Wish List

CMX

I'm bringing back to Chiang Mai some things from my 'Zuki (sold) bike in the States. What should I take from here that might be particularly expensive there (watching baggage weight). Don't want to forget the obvious, and I'm thinking touring.

I'm pretty sure about Garmin GPS and all connectors & attachments - light enough, and almost new helmet (or two) just makes safety sense....

I bought my meshjacket , meshpants and tankbag in the US , better prices and my size available.

I also got myself some nicer grips from abroad...there are grips here but i wanted some special kind that wasn't available here. This is also something what you should actually think of"what extra stuff do i wish on the bike"? ie. Tankprotector, tailbag , some sort of reflective stickers...if you tour maybe something waterproof should be considered too..

Honestly, i never use my gps which is on my phone and has voicenavigation via bluetooth to my Helmets headset...but i find a gps pure on visuals are dangerous, voice navigation is better at least less dangerous but i prefer without. Should i get lost i switch on the gps and have a look where i am at and quickly figure out the right way. Having said that, i really like the gps when driving the Car :-)

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Thanks! - I feel the same way about GPS, lost or for planning. Using it while abourd is sort of like looking at my RPM indicator when it is near the red line all the time:) - although, out in the country, zoomed way out....

FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I see this as a "no wrong" answer sort of question - brainstorming, I think they call it. I just am not sure about prices in Thailand.

Another vote for the mesh kit. Leather isn't bad if you're planning longer rides, but it WILL kill you in the city. Some folks try and use only blue jeans with riding shorts underneath; not smart in my book since there's no protection for knees or the fact that while denim is slightly abrasive resistant it is nowhere near what real pants offer. Proper leather gloves are the best, but get funky if not well maintained.

Make sure your helmet has a lot of ventilation. Tinted/mirrored visors can get you 'fined' if the copper is short on cash, but they are so worth it. A bluetooth headset (Cardo Scala is what I used) can be nice in that you can listen to tunes while riding and alleviate the looking at the GPS that others have mentioned. Did I mention that a well ventilated lid is important?

Back to the GPS. I have the Garmin Zumo and find that most of the time it works well enough to just listen to the voice prompt; unless I get a hair up my ass and decide to take a different route and the little voice keeps nagging me. I am one of those lookie-loos that will, probably unsafely, peek at the screen more than others. It takes all of 2 seconds and generally there are more things that distract me for a greater amount of time than that (like the hot chick coming out of 7-11) so I deem it an acceptable risk.

If you're going to get a Ninja 250 and you're plus sized than Race Tech fork springs are a god send. They are a bit big for luggage, IIRC some 28" or so long but will so enhance your ride that it's hard not to recommend. Picking up a Power Commander would be nice also, they don't weigh anything and take up negligible space.

Since everything bigbike related is expensive in Thailand I'd just buy everything you'd ever want in the future.

Just dedicate an entire oversize piece of luggage to your bike and riding.

Pay the extra airline luggage cost (check their size and weight limits); its still cheaper than shipping by mail in the future.

When I came over I brought 30 pounds of tools (you can't buy tools with lifetime warranties in Thailand), 2 helmets, a mesh jacket, 3x gloves, and my Sidi boots.

I don't know what kind of bike you ride here in Thailand but if its sporty, I'd get a Scotts Rotary steering damper.

They're expensive because they're the best.

I'd also bring Rizoma accessories and a full exhaust system over too.

While you're at it, get good bike luggage and an Overboard backpack since there aren't many choices in waterproof backpacks here other than Ortlieb which is inferior to Overboard.

Maybe a taller windscreen, racks, brushguards, sliders?

If you told us what bike this is all for it may help.

If you are concerned with baggage weight, what I have done in the past is wear them during check-in. Sure, you will get stared at if you show up with Alpinestar boots, a jacket, helmet, etc. But I get my new stuff over for free. Never had a word said about my helmet, and last time I brought new saddlebags too. Stuffed full of course. Carry-On.

(you can't buy tools with lifetime warranties in Thailand)

???? We must shop at different stores.

Cool, so where can you get these tools?

I went to the Beta shop in Lat Phrao and they only have a 1 year warranty and all the mall stores sell crap.

I've never seen Craftsman or Snap-On here.

What brands can you get and where?

In particular a socket ratchet wrench is what's critical to working on bikes.

I'm sure many others would like to know.

Have obtained armored mesh gear. Many great ideas, thanks. Presently trying to figure how to get my excellent wrenches into pockets so that they will be easy to doff at the frisk-search points. (Happily, I had hernia surgery just 2 years ago and should be "good to go.")

But I've only ordered the Tiger Boxer 250RS, so there's no great need for racing gear. A good tank bag, a tail bag, stop&go puncture kit, boots (that I'll wear on the planes), and the brake pads, grips, bandannas, and reflective tape can go in luggage, make for me, imagining, a laughable picture:

I waddle, clumping, two maxi-bags in tow, backpack stuffed out back, and a heavy (two) computer bag slung over my shoulder and the big helmet on my head.

Maybe I want one of those mountable mini-cams?

Thanks all so far.

Edited by CMX

Have obtained armored mesh gear. Many great ideas, thanks. Presently trying to figure how to get my excellent wrenches into pockets so that they will be easy to doff at the frisk-search points. (Happily, I had hernia surgery just 2 years ago and should be "good to go.")

But I've only ordered the Tiger Boxer 250RS, so there's no great need for racing gear. A good tank bag, a tail bag, stop&go puncture kit, boots (that I'll wear on the planes), and the brake pads, grips, bandannas, and reflective tape can go in luggage, make for me, imagining, a laughable picture:

I waddle, clumping, two maxi-bags in tow, backpack stuffed out back, and a heavy (two) computer bag slung over my shoulder and the big helmet on my head.

Maybe I want one of those mountable mini-cams?

Thanks all so far.

Hi there...i see you getting it all nicely geared up. As for minicams i had this setup on my boxer 250rs. 4088381563_1f907cf7ba_b.jpg

Here a Video that i made ...the first part is just a slideshow but the second part was done on this camera mount as pictured : http://vimeo.com/9611945

Tony (bigbikebkk) got his mini dv cam at pantip and it was about 1800thb the qlty is not bad at all on this plus i think he mentioned it has like 4 gb memory included .

Hope that helps,

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

Thanks, Mbox, enjoyed the slides and video. I intend to send similar (certainly less polished) productions back to family, so I may well follow Tony's example, which relieves me of worrying about THAT, as I pack.

I'll have to look into those turn signals when I get back. I'll not worry about the stock speedometer/odometer setup, as I'll be cross-referencing it to a GPS (on one of the MANY quiet roads we have running up into the hills and mountains here around Chiang Mai). Golden Triangle maps are all about us.

Ha - Ha !!! A good laugh to start my morning. Thanks !!!

[Maybe I want one of those mountable mini-cams?

Thanks all so far.

You may want to research a GoPro Hero HD on youtube, its the best HD cam it seems for extreme sports since all the waterproof mounts come with it.

They're $380 at MBK but I got one off the web for ~$250.

Beware, there's the old 5MP version for less $ but its not HD.

I'm quite happy with mine, but the 1080p is so bloody big my laptop (2.0ghz, 4GB ram) can't play it back.

So I'm stuck with 720P at 60fps and that works well enough until I get a new computer.

But it does come with TV cables for 1080p playback too.

Bottom line is you'll get bent over at MBK if you decide to get it here.