Bangkok Airways.

hmm i booked a onw way ticket on feb 26th for travel in may and it came to 2200 + 300 tax + 755 surcharge total 3255 one way to bangkok. However when you looked at the old website it only showed the flight pre tax so you saw 2200. I've just looked at the same flight this morning and lo and behold it is 2200 +300 +755 total 3255. The flight prices shown include all taxes which I think is better. So calm down people no change in prices at all.

Try pricing out a one-way SIN-USM ticket. The cheapest ones are coming up S$367 now (including all fees and taxes). I'm holding a SIN-USM ticket that I purchased 3 weeks ago and the price as S$242 (also including all fees and taxes). That's a big increase. What they seem to ahve done is discontinue the "Web Saver" class of fare on that route, now you have to buy the "web Flexi" tickets at 50% more.

Edited by OriginalPoster

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the whole island was overbooked for years and PG charged even more than today, considering that the airport tax, 500 Baht, was not included and at the year of the petrol crisis every passenger had not only to pay additional that airport tax but also another special tax, appr. 1200 Baht. Still Samui was very good booked. Moreover all package tourists have a much cheaper rate already included in their tour package.

Not saying, that the tickets are now cheap or expensive. Just saying that most tourists are not depending or interested in the ticket prices on site.

Of course the flights are mostly booked, it's because BKK Air has and BKK Air alone get to decide how many flights fly the route each day. Since since supply is artifically controlled, prices go up. It's not rocket science.

No, I meant despite the high prices of PG Samui (= all hotels) was good booked for years. So the impact of that is not a major one to tourism, especially to international inbound package tourism. As you can observe now. Many resorts are fully booked.

Before the whole island was overbooked for years and PG charged even more than today, considering that the airport tax, 500 Baht, was not included and at the year of the petrol crisis every passenger had not only to pay additional that airport tax but also another special tax, appr. 1200 Baht. Still Samui was very good booked. Moreover all package tourists have a much cheaper rate already included in their tour package.

Not saying, that the tickets are now cheap or expensive. Just saying that most tourists are not depending or interested in the ticket prices on site.

Of course the flights are mostly booked, it's because BKK Air has and BKK Air alone get to decide how many flights fly the route each day. Since since supply is artifically controlled, prices go up. It's not rocket science.

No, I meant despite the high prices of PG Samui (= all hotels) was good booked for years. So the impact of that is not a major one to tourism, especially to international inbound package tourism. As you can observe now. Many resorts are fully booked.

How would one know if it was affecting tourism? That's like an experiment without a control - you know the tourism levels with high airfares but you don't know what they would be with low fares. Sure, during high season a lot of places are full but Samui was never fully booked year round. By the same thought process that leads to the conclusion that tourism levels are insensitive to airline prices, one could conclude that no negative factors about Samui affect the levels of tourism, as sometimes the place is quite full despite those factors.

Edited by OriginalPoster

hmm i booked a onw way ticket on feb 26th for travel in may and it came to 2200 + 300 tax + 755 surcharge total 3255 one way to bangkok. However when you looked at the old website it only showed the flight pre tax so you saw 2200. I've just looked at the same flight this morning and lo and behold it is 2200 +300 +755 total 3255. The flight prices shown include all taxes which I think is better. So calm down people no change in prices at all.

Try pricing out a one-way SIN-USM ticket. The cheapest ones are coming up S$367 now (including all fees and taxes). I'm holding a SIN-USM ticket that I purchased 3 weeks ago and the price as S$242 (also including all fees and taxes). That's a big increase. What they seem to ahve done is discontinue the "Web Saver" class of fare on that route, now you have to buy the "web Flexi" tickets at 50% more.

My chiang mai to samui ticket is exactly the same price too. Looks like singapore has drawn the short straw for flight increases or cheap fare removals.

My chiang mai to samui ticket is exactly the same price too. Looks like singapore has drawn the short straw for flight increases or cheap fare removals.

don't know what u lot are worried about i am off for a spit roast. as or bangkok airways. it is now easy dession. fly from narkornsea thammorat or suratthani. before i would be the extra to fly from samui. now. the difference is so much that i know where to go. this sorte of price fixing should e illegal. manopoly are illegal. the gov. should step in and oput a cap on these borderline crooked businesses.

don't know what u lot are worried about i am off for a spit roast. as or bangkok airways. it is now easy dession. fly from narkornsea thammorat or suratthani. before i would be the extra to fly from samui. now. the difference is so much that i know where to go. this sorte of price fixing should e illegal. manopoly are illegal. the gov. should step in and oput a cap on these borderline crooked businesses.

therapy, cooncellin, call it what ye want, jist git some ya weirdo,

soonds tae me like too many 10 quid bags ay broon,

sectioned, is whit gadgies like you are needin fir a stretch cat boy :)

Pattaya BKK 120 baht air con bus. BKK Airways are i would say 30% of the reason i left Samui, its about time the locals sorted them out, other wise, well i was going to say they will kill the islands tourism but that may be a case of closing the gate aftr the horse has bolted. i HATE them with a passion. That flight was used alot by Thais who do not have a lot of money, they have now deprived them of that service, from affordability reasons.

Funny how the mention of Bangkok Airways brings out the vitriol from the same old posters!

I think that BKK Air are great...reliable,comfortable and plenty of services. Not everyone wants to travel in misery. I really don't want to

drive to Nathon, spend a couple of hours on the ferry, and then drive to Surat in the hope that the aircraft is on time.

Many people here wish to be able to get to BKK and carry out a days work and be back late afternoon. You can't do that using Surat.

Anyway, we go round this subject every few months ad nauseum. If you can arrange your life you can get reasonable deals. I have a return

BKK-Samui for 4200 plus taxes 5900. The air miles are also a good bonus as is the residents discount card. (just coming up for renewal)

We Love Bangkok Airways (that should raise a pulse or two)!! :D:D

Quite right, i too wish to travel in comfort. However, i'd prefer not to pay over double what i should be. i believe its refered to as a fair deal for both parties Well done on you good deal btw.

No i a not going to start flaming you. I just don't understand why you promote them the way you do, knowing that they are ripping eveyone off and putting tourists off comng here. I can tell from your posts you are far from stupid. So what the agenda. You must be selling something here and are talking everything up. Most of you posts are very logical,except when this subject crops up.

Answer me one question. How is Bangkok Airways be good value when others will do the same flight for 1600 baht? Secondly, will you accept this situation is doing no good for the island whatsoever?

I have no vested interest at all. I'm just attempting to bring some reality into the complaints that the fares are too high.

In my opinion if you book early enough they are reasonable. Of course I would like to see them cheaper but having spent years

flying around Europe the prices are on a par.

If I was the owner of Bangkok Airways and owned the airfield and made the investment and taken all the risks, I would not be

inclined to alter the price structure providing my load factors were working out favourably. The airline is not a charity.

I don't accept that the pricing structure is causing an unfavourable situation for Samui there is a choice if you don't like it. In fact, the opposite. (Did you ever see the hordes of the great unwashed arriving on Phuket Airways from London to Phuket??..a nightmare and of course a different argument). All the latest promotion for Samui is that of exclusivity. This will not be achieved from 10 Baht packers. If BKK Air have got it wrong then the prices will come down, but I doubt it! :)

Pattaya BKK 120 baht air con bus. BKK Airways are i would say 30% of the reason i left Samui, its about time the locals sorted them out, other wise, well i was going to say they will kill the islands tourism but that may be a case of closing the gate aftr the horse has bolted. i HATE them with a passion. That flight was used alot by Thais who do not have a lot of money, they have now deprived them of that service, from affordability reasons.

Funny how the mention of Bangkok Airways brings out the vitriol from the same old posters!

I think that BKK Air are great...reliable,comfortable and plenty of services. Not everyone wants to travel in misery. I really don't want to

drive to Nathon, spend a couple of hours on the ferry, and then drive to Surat in the hope that the aircraft is on time.

Many people here wish to be able to get to BKK and carry out a days work and be back late afternoon. You can't do that using Surat.

Anyway, we go round this subject every few months ad nauseum. If you can arrange your life you can get reasonable deals. I have a return

BKK-Samui for 4200 plus taxes 5900. The air miles are also a good bonus as is the residents discount card. (just coming up for renewal)

We Love Bangkok Airways (that should raise a pulse or two)!! :D:D

Quite right, i too wish to travel in comfort. However, i'd prefer not to pay over double what i should be. i believe its refered to as a fair deal for both parties Well done on you good deal btw.

No i a not going to start flaming you. I just don't understand why you promote them the way you do, knowing that they are ripping eveyone off and putting tourists off comng here. I can tell from your posts you are far from stupid. So what the agenda. You must be selling something here and are talking everything up. Most of you posts are very logical,except when this subject crops up.

Answer me one question. How is Bangkok Airways be good value when others will do the same flight for 1600 baht? Secondly, will you accept this situation is doing no good for the island whatsoever?

I have no vested interest at all. I'm just attempting to bring some reality into the complaints that the fares are too high.

In my opinion if you book early enough they are reasonable. Of course I would like to see them cheaper but having spent years

flying around Europe the prices are on a par.

If I was the owner of Bangkok Airways and owned the airfield and made the investment and taken all the risks, I would not be

inclined to alter the price structure providing my load factors were working out favourably. The airline is not a charity.

I don't accept that the pricing structure is causing an unfavourable situation for Samui there is a choice if you don't like it. In fact, the opposite. (Did you ever see the hordes of the great unwashed arriving on Phuket Airways from London to Phuket??..a nightmare and of course a different argument). All the latest promotion for Samui is that of exclusivity. This will not be achieved from 10 Baht packers. If BKK Air have got it wrong then the prices will come down, but I doubt it! :)

Great. So BKK Air are keeping their prices high to keep the riff raff / great unwashed off Samui so we can all sleep soundly in our beds!!!! :D

Charging exhorbitant prices cos they buit the airport is also dubious. If they'd built it and no one had flown here, the land is worth a fortune and ripe for development. It's pure greed protected by a monopoly! :D

Edited by screamingeagle
  • Like 1

Bkk airways is helping Samui, they keep a lot of flights even when not peak season.

What is really hurting Samui is the lack of international non-stop flight.

I can get a plane in all country in Europe and land in Pucket, for Samui it will means at minimum 4 hours more after a 11 hours flight. The direct connection value for me is more than a free flight with wifi and snacks, so until we will have A380 :D landing on the island 1000 or 2000 baht more or less is irrilevant.

No matter how you try to sugarcoat it, the only reason that BKK Air can charge what they do is because of lack of competition.

And why do you think their is lack of competition? Someone forget to compete? Why does Air Asia or X-Budget-Carrierr who can tap a lot more finance than BKK Air not build an airport (forget the rumours) or buy into USM in a big way (beyong access fees)? Risk! And for risk you need reward = profit.

The fact that everyone complains yet still surrenders to it when other options exists illustrates to me that BKK air have got a brilliant business model at least in regard to USM.

Edited by mattcodes

No matter how you try to sugarcoat it, the only reason that BKK Air can charge what they do is because of lack of competition.

And why do you think their is lack of competition? Someone forget to compete? Why does Air Asia or X-Budget-Carrierr who can tap a lot more finance than BKK Air not build an airport (forget the rumours) or buy into USM in a big way (beyong access fees)? Risk! And for risk you need reward = profit.

The fact that everyone complains yet still surrenders to it when other options exists illustrates to me that BKK air have got a brilliant business model at least in regard to USM.

They are not surrendering to it though. You are totally missing the point. They are begrudgingly going via the cheaper route (Surat) and probably won't bother to come back again when it is clear that they (families) can save a small fortune by going to Phuket Krabi and Pattaya. And i believe Gatorade wants families here too as opposed to riff raff. Well guess what, they are doing the math and they are going elsewhere.

BKK Air...carry on the very good service. Just stop taking the mickey :)

Bkk airways is helping Samui, they keep a lot of flights even when not peak season.

What is really hurting Samui is the lack of international non-stop flight.

I can get a plane in all country in Europe and land in Pucket, for Samui it will means at minimum 4 hours more after a 11 hours flight. The direct connection value for me is more than a free flight with wifi and snacks, so until we will have A380 :D landing on the island 1000 or 2000 baht more or less is irrilevant.

What would really hurt Samui and make it even more filthy are international flights!

Edited by Obiwan

just what tourists need. the pound and the eruo goes down. bangkok airways prices go up. something does not make sense. anyway they cannot keep all the riff raff out cause iam here and i cannot afford to leave cause to exepensive !

headline samui express " Mayor says Samui needsnew airport " som nom nar bangkok airways you greedy lot. now u lose ! just hope the mayor goes through with it.

its a real problem. some university students who go to bangkok to study have to use this air line allot. must be a nightmare. student lones then bbk airways prices. after they build the new gov air port i suggest bbk airways airport closes and walks off into the winde.

• Like 1

headline samui express " Mayor says Samui needsnew airport " som nom nar bangkok airways you greedy lot. now u lose ! just hope the mayor goes through with it.

its a real problem. some university students who go to bangkok to study have to use this air line allot. must be a nightmare. student lones then bbk airways prices. after they build the new gov air port i suggest bbk airways airport closes and walks off into the winde.

Students? Flying? When I was a student, I used to hitch hike everywhere or get the cheapest transport possible. Like a bus...... Poor Thai students having to fly... :D The only flying I did was when I rolled a doobie! :)

Students? Flying? When I was a student, I used to hitch hike everywhere or get the cheapest transport possible. Like a bus...... Poor Thai students having to fly... :D The only flying I did was when I rolled a doobie! :)

understood. u might have noticed from my spelling that i was never a student. anyway all that aside hope the major pushes this new airport

• Like 1

understood. u might have noticed from my spelling that i was never a student. anyway all that aside hope the major pushes this new airport

We really need another airport like a sick migraine.Although, there is a bit of flat land down near the prison and the people living in the South of the island will probably be overjoyed.

So what type of airport? Domestic Shorthaul? International Longhaul?

Either way it will consume an incredible amount of space and the local terrain will preclude operations in poor visibility.

The destruction and damage to the environment will be immense and irrepairable.

Two airports on an island the size of the Isle of Wight just isn't logical even if does enable a whole load of cheapskates to fly at a

price they consider within their means (1500 Baht or less).

This subject was done to death last year, and the year before etc etc.

The Mayor has done a lot of good things for the island but I think that a new airport is not a vote winner. Not that he needs to worry as it will never happen(certainly not in the lifetime of any of the posters here!). :D :D

We really need another airport like a sick migraine.Although, there is a bit of flat land down near the prison and the people living in the South of the island will probably be overjoyed.

So what type of airport? Domestic Shorthaul? International Longhaul?

Either way it will consume an incredible amount of space and the local terrain will preclude operations in poor visibility.

The destruction and damage to the environment will be immense and irrepairable.

Two airports on an island the size of the Isle of Wight just isn't logical even if does enable a whole load of cheapskates to fly at a

price they consider within their means (1500 Baht or less).

This subject was done to death last year, and the year before etc etc.

The Mayor has done a lot of good things for the island but I think that a new airport is not a vote winner. Not that he needs to worry as it will never happen(certainly not in the lifetime of any of the posters here!). :D :D

boring. we need a new airport becuase there is high demand. BBK airways are ripping people off so we need it. Up for the mayor. they want t do budget fairs to bangkok which is perfectly expetable. plus a new airport will create more jobs and ore toursime. this is a business island so people should get quality for there money. if that makes me a cheap scape then i don't care. rarther be a cheap scape than a skint scape!

• Like 1

That will not be just down to the major. Someboday will have to make that initial investment and possibly take a risk, just like BBK Airways did.

Am not happy with a price increase but I don't see this second airport happening in the near future.

all this talk of the whingers on this thread being cheapskates/cheap charlies etc etc.....??? not cheapskates - just want value for money.

o/w phuket 1000THB+............o/w samui 3000THB+. similar distance. it's <deleted>. :)

it's been mentioned that bangkok airways hike the price up to recuperate the initial investment in the airport. fair enough - a couple of hundred THB per fare is fine......a couple of thousand THB per fare is a joke.

tbh, I preferred the old style airport with the rickety baggage belt - all these fancy open-air lounges and boutiques are pointless. that's where our extortionate fares are going.

all this talk of the whingers on this thread being cheapskates/cheap charlies etc etc.....??? not cheapskates - just want value for money.

o/w phuket 1000THB+............o/w samui 3000THB+. similar distance. it's <deleted>. :D

it's been mentioned that bangkok airways hike the price up to recuperate the initial investment in the airport. fair enough - a couple of hundred THB per fare is fine......a couple of thousand THB per fare is a joke.

tbh, I preferred the old style airport with the rickety baggage belt - all these fancy open-air lounges and boutiques are pointless. that's where our extortionate fares are going.

I preferred the old terminal as well. What I don't understand are the price comparisons. Phuket is a Government Aerodrome, so is Surat, as such the

landing fees etc are minimal and all the operational/running costs are subsidised by the Thai Taxpayer.

Why don't Nok air etc fly into Samui? Other airlines do, Firefly, Beriyhja, TG. I dunno but I guess Noks profit margins are not high enough after they have parted with the fees.

At the end of the day it is a matter of choice. It's just like choosing the class you want to fly in. If you don't like it, vote with your wallet!

Plenty of other options besides whining. Anyway, I don't like the service the "El cheapo" operators provide. :)

Why don't Nok air etc fly into Samui? Other airlines do, Firefly, Beriyhja, TG.

I suspect it is either the landing fees being too high for their profit margins, or more likely Bangkok Air telling them they can't land. :D It is their airport after all, and they don't want any upstart little operation running a loss for a few years in order to take away their long term buisiness. :)

Not sure if there is a Monopoly Commission or similar here, but allowing TG and Firefly to use the airport is B. Airs' way of saying they have opened the market. :D

Why don't Nok air etc fly into Samui? Other airlines do, Firefly, Beriyhja, TG.

I suspect it is either the landing fees being too high for their profit margins, or more likely Bangkok Air telling them they can't land. :D It is their airport after all, and they don't want any upstart little operation running a loss for a few years in order to take away their long term buisiness. :)

Not sure if there is a Monopoly Commission or similar here, but allowing TG and Firefly to use the airport is B. Airs' way of saying they have opened the market. :D

You could be right, but it's all guesswork. :D

A monopolies commission? :) I bet there's only one, which is a monoply!!!! I haven't been to Samui airport since they "upgraded" it so I probably wouldn't recognise the place and get completely lost and have to ask a nice young lady with a uniform, where to go.... :D

:D I really cannot understand this bitching, the guy was an entrepreneur, took a BIG chance to raise the finance, build an airport, lease the planes, train the staff and now the project is successful, in come the jealous whingers. Why didn't YOU take the chance, haven't YOU ever taken a chance in your small life ? Time to think who you would prefer to survive on a deserted island with, certainly none of these guys typing sob stories from their couches !

A monopolies commission? :) I bet there's only one, which is a monoply!!!! I haven't been to Samui airport since they "upgraded" it so I probably wouldn't recognise the place and get completely lost and have to ask a nice young lady with a uniform, where to go.... :D

:D I really cannot understand this bitching, the guy was an entrepreneur, took a BIG chance to raise the finance, build an airport, lease the planes, train the staff and now the project is successful, in come the jealous whingers. Why didn't YOU take the chance, haven't YOU ever taken a chance in your small life ? Time to think who you would prefer to survive on a deserted island with, certainly none of these guys typing sob stories from their couches !

Who's bitching and whinging??? :D What guy was an entrepreneur? Where did the lolly come from??? I'm sure you can't say where the dosh came from and how it was made before it arrived in Samui.... Give me 150 billion Baht (from dubious sources, maybe) and I'll make a successful business. It's not difficult. For goodness sake. Thailand is a prime example of the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer. Now they have the monopoly, they're milking it to the max. What don't you understand in that? BTW I don't have a couch.

• Like 1