Recieving Usa Benefits

Can anyone tell me if the USA can direct deposit a SS Pension check into a Thai Bank.

I have contacted SS Administration but all I got back was a canned message stating the information was on their web site. I looked on their web site but the information is not clear.

Thanks

I am sorry to say,NO they cannot deposit in a thai bank,If thai banking had electronic transfer they could,or they can send you a paper check and you can deposit it and wait a month for the cash to be there.

I have tried everything,so what I do now is have it put in my US bank,along with my union pension checks,as the union will not deposit outside of the USA even with elect.transfer. Then I go to my bank here with my VISA ATM/check card and have the money transfered to my Thai bank,cheaper too,as the fee for that is 60 baht.

I checked with every bank in thailand,even citibank,I was going to open a citibank acct. there and transfer,but they told me they couldn't do it..now thats what I have found..

AFAIK it would require a US banking number and Thai banks do not have them, although it may be possible to a bank like Bangkok Bank who have an office in the USA. Most people just keep a US account and transfer money here as needed. Are you sure you want to cut all financial ties? It can be very helpful having a US credit card and dollar account at times.

Thanks for your quick replies.

I should have mentioned in my posting that I am a US Citizen living in the UK and get my money by direct deposit from the SSA.

I plan on keeping my current bank accounts and cards but I was under the impression that if one was to retire to Thailand, the Thai government required us to show that the money in a Thai bank account came for overseas.

Thanks again for your help.

That is also correct,but you cannot transfer money even from a bank here with branches in the states,I even tried to open an acct at CITIBANK and they won't transfer from US to here,, I went in to get my visa and they wanted to see proof of transfer,I explained to them why I couldnt do it,even had a copy of a letter from a friend in the SSA office that said why they could not deposit here,and copys of letters from the unions stating that they would not deposit foreign,and also I have internet banking,so I ran copys off as to my ATM withdraws and all were here,they took my explanations and said Ok and didnt even want to look at the proof. Just like when they want to see your notorized letter from the US Embassy that states how much you make a year,you go to the embassy and tell them how much you make,they notorize what ever you say,with out looking at anything,you pay for the notary $30 and take it back to Thai Imm. and they look at it and take it for gospel.

You will find that the Thai are crazy for paperwork,they love it even tho they put in on puters they only work from hardcopys.so be prepared and take plenty of it with you when ever you go to any official office.

but like I said,I done my first transfer with my VISA ATM/check card and cost 60baht,so thats the way I gonna do it from now on,been trying for 3 years to find a way.and this works,you can do a SWIFT but it will cost more than $20 from what I hear.

I plan on keeping my current bank accounts and cards but I was under the impression that if one was to retire to Thailand, the Thai government required us to show that the money in a Thai bank account came for overseas.

Most people do this by making wire transfers from your foreign account into your Thai account every few months.

Citibank will only open an account for foreigners under the following circumstances:

1) a non-immigrant visa

minimum opening balance is 2 million baht

exception for deposit is if you are

a)a citigold account holder in the US or other country outside of Thailand.

However, this account will be considered a non-resident account

To get a resident account you will need one of the following

1) a valid work permit or ....

2) a house registration book

Draw back about Citibank is that they only have 1 branch on Sathorn Road. Seems foreign banks are only allowed 1 branch in Thailand?

(I got one and it is yellow. Kind of funny as the Thai translations says "foreigners living in Thailand illegally") But this works for all Thai government offices. I got Thai drivers license with this and opened resident bank account. Never a need to go to US Embassy to get document anymore (ex. drivers license).

I think the advice for foreigners who are retiring here with pension checks is to do what an earlier poster recommended.....go to the US Embassy and get it notorized. They never check what they are signing. They seem to get annoyed when you tell to look for the areas. Just tell me where to sign is their attitute.

Yes, the banks use a swift account located in New York. There are no electronic numbers.

I would recommend that you apply first and see if the proof of funds does the trick. My advice is to dress nicely and do not lose your temper. I have witnessed retirees lose their temper and they get absolutely no where. Actually, I think the situation gets worse.

Check other threads about retiree visa on this web site. They will have much more up to date info and exactly what steps you will need to take.

They do like alot of papers. Get a document signed by the US Embassy. Have someone traslate it. There is no need to use a professioanl company. Give them bank balance statementsof your accounts in the US. Fill up the file!

Another alternative but I do not recommend is to bring your checkbook and write a cehck and deposit it to your Thai bank account. This process takes 30 days!

It is much better to use a ATM card and withdraw funds from here. Do make sure your ATM card is not about to expire before you come though. A lot of banks will not send them here. You may want to enquire if they will give you a longer expiration date.

Good luck.

I use Thai Farmer's (Kaisakorn?) and they have a branch in Los Angeles. I just had some money transferred into my account here through there, and it was very quick. Not sure what charges were attached, as I have yet to check.

Thai Farmers Bank Public Co  

350 S Grand Ave # 3050, Los Angeles, CA 90071

Phone: (213) 680-9331

They may have other branches in such places as NY. Worth checking into anyway