Affirmation To Marry

Hi,

I am due to go to bangkok in the next fe weeks to have the affirmation to marry document signed in the consul at the british embassy, my question is with the degrading situation in bangkok and thailand generally does this document have to be signed at the embassy in bangkok, can it be signed at one of the other consuls such as the one in pattaya.

i just need this information in case the british embassy in bangkok shuts up shop.

i believe that after the affirmation is signed it needs translating and authorizing within bangkok anyway.

thanks

paul

The affirmation of freedom to get married will need translating into Thai. With the translation and original, you go to the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have it legalised. With the legalised document you then go to any District Office with your girlfriend to get married.

More information in this link to British embassy website.

The link in gotlost's post seems to refer to the UK visa application centre (situated at Regent House, Rajdamri Road, Lumpini) rather than the British embassy which is situated at a different location on Wireless Road.

The letter can be had in Pattaya or Chiang Mai. You may consider this.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Uk-Visa-Offi...ce-t360048.html

By the same token, can Proof Of Income letters for annual extension of stay applications be obtained at the Pattaya or Chiang Mai consulates, since, in common with the OP, I would rather avoid having to run the gauntlet of the red shirts who have made themselves at home near the Embassy in Bangkok?

Assuming the answer is "yes", I would appreciate contact details (address, phone nos, etc) for the Pattaya Consulate.

Does anyone know if the Affirmation to Marry document and the certification by the MFA have an expiration date? How many days, weeks, or months do I have to use the documents at the local registrar office? I know most people are in a hurry and most likely will do all this in a matter of days but I have never seen anyone say the documents need to be used in a week or whatever.

You have to do it in bangkok, but contact a translation agency in Chinag Mai or Bangkok. They can take care of the leaglisation for you.

Translation is normally around 400 baht, the legalisation costs 800 baht if you do it yourself.

You have to do it in bangkok, but contact a translation agency in Chinag Mai or Bangkok. They can take care of the leaglisation for you.

Translation is normally around 400 baht, the legalisation costs 800 baht if you do it yourself.

Thanks, so the agency in Chiang Mai can send it off to the MFA in Bangkok?

The affirmation of freedom to get married will need translating into Thai. With the translation and original, you go to the Consular Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to have it legalised. With the legalised document you then go to any District Office with your girlfriend to get married.

More information in this link to British embassy website.

The link in gotlost's post seems to refer to the UK visa application centre (situated at Regent House, Rajdamri Road, Lumpini) rather than the British embassy which is situated at a different location on Wireless Road.

Hi Thaiphoon..im on the understanding that when you have your affirmation translated and you take to the MFA for your licence to marry you also have to then go and have the licence from the MFA translated into thai also? Could you please confirm fro me please as me and my partner will be going through this process at the end of May?

Many thanks in advance for your opinion.

There is no such license to marry. You need your passport and the Embassy paper that has been translated and registered with the MFA (they put stamps and a registry number on it). You get back the same papers you gave them and they keep a file copy under that registry number that the District Office can confirm.

There is no such license to marry. You need your passport and the Embassy paper that has been translated and registered with the MFA (they put stamps and a registry number on it). You get back the same papers you gave them and they keep a file copy under that registry number that the District Office can confirm.

Thanks for advice.....Once we have been married at the amphur office,we should then take the marriage certificate for translation back to english for the embassy i believe? Thanks again.

That marriage certificate is an official marriage most places. Do not believe most Embassies are interested one way or another but UK has a system to enter the information into UK home database so that could make things easier in the future (but is not required).

But it is a good idea to have translation and registration done for several copies as they could be useful at some point and save some time when home country needs proof of marriage for some item such as survivor benefits.

Thanks for advice.....Once we have been married at the amphur office,we should then take the marriage certificate for translation back to english for the embassy i believe? Thanks again.

The English translation will need to be certified by the MFA before an Embassy will accept it.