Banking During Songkran

krakatoa

The TV calendar shows Songkran running from the 13th through to the 18th.

Personally I think that the banks will be close Tuesday 13th through to and including Friday 16th.

Any thoughts out there.

Again on behalf of someone who is fresh here in the realm.

Any feedback appreciated.....

It could only happen in Thailand. The GF just foned the KTB on Thapae and was told definately closed on 13, 14, & 15 but HQ in the big mango has not yet told them whether they are going to be open on Friday 16 or not and advised "call back next month"

I almost spewed. Here is a guy coming to Thailand on R & R and wants to open a bank account, so now he does not know whether to book flights and accommodation, or wot.

"TI effin T"

It is the other way around, it is not very smart to come to Thailand during songkran to open a bank account. Anybody with a few braincells knows that during these days things like that will be difficult, like it is everywhere in the world during festivities, it has got nothing to do with TiT.

I struggle to find any sense in trying to do any kind of serious business during Songkran. Other than serious drinking & partying business that is, which admittedly is serious business as well. :D

Best to rule out that whole week to be honest; while banks will be open on the 12th, you better get there very early morning and/or own a car or else you're not going to make it back with a dry bank book and passport. :)

So to answer your question: Friday 9 April is good, or possibly Saturday 10th at one of the shopping mall / super market branches. Best if you're on a non immigrant visa, though some people managed to open accounts on tourist visas or even no visa at all (exemption).

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I struggle to find any sense in trying to do any kind of serious business during Songkran. Other than serious drinking & partying business that is, which admittedly is serious business as well. :D

Best to rule out that whole week to be honest; while banks will be open on the 12th, you better get there very early morning and/or own a car or else you're not going to make it back with a dry bank book and passport. :)

So to answer your question: Friday 9 April is good, or possibly Saturday 10th at one of the shopping mall / super market branches. Best if you're on a non immigrant visa, though some people managed to open accounts on tourist visas or even no visa at all (exemption).

I agree with you 100%

I had my 1st Songkran in 1992 and a few since then.

Now I make sure I have plenty of beer, wine, whisky and some soda get a few books from Gecko and "hibernate" for as long as the lunatics are out there.

And I wouldn't consider anything like setting up a bank account that week.

But you can take some people by the hand and they whilst admitting they don't know much about it blunder along anyway.

It is the other way around, it is not very smart to come to Thailand during songkran to open a bank account. Anybody with a few braincells knows that during these days things like that will be difficult, like it is everywhere in the world during festivities, it has got nothing to do with TiT.

The "TI *&^%^ T" was in reference to them (the bank) not yet having decided what days they are going to be closed. And talking about 'braincells' it's less than three weeks away. So I stand by TIT

I agree that it is 'not very smart' to come to Thailand and try to open an account during Songkran but if it was in any civilised (read developed) country you could open a bank account between Christmas and New Year.

Edited by krakatoa

You may be able to bank at the "sub-branches" in places like shopping malls, Lotus, Big-C, etc. These sub-branches do not have the same hours as regular branches.

As for coming to Thailand on R&R and wanting to open a bank account...... doesn't make sense.

MSPain

You may be able to bank at the "sub-branches" in places like shopping malls, Lotus, Big-C, etc. These sub-branches do not have the same hours as regular branches.

As for coming to Thailand on R&R and wanting to open a bank account...... doesn't make sense.

MSPain

"As for coming to Thailand on R&R and wanting to open a bank account...... doesn't make sense"

No I guess that it might not make sense but the guy is looking to set up a base here.

I could have made the OP two full pages long but I have adopted the "KISS' principle. (keep it simple stupid)