Why Must The Biggest Water Guns Be Used To Shoot Peope In The Face?

Tokay

I am glad to see the Thais (and farangs) out there having fun...it much better to see them throwing water at each other than sticks, stones, and bullets!

Pattaya is a tourist resort and so we must let everyone have an extended good time...it' the bread and butter that keeps our town afloat. Sure it's a little inconvenient if you don't have a car but there are many work-arounds. (Of course, one would be to not live in the main tourist areas to begin with.) Complaining about the Songkran revelry in Pattaya would be like complaining about Marti Gras in New Orleans or Carnival in Rio. Only a real party-pooper would contemplate such a thing and everyone else would consider them daft.

I guess we have allot of daft people residing in Pattaya :)

I am glad to see the Thais (and farangs) out there having fun...it much better to see them throwing water at each other than sticks, stones, and bullets!

Pattaya is a tourist resort and so we must let everyone have an extended good time...it' the bread and butter that keeps our town afloat. Sure it's a little inconvenient if you don't have a car but there are many work-arounds. (Of course, one would be to not live in the main tourist areas to begin with.) Complaining about the Songkran revelry in Pattaya would be like complaining about Marti Gras in New Orleans or Carnival in Rio. Only a real party-pooper would contemplate such a thing and everyone else would consider them daft.

I believe that Mardi Gras and Carnival only block up their respective cities and people can still get around it and enjoy themselves even if not taking part. In pattaya one of the main 'fun' parts of those taking part seems to be the malicious soaking of those who do not wish to take part. Yes, let people have their fun, it's what makes the world go around, but let those who do not wish to partake get on with their lives as well.

I believe that Mardi Gras and Carnival only block up their respective cities and people can still get around it and enjoy themselves even if not taking part. In pattaya one of the main 'fun' parts of those taking part seems to be the malicious soaking of those who do not wish to take part. Yes, let people have their fun, it's what makes the world go around, but let those who do not wish to partake get on with their lives as well.

or...if you cant beat them, join them?

Can someone confirm that the Songkran water-throwing activities in Pattaya have been extended for one extra week (April 20th-26th) due to the reduced tourist arrivals from Europe?

This was was I heard in the 'Butchers Arms'.

Not sure about that Syd, why don't you go out on the 20th and throw some water over the first people you come accross, and see what happens. :)

I've got another question...Why do grumpy farangs go out on their motorbikes during Songkran when they know they will get dunked with water (or sprayed in the face) without a helmet (with face shield) or motorcycle goggles? In any home supply store, one can buy plastic eye-protectors for B 40 that will even fit over a pair of glasses and are perfect eye protection for the few days of waterworks during Songkran.

And if they want to get around without getting wet, why not rent a car for a couple days for a few thousand baht?

+1 I totally agree with the above . OP you know Songkhran is coming but you whine when you don't wear a helmet or goggles and get water in your eye? The festival has developed into what it is ...some people aren't into it and thats fine -  just hire a car? It just makes me laff when people are surprised about getting sprayed or wet ' while I was riding on my motorbike??? ' If you dont have enough money for a car what are you going to do if you get stuck here due to the volcano?

I've got another question...Why do grumpy farangs go out on their motorbikes during Songkran when they know they will get dunked with water (or sprayed in the face) without a helmet (with face shield) or motorcycle goggles? In any home supply store, one can buy plastic eye-protectors for B 40 that will even fit over a pair of glasses and are perfect eye protection for the few days of waterworks during Songkran.

And if they want to get around without getting wet, why not rent a car for a couple days for a few thousand baht?

+1 I totally agree with the above . OP you know Songkhran is coming but you whine when you don't wear a helmet or goggles and get water in your eye? The festival has developed into what it is ...some people aren't into it and thats fine -  just hire a car? It just makes me laff when people are surprised about getting sprayed or wet ' while I was riding on my motorbike??? ' If you dont have enough money for a car what are you going to do if you get stuck here due to the volcano?

That ignorant and impracticable suggestion was answered earlier in the thread here if you'd bothered to read it. Actually FarangBuddha doesn't know a thing about the problems of riding a bike in Pattaya during Songkran and is just flappin' his gums. (I rather doubt he can ride a bike.) In fact he doesn't even participate in Songkran, though he assures us that it's "fun" when we who live here know that it isn't--for 8 days.

All he does is ride over on the peak day in an SUV with his windows rolled up! That's his qualification as an expert.

Don't feed the trolls.

Two Flaming posts deleted

I hate it when someone needs to swear and instead says "flaming".

I think flaming in this case means posts that were intended to annoy or inflame posters and were removed....not a substitue for the f word

Maybe Bung is right :)

Enough with the fighting guys I do not want to start deleting posts and issuing warnings now that we have almost come to the end of this thread, I hope!!

That ignorant and impracticable suggestion was answered earlier in the thread here if you'd bothered to read it. Actually FarangBuddha doesn't know a thing about the problems of riding a bike in Pattaya during Songkran and is just flappin' his gums. (I rather doubt he can ride a bike.) In fact he doesn't even participate in Songkran, though he assures us that it's "fun" when we who live here know that it isn't--for 8 days.

All he does is ride over on the peak day in an SUV with his windows rolled up! That's his qualification as an expert.

Don't feed the trolls.

Perhaps FarangBuddha could drive his SUV over to Pattaya and I'll dump a large bucket of (ice) water over him to give him some idea of how enjoyable it is...at night of course.