Are You More Thai Than All The Other Farangs?

GuestHouse

I have just started reading thaivisa after 1 year after losing interest.

One thing is still the same..Guesthouse is still the biggest troll but the cleverist at disguising it.

Sorry i havent read the thread but i can imagine he hoped it would of turned into a slanging match.

ps troll threads are always the best so keep them coming..maybe if i have time ill read it :)

You've not read the thread but your imagination provides you with my motives...... and you accuse me of being a Troll.

Yeh Right!

Dont get me wrong most other non troll threads are boring and the most enjoyable reads get banned due to PC <deleted>.

Long live the troll :D

Edited by BygonKeaw

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but I usually find the level farang speak Thai opposite their level of income, the better the level of thai the worse the income is.... :)

Interesting... You might be right.

There are way more farang that come here thinking, money talks and bปll sทit walks than there are people who came here to change the way they measure their lives.

What I find funny is its so often people who would have probably worked for me or someone like me back home, that somehow think they are superior here because they have retired on what they couldn't live on comfortably back home, but I am merely a lowly English teacher. :D

I'm not Thai, I am Farang. I don't expect to be accepted as anything other than that. Doesn't mean I can't take steps to integrate though. Learning the Language is a double edged sword though. Some will appreciate it, many will be threatened by it. Language is the most obvious tool for keeping farang at arms length. They can dip into your pockets with a few batted eyelids but you don't get anywhere near anything that matters to them.

I think the most "Thai" farangs are generally the ones who think that if one's wife is dark skinned and from the North East one has failed to marry into the right level of society, and thus impress upon the Forum the chineseness of their spouses. These are truely special people indeed.

Edited by Loz

I think the most "Thai" farangs are generally the ones who think that if one's wife is dark skinned and from the North East one has failed to marry into the right level of society, and thus impress upon the Forum the chineseness of their spouses. These are truely special people indeed.

Excellent post. Thaivisa is infested with these people.

Did you have this already?

"Add 5 points for stunting your childrens growth by only feeding them sugar."

"Add 5 more for still doing it after knowing the benefit of proteins."

It was a fun read to see what i recognise in the house maffia. I can never be thai as i almost puke from the local market "sweet drinks".

Having just moved here, I am definitely not Thai. I do have a Thai drivers license, but what the heck, I also have a British DL, a Korean DL, and a Singaporean DL along with my US DL.

Best I can say is while I'm still semi-American, I feel more like a world person having lived all over the planet for the last 20+ years. I love Thai food (read that as anything furiously spicy) and will be taking language lessons soon, but the ambience and the people here are already wonderful. The laidbackness is similar to California.

This thread is both funny and helpful for me. I look forward to hearing more.

A few more for the list, haha....

5 Points: Must for no known reason, stand in the middle of a corridor/aisle at the mall or market blocking everyone from passing.

Extra 5 points: if you have a shopping trolley and go out of your way to block every other shopper.

2 Points: Don’t wash dishes with hot water..... actually don’t use hot water for anything.

5 Points: If your tee ruk and her family NO LONGER try and feed you every thai delicacy going.

5 Points: If you eat exclusively with a spoon.

For the purpose of this thread, there are two types of farangs:

Cat 1: Tries to integrate into society, mostly through understanding, patience, respect, and tolerance. Learns the language to be able to communicate with the locals and his/her mate. Is well-mannered and generally liked by all, Thai’s and farangs alike. Has strong adaptation skills, is well adjusted, and for the most part, has a happier time in Thailand. Considers Cat 2 farangs to be hopeless whiners and crybabies.

Cat 2: Refuses to integrate into Thai society or learn the language. Attacks the “Thai way” at every opportunity, and chastises those who defends the locals. Is pretty miserable most of the time, but truly believes in the saying “misery loves company,” so will attack those in Cat 1 for being too well-adjusted and happy. Considers Cat 1 farangs Thai apologists and Thai wannabes.

For the purpose of this thread, there are two types of farangs:

Cat 1: Tries to integrate into society, mostly through understanding, patience, respect, and tolerance. Learns the language to be able to communicate with the locals and his/her mate. Is well-mannered and generally liked by all, Thai's and farangs alike. Has strong adaptation skills, is well adjusted, and for the most part, has a happier time in Thailand. Considers Cat 2 farangs to be hopeless whiners and crybabies.

Cat 2: Refuses to integrate into Thai society or learn the language. Attacks the "Thai way" at every opportunity, and chastises those who defends the locals. Is pretty miserable most of the time, but truly believes in the saying "misery loves company," so will attack those in Cat 1 for being too well-adjusted and happy. Considers Cat 1 farangs Thai apologists and Thai wannabes.

Agreed. Best post of the week! :)

get outta here...ah's a cat 1 an' there ain't no way that I could be considered to be a thai apologist...I just normally have respect fer folks until they prove otherwise...

an'...I don't consider cat 2 folks to be 'hopeless whiners and crybabies'; there's plenty to bitch an' moan about in Thailand...

let me tell you about the cheap, drinkable wine and the good beer in Vietnam, not to mention the beautiful wimmin that got thai wimmin beat all over the place...but I ain't gonna move there...I'm gonna die inna little cow town in southern Suphanburi because that is where I am loved...

happy International Worker's Day, 01 May... :)

No matter how well a farang integrates oneself into Thai society just remember that in the eyes of a Thai, you are nothing but a long term tourist in their country. A farang should always remember their roots.

I've finally developed a fear of Thai ghosts. :) I can also watch a serious Thai ghost movie without bursting into laughter.

Worth at least 10 points.

Edited by toptuan