Rules For Us Expats Keep Getting Nastier And Nastier

You either learn how to play the game or let the game crush you Anyone that can use a computer can obtain a "US street address " Just do a Google search and you will find many solutions But no, people here would rather whine and complain and fill their lives with DRAMA

the favourite pastime of TV-members :)

the ulterior motive is... TAXES :)
the issue is not new JT but several years old, in fact much older than the Patriot Act. i don't think anybody will have problems to open a bank account in most foreign countries to which his income is transferred from the U.S.

real problems exist since years for U.S. citizens to open a bank account as well as a portfolio holding financial assets which are (more or less) frequently traded/shuffled. it is the latter what the banks don't like because it involves too much administrative hassle/work for which they don't get paid.

Well, I think Naam has put his finger on. The increase in regulations makes it more costly for many firms to administer the related expenses with their US national clients. It probabl also depends on the "Net Worth" of the investor. I doubt that Waren Buffett has any difficulty in opening an account in any country whereas Lance and his pittiful amount of cash is not really sought out for his business.

I've opened two bank accounts here in Thailand and that was never a problem. They allow you to deposit as much as you want :D

to give you an example. i was a U.S. person (foreigner but liable to pay U.S. income tax) from 1998 till early 2004. to meet the demands of the IRS two employees of my (offshore) bank were busy issuing documents for three to four days at the end of each fiscal year.

You either learn how to play the game or let the game crush you

Anyone that can use a computer can obtain a "US street address " Just do a Google search and you will find many solutions

But no, people here would rather whine and complain and fill their lives with DRAMA

USaddresses.png

People have reported problems with financial institutions rejecting these kinds of fake addresses.

For any 3rd party address to be accepted by financial institutions in the USA, you need to have filled out the 1583 form:

Application for Delivery of Mail Through Agent

http://www.usps.com/forms/_pdf/ps1583.pdf

Note: See Privacy Act Statement on Reverse This is the part that explains how your Constitutional Rights are being trampled.

Note2: I have used such an Agent box in forming a new corporation, new bank accounts, and in filings /approvals with the IRS.

Edited by jazzbo

Or renounce your citizenship and the problem is solved

Oh but no, you don't want to do that do, you want the best of both worlds, the protections that US Citizenship gives you but none of the responsibilities

YOU chose to be an expat no one put a gun to your head and said "go forth and live in Thailand"

Obviously in order to renounce one passport you need a second first or you are in deep $hit. Don't know many people who have two passports. :)

Oh but no, you don't want to do that do,

1. you want the best of both worlds, the protections that US Citizenship gives you

but none of the responsibilities

YOU chose to be an expat no one put a gun to your head and said "go forth and live in Thailand"

Obviously in order to renounce one passport you need a second first or you are in deep $hit.

2. Don't know many people who have two passports. :)

1. = :D

2. i know a few but none of them is American.

Oh but no, you don't want to do that do,

1. you want the best of both worlds, the protections that US Citizenship gives you

but none of the responsibilities

Obviously in order to renounce one passport you need a second first or you are in deep $hit.

2. Don't know many people who have two passports. :)

1. = :D

2. i know a few but none of them is American.

I'm working on it but it takes 3 years to get a meaningful one. :D

I have opened new US accounts twice in the last year using my Thai address. My Chase account has used my Thai address for the last decade. It does not seem to be as big a problem as some might suggest.

That is good to know lopburi

Do they ( Chase ) mail you anything in Thailand if need be?

Lop I have banked with Chase for over 10 years, 5 of these from here in Thailand. I have been using the online services to wire my pension money here every few months since I have been here. About 4 years ago I changed my address in the system to show my US mailing address which happens to be a military APO box. My account and the bank had no problems until about 2 months ago I get a letter from the bank's compliance dept. telling me I needed to contact my branch in the US where the account is located and change my address to a physical address in the US and not a PO box or they would be forced to block future wire transfers for being non-compliant.

I called the bank one day and talked to a lady I dealt with years before and she knows my situation of retired here in LOS and she saw on my account the flag that had been put there. I told her I needed to have a street address and she asked me what address I wanted to use. She knows full well what's going on and jokingly asked if I wanted to use Joe's Bar down the street for a physical address. SHe happily changed my address and now I have a physical address. I have not done a wire yet to see if I meet the new requirement but I would assume I have filled the necessary square.

Chase mails my credit card every few years. That is only account with them. They mailed statements until I started to use online service.

That is good to know but ..I wonder if the result would be the same for bank accounts versus charge cards?

In either case I would assume most folks have a relative in the States so could use their address as a possible work around.

"Some U.S.-based banks have closed expats’ accounts..."

So? I've never had a problem, and my suggestion would be to choose another bank. It's interesting that you have no firsthand knowledge of this - you only read an article. I'm a happy camper because I accept the vicissitudes of life, look forward to new experiences, and I don't troll the internet for bad news.