Police Officer Aproached Me At Jett Jiff Coffee Shop...

Lammbock

...and asked me what i think about Thailand and Thai people and The Red March and the "Yellows". I was a bit shocked and wondering why he ask "me" something like that.

I was totally surprised and don't know what to answer to him.

I basically said to him that this is no problem for me and it will be done soon. "Don't worry"

I know this answer sounds very stupid but just couldn't say to him what is my really opinion of all this and that the political situation is pretty crappy in Thailand since the coup in 2006.

He maybe would have locked me up cause he might would have get it wrong. Something like this i guess.

What you think about that? Do you mean i should have tell him my real opinion cause it is save to tell what you thinking in Thailand???

I don't know folks. Honestly i was a bit scared of him. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I would take this as a pretty harmless question, with many Thai people genuinely interested what outsiders think of the whole situation.

Therefore my response would not be different compared to the dozens of others who have asked me this.

It would be an observational answer more than an opiniated one. I'm getting very good at that, with all the practice I get on this forum. :) Instead of saying things like "Abhisit is XXXX" or "Thaksin is XXXX", you poor it into an observational format. "The Red people want to be heard and respected. They like what Mr. Thaksin did for them." "Most people I talk to want things to remain peaceful and respectful first and foremost, it's the Thai way."

That's the way to phrase it here as well, and probably in political conversations generally. Nobody can fault you for stating what you've heard. Then you find out soon enough which way they lean.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

As a side comment, some people (not talking about the OP here) seem to be a bit startled as soon as they're having a conversation with a policeman. Don't be; they're people just like everyone else. Plus, in the very unlikely event you catch a bad apple, answering smilingly and confidently and preferably in Thai (or otherwise showing experience in Thailand) will quickly send the message that there are easier targets out there. :)

I recall stories from years and years ago from people getting stopped at Ekamai fresh off the bus from Pattaya, with police (or "police") making a deal out of a pack of condoms or whatever. I'd blow those guys out of the water with a lecture on safe sex and/or family planning. :D

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Kind of on the subject, but probably a little far fetched. I was stopped on my bike yesterday in Pin Klao (usual tug for being 3' from the kerb). When I pulled my helmet off to reveal I was a farang (I ride with full sleeves, trousers, gloves and full-face helmet) he started to smile, asked for my licence and, as I was reaching into my bike, came up behind me and gave me a hug..... I told him (laughing) to get off. He told me to ride on the the left, smiled saluted and waved me on my way.....I'm not sure that I wouldn't have preferred the 100b fine to being groped by a big cop :)

Thx for all your replys.

Yes, it was a uncomfortable situation. Was sitting at the Coffee Shop facing the window and he approached me from behind "Sawasdee Kup" You speak Thai?" I saied : "Not that good, sir" and than he start asking all the question i mentioned in my first post.

Well next time this happen to me i better start talk Italian :)

Next time try this:

"Down with the yellows, down with the government, the reds are right, Thaksin know what's best".

Followed by "my name's Jingthing by the way, pleased to meet you".

:):D

Just kidding here JT & Mods. :D

Well, I would take this as a pretty harmless question, with many Thai people genuinely interested what outsiders think of the whole situation.

Therefore my response would not be different compared to the dozens of others who have asked me this.

It would be an observational answer more than an opiniated one. I'm getting very good at that, with all the practice I get on this forum. :) Instead of saying things like "Abhisit is XXXX" or "Thaksin is XXXX", you poor it into an observational format. "The Red people want to be heard and respected. They like what Mr. Thaksin did for them." "Most people I talk to want things to remain peaceful and respectful first and foremost, it's the Thai way."

That's the way to phrase it here as well, and probably in political conversations generally. Nobody can fault you for stating what you've heard. Then you find out soon enough which way they lean.

Winnie, IMHO I think this is generally really bad advice. In my long experience here I have found that to have an open, honest, objective and reasonable conversation with your average Thai is impossible especially, especially, on matters relating to anything remotely negative to Thailand or anything Thai . which means politics , for example, is an off limit topic and is guaranteed to cause you grief. Yes I said impossible as your average Thai just does not possess the ability and skills and knowledge to debate rationally and accept that other people may have an opinion that is not 1,000% pro-Thai.

These kinds of questions are aimed at baiting the unsuspecting westener who thinks that he has been invited into an even-handed, level-headed, common sense, rational and fair discussion where his views, both negative and positive are taken on board and considered.

If you feel the need to have a rational and reasonable, objective and enjoyable discussion on matters Thailand with a Thai then you are advised, ney, urged to carefully selet only the extremely well educated who just might not want to seek revenge for anything you said that can remotely be construed as anti-Thai.

Strong suggestion: keep your conversations with almost all Thais related to how great and wonderful Thais and Thailand is.

Winnie, IMHO I think this is generally really bad advice. In my long experience here I have found that to have an open, honest, objective and reasonable conversation with your average Thai is impossible especially, especially, on matters relating to anything remotely negative to Thailand or anything Thai . which means politics , for example, is an off limit topic and is guaranteed to cause you grief. Yes I said impossible as your average Thai just does not possess the ability and skills and knowledge to debate rationally and accept that other people may have an opinion that is not 1,000% pro-Thai.

These kinds of questions are aimed at baiting the unsuspecting westener who thinks that he has been invited into an even-handed, level-headed, common sense, rational and fair discussion where his views, both negative and positive are taken on board and considered.

If you feel the need to have a rational and reasonable, objective and enjoyable discussion on matters Thailand with a Thai then you are advised, ney, urged to carefully selet only the extremely well educated who just might not want to seek revenge for anything you said that can remotely be construed as anti-Thai.

Strong suggestion: keep your conversations with almost all Thais related to how great and wonderful Thais and Thailand is.

As much as I hate to admit it, this is the best advice in the thread so far. It's so common for people to bark up the wrong tree here and not realize it until it's too late, especially when it comes to opinions.

It would be an observational answer more than an opiniated one. I'm getting very good at that, with all the practice I get on this forum. :D Instead of saying things like "Abhisit is XXXX" or "Thaksin is XXXX", you poor it into an observational format. "The Red people want to be heard and respected. They like what Mr. Thaksin did for them." "Most people I talk to want things to remain peaceful and respectful first and foremost, it's the Thai way."

:D

Oh dear, you must have a pretty paranoid life if you feel all Thais are out to get you like that. I often express my opinion on matters concerning Thailand, although it's usually with my family. I'm always perfectly honest about what I feel. Sometimes they think I'm wrong (my wife in particular sems to think I'm just a "stupid Farang") but sometimes they agree with me. Sometimes. when certain things are explained, I see the logic in their position, even from a "Thai viewpoint". Sometimes we just agree to disagree.

I have my opinions, my family has their opinions. Sometimes we agree, sometines we don't. But we can talk about Thailand without arguements even if we don't agree.

Try listening to them, not just telling them your opinion. You might be surprised how much some Thais really do know. My wife surprised me by saying that she knew perfectly well Thaksin took money for his own use from the government funds. She then said that all Thai politicians have done that. At least this time, when Thaksin took money, some of the poor people got a part of it back. She called that progress for Thailand, because the poor never usually got any of it back.

The more I thought abut that, the more sense it made. If you're down on the bottom all the time, anything at all, no matter how little it is, looks like up to you.

:)

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I agree with WTK. I have had plenty of discussions on politics with Thais and the current (then) state of affairs. As long as it is done in an observational and non-confrontational way there is no problem. These conversations have been with a good cross section of society and always in the Thai language. I believe, rightly or wrongly, that it is possible to say negative things about Thailand without it being taken badly if it is done in Thai language. It at least gives the impression that you have been here long enough to know what you are talking about.

Edited by GarryP

whenever the BiB are involved I just smile, act polite and play the 'first time in thailand' card. it saved me from getting a hefty fine when I made the schoolboy error of dropping a cigarette butt down a drain in full view of a lower suk traffic police booth.

without tarring them all with the same brush, plenty of BiB will happily invent some offence to charge you with - potentially offending them is not worth the hassle.

Thais are so extraordinarily sensitive, it is best to brush the question aside and avoid the conversation.

To the poster who mentioned he has had conversations with his Thai family, yes of course. It is a safer bet than to talk about Thailand politics to a cop who just approached you from behind!!

And lets not forget the farang who was asked about Thaksin a year or two ago and got stabbed in a taxi from the airport, by the driver-questioner.

It would be an observational answer more than an opiniated one. I'm getting very good at that, with all the practice I get on this forum. :D Instead of saying things like "Abhisit is XXXX" or "Thaksin is XXXX", you poor it into an observational format. "The Red people want to be heard and respected. They like what Mr. Thaksin did for them." "Most people I talk to want things to remain peaceful and respectful first and foremost, it's the Thai way."

:D

Oh dear, you must have a pretty paranoid life if you feel all Thais are out to get you like that. I often express my opinion on matters concerning Thailand, although it's usually with my family. I'm always perfectly honest about what I feel. Sometimes they think I'm wrong (my wife in particular sems to think I'm just a "stupid Farang") but sometimes they agree with me. Sometimes. when certain things are explained, I see the logic in their position, even from a "Thai viewpoint". Sometimes we just agree to disagree.

I have my opinions, my family has their opinions. Sometimes we agree, sometines we don't. But we can talk about Thailand without arguements even if we don't agree.

Try listening to them, not just telling them your opinion. You might be surprised how much some Thais really do know. My wife surprised me by saying that she knew perfectly well Thaksin took money for his own use from the government funds. She then said that all Thai politicians have done that. At least this time, when Thaksin took money, some of the poor people got a part of it back. She called that progress for Thailand, because the poor never usually got any of it back.

The more I thought abut that, the more sense it made. If you're down on the bottom all the time, anything at all, no matter how little it is, looks like up to you.

:)

I_F It's nothing to do with paranoia. It's self-preservation and an opinion based on lots and lots of experience.

And using your wife as an example is an extremely weak argument. She's your family for goodness sake. And I did say your average Thai not your wife whom, most sensible people would agree, would not normally be viewed as your averavge Thai. I would think she is in a very special category and someone who would be extra tollerant and supportive of you as opposed to a cop who happend off the street on a completely random basis. I mean really!!!!!!!!!!!! I should not have had to explain this to you as I thought it would have been utterly obvious.

Edited by barky

A few years ago, when the Sgt. Witsingh murder case in Kanchinaburi was all over the news, a police inspector from Kanchinaburi asked me if I felt safe in Thailand. I answered honestly (he is my wife's uncle, so I wasn't worried about consequences!) and he told me that he was worried that people would have a negative view of Thailand as a result of the murders that the Sgt. had committed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this policeman was just worried and curious as well.

Thais are so extraordinarily sensitive, it is best to brush the question aside and avoid the conversation.

To the poster who mentioned he has had conversations with his Thai family, yes of course. It is a safer bet than to talk about Thailand politics to a cop who just approached you from behind!!

And lets not forget the farang who was asked about Thaksin a year or two ago and got stabbed in a taxi from the airport, by the driver-questioner.

I often have conversations with taxi drivers in BKK about politics. They initiate it. Perfect strangers.

Asked what I think of Thaksin, I tell them I've not liked him for a long time, since about 1997. I tell them why in a non-confronational way, and i always thrown in that but for a select few, they are corrupt or out of touch anyway. For the yellow inclined taxi drivers (a fair few about it must be noted) I tell them that in hindsight that the coup was wrong and that they should have let Thaksin go to an election and lose...which in my opinion would have happened as he was on the nose anyway before the coup.

All but one have never mined this approach. We have a good chat and they thank me for an interesting chat.

Yes maybe. But maybe not. Its like poker, right.

Sometimes i do talk with Thais about Thai politics. But only with the family of my Dads Wife or my engineer friends. I know them all long time. Its save. They also do soooooometimes, very very sometimes, a joke with the King but in a friendly and polite way. for example: When they have to relocate a picture of him, jokes like that.

I would never ever lose any word about the King or Thai politics with a stranger Thai or a Thai police officer.

The past is my witness! Fallangs always do lose in these games.

You also wouldn't ever buy Marijuana or XTC from a Pattaya beach rd. dealer, wouldn't you!?!. Is almost the same thing.

Edited by Lammbock

Yes maybe. But maybe not. Its like poker, right.

Sometimes i do talk with Thais about Thai politics. But only with the family of my Dads Wife or my engineer friends. I know them all long time. Its save. They also do soooooometimes, very very sometimes, a joke with the King but in a friendly and polite way. for example: When they have to relocate a picture of him, jokes like that.

I would never ever lose any word about the King or Thai politics with a stranger Thai or a Thai police officer.

The past is my witness! Fallangs always do lose in these games.

You also wouldn't ever buy Marijuana or XTC from a Pattaya beach rd. dealer, wouldn't you!?!. Is almost the same thing.

i fully agree,i only talk about these matters to close friends and family,whist out dinning with friends and family in Thai a stranger to me came over to me and started a conversation about thaskin and government,knowing the problems i only replied I'm just on holiday i don't know about these matters,my partner hurried over with a look of concern what you talk this man,be very careful what you say this government have many secret police and will make problem ,i do think its best to play the i dont know anything card,

The cop was probably drunk or showing off to his friends a la 'look at me, I am big and brave and smart enough to speak Farang to a Farang' or both. Police in Thailand are best avoided.

They are usually outside my apartment every morning picking up the takings from the illegal all-night karaoke they run. This demonstrates their true profession.