Phuket To Buriram On A Honda Wave

octavedave

Do you think it is possible to drive from Phuket To Buriram on a Honda wave. Im not after other suggestions of how to get there as ive done it by train , plane, bus and driven myself in a car. Im just wondering if the bike would hold up , its nearly new.

I just thought it would be something different to do. I know most people will say i need a bigger bike for comfort and that but do you think it is possible on my Wave?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it's a 125cc Wave-i great fun guaranteed ! I learned this is a very good long distance bike, did many times Chiangmai-Maesai-Chiangmai in 1 day, 500km or so no problem. With a 110cc Wave I would never do it, this is a typical girl bike with poor acceleration and not much power, very annoying for long trips.

I suggest if you bought it new immediately change the rear tire. They usually sell new motorbikes with two front tires in stead of with much thicker rear tire. This may cause frequent leakage and a thick rear tire drives much better.

Edited by ManilaLover

I was thinking over 3 days and it is a 110. Im not worried about the comfort thing . Would a wave 110 hold up , i dont want to destroy it.

For the bike no problem for sure, just take your time. Best is to drive not over 80km/h this saves a lot of fuel and not feel tired after a long trip.

First long trip I did max speed 110km/h all the way, this is not relaxed, from then on just 80km/h sabai sabai :D

I dream of making a trip like his to throug Isan, just don't take the time for it.

As locals can see at the plate where you come from you will meet impressed people all the way :)

But perhaps the new bike does not have a plate yet.

Yes a Wave can do it as others also mention. The Wave is a rock solid bike if you change the oil as pr stated in the manual or earlier.

A poster here (Lancelot i think) drove Pattaya- Chiang Mai and back on his cheap Wave.

You will get a sore arse though :)

Have a good trip :D

t

I think ill give it a go then. Any recomendations on how far i should drive before giving the bike a cool down.

You'll need a break long before the bike does. The occasional food/fuel stops will be give the bike a brief break anyway, but as long as it's in decent shape then the bike will be fine.

I think ill give it a go then. Any recomendations on how far i should drive before giving the bike a cool down.

Don't worry so much about the bike, you will "give up" before it does :D

At say 80-90 km/h the bike is more that sufficient cooled by the wind passing the engine.

On air cooled engines you worry when you are riding very slow or at too long standstill with engine ticking over. But again on a Wave the engine is rock solid, so just make sure you change the oil now and again.

So if you want a straight answer to your question, you can go 6000 km and then let it cool down (during oil change) :D . No shitting. :) and then go another 6000.

you can go 6000 km and then let it cool down (during oil change)

must have a big separate fuel tank :)

When you are crossing the Isan sahara yes.

Eventually a 0,5 liter coke bottle with spare fuel under the seat will be more then enough, but you won't use it if you not forget to refuel on time.

Better carry a set of spare inner tires of good quality, the 20b ones they sell at small shops can be of very poor qualty, they often don't know how to fix a hole properly etc.

I suggest also buy a set of vibration absorbers for the handles, they cost 20b. A Wave engine can cause high frequent vibrations that become very annoying on long trips (when you stop your hands have kind of electrostatic vibrations for 20 minutes) They also make the handles thicker = also more comfortable and the rubber grips als can cause bladders on the hands.

The bike should be more worried about you overheating then vice versa.

There is a great thread on gt-riders forum about a guy doing Singapore to Ventiene and back on a tiny KZR. I have rode a old never maintained Wave 110 round trip Sisaket to Surin more times then I would like to recall without incident beyond the occasional flat tire. As long as your on flat ground no need to rest that bike at all. If you find some mountains or big hills that is another story.

you can go 6000 km and then let it cool down (during oil change)

must have a big separate fuel tank :)

the thing that would worry me would be running out of petrol along the way.What do most people do,take a spare jerry can?

1.5 liter Coke bottle full of "Fanta Deang" in the backpack and a bottle of water for you.

No problem at all, mate. Look at my posts re. my Wave 100. Take it easy and you'll have a blast. The locals will also be fascinated with what you're doing. I'm a fukin hero with my local m/c taxi drivers coz I drive a Wave around town. Taking it from bkk to Korat knocks them out.

The one thing I woul advise is to make tthe seat more comfortable as numb-bum can be a problem. I use a thick towel.

Good luck, and post some pics of your trip.

Respect, if you do it.

No problem at all, as aforesaid.

Malaysians cover incredible distance on a regular basis on their little cubs.

The Japanese invaded Malaya in record time using bicycles. God knows what would happen to the world if they had Honda Waves instead :)

Take a few simple precautions and you will have few or no problems. Tyres are the most important. Especilly the rear. Fit a new Dunlop, Michellin are nearly as good, IRC will do at a pinch. The rest are flimsey and you will be stranded with a flat tyre somewhere or other. Also buy a tyre pressure guage and check pressures every three days or so. I guess you wll have a bit of a load on so put 40-45psi in the back. Take a spare spark plug with you and a botte of spare fuel. Keep the chain adjusted and well lubed. You will definately have a very sore bum.

The Wave is a great little bike and will be less tired at the end of the trip than you. I worked for many years as a bike mechanic and still keep my hand in looking after friends bikes here in Thailand so the above advice is good.

Have a great trip mate. :)

When it's a 125cc Wave-i great fun guaranteed ! I learned this is a very good long distance bike, did many times Chiangmai-Maesai-Chiangmai in 1 day, 500km or so no problem. With a 110cc Wave I would never do it, this is a typical girl bike with poor acceleration and not much power, very annoying for long trips.

Ah yes, the 110cc wave is a girlie bike. Real men ride 125cc Waves! :)

Ah yes, the 110cc wave is a girlie bike. Real men ride 125cc Waves! :)

I have a 125 Sonic, does that count :D

Hope you're all aware theWave and its predecessors were voted 'the best bike ever' by Discovery Channel. Chosen by a panel of biker riders, racers, writers, and collectors because of its amazing design, durability, and how it brought bikes to the masses.

A 50 year old design still doing fantastic.