Thai Songkran Road Toll Tops Last Year On Day 1

webfact

Songkran road toll tops last year on Day 1

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Fortyfive people were killed and 607 others injured on the first day of the Songkran Festival or Thai New Year, the Road Safety Centre announced yesterday.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Anucha Mokhaves said there were 557 road accidents on Monday alone, which was 165 more cases than the same period last year. Drunken drivers were still the major cause of road accidents.

Most accidents involved motorcycles and happened during nighttime, he said.

The highest number of accidents-23- occurred in Nakhon Sawan.

Nakhon Ratchasima, Surat Thani and Ubon Ratchathani had the highest death tolls at three each, whereas Phitsanulok had the highest number of injuries at 27.

The checkpoints on main roads and highways stopped 547, 562 vehicles and officials arrested 48,566 people -including 15,948 for driving without a licence and 15,373 for not wearing a helmet.

Driving under the influence of alcohol was the main factor in the road casualties, especially among those not wearing a helmet. Anucha urged police officers to seriously punish such traffic law violators to reduce road accidents.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-14

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's 24 more people than died last Saturday in Bangkok during the riots.

And 12 more than die on average each day of the year throughout Thailand.

I'm surprised the road deaths and injuries aren't more than they are. The real numbers are likely more than is reported, as the statistics mostly reflect those who go and get registered at hospitals. Certainly not all injuries are reported.

Every day that I'm out driving on Thai roads, I see ultra selfish / ignorant driving. If I didn't drive defensively and slowly like a little old lady on Quaaludes, I would have been a statistic many times over. It's particularly grievous to see adults (supposedly 'adults') endangering children, theirs and others. It's bad enough when so-called adults get maimed and killed, but let's protect the kids.

Edited by brahmburgers

I'm surprised the road deaths and injuries aren't more than they are. The real numbers are likely more than is reported, as the statistics mostly reflect those who go and get registered at hospitals. Certainly not all injuries are reported.

Every day that I'm out driving on Thai roads, I see ultra selfish / ignorant driving. If I didn't drive defensively and slowly like a little old lady on Quaaludes, I would have been a statistic many times over. It's particularly grievous to see adults (supposedly 'adults') endangering children, theirs and others. It's bad enough when so-called adults get maimed and killed, but let's protect the kids.

//deleted//

I agree the real numbers will probably be a lot higher than reported, I read somewhere that deaths and accidents are higher than reported, due to people not reporting and also bodies being removed from the scene of accidents before authoritys know about them..A sad state of affairs and a sad loss of life every year, the statistics for road deaths in Thailand are appalling.

Edited by webfact
derogatory comment directed towards all Thais deleted //Admin

A recent UN report into traffic accidents worldwide suggested that the figures for deaths in Thailand were about double the official figures, about 24000 per year.

As stated above the under reporting is due to deaths other than at the scene not being included in the official statistics.

It seems, cars, motorcycles, alcohol, stupidity and water arnt a good mix.

Nothing will change, actually that probably incorrect due to the fact as the population increases there are more potential victims per square kilometre. :)

//deleted//

I agree the real numbers will probably be a lot higher than reported, I read somewhere that deaths and accidents are higher than reported, due to people not reporting and also bodies being removed from the scene of accidents before authoritys know about them..A sad state of affairs and a sad loss of life every year, the statistics for road deaths in Thailand are appalling.

You want to see really bad drivers, then move to china they have to be the worst drivers on the planet, they use there vehicles as weapons most of the time.

//deleted//

You want to see really bad drivers, then move to china they have to be the worst drivers on the planet, they use there vehicles as weapons most of the time.

I'll vote for Saudi Arabia as the worst. Thailand is nothing

Agree on Saudi

The rush to the Bahtain swill weds pm makes Formiua 1 look like a civilized crawl.

The romantic pics of a family on tropical coast all 5 on a bike is in all travel brochures.

But would you want your baby unprotected even on calm sober divided highways of Sweden etc let alone the melee here.

I think enforcement of safe strapped crash helmets would lessen the toll and scale.

I am sure like many of us I forget occasionaly and wearing is uncomfortable in the heat.

In Malaysia last week see nearly everyone has a helmet maybe stricter fines there ?

If cops could confiscate bikes this would resolve it,the combo of avarice and value of bike

There is an issue in the hills where a proper sturdy helmet is weeks wages so an OTOP or op for the rich motorists ?

Perhaps pix of leading figures sporting crash helmets and some jazzy colurs to make it a fashion wannahave for young and as taboo as pointing foot base or touching head for the old.

Sure fire marketing would be to start a rumour it will make you ligter andincrease fertility and chuck in aJatukam keyfob with each helmet

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Saw 3 different accidents in front of us on Samui yesterday.

All within 7meters on a straight road with traffic averaging 2-3 kmh.

If this microcosm is any indication dozens happened within a square kilometer.

I had a 20 km drive in the late morning.

Took 2.5 hours averaging 8km an hour.

Edited by animatic

Sadly there never seems to be a satisfactory answer. The quality of driving and level of carnage in Thailand is horrible, but what's the alternative? I'm not sure which is worse, the insanity here or the pettiness at home. Horrible governmental meddling such as speed cameras, petty officious police, driving license points, insurance increases or cancellations and all the related horror stories from home is not a great alternative. Both impact the quality of life. Is there any such thing as "reasonable" enforcement that makes the roads reasonably safe without putting a cop in the back seat of every car? Is there anywhere in the World that has a satisfactory balance between the two extremes?

A recent UN report into traffic accidents worldwide suggested that the figures for deaths in Thailand were about double the official figures, about 24000 per year.

As stated above the under reporting is due to deaths other than at the scene not being included in the official statistics.

That has always been my opinion 2x an hour with the numbers escalating during Songkran, But!! TIT :)

Sadly there never seems to be a satisfactory answer. The quality of driving and level of carnage in Thailand is horrible, but what's the alternative? I'm not sure which is worse, the insanity here or the pettiness at home. Horrible governmental meddling such as speed cameras, petty officious police, driving license points, insurance increases or cancellations and all the related horror stories from home is not a great alternative. Both impact the quality of life. Is there any such thing as "reasonable" enforcement that makes the roads reasonably safe without putting a cop in the back seat of every car? Is there anywhere in the World that has a satisfactory balance between the two extremes?

Putting a cop in the back seat of every car "here in the realm" would be like putting a pedophile in charge of an orphanage. :)

Mostly agree with what you say, but think the children here should be better protected. At least with rigid (safe) helmet enforcement for everybody. I can't count the amount of times that Thais on motorbikes have held their baby/small child up for me to admire when we're all stopped at traffic lights. I always shake my head in amazement, but certainly don't smile.

15 thousand without a license ?

The mind boggles.

Im not sure which is worse , the Thai drivers without a licence or the ( maybe 1%) of drivers with one ..

The combination of alcohol, arrogance, incompetence, poor (generous) road, and badly maintained vehicles with no brakes ( we've all hired one!), no crash helmets ( for what they are worth) No seat belts... etc etc .. are all relevent but omit one thing..

These death tolls do not take account of the primary cause .. "The Thai culture".

The Thai 'way' of not admitting any fault, leaves them all to believe that they are all great drivers ( by driving as fast as you can until you die) and great parents (taking care of their loved ones; by exposing them to the biggest danger imaginable totally unprotected!!)

I have now been in Thailand for one year and driven a motor cycle almost every day..I cannot find words to describe how bad Thai drivers are.. they are worse than useless. Thais seem to believe that the faster ( and more drunk) you are, and the more risky the manouvre; the better driver they are...

see you in the Temple guys.

I wonder what the birth rate is?

Is the population declining?

Maybe not.

Happy Songkran and don't become a statistic, how do you say that in Thai?

All the best.

I have seen crazier drivers in other parts of the world, but Thailand tops the list for most stupid drivers I have ever seen. It's unbelievable how they will pull out on to a busy street without looking, or pass on a blind curve at 120kph, or drive at night with no lights whatsoever. I am amazed that the death toll is not much higher - I really am.

If you're looking for solutions, I think you need to start with licencing. I went to go take my drivers test last year. Of the 12 people taking the test that day I was the ONLY one who was:

a) Not Thai

B) Taking the test for the first time

c) Had someone drive me to the test center

d) Passed

Yes, all 11 others had failed previously, then failed that day, then drove themselves home. The test was the easiest thing I'd ever seen in my life. Stop on a line, stop near a curb, reverse in a straight line, and parrallel park. 4 things. There was a small written test, but it just basically went over road signs and what a bus stop looks like. There was NO talk about safe driving or anything to do with road safety.

I've also heard (maybe true, maybe legend) that there is no such thing as a speeding ticket in Thailand. There is no accurate method of measuring speed (cameras or radar) so they just don't bother. I've never seen anything to contradict this.

I wish I never took my licence that day, because now I know that of the very few people who HAVE passed, there is no real training, and furthermore the majority on the roads are unlicenced - probably tought by someone else who has no clue. Driving without a licence is, I believe, a standard 200b bribe. Six bucks. Your life and mine is worth $6 to the Thai police. Happy motoring.

Agree on Saudi

The rush to the Bahtain swill weds pm makes Formiua 1 look like a civilized crawl.

The romantic pics of a family on tropical coast all 5 on a bike is in all travel brochures.

But would you want your baby unprotected even on calm sober divided highways of Sweden etc let alone the melee here.

I think enforcement of safe strapped crash helmets would lessen the toll and scale.

I am sure like many of us I forget occasionaly and wearing is uncomfortable in the heat.

In Malaysia last week see nearly everyone has a helmet maybe stricter fines there ?

If cops could confiscate bikes this would resolve it,the combo of avarice and value of bike

There is an issue in the hills where a proper sturdy helmet is weeks wages so an OTOP or op for the rich motorists ?

Perhaps pix of leading figures sporting crash helmets and some jazzy colurs to make it a fashion wannahave for young and as taboo as pointing foot base or touching head for the old.

Sure fire marketing would be to start a rumour it will make you ligter andincrease fertility and chuck in aJatukam keyfob with each helmet

Far more motor-bikes in Vietnam. Less cars.

Everyone wears a crash helmet, except young kids (no size, soft skulls, little point in doing so).

The police are very strict on this, helmets are cheap. And are sold everywhere. Just about the most easily available product, except for cigarettes.

There are still accidents. There are still fatal accidents. But I think many less fatalities than would be the case if the police did not try to impose a little bit of discipline on the roads.

Remember - slowing down will not kill you.

There was an article in Time magazine a couple of years ago on how they try to use positive marketing and how is was groovvy for kids to wear designer helmets...

Not sure how much that helped but viet authorities have strict enforecement about wearing hemets and thus compliance very high. Good for them!

It is doable but not how the current thai culture functions...

CB

as the statistics mostly reflect those who go and get registered at hospitals.

The death toll is only those that die at the scene of an accident.

Those that survive and are taken to hospital or elsewhere and subsequently die are not included.

So the figures are far higher than the 'official' statistics.

They are also notoriously under-reported as they are compiled by the Police and as we all know they are not the most efficient or honest bunch.

as the statistics mostly reflect those who go and get registered at hospitals.

The death toll is only those that die at the scene of an accident.

Those that survive and are taken to hospital or elsewhere and subsequently die are not included.

So the figures are far higher than the 'official' statistics.

They are also notoriously under-reported as they are compiled by the Police and as we all know they are not the most efficient or honest bunch.

Does anyone know the latest numbers of deaths? Doesnt seem to be alot posted like years before, could be the goverment trying to keep a lid on things. Well dont worry with the great Thai police enforcing all the laws the kingdom has things will only get worse.

Amazing Thailand, NOT!!!

Saw 3 different accidents in front of us on Samui yesterday.

All within 7meters on a straight road with traffic averaging 2-3 kmh.

If this microcosm is any indication dozens happened within a square kilometer.

I had a 20 km drive in the late morning.

Took 2.5 hours averaging 8km an hour.

My God, Animatic, you are a walking disaster! Did you cause all those accidents. You might want to speed up or stay off the roads ! (Just kidding) have a happy and safe Songkran.

Hmmm -- 15,948 'arrested' for no license -- 15,373 'arrested for no helmet -- were there any arrested for DUI (driving under the influence ie drunk) ? I've never heard of a breathalizer anywhere in Thailand, or even a simple " walk along a straight line " test .

Is there any penalty for driving while drunk in Thailand ? -- at least impounding of the vehicle, which would really be a loss of face for most Thai men .

Were there any arrested for excessive speed ? I'm not sure there is any law forbidding it in Thailand. In any case, the BiB certainly have no equipment for checking speed.

Perhaps we need a new generation of enforcement equipment to provide motivation -- breathalizers and radar guns that simultaneously check the amount of money in the drivers wallet !!!

When describing a naughty child my mother used to say "He/she is very willful" and that's the word I'd use to describe Thai drivers. I used to think they were just stupid, but they aren't, they know they are are driving incorrectly (going the wrong way against traffic etc) but do it anyway. Perhaps it's laziness, but seeing it's the motorbike or car that does the work, I can't see why.

My wife, who is Thai, has recently passed her test. She took the car out for the first time recently and had a prang. One drive, one accident. Last Friday she and her brother left for Sisaket (brother driving), I had a phone call a little later, they'd had a collision with a motorbike, no one hurt thankfully but front of car dented and they'd had to pay the motorcyclist 1000 baht. Wouldn't mind but it was 4am, hardly any traffic on the road. They're returning tomorrow, let's hope they (and my car) arrive in one piece.

I've lived and driven in lots of places around the world and in the bad driving league, Thailand has to be Premiership, top four standard.

anything to do with rampant alcoholism in those particular cities/regions?

on a separate note, saw a small boy, maybe 7, knocked down by a car today

about 20km out of CM, the kid ran out onto the road to splash water at

a pickup truck full of people on the opposite side, but forgot to look for traffic

on his side - he was splattered on the pavement. RIP.

WHERE IS THE ADULT SUPERVISION??? WHERE???

Where are the police to control kids on roads? Where is the government with

regulations? Where are the school safety programs and education? WHERE?