Good Indian Restaurant

ChiangMaiFun

Down that part of the world, only Le Spice springs to mind.

Open fronted place up the small soi to the south of the Galare Centre. Effectively right round the back of The Red Lion.

Friendly people, good service and value - with food only marginally inferior to Royal India, effectively behind the UNIrish Pub, off Rachawittee Rd. And 'cos it's the Night Bazaar, Le Spice is a tad more expensive than it should be.

Royal India gets my vote. Been around for years. Haven't been to the new location up behind the Irish pub, but I've had their food from Meals on wheels a number of times. Very nice!

Another one that gets rave reviews at the moment is Hinlay Curry House, turn right after Good View. Again, haven't been there but Meals on Wheels (TV Sponsor) will bring you their food in a jiffy!

I know these arn't strictly in Changklan area, but a short tuk-tuk ride will get you there! or order it in!

In the Changklan area you have Le Spice as already mentioned, The Whole Earth and I believe The Chedi Hotel have an Indian cook, though I have never tried the curry there.

The Whole Earth have a limited and reasonably expensive curry selection, but nice setting, and Thai food if your other half doesnt fancy curry!

Iain

No problem parking at Royal India. There's a big parking area for all the bars there.

And I agree 100% with all the comments by Flatout and the Millwall Fan.

I'm not a vegetarian but I've found they do the veggie dishes best at Royal India, imho.

No problem parking at Royal India. There's a big parking area for all the bars there.

I'm not a vegetarian but I've found they do the veggie dishes best at Royal India, imho.

great! I promised a date to try Indian - I lived there for a year - and she has been told all Indian food is inedible (if this were true I'd be very slim after a year!)

great! I promised a date to try Indian - I lived there for a year - and she has been told all Indian food is inedible (if this were true I'd be very slim after a year!)

If the only Indian food she has eaten has been in CM, I reckon she'll be proved right.

Indian food in CM is average at best :)

I like Royal India too. It is not great, but it is OK, which is pretty good for here. I always get the veggie set dinner (Thali?). It is tasty and very inexpensive.

Royal India gets my vote. Been around for years. Haven't been to the new location up behind the Irish pub, but I've had their food from Meals on wheels a number of times. Very nice!

Another one that gets rave reviews at the moment is Hinlay Curry House, turn right after Good View. Again, haven't been there but Meals on Wheels (TV Sponsor) will bring you their food in a jiffy!

I know these arn't strictly in Changklan area, but a short tuk-tuk ride will get you there! or order it in!

A bit more help is needed for the directionally challenged. Turn right where? Then what?

If the only Indian food she has eaten has been in CM, I reckon she'll be proved right.

Indian food in CM is average at best :)

I like Royal India too. It is not great, but it is OK, which is pretty good for here. I always get the veggie set dinner (Thali?). It is tasty and very inexpensive.

both the above are spot on. If you want a really good Indian, go to Bangkok, but that's a bit far for a Ruby.

BTW the chef at the Chedi is a Kiwi, though he might have an Indain assistant. The Lamb curry is excellent there. Pricy though as you'd expect from such an establishment!

Hinlay Curry House

A bit more help is needed for the directionally challenged. Turn right where? Then what?

Do you know where Flora Condo is? If so it's simply turn left as your exit the condo and it's 100 yards up on the same side.

If not then then leaving town cross Nawarat bridge then hang a left so you have Riverside/Good View on your left. Continue on and turn right as you approach Brasserie - there is a tiny car show room on your right maye Isuzu - then it's left at the T and first right and 100 yards down on your right. Flora Condo will be just beyond.

Before you head that way a bit about Hinlay: No Indian cooks/chefs to be seen. The owner is Thai who is passionate about Indian food and the restaurant is in his substantial front yard (plenty of parking just inside the compund on the right beyond the restaurant) but this is not a competitor to Le Spice as all they serve is curries so if it's Thails and nan you are after then head elsewhere but at last count he had approaching 20 curries listed including vegetarian options.

Recommendation? Rogan Josh / Hinlay Pork / Pumpkin curry. Prices of these were something like 95 and 45 for the pumpkin couple of months back.

Usual disclaimer: Not the owner etc but live local and been there many a time.

Don't go to the Royal India if you expect a nice clean place with

clean tables and cutlery, it really isn't 'nice' in anyway.

If I were you, I'd get meals on wheels to deliver, and imagine it came

from some nice clean place instead!

David

David

I had meals on wheels deliver once from Royal India. The curry I ordered was 50% oil and 50% something else - quite inedible. I have eaten at Hinlay and Le Spice - I have been satisfied at both.

so Royal is in the next soi to UN?

Walk past the UN (on your right) about 100 yards, then turn right - you will see it facing you at the end of the turning. You have to go past another Indian restaurant, which I believe is called The New Delhi or something like that. :)

so Royal is in the next soi to UN?

Walk past the UN (on your right) about 100 yards, then turn right - you will see it facing you at the end of the turning. You have to go past another Indian restaurant, which I believe is called The New Delhi or something like that. :)

got it - thanks

Hinlay Curry House

Do you know where Flora Condo is? If so it's simply turn left as your exit the condo and it's 100 yards up on the same side.

If not then then leaving town cross Nawarat bridge then hang a left so you have Riverside/Good View on your left. Continue on and turn right as you approach Brasserie - there is a tiny car show room on your right maye Isuzu - then it's left at the T and first right and 100 yards down on your right. Flora Condo will be just beyond.

Before you head that way a bit about Hinlay: No Indian cooks/chefs to be seen. The owner is Thai who is passionate about Indian food and the restaurant is in his substantial front yard (plenty of parking just inside the compund on the right beyond the restaurant) but this is not a competitor to Le Spice as all they serve is curries so if it's Thails and nan you are after then head elsewhere but at last count he had approaching 20 curries listed including vegetarian options.

Recommendation? Rogan Josh / Hinlay Pork / Pumpkin curry. Prices of these were something like 95 and 45 for the pumpkin couple of months back.

Usual disclaimer: Not the owner etc but live local and been there many a time.

Was by there today for the first time. Looks like they've extended their menu to include most of what you can order at Le Spice. Tried the pumpkin curry and the chicken phall. Tasty but I'm no expert. I will happily go back. They're open until 9 PM, closed Sundays.

First I've heard they have expanded beyond curries and slightly surprised as it was often a one man show in there so hopefully there are additional staff on hand. Back in town in 10 days so will drop buy and see how things are.

Apologies for misimforming.

David

My thoughts exactly. Got 2 dishes once on delivery, great food. Then I went inside, it`s not very clean, it`s open-air and the area around smells bad. I haven`t had a bad experience for Indian food in CM, but I`m not that picky. The 1st time at New Delhi, my friend and I waited 1:45, I know they make 1 dish at a time, but that`s unacceptable-great food though, esp. yellow rice. Anusarn market, Asma I believe, is good and cheap. Spicy Bollywood, Moon Muang 6 , is pricey but good, 170 for butter chicken I think. But well run and a nice spot. Le Spice I liked as well. Hard to choose a favourite, I love Indian food!

Thought I'd update you - went along to the Royal India - to be honest it was dirty, the tables awful and the menus encased in plastic 100 years old - yuk! just could not eat there - so went to the Delhi restaraunt around the corner which was marginally better - although they had never heard of vegetable Birani and had no Kingfisher (a real let down) me and my girl had a fairly decent meal there - but I have to abandon all hope of a decent Indian meal in CNX.

I notice that Taste of Heaven has an Indian selection - but I don't like it there as they levy a 10% service charge and I avoid restaraunts that do that - preferring to give to the staff myself.

Thought I'd update you - went along to the Royal India - to be honest it was dirty, the tables awful and the menus encased in plastic 100 years old

I've never been to a decent Indian restaurant that did not fit this description - Very authentic. :)

Le Spice has been a favourite for some years, until our last visit in January, we noticed the faces were all different, but the menu was unchanged and my favourite Mutton Rogan Josh was still very tasty.

All was well until about 6 hours later, when one by one, the three of us succumbed to food poisoning, I'm not talking about a bit of Bangkok belly, but full on food poisoning, the wife was worst affected taking about three days to get back to any food. We haven't been since.

I remember at the Royal India's old location along Charoenpratet Road watching rats scurry from the bathroom across the dining floor. I have been to India and as UG says the experience at RI is authentic Indian. The food was great though but I avoid meat dishes there just in case.

Hinlay is clean and the food delicious. The compound and house used to belong to Anna Leonowen's son Louis when he was the manager of one of the teak trading companies in Chiang Mai. The current owner is the granddaughter of Willaim Blain another teak company manager. Try to include the William Blain museum at Wat Kate just around the corner with a visit to Hinlay for lunch. It's an eclectic slice of 30s and 40s expat life.

Thought I'd update you - went along to the Royal India - to be honest it was dirty, the tables awful and the menus encased in plastic 100 years old

I've never been to a decent Indian restaurant that did not fit this description - Very authentic. :)

haha funny... but, I lived in India for year (working there God help me) and have visited 10 times, it maybe be accurate about downtown Mumbai but there are some very, very clean and classy Indian restaraunts - anyhow it is what it is

I went to Royal India just after it opened at the new location and was fairly pleasantly surprised. Understand that I had very low expectations. Third time I went - shocking service - that woman was uttering stuff through gritted teeth, table nearby just got up and left. We should have too, will never go back. The New Delhi nearby seems always empty - that always means something. No Indian in Chiang Mai - the Hinlay sounds interesting though.

I like Hinlay a lot...but a little perspective is needed...

1) It's not Indian (no Indian staff) and 2) the curries are microwaved. I don't have a problem with that, apart from the odd times that they come out ice cold in the middle (happened 3 out of the 4/5 times I have been there).

To be honest, I have had it delivered by the forum sponsor a few times and it has been excellent...because you can always pop it in the microwave at home to be sure... It's also the cheapest by far, but the portions are not large...

I'm not a fanatic about Indian food.

Lived in Uttar Pradesh and the Punjab in the early 70's.

Spent a bit of time in Karachi, Pakistan as well in that same time frame.

For the Brits, this is rather like their "second food", ie ethnic food from somewhere else that they adore, much like we in America see Mexican cuisine (or much earlier- Italian, French, Greek, etc.)

If anyone comes up with a rave review of some Indian food resto here in CM, please share it.