U.s. State Dept. Planning To Jack Up Passport Fees Mid-march

I for one appreciate the heads up.

Maybe Yan tree should check out the thread titled: On Tv..be Careful, Words Have Power

I don't appreciate the heads up because the difference between $100 and $135 once every ten years is completely irrelevant to me - but I don't mind the fact that he posted it. But he's clearly bitching about it - 'jacked up the price' and his little angry emoticon.

'State Department Raises Passport Price 35%' and a link to the article, sure. Getting worked up over something like this is pretty dumb - though after reading that article I guess he's not the only one. Some congressman called this 'mind boggling' LOL - what is mind boggling is how a congressman could see this as mind boggling.

It is completely irrelevant and such a rare event for any citizen. I guess the family of four argument holds a little weight but I doubt that happens very often - the parents most likely would have had passports by the time they were going to leave the country with their kids - and if they didn't they wouldn't be able to afford doing so in the first place.

I have added three sets of additional pages to my current passport. At these proposed prices, that's an additional $246 for something that costs zero today.

It shouldn't cost $0. It takes time and labor for them to do that. $82 is a bit much, but whatever. If you can afford to travel that much, you should be able to afford that fee, no problem. imo...

$82 dollars for added pages? They better give an entire book of them for that amount, fortunately I have just had some added and I'm set now for probably the duration of my passport. But that is screwed and it makes me angry since I have no control over other countries using an entire single page for their visa like China does for example in and out is at least 2 pages used.. Nor do they have any concern over where they put it and skip pages that never get used as they are out of sequence..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Honestly the United States is in that much trouble financially they would be looking to make money any way possible. At the rate their spending cash, obama will have to take a night job as a doorman or something.

People here should just be surprised that the prices wernt doubled.

Did anyone notice in the Federal Register where notorial services will go up to $50? We retirees will get hit by this. Another way for Obama to increase fees because he is definitely going to raise taxes. The $82 for extra pages is another ripoff from our wonderful friends in Congress like Barney Frank of the Fannie Mae/Fannie Mac fame.

DOS_2010_0035_0001.pdf

QUOTE: The Department of State is adjusting the fees in light of an independent cost of service study’s (‘‘CoSS’’) findings that the U.S. Government is not fully covering its costs for providing these services under the current fee structure.

... but of course never pass up an opportunity to take a pot-shot at Barney Frank.

Thanks MUCHLY, you just saved me $82! I owe you a Singha one day if you get out to Future Park Rangsit.

Mac

Following from the Federal Register:

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/hom...900006480a8ffe8

Additional Passport Visa Pages

In the past, the Department provided extra pages in a customer's

passport, to which foreign countries' visas may then be affixed, at no

charge. The CoSS found that the cost of the pages themselves, of having

the pages placed in the book in a secure manner by trained personnel,

and of completing the required security checks results in a cost to the

U.S. Government of $82.48 based on a projected FY10 workload of

218,000. Therefore, the Department will charge $82 for this service.

Providing Documentary Services

The CoSS found the cost to the U.S. Government of providing

documentary services overseas is $76.36 per service based on a

projected FY 2010 workload of 380,000 services. These are primarily

notarial services, certification of true copies, provision of

documents, and authentications. However, the Department is raising

these fees only from $30 to $50, lower than cost, in order to minimize

the impact on the public.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I for one appreciate the heads up.

Maybe Yan tree should check out the thread titled: On Tv..be Careful, Words Have Power

I don't appreciate the heads up because the difference between $100 and $135 once every ten years is completely irrelevant to me - but I don't mind the fact that he posted it. But he's clearly bitching about it - 'jacked up the price' and his little angry emoticon.

'State Department Raises Passport Price 35%' and a link to the article, sure. Getting worked up over something like this is pretty dumb - though after reading that article I guess he's not the only one. Some congressman called this 'mind boggling' LOL - what is mind boggling is how a congressman could see this as mind boggling.

It is completely irrelevant and such a rare event for any citizen. I guess the family of four argument holds a little weight but I doubt that happens very often - the parents most likely would have had passports by the time they were going to leave the country with their kids - and if they didn't they wouldn't be able to afford doing so in the first place.

Fine, everyone wil repsect you view. I think that if you look at the changes as a rational businessman then you might have quite a different view. To be sure the $35 won't bankrupt anyone. That is not the question. The question is what amount has the government's cost risen and is the government being frugal with our tax dollars. More people would require a lot of examination to readily accept a one-shot 35% increase.

We should all question how our government spends our money and taxes us. Many people look at the amount of money the US govenment spent in 2009 and question whether the government understands how to handle money. Some noteable examples are last year a proposal to replace the presidential helicopters with new ones that cost more that the presidental 747. Another example is the US State Department to build a new London embassy at a cost of over $1 Billion. The helicopters wer cancelled after much outrage by US citizenry. I hope the London embassy will also be killed. It is foolish to accept and increased costs, regardless of how small, that can be saved by the government using outax dollars wisely. The government is not supposed to be a profit center. It is supposed to provide services for its citizens.

Regards,

does anyone know, if a good standing american citizen

can issue an i.o.u. completed with a properly certified copy

in thai.... in exchange for the 20 usd addional notarial services.... LOL

and is there a special window, number 4 maybe, opened up for this particular transaction which

i am certain will be very popular.... LOL

I have added three sets of additional pages to my current passport. At these proposed prices, that's an additional $246 for something that costs zero today.

It shouldn't cost $0. It takes time and labor for them to do that. $82 is a bit much, but whatever. If you can afford to travel that much, you should be able to afford that fee, no problem. imo...

I am a U.S. citizen. I live in Thailand. I still pay taxes to the United States government. I have paid a small fortune in the past. Many, if no most U.S. citizens do not support expensive.government adverntures sure as those in Iraq and Afghanistan, but as citizens, we must pay for them. You say extra passport pages should not cost $0, and I ask, "Why the hel_l not?" Passports, entrance to national parks and museums, highways, court systems, prisons, schools, etc. should be benefits of citizenship paid for by taxes. It was that way once. Then along come people like YanTree that apparently think everything in government should be self supporting outside the tax structure, so the tax money can be used for what? I'm waiting for an answer.

As for me, I'm not angry about the increase, but I am saddened by this trend.

QUOTE: The Department of State is adjusting the fees in light of an independent cost of service study’s (‘‘CoSS’’) findings that the U.S. Government is not fully covering its costs for providing these services under the current fee structure.

... but of course never pass up an opportunity to take a pot-shot at Barney Frank.

You're telling me that the cost of processing a passport has gone up by 35%. If that is true then the problem is the process needs to be overhauled and bring this costs down. Re-negotiate contracts with vendors and reduce employees. I recall at one time the passport backlog was over 6 months when they created the new Passport Card. Was that really necessary. I now carry both a Passport and a Passport Card.

From time to time companies have to reduce costs and personnel when costs creep out of line. The government must do this to reduce the waste in government.

I actually don't believe the cost has gone up by 35%. I suspect the additional money will go into the general fund for the US Department of State and then disbursed into many other new or unnecessary projects. The government has a insatiable desire to spend money.

You're telling me that the cost of processing a passport has gone up by 35% If you read the FedReg apparently Yes since the last audit in part because of all the additional security clearances and checks involved... But I guess if McCain had won they would have kept all these fees the same.

$100 sounded high, then the article mentions this would be the 3rd increase in 5 years. It had been $60 in 2002. So the charge for additional pages is higher than a passport was 8 years ago.

The real farce is this: The Department of State and Other International Programs spending was $33 billion in 2008. In 2009 it was $49 billion, and the estimate for 2010 is $55 billion. So recouping $18 million for adding passport pages shouldn't be necessary. As you would ask in other situations, what did they do with the other money we gave them?

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy09/browse.html

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/usbudget/fy11/index.html

Many, if no most U.S. citizens do not support expensive.government adverntures sure as those in Iraq and Afghanistan...Passports, entrance to national parks and museums, highways, court systems, prisons, schools, etc. should be benefits of citizenship paid for by taxes. It was that way once.

The question in foreign policy (such as the "adventures" in Iraq and Afghanistan) should never be about how expensive it is. It should be about right and wrong.

My family began visiting national parks at least as early as 1959. In general, they were never free, although some national park places are today. The government museums and art galleries in Washington are all free. 95%+ of the highways in America are free. I know someone who went to prison once...they didn't charge him a penny for the privilege. :)

You're telling me that the cost of processing a passport has gone up by 35%. ... Re-negotiate contracts with vendors and reduce employees. I recall at one time the passport backlog was over 6 months when they created the new Passport Card. ...

When was the last price increase? How much has the price gone up on a per year basis?

So you're complaining about a passport backlog, and you think it will help to reduce personnel?

You're telling me that the cost of processing a passport has gone up by 35%. ... Re-negotiate contracts with vendors and reduce employees. I recall at one time the passport backlog was over 6 months when they created the new Passport Card. ...

When was the last price increase? How much has the price gone up on a per year basis?

So you're complaining about a passport backlog, and you think it will help to reduce personnel?

I guess I should start underlining pertinent facts.

1. How much new cost is caused by the new Passport Card?

2. There wasn't a complaint. The vast majority of the new backlog was caused by the new Passport Card.

3. It is a fact that all business and even worse governments bloat and have to be trimmed periodically.

4. Governments have an insatiable appetite for spending every penny they can collect from their citizens.

I hope that helps.

Honestly the United States is in that much trouble financially they would be looking to make money any way possible. At the rate their spending cash, obama will have to take a night job as a doorman or something.

People here should just be surprised that the prices wernt doubled.

RACIST. Those days are over pilgrim. And it's President Obama with a capital O.

I am sure that, next time you go to the Consulate on Wireless and tell the cashier that you would like to deduct from your fees a percentage commensurate with what you feel is the percentage of profligate ventures in the US State Department budget, they will be entirely sympathetic.

Are you guys for real.....135 dollars is equivalent to 88 pounds sterling....what a bargain!!!!!

I just renewed my British Passport in Bangkok last week and it cost me 150 pounds (double what it costs in UK) now thats a scam!!

lol

HL :)

I guess I should start underlining pertinent facts.

1. How much new cost is caused by the new Passport Card?

2. There wasn't a complaint. The vast majority of the new backlog was caused by the new Passport Card.

3. It is a fact that all business and even worse governments bloat and have to be trimmed periodically.

4. Governments have an insatiable appetite for spending every penny they can collect from their citizens.

I hope that helps.

No, it really doesn't help because:

1. Your four items above are not facts. They're generalizations and/or opinions.

2. Not only are they generalizations/opinions, but they're very cliched.