Uk Elections....vote Carefully!

Slaps

Frightening? Hardly.

It's ignorance and apathy that's the biggest threat. If you vote with your heart, there won't be The United Islamic Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland to worry about. Ever. In fact, don't just vote with your heart, get your apathetic <deleted> out of the pub and just vote! Or, stay in Thailand and whinge about how bad it is back home.

Who did the video editing btw, the BNP?

IMHO, this has no place on ANY TV forum. Circulating sh!te like this ultimately defeats whatever noble intent one may have.

When I was last in the UK I registered at my local doctors surgery. I was asked to take my passport in for ID. I handed it over and the receptionist looked through every page then told me I could not register as I had no stamp to say I could stay in the UK. I took me 10 minutes to explain that as a BRITISH citizen I did not need any stamp. It seems that 90 odd % of the people registered there had a stamp. Shocking!

When I was last in the UK I registered at my local doctors surgery. I was asked to take my passport in for ID. I handed it over and the receptionist looked through every page then told me I could not register as I had no stamp to say I could stay in the UK. I took me 10 minutes to explain that as a BRITISH citizen I did not need any stamp. It seems that 90 odd % of the people registered there had a stamp. Shocking!

just a observation,how come you wernt all ready registered,if it was your local???.

Seems to me you have one of two options.

Laugh or cry.

Yes it is ridiculous !!!

What's shocking?

The the way you assume (90%) rather than stating facts, or that the doctor's receptionist was thick enough to think everybody would have a stamp, not everybody even has a passport.

just a observation,how come you wernt all ready registered,if it was your local???.

That might have something to do with the fact that, once you havent been to see your GP in 12 months (for whatever reason) all your records get sent back to wherever "inactive" records get sent to, and you have to re-register, which USED to be a formality, but now is more of a pantomime than ever.

People need to read up and learn how expats are being treated when they come back to live in UK on anything but a flying visit to see relatives or to take a holiday.

I think, in the coming months and years we are in for a BIG shock, if we just see ourselves as "the prodigal son" returning home.................morelike the fatted calf, if anything, truth be told !!!!!!!!

Penkoprod

That might have something to do with the fact that, once you havent been to see your GP in 12 months (for whatever reason) all your records get sent back to wherever "inactive" records get sent to, and you have to re-register, which USED to be a formality, but now is more of a pantomime than ever.

People need to read up and learn how expats are being treated when they come back to live in UK on anything but a flying visit to see relatives or to take a holiday.

I think, in the coming months and years we are in for a BIG shock, if we just see ourselves as "the prodigal son" returning home.................morelike the fatted calf, if anything, truth be told !!!!!!!!

Penkoprod

I did not see my registered doctor for 5 years! and saw him last year,no problem.

Tut Tut, why is it sh_t, this high ranking minister is preaching religion, perhaps an all Islamic audience enjoying what they are hearing but for an ageing Englishman slowly watching my country slide down the slippery slope of no return, over the years, it's quite worrying. Our long reigning government has bent over backwards to satisfy every Tom, dick and Harry to get votes, even appointing religious minority ministers to secure that religions votes. But the way things are going his religion won't be the minority. You talk about us who live in Thailand and whing, you forget, our family's are still in the UK and we should worry.

what does this sentence even mean?

Tut Tut, why is it sh_t, this high ranking minister is preaching religion, perhaps an all Islamic audience enjoying what they are hearing but for an ageing Englishman slowly watching my country slide down the slippery slope of no return, over the years, it's quite worrying. Our long reigning government has bent over backwards to satisfy every Tom, dick and Harry to get votes, even appointing religious minority ministers to secure that religions votes. But the way things are going his religion won't be the minority. You talk about us who live in Thailand and whing, you forget, our family's are still in the UK and we should worry.

Not allowed to say on the forum, but it has several meanings.

Clear as a bell to me

:)

Not allowed to say on the forum, but it has several meanings.

and is there a good reason that you're not allowed to say them on the forum? as in they're generally reactionary <deleted>?

where are you watching your country slide down this slippery slope from out of interest?

I did not see my registered doctor for 5 years! and saw him last year,no problem.

While you might not well have needed to, the poster of post #5 had to.

Thats because he "fell victim" to letter of the law....its like when the monthly visa runners were knobbled and shouted "change of law" when it was just the application of the existing laws. The above is happening to more and more people who arent aware of the laws, as the NHS and pension schemes, for that matter, start facing cutbacks in funding to bail out the banks/bankers.

Penkoprod

Yes, look in the forum rules, l don't want to tread on any ones toes (again). But readers for sure know what l am refering to and so do you.

How old are you ?, out of interest, because if you are not heading on your way to being a senior or a senior you know nothing, seen nothing, understand nothing of what's happened to the UK over the last 5 decades to the ordinary guy in the street. The English cannot talk in public about their thoughts of what is happening in their country because it can be classed as illegal and one can be prosecuted for it, there you are one of the items on my slippery slope.

What difference does it make to you where l am at present to do with the topic. I am a UK Ambassador,assigned overseas, made any difference, no. Think you should stop nick picking, and say something constructive, get to "your" point. Please :) But l think the topic will not go there.

i suspect i do know what you're referring to, yes, and it smells more than faintly of xenophobia and potentially racism. i just always find it laughably pathetic to hear brits based overseas as immigrants themselves alluding to what a mess immigration has made of the uk. think you'll find britain's 'problems' (among the highest living standards in the world, freedom of movement, ability to enjoy foreign holidays every year, numerous cars, flatscreen tvs, mortgages they can't afford, unbridled freedom of expression whatever you might claim) are generally of britain's own making. the odd radical cleric here or there is nowhere near the top of britain's list of issues at the moment.

when it comes to who to vote for in the next uk election it'd be wise to pay more heed to the two main parties and what they intend to do in the larger scheme of things than the odd publicity-seeking random religious zealot.

Yes, look in the forum rules, l don't want to tread on any ones toes (again). But readers for sure know what l am refering to and so do you.

How old are you ?, out of interest, because if you are not heading on your way to being a senior or a senior you know nothing, seen nothing, understand nothing of what's happened to the UK over the last 5 decades to the ordinary guy in the street. The English cannot talk in public about their thoughts of what is happening in their country because it can be classed as illegal and one can be prosecuted for it, there you are one of the items on my slippery slope.

What difference does it make to you where l am at present to do with the topic. I am a UK Ambassador,assigned overseas, made any difference, no. Think you should stop nick picking, and say something constructive, get to "your" point. Please :) But l think the topic will not go there.

i suspect i do know what you're referring to, yes, and it smells more than faintly of xenophobia and potentially racism. i just always find it laughably pathetic to hear brits based overseas as immigrants themselves alluding to what a mess immigration has made of the uk. think you'll find britain's 'problems' (among the highest living standards in the world, freedom of movement, ability to enjoy foreign holidays every year, numerous cars, flatscreen tvs, mortgages they can't afford, unbridled freedom of expression whatever you might claim) are generally of britain's own making. the odd radical cleric here or there is nowhere near the top of britain's list of issues at the moment.

when it comes to who to vote for in the next uk election it'd be wise to pay more heed to the two main parties and what they intend to do in the larger scheme of things than the odd publicity-seeking random religious zealot.

where in the u.k. do you actually hail from? somewhere in the sticks no doubt!

when you next visit the shores of the u.k. drop by my home town sometime(wembley, london borough of brent) im sure it will enlighten you.

tramsam couldnt agree with you more!

Edited by tigerfish

Frightening? Hardly.

It's ignorance and apathy that's the biggest threat. If you vote with your heart, there won't be The United Islamic Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland to worry about. Ever. In fact, don't just vote with your heart, get your apathetic <deleted> out of the pub and just vote! Or, stay in Thailand and whinge about how bad it is back home.

Who did the video editing btw, the BNP?

IMHO, this has no place on ANY TV forum. Circulating sh!te like this ultimately defeats whatever noble intent one may have.

Our long reigning government has bent over backwards to satisfy every Tom, dick and Harry to get votes, even appointing religious minority ministers to secure that religions votes.

That is exactly the point. Every government (especially in the last 20 years) has tried to stay in power by losing as few voters as possible as political parties across the globe have moved to the center ground, as a result of appeasing every minority. Weather they are religious, work in a particlur industry or sector, have a certain income or social status or axe to grind, minority voice is most often heard. The coalition of minorities has risen above the majority and this cornerstone of democracy (majority rule) is lost. IMHO, it is all about staying in power and NOT doing what is right for the country. Over the same timescale the politicans realised the importance of the media in managing the attrition of voters, multiplied by apathy, to the extent that the media now has as significant an influence over the agenda of the country as the politicians and the ruling government, by highlighting the case of the minority for sensational appeal. I'm not suggesting a solution, it would take some far more clever than me to work out how resolve the vicious circle; but bigitory, xenophobia and racisim are perhaps the most distasteful aspects of the current suitation.

Edited by GingerLing

when you next visit the shores of the u.k. drop by my home town sometime(wembley, london borough of brent) im sure it will enlighten you.

X2.

The UK is one of the most overcrowded countries in Europe. Amongst other things, there is a chronic shortage of housing (hence people taking on mortgages they can barely afford) and a huge strain on public services, both of which are linked to unfettered population growth. The population is projected to rise to 70 million by 2026. Alan Johnson said he wouldn't lose any sleep over that but I do. I plan to be out of the UK by then (currently 38).

Britain has high living standards but they have been steadily falling over time, iirc it doesn't even make the top 20 for quality of life now. And the country is now so indebted we will be paying for it for generations to come. Go figure.

As for Brits overseas, they are living in countries with far more sensible immigration policies. They are net contributors to society. For example, how many Brits in Thailand are claiming social security benefits, free healthcare etc. from the Thai authorities???

Edited by MarkyM3

i'm from the north-west, one of the places which was destroyed by conservative economic and social policies. not sure what 'in the sticks' means anyway these days when many brits would have you believe there are no green spaces left in the uk.

i lived 12 years in london and know brent well enough thanks. london is a magnificent cultural melting pot of an international city and one of the greatest cities in the world. the fact that particular parts of the uk are now home to lots of people with different-coloured skin has nothing to do with any of the major problems britain faces today. sorry.

That is exactly the point. Every government (especially in the last 20 years) has tried to stay in power by losing as few voters as possible as political parties across the globe have moved to the center ground, as a result of appeasing every minority. Weather they are religious, work in a particlur industry or sector, have a certain income or social status or axe to grind, minority voice is most often heard. The coalition of minorities has risen above the majority and this cornerstone of democracy (majority rule) is lost. IMHO, it is all about staying in power and NOT doing what is right for the country. Over the same timescale the politicans realised the importance of the media in managing the attrition of voters, multiplied by apathy, to the extent that the media now has as significant an influence over the agenda of the country as the politicians and the ruling government, by highlighting the case of the minority for sensational appeal. I'm not suggesting a solution, it would take some far more clever than me to work out how resolve the vicious circle; but bigitory, xenophobia and racisim are perhaps the most distasteful aspects of the current suitation.

good post, but this bit in particular. think readers will find that the people in charge of the UK's government, economy and policy in recent times, in fact forever, have been wealthy, lazy, ambitious, greedy white men.

i'm from the north-west, one of the places which was destroyed by conservative economic and social policies. not sure what 'in the sticks' means anyway these days when many brits would have you believe there are no green spaces left in the uk.

i lived 12 years in london and know brent well enough thanks. london is a magnificent cultural melting pot of an international city and one of the greatest cities in the world. the fact that particular parts of the uk are now home to lots of people with different-coloured skin has nothing to do with any of the major problems britain faces today. sorry.

ok take your argument one step further.

elections, and what is always a hot topic "jobs"

what do you say to the avearge joe on the street who has house, mortgage, wife and 2 kids, bills etc...

lets say for instance hes a carpenter, builder, butcher, electrition and cant make a decent living for himself and his family because he is constantly being undercut in the service that he provides by immigrant eastern european workers.

then lets say they do a job for 2/3 of the price quoted by mr average joe, dont declare their earnings (i.e dont pay tax) but claim benefits from the state, council house, child benifits, income support, job seekers allowance and so on.

whilst your average joe is still trying to scrap a living together while paying tax to support all these free loaders. thats not a problem is it?

the conservative government may have done a lot of bad things whilst in power but at least they had the best interest at heart of the u.k. and its people. unlike the labour government that has been in power for nearly the same amount of time and has brought the u.k. down to its knees with its policies.

Edited by tigerfish

what do you say to the avearge joe on the street who has house, mortgage, wife and 2 kids, bills etc...

lets say for instance hes a carpenter, builder, butcher, electrition and cant make a decent living for himself and his family because he is constantly being undercut in the service that he provides by immigrant eastern european workers.

then lets say they do a job for 2/3 of the price quoted by mr average joe, dont declare their earnings (i.e dont pay tax) but claim benefits from the state, council house, child benifits, income support, job seekers allowance and so on.

whilst your average joe is still trying to scrap a living together while paying tax to support all these free loaders. thats not a problem is it?

the conservative government may have done a lot of bad things whilst in power but at least they had the best interest at heart of the u.k. and its people. unlike the labour government that has been in power for nearly the same amount of time and has brought the u.k. down to its knees with its policies.

Have to agree 99%

Just not sure the Conservatives will do any better

:)

as a certain mr blair once quoted in one of his pre election speeches, education, eucation, education.

i think you will find that anyone who addresses the issue in a pre election speech of immigration, immigration, immigration. will be regarded a serious main contender for government this time around.

i'd say 'stop reading the daily mail' for starters. who do you think is employing all these labourers who undercut the average joe? white british company owners in the main looking for cheap labour. average joe isn't being screwed by foreign workers, he's being screwed by capitalism and inherent greed really. not sure i agree with your assumption that every not-brit is a tax-dodging sponger either since a) that would be illegal (see previous point about who employs them) and :) i've met plenty of british tax-dodging labourers anyway.

"the conservative government may have done a lot of bad things whilst in power but at least they had the best interest at heart of the u.k. and its people" - you've just painted me a picture there. cheers.

as a certain mr blair once quoted in one of his pre election speeches, education, eucation, education.

i think you will find that anyone who addresses the issue in a pre election speech of immigration, immigration, immigration. will be regarded a serious main contender for government this time around.

you're right, they probably will. and what a sad, sad day that will be.

i'd say 'stop reading the daily mail' for starters. who do you think is employing all these labourers who undercut the average joe? white british company owners in the main looking for cheap labour. average joe isn't being screwed by foreign workers, he's being screwed by capitalism and inherent greed really. not sure i agree with your assumption that every not-brit is a tax-dodging sponger either since a) that would be illegal (see previous point about who employs them) and :D i've met plenty of british tax-dodging labourers anyway.

"the conservative government may have done a lot of bad things whilst in power but at least they had the best interest at heart of the u.k. and its people" - you've just painted me a picture there. cheers.

give me maggie thatcher over those two <deleted>, blair and brown any day :)

give me maggie thatcher over those two <deleted>, blair and brown any day :)

if you can explain to me the difference between a warmongering rightwing overpriveleged female bastard and a warmongering rightwing overpriveleged male bastard i'd be happy to hear it.

blair = thatcher with better teeth.