Red Shirt Demo Watch!

Jingthing

They have announced a million man march for March. The verdict is tomorrow. They don't have a million men now or they would start if off now. They keep making threats and claims and then can't back it up. So, who knows. Anyway, anything is possible in the next few months, don't kid yourself.

And the point of a million man march in a country with almost 67 million thai people ? :D

CHANT: We have a minority, we have a minority. :)

as did tony blair and George Bush, democrats never had majority PPP won last election as in red shirts Mr Samak

He was not removed by a coup. He wasn't even PM at the time of the coup.

You are right the coupe wasn't staged to get rid of Thaksin but to get rid of TRT, change the constitution, install Democrats,

increase the salary and whilst we are at it raise the Military budget.

He was not removed by a coup. He wasn't even PM at the time of the coup.

i always thought he was, to be exact at a world leaders meeting in New York. united nations thought he was Pime Minister

The 2006 Thailand coup d'état took place on Tuesday 19 September 2006, when the Royal Thai Army staged a coup d'état against the elected caretaker government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. The coup d'état, which was Thailand's first non-constitutional change of government in fifteen years

On the evening of 19 September 2006, the Thai military and police overthrew the elected government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. At the time, the premier was in New York City for a meeting of the United Nations General Assembly.

At 01:30 (20:30 UTC) on 20 September it was announced that the Prime Minister had cancelled his speech at the United Nations.[22] The prime minister watched his downfall on television from a hotel in New York. Tom Kruesopon, an TRT member and an adviser Thaksin, said the premier "has not given up his power. He is not seeking asylum

Some of Thaksin's critics wanted to jettison his policies promoting privatization, free trade agreements and CEO-style administration.

this bit below i found interesting, i knew 9 was important but not that important.

The Nation noted that the timing of the coup contains many instances of the number nine, a highly auspicious number in Thai numerology. The coup occurred at the 19th day of the 9th month of Buddhist Era 2549. Coup leader Sonthi Boonyaratglin made a major public announcement on the morning after the coup at 9.39 am.[49] The Nation earlier indicated 9:16 as the time for Sonthi's press conference

source wikipedia

Edited by NALAK

i went down today and had a walk around and had a chat with some of the stall holders, they have some thing they beleive in, if i remeber rightly he was elected in by the majority, maybe he did some things we perseve as wrong but look what that shower in the UK have stolen recently, US has its share of corrupt polotitions as well. he introduced 30 baht health scheme, one tamboon one product, lent the villages a million each for development, brought the country forward in leaps and bounds, got rid of a lot of the drug scum forcing the prices through the roof. now drugs are cheap and more widly used. but he was elected democraticly, that means more people voted for his party then any other, if he came back he would win again. i did not find them un educated country bumkins,( sure Rimmer told me there was a rule against such statements reguarding Thai people) dictators dont hold elections as in North korea. either way i purchased a shirt just to show my support. just my two penny's worth i know i will be in the minority but look at all the new rules making it harder for us to stay here.

Good to see that some posters here can think for themselves, others prefer to sprout! one liners that they have read in the "Yellow shirt" controlled press!

Thaksin was far from perfect, but he was the best Prime minister this country has ever had, and I am sure he will go down in history as such, doesn't say a whole lot about politics here, but that's the way it is! His first term in office, as the only Prime minister (in Thailand) ever to achieve this in history was excellent, after he went a little array, probably observing his fellow politicians world wide too closely!

The red shirts have a legitimate right to expect democracy, sadly the opposition believes, as others have stated here that they, ("red shirts") are not intelligent enough nor deserving of a vote!

Edited by CGW

I live in Baan Amphur. All my Thai work colleagues seem to have their "blinkers" on when it comes to discussing politics. None of them are the slightest bit interested in world history as far as dictators are concerned. The common chant at work is, "This problem must be solved by Thais & only Thais." I always add, "After how many coups?"

My comment doesn't go down well but I'm sure I can smell the burning rubber as their brain kicks into gear.

Thaksin was far from perfect, but he was the best Prime minister this country has ever had, and I am sure he will go down in history as such, doesn't say a whole lot about politics here, but that's the way it is!

Didn't Hitler greatly improve things is Germany prior to becoming a mass murderer?

I think there is a trend that all dictators tend to unknowingly follow. If one is "tuned in" to history, one can easily spot this trend a mile away. Yet another reason why world history needs to be a mandatory lesson in Thai schools.

I intend "going out" this weekend. I'll keep my eyes peeled for all things red.

Edited by elkangorito

I live in Baan Amphur. All my Thai work colleagues seem to have their "blinkers" on when it comes to discussing politics. None of them are the slightest bit interested in world history as far as dictators are concerned. The common chant at work is, "This problem must be solved by Thais & only Thais." I always add, "After how many coups?"

My comment doesn't go down well but I'm sure I can smell the burning rubber as their brain kicks into gear.

Thaksin was far from perfect, but he was the best Prime minister this country has ever had, and I am sure he will go down in history as such, doesn't say a whole lot about politics here, but that's the way it is!

Didn't Hitler greatly improve things is Germany prior to becoming a mass murderer?

I think there is a trend that all dictators tend to unknowingly follow. If one is "tuned in" to history, one can easily spot this trend a mile away. Yet another reason why world history needs to be a mandatory lesson in Thai schools.

I intend "going out" this weekend. I'll keep my eyes peeled for all things red.

Yes I lost family members during the 2nd world war.

Jews lost millions they were gassed in chambers, experimented on!

i.e cut the leg off one guy stick it on another and all without anesthetic.

What is your point exactly?

Edited by monkfish

i went down today and had a walk around and had a chat with some of the stall holders, they have some thing they beleive in, if i remeber rightly he was elected in by the majority, maybe he did some things we perseve as wrong but look what that shower in the UK have stolen recently, US has its share of corrupt polotitions as well. he introduced 30 baht health scheme, one tamboon one product, lent the villages a million each for development, brought the country forward in leaps and bounds, got rid of a lot of the drug scum forcing the prices through the roof. now drugs are cheap and more widly used. but he was elected democraticly, that means more people voted for his party then any other, if he came back he would win again. i did not find them un educated country bumkins,( sure Rimmer told me there was a rule against such statements reguarding Thai people) dictators dont hold elections as in North korea. either way i purchased a shirt just to show my support. just my two penny's worth i know i will be in the minority but look at all the new rules making it harder for us to stay here.

Thaksin is truly a smart man. Dishonest, but who in Thai politics (heck, any countries politics) isn't.

Thailand does not have good elections, as you know. Too much fraud. So to say he was democratically elected might be a stretch.

He lent money to villages so he could make money. It was all about him....if I am not mistaken, he got the interest on these loans....and put the villages in debt to him. In my wife's village, they loved getting the money, but then were stuck with debt they just don't need and can't pay off.

The drug scum were murdered. Only the players at the bottom were killed, none of the "generals" were touched. And drugs are still a problem...so nothing was really gained. And the way it was done was totally illegal. No courts involved, no justice.

In one way, it would be good to see him back. He was a great politician...but he is just so corrupt. Not sure he really helped Thailand. The country, economically, fared better under him, but what country didn't fare better 3 years ago? You could have been a monkey and your country did well back then. Now it's a different story...you need to be really good.

Those are the same idiots who stormed the Royal Cliff Resort ASEAN meeting. Pests.

one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter maybe they just want their democracy back.

Thaksin and democracy? :)

well he got majority of votes 4 times, present prime minister was vever voted in by the people. beats Burmese democracy

Thaksin is truly a smart man. Dishonest, but who in Thai politics (heck, any countries politics) isn't.

Thailand does not have good elections, as you know. Too much fraud. So to say he was democratically elected might be a stretch.

He lent money to villages so he could make money. It was all about him....if I am not mistaken, he got the interest on these loans....and put the villages in debt to him. In my wife's village, they loved getting the money, but then were stuck with debt they just don't need and can't pay off.

The drug scum were murdered. Only the players at the bottom were killed, none of the "generals" were touched. And drugs are still a problem...so nothing was really gained. And the way it was done was totally illegal. No courts involved, no justice.

In one way, it would be good to see him back. He was a great politician...but he is just so corrupt. Not sure he really helped Thailand. The country, economically, fared better under him, but what country didn't fare better 3 years ago? You could have been a monkey and your country did well back then. Now it's a different story...you need to be really good.

sounds a bit like the cause of world crisis now the credit crunch, people borrowing money they cannot pay back and burdening them with debt. (freddy mac fanny may) lending them the money was always going to back fire as well, they normally cannot handle it. anyway the 30 baht health scheme was a god send plus the free electric and water if under 200 baht, i know that was samak but thats why the poor love them. by the way the interest rate was set at 1% per annum payable back to the village fund.

has anybody heard if there was trouble last night i hope not

Edited by NALAK

FRIDAY 26th February, 10.30hrs

This is all that's left of the RED shirts camp set up in Soi Khaotalo, Pattaya.

Looks like it was set up to gather the masses to transport them up to Bangkok for today's verdict which will be announced at 13.30hrs Thai time.

I believe it will take around two hours to read the full verdict.

post-36162-1267161439_thumb.jpg

post-36162-1267161452_thumb.jpg