Where Do You Go For A Sip And Your Reading?

Soulwy

There are dozens of bakeries and coffeeshops at Nimm.Road. But I still haven't found a place where I like to go to read magazines. I imagine this relaxed place with a huge reading table in the middle of the cafe. With some fine background tunes...

Mocador coffee across the street from the entrance to wat Phra sing is a grat place, very comfortable and stylish, comfortable furniture and cool music. A few days ago I was walking in the area and got overheated so looked for some aircon, when I went in and sat down, the guy working there walked up and handed me a cold wet towel, just perfect. (he got a good tip). They also have a large outdoor seating area and full bar.

Mocador coffee across the street from the entrance to wat Phra sing is a grat place, very comfortable and stylish, comfortable furniture and cool music. A few days ago I was walking in the area and got overheated so looked for some aircon, when I went in and sat down, the guy working there walked up and handed me a cold wet towel, just perfect. (he got a good tip). They also have a large outdoor seating area and full bar.

Mokador is a nice place indeed, I have been there, it's really nice. The cool towel is a standard thing.

But sometimes I like to sit where it is ...mmm.. I can't come up with the English word.

Large wooden table, not too new, a little jazz, brazilian music in the background, maybe a 60-70's feeling...

South European... something like this. I miss this thingie I used to go in Rotterdam...

Currently sitting in the front of my computer with a bottle of Penfolds 2006 Bin 389 Cab Shiraz in a rather remote location.

Sadly not at home right now but if I were, I'd be sipping the same red on the terrace listening to some sweet music to settle the tenderloin (from Oz) done to medium rare on the Weber. Perhaps have a National Geographic on the lap, or maybe just chatting with my beautiful wife and lovely child.

Which wife and child in which country. :D

Great retort between friends, UG. And good reply from Blinky. :D

The problem with most cafes is they actually WANT to sell you something when you are sitting in their premises. :)

However, once you get to know a certain place as a regular they tend to overlook the extended stays while nursing just a coffee while reading the paper or magazine. Thais, for the most part, are polite, and won't kick you out. I'm always active and seldom sit around unless I'm working at the easel or on the computer writing. So, I can't be much assistence in knowing neat little places to spend an hour or so reading. I suggest getting on a scooter and exploring different parts of the city during the off peak times of traffic.

There's no music and the atmosphere isn't chic, but I rather like reading and studying at a group of tables in the basement of Kad Suan Kaew, near the fish spa. There are proper tables and chairs, so you can spread out your books and benefit from the natural light coming through the large glass windows overlooking the central garden. That's why they call it Kad Suan Kaew -- it means glass garden.

The aircon is great, better at some tables than others. Shops for coffee, bottled water, even beer are nearby but since no vendor seems to claim that group of tables, no staffer ever bothers you. You could sit for hours, not buy anything and never have anyone notice you.

If you like 10 baht coffee you could try the branch of te public library on the first floor of KaDSuanKau. A little shop with nice quiet music and even has nagazines and books to read. It seems the Chiangmai has done something well with this.

There's no music and the atmosphere isn't chic, but I rather like reading and studying at a group of tables in the basement of Kad Suan Kaew, near the fish spa. There are proper tables and chairs, so you can spread out your books and benefit from the natural light coming through the large glass windows overlooking the central garden. That's why they call it Kad Suan Kaew -- it means glass garden.

The aircon is great, better at some tables than others. Shops for coffee, bottled water, even beer are nearby but since no vendor seems to claim that group of tables, no staffer ever bothers you. You could sit for hours, not buy anything and never have anyone notice you.

Good call, Nancy. I agree. I was recently in Kad Suan Kaew mall and noticed there seemed to far less people than the Airport mall close to where I live. Even on a Sunday there were lots of comfortable bench seats available. But, you would have to bring your own reading material.