!!

Academics Expect Red Shirts To Continue Their Fight

webfact

PRO-THAKSIN PROTESTERS

Academics expect red shirts to continue their fight

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Udom Fuangfung, a former member of the Assets Examination Committee, said he accepted the Supreme Court's verdict even though it confiscated only 60 per cent of the assets of Thaksin Shinawatra and his family, rather than all of them as proposed by his panel.

The ruling could not bring peace to the country, as Thaksin had loftier goals than merely getting his money back, he said.

"He does not simply want the money back, but seeks a return to the prime minister's position. Thai people therefore have to be careful and should not be used by their politicians," Udom told reporters after the verdict.

Academic Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, rector of the National Institute of Development Administration, said pro-Thaksin protesters should respect the verdict.

"But I believe they will not stop, as Thaksin has announced he will fight all out against the powers that be. He will manipulate the red-shirt group to create chaos for political change," he said.

Thaksin might want an early election, as he is confident his Pheu Thai Party would win and then find a way to grant an amnesty for him, he added.

"That could happen, and it would make the situation much more difficult as the rival yellow shirts would come out to fight against the pro-Thaksin government again," Sombat said.

Witthayakorn Chiangkul from Rangsit University said he expected Thaksin's supporters to continue their fight, but he hoped the red-shirt movement and the majority of the population would understand the court verdict.

The government should explain to the public that the confiscation of the assets is a legal consequence of abuse of power, he said.

Komsan Phokong from Sukhothaithammathirat University said the political fighting was unlikely to end following the verdict, as Thaksin's supporters remained in large numbers.

Some of the red-shirt movement might accept the verdict, but the majority might not and would intensify their fight, he said.

"Money is a key factor for their struggle, since the leaders of the red-shirt movement rely on financial support from Thaksin," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-02-27

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

"Witthayakorn Chiangkul from Rangsit University said he expected Thaksin's supporters to continue their fight, but he hoped the red-shirt movement and the majority of the population would understand the court verdict."

Thitinan Pongsudhirak, a political analyst at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University, said "Certainly it's a political verdict, it has been all along. And not taking everything (from Thaksin) is a step in the direction towards a way out of this mess" (from another news item on today's TV).

Of course they understand the verdict. They did not need an academic to tell them it was a politial decision and one they fundamentally disagree with. The ordinary Thais I met last night at a local mawrum expressed anger at the verdict. They do not see it as a way out of this mess, they see it as part of the mess. They are very clear on the solution they want and it does not involve the current government.

It's rather unfortunate that the catalyst for change in Thailand had to be a self serving turd like Thaksin. I hope that when the dust has settled rural peoples' grievances and opinions will be given the attention they deserve rather then immaturely labeling millions of people as "stooges".

It's rather unfortunate that the catalyst for change in Thailand had to be a self serving turd like Thaksin. I hope that when the dust has settled rural peoples' grievances and opinions will be given the attention they deserve rather then immaturely labeling millions of people as "stooges".

as in the yellow shirt view of not allowing the rural poor / uneducated to vote as they dont know how?

I agree totaly. One small point that all seem to have missed, the army ousted him before, dose anyone think they'll let him be prime minister again. Not a chance, Just another coup. This time maybe they'll get him.

I agree with this. It would nice if the wants and desires of a wealthy manipulative man werent tangled up in the far more legitimate causes of the poor. However, life isnt simple and all we can hope for is at some point they will go their seperate ways.

I too agree with this, if fact I suspect that it will turn out to be Thaksin's real long-term contribution, to Thai society. :)

if fact I suspect that it will turn out to be Thaksin's real long-term contribution, to Thai society

I'd like to think so Ricardo. As an example if the hunt for "unusually wealthy" stops with Thaksin and lets others off the hook then that would tend to give fuel to the fire about double standards. Hopefully Thaksin's conviction has opened the box.

I suppose in a perverse way Thaksin being immoral and bent is possibly a good thing for a brighter future for Thailand.

as in the yellow shirt view of not allowing the rural poor / uneducated to vote as they dont know how?

which is an old lie.....it is simply not true

Thaksin might want an early election

Thaksin want, Thaksin want ??? <deleted> :)

Hehehe... as if you need to be an academic to know this... uneducated rurals will go far for their master, very far till the very -whatever- end.

A local 'friend' said to me yesterday more or less as a joke 'you also must help get Thaksin back' (Thaksin back <deleted>, dumbo you are) but his tone was not a joke and had something weird, as if he was not the one who said it, but programmed to think and talk like this.

Once I met Thaksin from very nearby less then a meter, and felt his very amazing 'charisma', an 'aura with a 30 meter radius' like a real guru. Rurals are easy target for him and nothing will come inbetween, they own him. They only read pro Thaksin newspapers, listen to pro Thaksin radio have pro Thaksin friends, for such people he is 'stronger then Buddha' and only his very end can break the spell.

The gov really need to keep their mind open if they wanna cope with this !

I am they are finished. I also think all the members who were in this group also will not be able to do well in politics or business in Thailand. They went against the big force and they lot big. I am also pretty sure we have seen the end of their rally

Good ridden :)

Quote: Academic Sombat Thamrongthanyawong, rector of the National Institute of Development Administration, said pro-Thaksin protesters should respect the verdict.

Thaksin might want an early election, as he is confident his Pheu Thai Party would win and then find a way to grant an amnesty for him, he added.

"That could happen, and it would make the situation much more difficult as the rival yellow shirts would come out to fight against the pro-Thaksin government again," Sombat said.

Not only the "yellow shirts" (PAD) would come out fight, most of Bangkok and the South would be seriously provoked if another Thaksin-nominee government were elected.

Agreed............But who do you envisage "might" pay some unselfish heed and act appropriately with regard to the rural peoples grievances and opinions?

I seem to recall that the French (and others) finally only achieved that by means of a Revolution.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that here, but without the legitimate election of a democratic and all-encompassing government

and passions running as deeply as they seem, can that be confidently ruled out? :):D:D

Agreed............But who do you envisage "might" pay some unselfish heed and act appropriately with regard to the rural peoples grievances and opinions?

Aphasit's in the driving seat now. Hopefully he can fill the rather large boots he's wearing that he's coveted for so long.

To me the day I see a senior army general in the dock explaining how he can afford a mega condo in Phuket and Bangkok while being the owner of a beach resort on the Gulf on his salary is the day the black clouds over Thailand will start dispersing.

But unfortunately.....

The red shirts have some very valid points. The yellow shirts do as well. It is FAR too facile to call all red shirts Thaksin stooges, but until the reds divorce themselves from Thaksin it'll happen. It is FAR too facile to describe the yellow shirts as "BKK Elite" but there are certainly BKK elite people in it.

The reds need to organize and hold their leadership accountable. The majority of the yellows which represent the growing urban middle-class that pay much of the taxes in Thailand need to organize and hold their leadership accountable. The fact that confuses so many people about the Yellows and I understand why is that many of the rank and file yellows are simply middle-class folks and thus tend to vote Democrat. That does not make the Democrats "elite".

I hope they can find a balance .....

The red shirt leaders have proven time and time again that this is all about Thaksin. Any "reasonable" members, who are sincere in their wish for clean politics and true democracy would surely be leaving the organisation and forming their own grouping, with four important rules: No current red or yellow leadership allowed, no military, or current politicians of any side, involvement in leadership, no donations accepted from business or politicians, and the expulsion of anyone making threats of violence. I'm sure that such a movement would attract many of the current yellow supporters and non supporters of either side. The group could be used as an apolitical watchdog, exposing corruption and ensuring its punishment, and showing that it has the numbers to protest any abuse of power from the military or government. Elections must be called within a years time, the grouping could spend that time advertising and growing in numbers, monitoring the government, pointing out corruption, agitating for investigation into alleged crimes committed by both sides, in the past and present, and truly educating the electorate. Prior, and during elections, they could expose vote buying, ensure free canvassing in all regions, monitor voting, and accept the new government, who ever it may be. Monitoring would continue with the new government, corruption resulting in mass protest to force resignation and conviction, as would any attempt to overrule any previous court decision on any side. Not an armed militia. Not a flag waving rabble, but a majority of concerned citizens who individually may vote one way or another, but who have a common interest in fair and open government no matter if their man gets in or not. I have a dream. Shame I'll have to wake up to the reality that they're all in it for what they can get.

I also don't like Abhisit but would never go so far as to call him a turd.

As the old saying goes in the UK "takes one to know one"

Edited by monkfish

McCargo in the UK independent says what is needed is peopel talking to each other and comments that the reds can see the 46-30 decison as either the glass half full or half empty

A fair number of analysts do seem somewhat surprised by the amount being seized being smaller than they expected and seem to interpet it as a possible starting point for engagement

I also don't like Abhisit but would never go so far as to call him a turd.

As the old saying goes in the UK "takes one to know one"

Abhisit doesn't like you either lol.

I predicted a while ago they would seize 70% so I was a little out, but I don't know he will get any back because having been found guilty, I expect several government agencies to come forward to claim compensation for loss of earnings.

That will easily swallow up the remainder of his money.

if fact I suspect that it will turn out to be Thaksin's real long-term contribution, to Thai society

I'd like to think so Ricardo. As an example if the hunt for "unusually wealthy" stops with Thaksin and lets others off the hook then that would tend to give fuel to the fire about double standards. Hopefully Thaksin's conviction has opened the box.

I suppose in a perverse way Thaksin being immoral and bent is possibly a good thing for a brighter future for Thailand.

The search should certainly not stop here, I thought it was interesting to see former-PM Sorayud on the losing end of a case, and returning the land when the court ruled on it. The more the merrier ! :)