Thailand to impose security law for Thaksin protests

george

Tensions rise. I just hope when this is all over the Thai people get what they want.

Half will , half wont ,therin lies the problem which will not go away with one protest no matter how big.

Unfortunately this is the disadvantage of democracy, and clearly shows that democracy is not always a good thing. Cooperation would work much better, than totally leaving the opposition without influence.

Giving the opposition influence would defeat the purpose of a military dictatorship with a 'democratic' puppet.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is needed. Well done.

Stop talking rubbish, this is thailand and the thai,s have a right to demonstrate how they chose fit,this is one sure way of over reaction, when will us farang just keep our mouths shut and mind our own business,

Yes, they have the right to demonstrate. Nobody tries to stop them. But the government (also Thai if you don't mind) has the right to prepare itself for the worst (as has happened in the past). So what's wrong?

People talking about dictatorship/junta....! Where the hel_l is dictatorship in Thailand?

Wonder whether these people know about the former Eastern European governments? It is all so ridiculous but sad and dangerous enough to send the country into turmoil with big negative impacts for all.

It is needed. Well done.

Stop talking rubbish, this is thailand and the thai,s have a right to demonstrate how they chose fit,this is one sure way of over reaction, when will us farang just keep our mouths shut and mind our own business,

Yes, they have the right to demonstrate. Nobody tries to stop them.

Oh really? What is the security act for then?

Sad. ISA is essentialy "martial law in a particular area." Guess they don't have much faith in the police to deal with protests, like police manages to do in almost any other country in the world.

Well WK, after seeing how the Police (didn't) handle the last few (red and gold), who has faith?

No reasonable government in the world would sit back and allow free rein to a violent terrorist movement massing in their capital

They're not a terrorist movement.

A MESSAGE TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF BANGKOK AND INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITIES

<snip>

errmmm...... you forgot to mention Thaksin Shinawatra will pay you for turning out. :)

It is needed. Well done.

Who's talking rubbish? There's a distinction to be made between PEACEFUL demonstrations and a VIOLENT MOB. The Red Shirts have already shown their true colors on plenty of occasions and should be dealt with as such. RedShirtTypical.jpg

It is needed. Well done.

Suggest you wait and see, so you will know. If you can't learn from history, learn from future, there's nothing wrong about that.

It is needed. Well done.

No reasonable government in the world would sit back and allow free rein to a violent terrorist movement massing in their capital. If you actually believe the red shirts are a peaceful movement, I would agree with you. However, I think the proof is overwhelming that they are a violent movement willing to do anything to achieve their goals. That is simply not acceptable.

Some people would do well refraining to label everyone who disagrees with them (and their idea of an ideal retirement destination) a terrorist or terrorist movement.  Gosh, would some of those here frothing about get a grip.  :D

If your inflationary use of the word terrorist is applied to everyone opposing those in power then by heck count me in as well.  :D

Some of the posters on here are really a spin doctors dream come true as far as keeping people in fear, divisions and servitude.  This announcement is a complete over-reaction by the government (and probably on the orders of the military).  If, as many on here seem to suggest, the many of this country are held to ransom by the few than there is an easy way to settle the argument once and for all...at the ballot box.

Ohh, hang on... :)

It seems to me that the actions that occurred last year in Pattaya and Bangkok, as well as statements made by some of their members along with grenade attacks and the planting of bombs in the city within the city in the past few months justify the label of terrorists. These are not just peaceful opponents of the government but a group, factions of which have engaged in and advocated violence to topple the government.

It is needed. Well done.

No reasonable government in the world would sit back and allow free rein to a violent terrorist movement massing in their capital. If you actually believe the red shirts are a peaceful movement, I would agree with you. However, I think the proof is overwhelming that they are a violent movement willing to do anything to achieve their goals. That is simply not acceptable.

Unlike the peaceful yellow shirts who only forcefully blockade an international airport causing untold misery to tens of thousands. What happened to the reasonable government who sat back and allowed free rein to that violent terrorist movement massing in their capital?

I think it is more like 1/5th (the well connected MIB and government insiders) will get what they want, and 4/5ths will go away wondering why they bothered to vote in any of the several revoked elections.

I remember April 2006, when the election was later annulled, but when were the other "several revoked elections" ? :)

If you actually believe the red shirts are a peaceful movement, I would agree with you. However, I think the proof is overwhelming that they are a violent movement willing to do anything to achieve their goals. That is simply not acceptable.

No,but they have the majority in the 2 last elections. :)

It is needed. Well done.

Unlike the peaceful yellow shirts who only forcefully blockade an international airport causing untold misery to tens of thousands. What happened to the reasonable government who sat back and allowed free rein to that violent terrorist movement massing in their capital?

Sometimes airports remain closed due to heavy storms and snow. Do you consider snow to be a terrorist now? Suggest you check the meaning of the words you use. By the way closing down the airport was the airport authorities decision, not the yellow's request. And the government that didn't act, is the one the reds want back.

It is needed. Well done.

Put your fingers in your ears and hum really loudly. I don't know who is right and who is wrong, but there is a huge double standard here that is completely insane.

It is needed. Well done.

That is not acceptable is your comment. You have no evidence to speak about terrorist movement and I fully agree with the previous comment saying as Farang keep your mouth shut. It's right to the Thai people to demonstrate what they want, could be yellow or red; it's their country and their business not ours and even we have opinions, keep it for us. I would never accept in my country foreigners speaking about what is OK and what is wrong, that's all. :)

Red or yellow. To me both sides are idiots, either having to much time or money to spend.

I think the time will come when the normal Thai should stand up and set an end to the erosion of the country.

In practical terms, there's not much difference between the powers bestowed by the ISA and how law enforcement is routinely carried out in Thailand: search without warrant, unlawful detention, restricting movement. What is different is that the army, rather than the police, calls the shots.

So, as the Commander of ISOC is the Army C-in-C and can pretty much do what he wants under the erms of the ISA.

Would it technically be a coup if the army decided they liked these powers that were voluntarily handed to them by the government and for the sake of the country decided to prolong their stay in charge, thus postponing any elections due in the next year or so?

[snip]

really?

yellow shirts, in case you have forgotten it was them that did all the damage last time not the red shirts.

sorry seems this became attached to the wrong post as a reply, hope the point is not lost

Edited by alant

If you actually believe the red shirts are a peaceful movement, I would agree with you. However, I think the proof is overwhelming that they are a violent movement willing to do anything to achieve their goals. That is simply not acceptable.

No,but they have the majority in the 2 last elections. :)

Very wrong you are. The Taksin's party did NOT have the majority. It only became the majority by coalition with some small parties. Once these small parties defected and moved to work with the democrats, the democrats became the majority. That is exactly the point the reds rigorously overlook. Their beloved Taksin and his party NEVER had the necessary majority.

Sometimes airports remain closed due to heavy storms and snow. Do you consider snow to be a terrorist now? Suggest you check the meaning of the words you use. By the way closing down the airport was the airport authorities decision, not the yellow's request. And the government that didn't act, is the one the reds want back.

I can't even believe I'm reading this. So by your logic, is it okay for the red shirts to march on the airport? After all, it was okay for the yellows. And if the airport is closed, that's not the fault of the protesters, that's the fault of the people who work at the airport. Sorry, but are you Thai? This is the kind of logic that I experience almost daily here, that makes me wonder if I am still sane.

It is needed. Well done.

For many of us it is our business, farang or not, as it affects our business.

Of course it affects our business and I am very concerned about that but anyway, it's not our country and if we can not accept the Thai people they do what they want (any color they are), we have to do our business in another place. :)

It is needed. Well done.

To allow the government to take sufficient measures quickly and efficiently to deal with violence if it does occur.