from the United Nations. Do you think the US Embassy would also certify a UN pension statement? Thanks

At the embassy you simply fill out the statement of income form that is provided by the Embassy. You enter the amount of your retirement income/incomes as a lump sum. Then wait until you are in front of the officer to sign the form. You are certifying the accuracy of the ammount listed as income and the Embassy official is merely verifying your signature.

Edited by Wash

I did my most recent "retirement" extension earlier this month. Went to my SCB branch to get the "bank letter," didn't check it out right then. Next morning, gathering up my paperwork for Immigration, I notice that the bank letter had my "available" balance rather than what was shown in the passbook. Ungood, as the available balance didn't reflect the last two checks I'd deposited to the account on my U.S. bank.

Back to the bank asked if they could redo the letter with the passbook balance indicated. No can do, sez the gal, the branch manager, and same after a phone call downtown.

OK, so how about doing the statement using the old form (copy attached) rather than a narrative letter. OK, no problem, and this was OK at Immigration, along with my passbook showing the minimum amount for three months. I did have an ATM receipt from the day before but it wasn't asked for.

Mac

post-32650-1266978616_thumb.jpg

You are certifying the accuracy of the amount listed as income

Don't get hung up on the term "income." The statement being attested to says nothing about "income," only that you receive X amount of dollars monthly from the "US Govt/or other sources."

If you were drawing down a savings account in order to survive in Thailand, waiting, perhaps, until Social Security kicked in, you would ethically be on solid ground.

What Immigration would say, in the small probability they would ask, is another matter.......