New Otop Market Starts Tonight

dave2

Thanks for posting information and photos about that.

Without intending to, I found myself in the midst of it earlier this evening, wondering, "What is this, all of a sudden?"

(I didn't notice the sign.)

OTOP products are almost always the best quality for each type of item they offer, so I'm happy to see them promoted.

But does Chiangmai really need another "walking street" market?

Another way to snarl traffic?

Another congregation of forlorn tourists wandering around, looking lost, buying nothing except a cold drink?

I think not.

And I'll wager that the costs of that promotion don't justify the returns.

For those wanting OTOP products, the "Northern Village" area in Robinson's Airport Plaza has a vast display, every day, all year long.

Plus, it is indoors and air conditioned.

And offers plenty of convenient parking.

Much more comfortable there, than a crowded Thapae Road on a Saturday night.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

Totally agree that the Sunday Walking Street does not need any new market areas. The success of the walking street in attracting people might be to its detriment. Trying to navigate your way through the crowds makes it quite difficult to see much of what is for sale, makes it hard to stop and examine anything . Believe that inhibits a lot of buying. The story about the "restaurant closed as nobody went there anymore because it was too crowded", might eventually apply to the walking street concept.

The Northern Village in Airport Mall is a great showcase for products and would be a good recommendation for visitors who don't have the time to explore on their own. However the prices there are well beyond what an local should be paying. Doubt the producer is getting any of that mark-up. A small bit goes to pay for the comfort of the mall and rest goes into the deep pockets of the Thai middleman.

Edited by L&J

I thought it was going to be a little different with zones selling products from the Tambons. Turned out that it was just another night market selling the same things. Something like a Samoeng banana chips store would definitely be a more refreshing change.

The Sunday night market needs to remove the center column of performers and vendors. As much as the singing boys are interesting, they have to move. It's impossible to stop and look at things.

Doubt the producer is getting any of that mark-up. A small bit goes to pay for the comfort of the mall and rest goes into the deep pockets of the Thai middleman.

L&J -

Would be interesting to know what are the actual markups for the middleman?

Can you give approximate percentages that you have observed?

Do you think there any way for producers and vendors to increase their bits?

Or is the middleman too firmly entrenched in the middle?

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I doubt there is anything in the Northern Village that could be purchased at a realistic wholesalers rate, ie those wanting to purchase for resale.

On the whole the prices on the Sunday market are very good.

However one market is probably enough, although the one at Wualai seems to have done fairly well too.

The Tesabahn are going to have to make a balance viz. viability of shop owners & main Night Bazaar vs traffic congesting mega markets. lets hope they have some common sense.

lets hope they have some common sense.

....While agreeing with you Cmsally, I would hasten to point out that they will , I am sure , make a decision based on common CENTS.... Somebody pays enough CENTS [read baht] the market or whatever will stay ..... and the traffic and/or congestion be damned TIT

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Doubt the producer is getting any of that mark-up. A small bit goes to pay for the comfort of the mall and rest goes into the deep pockets of the Thai middleman.

L&J -

Would be interesting to know what are the actual markups for the middleman?

Can you give approximate percentages that you have observed?

Do you think there any way for producers and vendors to increase their bits?

Or is the middleman too firmly entrenched in the middle?

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

There was a 4 poster type bed there that was exactly double what we paid for an identical one in Ban Tawai.

So that's 100% markup

David