Windshield Washing Fluid Or Just Water

phetaroi

I wonder how many squirts it takes to get even a trace element in even the smallest body of water?? That's taking green conservation to a whole new level. Personally I think just getting Thai's to throw away their garbage properly and not litter is a far more pressing issue & greater detriment to the environment and a more worthwhile cause to undertake..

For the OP I use seriously diluted glass cleaner and to cut down on how often I have to clean I use RainX and a special cloth to wipe between washes and nothing else sticks most times..

Edited by WarpSpeed

The OP asked a good question about the wash though; most washes do damage roads and your car paint, rubber seals, and wiper blades because of the anti-freeze chemicals added. Back home, most companies add methanol, ammonia and/or formalin - and then sell 'evironmentally friendly' biodegradable washes without these chemicals at a premium price. Do they sell these in Thailand where it's never cold enough to need anti-freeze? Not as far as I know - go figure.

The lowest-priced commercially produced winshield wash I've seen in BK is the 'Blue Power' brand; it's only 179baht for 500cc at Carrefour - they stick it on the top shelf so no-sees it and everyone buys the 500baht+ brand-name washes. Blue Power contains SLES and Isopropyl Alcohol so it's less potent than methanol but still not exactly paint-friendly.

Most people who care about their cars, not only the environment, make their own wash - just use equal parts of white vinegar and water.

If you're really that concerned about the environment why would you not be walking?? It's OTT and smelling like a troll...Still I'll offer a solution and that is to add a touch of vinegar then problem solved..Except for the chemicals already added to the water for purification that is... :D:)

*edit* Ooopsss! Aussiebebe beat me to it...

^ like I said I dilute even more then that it really takes very little washer fluid and also saves you money.

Edited by WarpSpeed

OR a bit of washing up liquid will do. :) Come on now, don't want members committing suicide over this.

:D:D:D

Very good, I will start to use that from now on.

Every time I go to the car accessories in any super store, the sales guys are all over me trying to sell the "top" products.

I got some very expensive car shampoo I bought last time and every time I wash the car it looks like shit. I normal ends up driving it to a car wash nearby and they even drive it back to my house afterwards for a very small amount of bath. :D

I have a 2l bottle which in addition to tap water has a few drops of washing up liquid and a few capfuls of Windex. When empty I remix.

Vehicle still has all rubber bits and all the paint. The local klong is just as black as ever and the local still fish in it so wildlife seems to be doing OK. :)

I find the inside gets just as dirty so I sacrifice a bit of the Sumatran rain forest in the form of newsprint to clean that. As the newsprint soaks up the washing up liquid used for removing dirt I am detergent neutral.

I'll probably get laughed at here, but anything you add to the water ends up in the rivers and ocean, so I just use water.

I mix water with glass cleaner, windex or similar. My windscreen is more important to me than the idea where the wastewater goes. Glasscleaner lubricates a little bit so it protects my windshield from scratches, wich safes my money, because my windscreen last longer

I have a 2l bottle which in addition to tap water has a few drops of washing up liquid and a few capfuls of Windex. When empty I remix.

Vehicle still has all rubber bits and all the paint. The local klong is just as black as ever and the local still fish in it so wildlife seems to be doing OK. :)

I find the inside gets just as dirty so I sacrifice a bit of the Sumatran rain forest in the form of newsprint to clean that. As the newsprint soaks up the washing up liquid used for removing dirt I am detergent neutral.

Honestly I'd like to recommend a couple of specially treated/produced towels I purchased at Tesco which are designed for less solutions and cleaners and they work mostly dry without cleaners, one for the window and one for the exterior, they also have one for the interior and they work excellent with out any water. A real bonus when cleaning the interior windows as no drips get on your cleaned and polished dash and trim which always happens when sprayed and as it goes most times you have to do after treating your dash and trim, no streaks too....Can't remember the name but one is gray and the other is white in the same package..

Edited by WarpSpeed

A splash of washing up liquid, using plain water leads to smearing and poor visibility in the rain as traffic film builds up.

In a hurry the other day I got some special washer fluid, useless, I'll be sticking with the washing up liquid :)

I used to use a laboratory glass cleaner called Micro (about 1/2 way down this page http://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/produc.../supplies.aspx) brilliant and free from the lab. Biodegradable and even removes radioactive contamination (handy when the Thais build that nuclear power plant). At US$62 a gallon I'll not be using it here but only a tiny amount was needed.