Hiring A Car And Driving Round Thailand - A Few Questions Please

johndmf

Hi,

I'm coming to Thailand in August with my family - me, my wife and our 2 children of 8 and 10. I thought we'd see more of the country if we hire a car rather than relying on planes, buses and trains, but I'm a little apprehensive about a few things and would appreciate some advice from people who drive in Thailand a lot. I drove a motorbike round Northern Thailand many years ago and have driven abroad quite a lot, so am used to driving defensively and hooting before going round blind corners to let oncoming traffic know I'm there.

I was thinking of hiring a car in Chiang Mai and driving via Chiang Dao and Chiang Rai to Nan. I thought I'd do some exploring in Nan before heading to Sukhothai and over to north east Thailand, maybe taking in Loei, Nong khai, Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan and then dropping the car off in Udon Thani or Khon Kaen. I'd have about 15 or 16 days to do this.

I've had a look at the car hire on this website and they offer a Honda Jazz or Honda City and I can also rent a GPS system with it. So my queries are these.

1. It is rainy season in August. I'm assuming most of the roads will be sealed and will be fine, but will some of the roads be a problem in the more rural and/or mountainous areas?

2. Will both those cars (I don't know those models) cope with the rural and mountainous roads. Are both of these models similar or is one of them better for what I want to do?

3. Will I have any trouble using the GPS in English as I don't know if I'll always have an address in English and I don't speak Thai. Would I be better off with a road map?

4. Am I trying to drive too far and fit too much in, in the sense that will some of the journey times be very long?

Thanks,

John

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. August is the middle of rainy season. All of the roads you go on will probably be sealed, but probably be covered in water but only for short periods.

2. I think the Jazz is bigger than the City. For 4 of you, I would go with the Jazz.

3. You would need to ask the car company about the GPS language. Carry a map too. It gives you a better overview of where things are.

4. It all depends on where you intend to stop in each place. I would think you would need most of a day to travel between each major location. You could easily spend a week or more in Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area. That would leave a week for the rest of it. Might be getting a bit much.

I love driving in Thailand - and if you are a competent driver you should have no problems with the vagaries of other road users.

however in the wet I would go for an SUV pickup based SUV, or 4door pickup with 4WD - only because you might find you have to navigate the odd flood or mud etc and require that little extra ground clearance. also much better for excursions up the quieter country roads.

I would certainly get map or two as back up for sat nav - I think that asking locals for direction is only for your amusement only and certainly not a good way of getting directions. (Roads signs are almost always scripted in THai and Western Lettering.

A diesel 4wd Pickup is about the same price as a Jazz. diesel is cheaper than gasoline too.

Thanks for the replies.

The cars I am looking at are through Budget and I assume the GPS would be in English as well as Thai, but I will check. Assuming it is in English, has anyone any experience of using a GPS in English in Thailand? Will it recognise names of villages in English (sometimes I've seen English translations of Thai names spelt in different ways)? It makes sense to have a road map as well. Can I buy a road map in English when I'm in Thailand or should I get one in the UK?

As there are 4 of us, the cheapest 4 wheel drive is the Toyota Vigo double cab. It's about £90 (4,500 baht) more, but presumably will do a lot less miles to the gallon so will also cost more to run. I haven't driven a pick up truck before and would prefer to drive a car, but if the general consensus is that it may be a problem with a car in the rainy season, then I would hire a pick up truck.

I've also read it's not a good idea to drive at night. What about driving at night on the main roads between cities - is that still a bit dodgy?

I've driven in all those areas except Loei, and all during the rainy season. The only problems I ever encountered were having to give up on a couple of short trips off the main highway to (for example) waterfalls and the like, which were on laterite or just plain dirt roads. Main highways and most secondary roads should be fine...there was an exception down along the coast in the south on time where I got a little nervous.

Although that kind of driving trip appeals to me back in the States...and in fact often went for 4 weeks at a time. Here, not sure I'd do that...although not sure why I am saying that...just a feeling. Maybe it's just me getting older.

Thanks for the replies.

The cars I am looking at are through Budget and I assume the GPS would be in English as well as Thai, but I will check. Assuming it is in English, has anyone any experience of using a GPS in English in Thailand? Will it recognise names of villages in English (sometimes I've seen English translations of Thai names spelt in different ways)? It makes sense to have a road map as well. Can I buy a road map in English when I'm in Thailand or should I get one in the UK?

As there are 4 of us, the cheapest 4 wheel drive is the Toyota Vigo double cab. It's about £90 (4,500 baht) more, but presumably will do a lot less miles to the gallon so will also cost more to run. I haven't driven a pick up truck before and would prefer to drive a car, but if the general consensus is that it may be a problem with a car in the rainy season, then I would hire a pick up truck.

I've also read it's not a good idea to drive at night. What about driving at night on the main roads between cities - is that still a bit dodgy?

City and jazz, City has 4 inches longer wheelbase providing more legroom in back seat and has a longer/larger trunk. Otherwise same car. Most important is cars age and milage though.

In the rainseason roads can be flooded, enough to stop these cars. I would consider renting a Toyota Fortuner Or Mitsubishi Pajero Sport. approx double the rental price of the small cars. Diesel for economy similar to small cars, and more power.

Driving at night is dangerous, even at highway. Drunkdrivers, vehicles on the wrong side of the road not using lights. Most accidents occure between 1700 and midnight.

navigation GPS is a problem in English, because of spelling. a towns name can be translated to english in many ways. Suvarnabum airports is usually spelled Suvarnabumi!!! Ordinary maps as backup is a must, and easy to buy here in english and thai. GPS can always assist you on present position.

have a nice trip

My experience driving in Thailand has been one of surprise. Having driven all over the country I have been pleasantly surprised how good the roads are. You'll drive on 2 lane duel carrageways between all major towns and cities. Even b roads are fine. So don't be afraid to venture off the beaten track. That's where you'll get a real taste of country Thailand. If you stick to highways you won't see much at all. Most towns look the same. Just be careful when driving in torential rain. Some roads aren't designed with this in mind. Road works are very poorly identified, if at all. You'll also notice a lot of police checkpoints. No worries the police are generally more interested in trying their English. However they will see a Farang as an easy target. 200bht should solve most issues - speeding, not wearing seatbelt and not staying in LH lane. Most signage is in Thai and English. However you may see a sign that says left to *** only to find out the turnoff is still 1km away. Getting through some towns maybe challenging. If you get lost ask a motorbike taxi or tuk tuk to guide you. It may cost 50bht but worth it. If you ask a Thai on the street they maybe too shy to help.

I don't know how good GPS works. I'd stick with a map.

Cars, the new model city is a good unit and should be okay. I drove one recently from Phuket to Bangkok and was impressed.A fortuner would be better but consdierably more expensive. Maybe consider shopping around. I used Thai Rent a Car a few times and always got a better deal, good service and new cars.

Lastly, don't be afraid of sampling local food in villages and towns. It is great.

Enjoy it's a great way to experience Thailand

Thanks for the replies.

4500bht for Vigo. If that is per day you are being ripped off. 2000 to 2500bht per day max. No probs driving main roads at night.

Thanks for the replies.

4500bht for Vigo. If that is per day you are being ripped off. 2000 to 2500bht per day max. No probs driving main roads at night.

maybe it was including the petrol?

Thanks for all the replies, it all makes interesting reading.

The 4500 baht was the extra cost of the double cab Vigo over the City for 16 days. For 16 days they are quoting 16,700 baht for the City, 20,900 baht for the double cab Vigo and 28,400 for the Fortuna. I've had a quick look at all the cars on the internet and the City is a lot more economical to run than the Vigo and the Fortuna which both have similar running costs. We won't be taking much luggage, maybe 2 medium size bags and 2 smaller bags, so I think if we did hire the Vigo we could fit it in the back seat with our children. They also provide a cover for the back so if we did have to put some things in there it would hopefully stay dry. Budget are a big company with quite a lot of offices in Thailand so I guess the cars will be reasonably new. One of the advantages of using them is that I can drop the car off in a different city for no extra charge. They are a bit cheaper than Thai rent a car and there's no excess in case of damage, so it seems a pretty good deal.

So from all the replies so far I'm coming to the following conclusions.

We should be all right with the City but the 4 wheel drives would be better. We are planning on visiting some parks and waterfalls, so we may have difficulty getting to some of these with the City. The compromise is the Vigo, but maybe I should hire the City and then when I want to go to a park find a local driver with a 4 x 4 and hire him for the day. The difference in rental and running costs should easily cover doing this a few times and I assume the City will be better than the Vigo on longer journeys down the highway.

I should definitely get a road map which I can buy in English in Thailand. Presumably that won't be a problem to get in Chiang Mai.

I should try to avoid driving at night but on the odd occasion it should be fine, but I should drive carefully.

I should check out the distances in a bit more detail and try not to cover too much ground.

Any more information and comments will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

John

Also, does anyone know a good website for route planning in Thailand i.e. you put in the start point and destination and it gives you a suggested route. It would be useful to get an idea of distances between places, to see if I'm planning on doing too much. I had a quick look at the Viamichelin website but it doesn't recognise all the places. Is there one that is good for Thailand?

Also, does anyone know a good website for route planning in Thailand i.e. you put in the start point and destination and it gives you a suggested route. It would be useful to get an idea of distances between places, to see if I'm planning on doing too much. I had a quick look at the Viamichelin website but it doesn't recognise all the places. Is there one that is good for Thailand?

a lot of us use maps.google.com. In Thailand. It has names in English & Thai. The 'Get Directions' function is excellent and you go to 'map view' or 'satellite view'. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

YOu are putting far too much planning into something like this IMO.

I would make a basic plan, and then be flexible and go with the flow.

The car is fine if that is what you are used to.

Buy your map in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

Smaller cities or towns won't even know what a map is, let alone sell them.

The GPS will be fine and tell you where the nearest hotels, gas stations, banks, etc are all the time.

Many small towns only have small 400 baht hotels.

They may not have air con, or cable tv.

But, that's why you're going right?

To see Thailand. not the touristy part.

Have fun and good luck.

The car is fine if that is what you are used to.

The GPS will be fine and tell you where the nearest hotels, gas stations, banks, etc are all the time.

Many small towns only have small 400 baht hotels.

They may not have air con, or cable tv.

But, that's why you're going right?

To see Thailand. not the touristy part.

Have fun and good luck.

Agree. Don't overplan. Be flexible. Beware of potholes lurking invisibly under water. Beware long troughs of water in left hand lanes of dual carriageways, where the trucks have settled down the sub-standard road building which was ripped off by the local politico and his mate the contractor.

Make sure your northern map is by Golden Triangle Rider (google their whole site), just excellent!

Never ask directions from a local. If they can answer in English at all it will be total nonsense because they will never admit they don't know.

Above all: enjoy!

For some of us planning is half the fun. But, I also like to plan fairly detailed because it makes me feel more secure...BUT, I still try to remain open to going with the flow. I think there's a nice balance.

Show a Thai a map and...well, let's just say the average Thai is unlikely to be able to figure out a map even if it is in Thai language. Map reading is a skill I think we tend to take for granted.

Cartography was part of my studies back in my college years, so maps interest me. You can buy some good basic roadmaps in the good bookstores in Bangkok. We had trouble up in Ang Thong Province with the Roadway "Thailand Atlas"...just plain wrong in several places. ThinkNet has some regional maps with far more detail, and they seem to have versions that cover just about all of the country.

I remember the 1st time I drove to my wifes home in Issan.

THey were shocked that i could find their town, driving all the way from Phuket (and through Bangkok!)

Apparantly, my wife told some friends about my use of the map.

One of them came over to our house one day to ask me how to get to Bangkok from their village.

I got out the map, showed her the way, made her write down all the turns with the route numbers she would be turning on to.

She then asked me: Where do I get one of those pieces of paper with all the lines on it?

I said: "you have to go to Bangkok to get one of those"

We all had a good laugh.

Many Thais have never seen a map. (and never explored the roads around their towns except what they have to)

All major roads have large petrol stations every 50 to 100kms. They will have maps and most have someone who speaks English. I agree with comments on asking someone in a village or along the road. Unlike home it's surprising how a lot of Thais don't appear to know what's 50kms down the road. Or perhaps they choose not to say.

If most of your time is in the North & North East distances won't be a problem. You can drive comfortably between most major centres in a few hours.

I live near Loei and it's about a 4 hour drive to Chang Mai. Loei to Bangkok is about 450kms and takes about 6 to 7 hours. 4 lanes 90% of the way.

I always find driving in and around Bangkok a huge challenge. Rather than signs to cities/towns etc they signpost major roads or suburbs. You will definitely need a map there.

1. It is rainy season in August. I'm assuming most of the roads will be sealed and will be fine, but will some of the roads be a problem in the more rural and/or mountainous areas?

Generally no problems at all, heavy rain could very well stop you sometimes but it won't be too long before the sun shines again

2. Will both those cars (I don't know those models) cope with the rural and mountainous roads. Are both of these models similar or is one of them better for what I want to do?

4 people of which 2 are kids and I'd say that a City is a bit small, not to mention the Jazz. Don't bring too big tooth brushes. How about an Avanza? It's loud but it's a great family car. I agree that Fortuner is excellent for the job but understand that there is a cost implication.

3. Will I have any trouble using the GPS in English as I don't know if I'll always have an address in English and I don't speak Thai. Would I be better off with a road map?

Over 300,000 km in 56 provinces in Thailand and I have never felt a need for a GPS, never had one actually. Maps are generally pathetically bad in Thailand so finding good maps is difficult. www.gt-rider.com has good maps I have heard, I have never seen them but I do think that they are much better than what normally can be found (concidering the price too, they are not cheap). Read up on the forum, great! source of information

4. Am I trying to drive too far and fit too much in, in the sense that will some of the journey times be very long?

I'll certainly agree that it would be much more fun and better for the kids to go by car but yes, maybe you are stretching it too far to end up in Udon. Kids could get bored spending too much time in the car. I just came back last Monday from a short trip BKK -> Tak (first night), Mae Sot 105 -> Baan Mae Ramung (2nd night) -> Mae Sariang 108 -> Hot -> 1103, 106 Thoen -> Tak (third night). It was a bit too much travelling time for my 5 year old daughter. Cows, buffalos, deer, sheep, hot water springs, swimming in Moei River, sleeping one night in the school in Baan Mae Ramung (small Karen village up in the mountains with no electricity). Great experience for her. What would I do differently? Bring more children :) You may not have the same problem since you have 2 kids

One nice trip that I did 1.5 years ago with my daughter (the opposite way) is Chiang Rai over to Nan, excellent accomodation in Doi Phu Kha national part (probably no need to book in August either unless holiday) the road goes up to over 1,600 meters -> 1256 - 1257 -> 1225 -> 1243 -> 1123 -> 1268 by Na Haew -> 2195 to Chieng Khan. I drove a Toyota Avanza, excellent family car, big! It was so loud at motorway speeds originally that I added sound insulation myself, after that, it's perfect. Nearly 80,000 km all around Thailand, several trips to Phuket, the north, you name it.

Many of the roads I mention are max "250 km per day", it's easy to try plan in too much, mountain roads take time to drive, should take time to drive... :D

Check www.gt-rider.com, you'll enjoy their forum

We should be all right with the City but the 4 wheel drives would be better. We are planning on visiting some parks and waterfalls, so we may have difficulty getting to some of these with the City. The compromise is the Vigo, but maybe I should hire the City and then when I want to go to a park find a local driver with a 4 x 4 and hire him for the day. The difference in rental and running costs should easily cover doing this a few times and I assume the City will be better than the Vigo on longer journeys down the highway.

I should try to avoid driving at night but on the odd occasion it should be fine, but I should drive carefully.

Any more information and comments will be gratefully received.

Certainly agree with other comments that way too much planning is going into something you know little about. Suggest you just relax and take each day as it comes. I have driven all over Thailand and unless you are going seriously off road, you won't need 4x4 anywhere, but a high road clearance vehicle can be more comfortable. Most Thais don't have 4x4. The Jazz and City will rock your bones especially over the numerous concrete surfaced road tops.

Night driving can be dangerous especially up country as that is when most locals are high on booze or amphetamines. The odds are low of encountering trouble overall though I'd say.

I am putting a lot of planning into this but that's because I've got to work out which of the Budget offices to leave the car at and I'm not sure how flexible they will be if I decide to change the office during the holiday. To give us more driving time I'm thinking of flying back to Bangkok from wherever I drop off the car, so that will give me less flexibility. Also, because I'm going with children, I've got to think of things to keep them amused as otherwise my wife and I won't enjoy the holiday as much. It's been a long cold winter in the UK (it was nearly snowing in London last night) and it's fun to plan a trip in a hot far away country!

I was thinking of booking some of the hotels in advance, but that ties us down to having to be in certain places on certain dates. I wanted to head over to the North East as I've been to Nong Khai and along the Mekong before and thought my family would find it interesting. I've also found a few homestay type places in Isaan where we could stay and join in with the daily life in Thailand and meet some Thai children which I thought they'd find fun and would be an eye opener. But I don't want to do that if it's just going to make the whole holiday a rush. That's why I've been asking these questions to try and gauge what will make for a good holiday.

It's 1000 baht to hire the GPS and I thought it would be useful for highlighting the best route between 2 places, particularly if there are no highways between them.

Thanks again for everybody's input.

Already it's helped me decide I'll definitely hire a car.

I am putting a lot of planning into this but that's because I've got to work out which of the Budget offices to leave the car at and I'm not sure how flexible they will be if I decide to change the office during the holiday. To give us more driving time I'm thinking of flying back to Bangkok from wherever I drop off the car, so that will give me less flexibility. Also, because I'm going with children, I've got to think of things to keep them amused as otherwise my wife and I won't enjoy the holiday as much. It's been a long cold winter in the UK (it was nearly snowing in London last night) and it's fun to plan a trip in a hot far away country!

I was thinking of booking some of the hotels in advance, but that ties us down to having to be in certain places on certain dates. I wanted to head over to the North East as I've been to Nong Khai and along the Mekong before and thought my family would find it interesting. I've also found a few homestay type places in Isaan where we could stay and join in with the daily life in Thailand and meet some Thai children which I thought they'd find fun and would be an eye opener. But I don't want to do that if it's just going to make the whole holiday a rush. That's why I've been asking these questions to try and gauge what will make for a good holiday.

It's 1000 baht to hire the GPS and I thought it would be useful for highlighting the best route between 2 places, particularly if there are no highways between them.

Since your planning this in August, I'll let you know how it goes with my TomTom GO750 'Live' navigation system. I bought this in Germany just recently. It was absolutrly brilliant over there. I would've gotten lost on many an occasion without it.

There is no 'Live' net work for TomTom Navs in Thailand yet, but I have just downloaded the latest functioning Thailand map. I'll be in Thailand in a few days and I'll let you know how it goes with the quality of the map POI's (points of interest). I'll be going to Bangkok and through Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai plus rural areas.

I'll see if it lives up to its promises stated below:

Thailand v8.45

Download 76.0 MB

Detailed map of Thailand

Map coverage statistics: detailed street network covering 99% of all roads in Thailand

additional information: 766,000 km of roads and 468,000 points of interest are available.

Booking hotels in advance maybe unwise,except for major centres. Like everywhere else what pics you'll see on the web most likely aren't what you'll receive. I've seen so called resorts in the country miles from nowhere and in crappy areas. Having said this, there's nothing more frustrating than finding a place to stay at the end of a days driving. Allow yourself plenty of time if you're going to look on arrival. The homestay sounds great. Maybe a couple of days at a beachside location may appease the kids. Hua Hin and surrounding areas have some nice spots. Not great beaches but a nice change.

Good luck with driving in Bangkok. Maybe have rental car company pick car up from your hotel or drop off at airport.

Again have fun.

Google maps is really useful for getting an idea of the distances between places. Does anyone have any idea if the estimated driving times they give are accurate?

Garry, I've got a Tom Tom in the UK so I would be interested to hear how you get on using the Thailand Map on your Tom Tom. I can download the Thailand map to my GPS for the equivalent of 2,000 baht so that could be another option.

From reading all the advice, I've already changed my routing and am now thinking of picking up the car in Korat and dropping it off in Chiang Mai. The homestays/small guesthouses I'm thinking of staying at are in Isaan and that's where I'm likely to have to book as they're only a couple of rooms in one case. Then I'll have a lot more flexibility when I head over to the North and won't book up in advance and we can change our route if we feel like it. The only area I really want to have a look around in the north is Nan. Maybe also Chiang Dao.

I'd already decided I won't drive in Bangkok!

Google maps is really useful for getting an idea of the distances between places. Does anyone have any idea if the estimated driving times they give are accurate?

Garry, I've got a Tom Tom in the UK so I would be interested to hear how you get on using the Thailand Map on your Tom Tom. I can download the Thailand map to my GPS for the equivalent of 2,000 baht so that could be another option.

From reading all the advice, I've already changed my routing and am now thinking of picking up the car in Korat and dropping it off in Chiang Mai. The homestays/small guesthouses I'm thinking of staying at are in Isaan and that's where I'm likely to have to book as they're only a couple of rooms in one case. Then I'll have a lot more flexibility when I head over to the North and won't book up in advance and we can change our route if we feel like it. The only area I really want to have a look around in the north is Nan. Maybe also Chiang Dao.

I'd already decided I won't drive in Bangkok!

I will also be using my new map through Bangkok and down south towards Hua Hin. This should give a me good idea of the map quality and its POI's.

Fingers crossed its all good :)

I would say the Fortuner or Vigo will prove to be worth the extra,

Extra room, higher driving position. Better ground clearance etc.

if you are going to spend a lot of time on the road, I reckon the bigger the car the better.

as for driving, if anything with the better visibility you might find the Vigo/Fortuner easier. Probably better equipped than the Honda too - power steering, electric everything, air etc etc -

whether or not they have sat-nav - I would say is pretty much unnecessary.

maps are pretty useless on small roads but really from one town to the next the main roads are fine, and finding your way should be no problem at all.

I would check, but the Vigo and Fortuner should also be diesel which is a bit cheaper than gasoline at the pump - so you will off-set a bit there, also the Jazz will have to work harder to cope with a full load, so I wouldn't bank on the fuel consumption figures being quite what they claim.

As i said before, if you want to drive up any of the side-roads - e.g. to the hil-tribe villages, you may well be glad of a 4WD with high ground clearance.

Edited by Deeral

I would say the Fortuner or Vigo will prove to be worth the extra,

Extra room, higher driving position. Better ground clearance etc.

if you are going to spend a lot of time on the road, I reckon the bigger the car the better.

as for driving, if anything with the better visibility you might find the Vigo/Fortuner easier. Probably better equipped than the Honda too - power steering, electric everything, air etc etc -

whether or not they have sat-nav - I would say is pretty much unnecessary.

maps are pretty useless on small roads but really from one town to the next the main roads are fine, and finding your way should be no problem at all.

I would check, but the Vigo and Fortuner should also be diesel which is a bit cheaper than gasoline at the pump - so you will off-set a bit there, also the Jazz will have to work harder to cope with a full load, so I wouldn't bank on the fuel consumption figures being quite what they claim.

As i said before, if you want to drive up any of the side-roads - e.g. to the hil-tribe villages, you may well be glad of a 4WD with high ground clearance.

fuel is pretty much the same for vigo diesel and city/jazz, and approx 10% more for fortuner diesel due to dual air and full time 4x4

do you have the figures?

I drive very fast, highway 160km/h cruisingspeed

2006 yaris (similar to city/jazz), 9-10 km/l at 32 baht/litres

2004, 2006, 2010 vigo 3,0d 4x4 auto 4 door, 9-11 km/l at 28 baht/litres, if loaded with 600-900kg and load outside body 140 km/h only, 10-12km/l

2005 fortuner 3,0d auto 4x4, 10-12 km/l at 28 baht/litres

2007 Camry 2,4 auto 7 km/l at 32 baht/litres

2008 Accord 2,4 auto 8 km/l at 32 baht/litres

my own vehicles, each 40-90k km