Motorbike Madness!

Jezz

We all know that motorbiking in Thailand requires ultimate care. I can't beleive the madness I see almost daily in my small Isaan village. Just now I watched a young boy of about 12 years being pushed on a bicycle with a long bamboo rod attached to a following motorbike doing about 60 kilometres per hour through our small village soi which is a straight, concrete strip passing houses where youngsters play in the road. There's a a bad pothole outside our house which I've paid to have patched, but after a few days it's ripped up by heavy lorries and I constantly hear judders and thumps as bikers swerve around it. At night, drunk youngsters roar down the road, regardless of kids, dogs and potholes. My father-in-law has just come out of hospital after two months with a severely broken leg after being knocked off his motorbike by a youth speeding through the village.

I ride a Honda Click - without much enjoyment anymore after seeing so much stupidity and carnage - not just here in isaan, but still can't blot out the memories of death and maiming on the roads during my years in Pattaya, Samui and Phuket. And - Songkran approaches. I think I'll stay indoors!

Yeah, crazy is the word.

Years ago when I first stayed at my wifes house there was a group of youngsters annoying the hel_l out of me by roaring up and down the soi on some old stepthru with an open exhaust.

If any of them were older than 12 I would have been surprised.

The bike eventually gave up the ghost and despite their best efforts the kids could not get it going again.

Even better, or so I thought, a cop arrived on the scene.

Time for some justice!

Nothing of the kind.

The cop got off his bike and helped the kids get theirs going again and they resumed the racing up and down the soi.

Madness!!!

Every Saturday and Sunday at about 1:30 a.m. gangs of motorbikes race up and down our main street for about an hour. The police claim they never saw anyone. Nearly every week I hear ambulances, but usually not near my house. Last week after hearing a siren ouside I went to have a look, and a very beautiful teenaged girl, looked like about 13 or 14, was lying dead in the road after hitting a parked car. All her friends ran away without even checking to see how badly she was hurt, only myself and a few local security staff even came to look, even though there must be at least a thousand people living in the condo bloc opposite. The police called someone to take the body to the hospital, the girl's broken body was thrown into the back of a pickup without even being placed in a plastic body bag, and the "emergency service" vehicle drove off with it.

It is horrifying to see how little this meant to the Thais. It was just the same as seeing the carcass of a dog being disposed of. Even after almost 40 years of living in Thailand, you never get used to it.

Edited by stolidfeline

Jezz, I completely know where you're coming from. Yesterday, a physical therapist we know finished her job for the day. Her husband picked her up on the scooter. They didn't quite make 50 meters when a car just pulled out of a parking space *at speed* and knocked them both into the hospital. The unusual thing was they always drive with the lights on (unusual for around here, at least). It's not *always* the scooter's fault, but most times it is. Horror stories abound.

There is a 9-year-old here who pillions 2 kids at a time. Alone, he's actually an amazing rider. If he doesn't lose his lack of fear, he could be great in the future. But...no lights, no helmet, and pretty sure there's nothing coming through the intersection in the next 2 seconds...

Where I live in Issan, even the main roads go through villages. Dogs in the road, kids in the road, bikes in the road where the drunk kids just leave them, bikes with no lights, not to mention the tak-taks...

That's why I refuse to ride at night. I'm even afraid to drive my pickup at night, but at least I've got half a chance if something or somebody nails me (hoping that the laws of physics come down on my side if that happens).

Every Saturday and Sunday at about 1:30 a.m. gangs of motorbikes race up and down our main street for about an hour. The police claim they never saw anyone. Nearly every week I hear ambulances, but usually not near my house. Last week after hearing a siren ouside I went to have a look, and a very beautiful teenaged girl, looked like about 13 or 14, was lying dead in the road after hitting a parked car. All her friends ran away without even checking to see how badly she was hurt, only myself and a few local security staff even came to look, even though there must be at least a thousand people living in the condo bloc opposite. The police called someone to take the body to the hospital, the girl's broken body was thrown into the back of a pickup without even being placed in a plastic body bag, and the "emergency service" vehicle drove off with it.

It is horrifying to see how little this meant to the Thais. It was just the same as seeing the carcass of a dog being disposed of. Even after almost 40 years of living in Thailand, you never get used to it.

Absolutely. Even the doctor treating my father-in-law in hospital took a week off after both his parents were killed in a road accident last week.

Jezz, I completely know where you're coming from. Yesterday, a physical therapist we know finished her job for the day. Her husband picked her up on the scooter. They didn't quite make 50 meters when a car just pulled out of a parking space *at speed* and knocked them both into the hospital. The unusual thing was they always drive with the lights on (unusual for around here, at least). It's not *always* the scooter's fault, but most times it is. Horror stories abound.

There is a 9-year-old here who pillions 2 kids at a time. Alone, he's actually an amazing rider. If he doesn't lose his lack of fear, he could be great in the future. But...no lights, no helmet, and pretty sure there's nothing coming through the intersection in the next 2 seconds...

Where I live in Issan, even the main roads go through villages. Dogs in the road, kids in the road, bikes in the road where the drunk kids just leave them, bikes with no lights, not to mention the tak-taks...

That's why I refuse to ride at night. I'm even afraid to drive my pickup at night, but at least I've got half a chance if something or somebody nails me (hoping that the laws of physics come down on my side if that happens).

Same here, i never drive the bike at night...nighttime is calling for the car/pickup ...its just a safer bet for all the things that happens in the dark here...dogs, drunks,vehicle without lights...

happy & safe trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Wow... with the picture you guys are painting I actually feel 'safe' on the mean streets of Bangkok :)

I'd say Bangkok is safer than around here!

Wow... with the picture you guys are painting I actually feel 'safe' on the mean streets of Bangkok :)

I **AM** in Bangkok. And I see at least 3 accidents every day. I see someone killed about once a week, and TBH, I don't even go out that much!

I might add that I would never, under any conditions whatsoever, ride on a motorcycle here in Thailand. The odds are stacked against you. I know not a single Thai person here who has not had an accident and has the scars all over to prove it.

I know it should not make any difference, but if you could just see this beautiful young girl's life snuffed out, because of the total lack of law enforcement, you would have cried just as I did.

I **AM** in Bangkok. And I see at least 3 accidents every day. I see someone killed about once a week, and TBH, I don't even go out that much!

Goodness, what neighborhood do you live in?! I've lived in the Big Mango for about 5 years, assorted neighborhoods- Sukhumvit, Ramkamhaeng, Rama III and Minburi, and am actually pretty surprised at how few accidents I've seen considering the 'skills' of the drivers and volume of vehicles on the roads.

Goodness, what neighborhood do you live in?! I've lived in the Big Mango for about 5 years, assorted neighborhoods- Sukhumvit, Ramkamhaeng, Rama III and Minburi, and am actually pretty surprised at how few accidents I've seen considering the 'skills' of the drivers and volume of vehicles on the roads.

Come on, 3 accidents a day without going out much? I have to call BS on that. I ride in Bangkok every day and see a bike accident now and then but not more than one or two a month, normally minor prangs.

Your condo doesn't overlook the go-cart track behind Seacon Square by any chance does it? :)

Yes I must agree with BBB, I been living in BKK-Phuket and now Patts and are quite amazed how few accidents happen considered the number of scooters/bikes buzzing in/out and all over the place. It could be much better off course and stop drive when drunk would be a good starting point.

I am not in the habit of posting BS.

I do live in a road that is notorious for motorcycle racing. There are several in Bangkok which the Police studiously avoid visiting.

There is a lot of white paint on this road, kinda people shaped. And some on the sidewalk too :-)

Kids will be kids. I know I have done some stupid things for the thrill of it. As I get older, I do fewer and fewer of these things as my sense of mortality grows.

I also call BS on the 3 accidents/week comment.  

Plus, particularly in areas where helmets use is prevalent like BKK, these motorbike accidents when they happen are usually not too bad.  These are not motorcycle accidents - these are slow speed scooter accidents usually. 

Edited by witold

During a First Aid course I attended once, the nurse teaching it asked what we thought was the leading cause of death in our countries (Canada, USA, UK, etc.) Most people replied, cancer, heart attack, etc. She said yes, heart disease. Now she asked what we thought was the leading cause of death in Thailand, I said motorcycle accidents, she said yes, trauma of one sort or another........a sad statistic.

I too see far to many white spray painted outlines on the road.........

I might add that I would never, under any conditions whatsoever, ride on a motorcycle here in Thailand. The odds are stacked against you. I know not a single Thai person here who has not had an accident and has the scars all over to prove it.

I know it should not make any difference, but if you could just see this beautiful young girl's life snuffed out, because of the total lack of law enforcement, you would have cried just as I did.

What can law enforcement do to improve thigns when someone crashes into a parked car as you said was the case with the young girl?

What can law enforcement do to improve thigns when someone crashes into a parked car as you said was the case with the young girl?

It's an uphill struggle but it would help if the Police were a little more preemptive and actually did some law enforcement instead of just turning up after the event.

If these 'races' are a regular occurrence then the police could at least patrol the area on race nights and do their best to stop people attending.

Another step would be to actually enforce the law regards to riding a motorcycle. Higher standards re training and gaining a licence would be a start.

Unfortunately there seems to be little motivation on anyone's part to reduce the death toll on the roads here.

Same here, i never drive the bike at night...nighttime is calling for the car/pickup ...its just a safer bet for all the things that happens in the dark here...dogs, drunks,vehicle without lights...

happy & safe trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

I won't even drive my truck at night. sure as heck, some drunk kid will cream into it, and being a farang, it will be my fault.

Let's not forget we ARE in a developing country. The rule of law here is not as strictly enforced and we see the results from the carnage on the roads. Having said that, you can definitely see that in areas where laws ARE enforced and fines levied that motorists DO for the most part comply. I don't think many Thais wear helmets for safety, but rather to avoid paying a fine. In places like Bangkok and Phuket where the cops DO issue fines for helmet violations we see a LOT more motorcyclists wearing helmets. Happy Trails! Tony

Where I live in the US, if you get caught going over 85 mph on your sportbike on the highway, you have a good chance of serving jail time.  The faster you go, the more likely and longer the jail time.  Serving 15-20 days in jail for simple speeding(!) happens, which sounds pretty crazy to me.  At the very least, you are facing a few thousand bucks in lawyer and court costs.  Maybe suspended sentence.  Quite likely suspended license.

I like Thailand for the freedom to do as one pleases.  I would rather have a place with too much freedom than too little.  I don't want Thailand to follow the enforcement path that many states in the US have taken.  

Where I live in the US, if you get caught going over 85 mph on your sportbike on the highway, you have a good chance of serving jail time.  The faster you go, the more likely and longer the jail time.  Serving 15-20 days in jail for simple speeding(!) happens, which sounds pretty crazy to me.  At the very least, you are facing a few thousand bucks in lawyer and court costs.  Maybe suspended sentence.  Quite likely suspended license.

I like Thailand for the freedom to do as one pleases.  I would rather have a place with too much freedom than too little.  I don't want Thailand to follow the enforcement path that many states in the US have taken.  

Maybe you should speak with my mother in law who's eldest son was killed by a drunk driver who went on to payoff the police to escape any punishment.

Ask her what she thinks of the lack of law enforcement on the roads here.

Where I live in the US, if you get caught going over 85 mph on your sportbike on the highway, you have a good chance of serving jail time. The faster you go, the more likely and longer the jail time. Serving 15-20 days in jail for simple speeding(!) happens, which sounds pretty crazy to me. At the very least, you are facing a few thousand bucks in lawyer and court costs. Maybe suspended sentence. Quite likely suspended license.

I like Thailand for the freedom to do as one pleases. I would rather have a place with too much freedom than too little. I don't want Thailand to follow the enforcement path that many states in the US have taken.

Very well said!!!

Where I live in the US, if you get caught going over 85 mph on your sportbike on the highway, you have a good chance of serving jail time. The faster you go, the more likely and longer the jail time. Serving 15-20 days in jail for simple speeding(!) happens, which sounds pretty crazy to me. At the very least, you are facing a few thousand bucks in lawyer and court costs. Maybe suspended sentence. Quite likely suspended license.

I like Thailand for the freedom to do as one pleases. I would rather have a place with too much freedom than too little. I don't want Thailand to follow the enforcement path that many states in the US have taken.

Very well said!!!

As I posted above, ask my mother in law what she thinks of the system that allowed the drunk driver who killed her son to pay off the police and escape punishment.

3 a week! Doubtful.

I have traveled two time a week Bangkok Pattaya for 2.5 years and only saw 3 fatal accidents in all that time.

Truth is that motorbikes and car drivers are pretty crap out here, only this morning I had a merc pull out from doing a uturn right in front of me, I skidded while trying to miss him and the fool had the balls to honk back at me and start flashing his lights at me when I passed him. Fecker, I hope he comes a cropper.

But back on topic about motorcycles! There is no way would I ever ride one in Bangkok as there are too many mad car drivers about.

3 a week! Doubtful.

I have traveled two time a week Bangkok Pattaya for 2.5 years and only saw 3 fatal accidents in all that time.

Truth is that motorbikes and car drivers are pretty crap out here, only this morning I had a merc pull out from doing a uturn right in front of me, I skidded while trying to miss him and the fool had the balls to honk back at me and start flashing his lights at me when I passed him. Fecker, I hope he comes a cropper.

But back on topic about motorcycles! There is no way would I ever ride one in Bangkok as there are too many mad car drivers about.

not to mention the old ladies with big flower pots :)