Meditation

ericg1953

There are many different types of meditation.

I can personally recommend Vipassana, but it requires a 10 day retreat to learn. Actually any deep meditation technique will require that more or less, the only thing you will be able to get from short duration lessons would be basic relaxation techniques. Which can be helpful but not nearly as much.

For Vipassana courses in Thailand see www.dhamma.org (general info on the technique and courses on the main page, for course locations and schedules click on course locations, asia, south asia then Thailand.

The Prachinburi center is very nice and not a bad drive from Pattaya, 3 hours at most

What many people who are not familiar with Buddhism, is that it is not really a religion like in worshipping something or someone. What it is really is a method of practising Dhamma which includes deep meditation. When you see Thai people worship or pray in front of various brahmin or Buddha statues, this has nothing to do with real Buddishm but is a mix of Hindu, folklore, supersticion and ignorance.

In recent years many new and costly mediation centres and schools have been set-up by foreigners (Europeans) here in Asia, focusing on combined physical activity and meditation. But IMHO the best way to learn meditation is to go to a traditional Thai Buddhist temple or Buddhist mediation centre. The teaching is always non secular (nobody will try to convert you to any religion) and almost always completely free. There are always rules to follow at these centres, these rules are there to make it easier to learn the mediation techniques and are there for the benefit of the Student. There are many that admit foreigners.

In Pattaya there is a centre that have a quiet relaxed schedule but they want you to stay at least 6 days I think: www.meditationboonkan.org/MainProfile.htm

Another centre with a stricter schedule is located at Ban Bueng not so far from Pattaya: http://bhaddanta2.blogspot.com

The World Federation of Buddhists head office at Sukhumvit 24 in BKK gives one day instruction in English every first Sunday in the month, or maybe its weekly nowadays, check their web: www.wfb-hq.org

As previous post, I would warmly recommend the Goenka 10 day course, its free including all food and accommodation. I have done it 6 times and the first time I also had problems with hypertension, it went away after the first few days as well as my sleeping problems. Mind! it is not for the weak minded, strong determination is required. discipline is probably the strongest you will find anywhere, except for some monasteries in Nepal I think.

The Prachinburi centre is only open for Thais nowadays I think, check the web site, I can recommend the centre in Pitsanulook, it is newer and more quiet with nicer facilities. it is also colder because located in the hills.

I would say, difference between the Goenka 10 day course and other is; with the Goenka course, if you manage to stay the 10 days, you will really learn how to meditate guaranteed, its like a meditation boot camp, while other centres with lesser discipline, there is a risk that you will not learn or see any positive improvements initially, get disinterested or bored and never come back to meditation, which would be a great pity because meditation can give you so much in life.

Edited by ingvar

There are probably hundreds of Meditation centres all over Thailand That gives courses in English for free, usually around 10 days.

Yes all the places I mentioned in my previous post are taught in English.

As previous post, I would warmly recommend the Goenka 10 day course, its free including all food and accommodation. I have done it 6 times and the first time I also had problems with hypertension, it went away after the first few days as well as my sleeping problems. Mind! it is not for the weak minded, strong determination is required. discipline is probably the strongest you will find anywhere, except for some monasteries in Nepal I think.

The Prachinburi centre is only open for Thais nowadays I think, check the web site, I can recommend the centre in Pitsanulook, it is newer and more quiet with nicer facilities. it is also colder because located in the hills.

I would say, difference between the Goenka 10 day course and other is; with the Goenka course, if you manage to stay the 10 days, you will really learn how to meditate guaranteed, its like a meditation boot camp, while other centres with lesser discipline, there is a risk that you will not learn or see any positive improvements initially, get disinterested or bored and never come back to meditation, which would be a great pity because meditation can give you so much in life.

The Prachinburi center admits both foreigners and Thais except for an occasional course limited to native Thai speakers (maybe 1 or 2 in a year), these are clearly indicated on the course schedule.

But ingvar is quite right about the heat. I live right near that center and while it is quite comfortable during the cool season, it's hot and humid at other times. Haven 't sat at the Pitsanoluk one but hear weather there is cooler and facility quite nice.

What does it feel like when you can properly deeply meditate?

I'd say there are few westerners who can deeply meditate. Their nervous systems are too overstimulated.

A prior step to meditation is concentration. i.e. focus on one point (such as a point of light), one mantra or one object. Japa is very good. Mantra meditation is easier IMHO than most other methods and can be learned in a few minutes. Some people find meditation difficult due to distraction from the body... can't sit still, aches and pains, numb bum... and so on. Hatha Yoga exists to bring relaxation to the body and allow meditators to sit still for up to 3 hours without distraction from the body.

Meditation can be simply inner reflection or contemplation. It's not some way out esoteric thing that only adepts can master. Any form of mental technique or mastery that can settle the mind is useful. TM practitioners claim to achieve noticeable results within 6 weeks. 10 minutes 2x daily.

I've tried Vipassana and struggled and had 2 years with the Brahma Kumaris practicing Raja Yoga. Very good but requiring strict purity in other areas. TM was the easiest. Just make sure you are given the right Mantra for your 'Dosha' (look it up) and particular needs.

What does meditation feel like? I know I am relaxing after 5 minutes when I feel the blood start flowing into my hands. My body starts to relax. Each session can be different and you should not be looking for any particular outcome. Some days you will have a 'good' session. Others you just know your mind or body is not going to settle and should not try and force it. Leave it and do something else.

During mantra meditation you start to observe your thoughts in a way that you have never done before. While the mantra is being mechanically repeated, you are still able to observe your thoughts. You will be amazed at the jumble of useless, sexual, fearful, angry, topsy-turvy thoughts that trip over each other initially. Some thoughts will take you off into your own video, replaying an event or fantasy over in your mind. As you become aware of how your mind is working, you gently bring your attention back to the mantra or breath and let such videos go. As you progress unwanted thoughts settle down and you start to really enjoy these quiet moments where the mind is given an opportunity to be quiet.

I was attracted myself to TM by an article called 'Ice Cream for the Mind'. Since then I've tried different techniques. Just be aware that you can end up on the spiritual 'circuit' where you hop, like a grasshopper, from one technique to another. From one guru to another. From one country to another. Find something you like and give it time to work. Otherwise you are someone drilling lots of wells looking for oil and never striking lucky because you don't drill deep enough.

Others will have different ideas/experiences but in the main I think meditation is hugely beneficial for many reasons. Not least coming to know yourself.

Hope that helps.

Edited by fullwhenempty

As mentioned there are many different types of meditation. Their objectives differ as well their methods. Some aim just for relaxation/stress relief, some for cultivation of "special" powers, some for a complete personal transformation/purification of mind.

For the latter type, which is the only one I have experience of -- but I would suspect true of the other types as well -- there are an almost infinite number of different types of things one might experience while meditating, the experiences from moment to moment and person to person will never be the same, and most importantly, what you experience while meditating is not of any importance and not the reason for doing it.

You don't meditate for the sake of what you experience during meditation. You meditate for the results it gives.

Similiar to doing physical exercise not for what you experience while exercising but for how it tones and improves your body and physical health.

You don't meditate for the sake of what you experience during meditation. You meditate for the results it gives.

Yes, I think this is very important. Like most westerners I took up meditation for the results it was purported to provide. However, teachers will tell you that sitting down and expecting a result is not a good idea. By doing this you set yourself up for disappointment, from whence springs resistance in the mind. e.g. 'I SHOULD be feeling calmer, better, stronger, etc.. ' Then when you don't the next thought is 'This technique is no good' or whatever you tell yourself.

Due to the modern grasshopper mind we don't do patience very well. Yet that is what is required. When you set expectations and they aren't met, tension develops in the mind and you are likely to give up in frustration.

Best to sit down peacefully with no expectations.

Another benefit of meditation is you start to observe the amount of 'rubbish' that we accumulate in the mind. Rubbish in. Rubbish out and you then have a choice to 'clean house'. The realization of the amount of useless, fearful thoughts we allow into our minds should encourage you to throw out the TV, stop reading newspapers, steer clear of energy-robbing friends and the gossip merchants and stop arguing on message boards. I don't watch horror movies or the Pentagon productions. Why would anyone want these images in their minds? How can you find peace if you are constantly being fed anxiety, fear and carnage?

Sit down and meditate for 10 minutes then switch on the News. Seems rather self-defeating.

Edited by fullwhenempty

Fullwhenempty and Sheryl gives very good descriptions, I would just like to add one thing that my teacher says about Vipassana meditation:

One goes through life gathering anger, frustration, sadness, hapiness, disappointment, craving etc.. etc.., like a towel that is constantly wound and wound and wound, at some point it cant wind anymore and you break down.

when you sit down for meditation, you stop doing anything, your mind is empty. You are not exposed to all the beforementioned. It is then that the towel start to unwind automatically and you observe all the old filth come to the surface of the mind (and body) and dissapear.