Thai Forces Fire Warning Shots In Standoff With Red Shirts

webfact

But this is just one slum. What about the people like the security guards at my condo complex who work work 7 days a week 12 hours a day (how much down time do rice farmers have?) to make less that 6k baht a month (any idea what living expenses are down here) and really have no life but working, sleeping and eating. Forget the fact that in BKK you are not even going to get a job as a clerk at a store unless you have paid and received a college degree.

One of the security guards for my GF's apartment building in a suburb here wants to go home to visit his family next week and asked us if we could share the number to a loan-shark my GF previously loaned from (20% interest per month). I rather find the money and loan him myself...

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The CNN News website reported that the soldier was accidentally killed by fire from security forces......

Don't blame the redshirts for that.60% of the army support the reds.Policeforce 70%.Everybody know that or you must stick your head in the sand,like this government.

Absolutely the red shirt protesters are responsible. They were engaging in illegal actions. It is the government's duty to maintain control and order in public places. The responsibility for any injury to security forces must rest with the illegal protesters.

There were people that blamed a foreigner's car accident death on the way to Phuket on PAD because of the Bangkok airport closure had led them to the decision to drive down there to fly out and there's certainly a much closer association to the soldier's death to UDD... so you're right.

Otherwise, the infamous "double standards" can be implored.

Edited by ThaksinKharma

The CNN News website reported that the soldier was accidentally killed by fire from security forces......

Don't blame the redshirts for that.60% of the army support the reds.Policeforce 70%.Everybody know that or you must stick your head in the sand,like this government.

Absolutely the red shirt protesters are responsible. They were engaging in illegal actions. It is the government's duty to maintain control and order in public places. The responsibility for any injury to security forces must rest with the illegal protesters.

There were people that blamed a foreigner's car accident death on the way to Phuket on PAD because of the Bangkok airport closure had led them to the decision to drive down there to fly out and there's certainly a much closer association to the soldier's death to UDD... so you're right.

Do you honestly think that is a reasonable comparison? You might. It's okay if you do. I don't.

In one case there was a road accident in some rural area. In the other case security personnel were on a roadway to prevent highly illegal actions by violent demonstrators.

If you want delegate the responsibility than name nobody else but PM Abhisit here.

You can't maintain order in public places with killing the people.

If you want delegate the responsibility than name nobody else but PM Abhisit here.

Then I vote that the reds stop killing people!

Please connect the dots for me. I don't see the logic in your argument, so I must be missing something. This isn't a dig at you and I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Do you honestly think that is a reasonable comparison? You might. It's okay if you do. I don't.

In one case there was a road accident in some rural area. In the other case security personnel were on a roadway to prevent highly illegal actions by violent demonstrators.

No, of course it's not comparable. It was just to highlight the absurdities and inconsistencies of the reds.

They want to deny any responsibility for the soldier's death yet want to attempt to connect a car accident 4 provinces away with what PAD did in Bangkok.

Please connect the dots for me. I don't see the logic in your argument, so I must be missing something.

I don't see much logic in your argument, blaming the reds that the bullet hit one soldier.

Actually if you would listen to the reds you would know that if you shoot at human beings it kills them. That is not just a red propaganda lie but the truth.

It is also one of their main complains and demands: Stop the killing.

If the government gives the order to shoot at people they are indeed responsible if someone dies and not the victim. Killing people is a crime, it is called murder.

your security guards roots will most probably be in Isaan, so will nearly all your taxi drivers, motorbike taxi drivers, your chamber maids, most of your bar workers, street cleaners, market workers, noodle sellers, construction workers etc. In fact if they went home your so called middle class bangkokians would have to get their hands dirty.... oh no cant do that. Bangkok only functions bcos of migrant workers and if they went home on mass... Bkk would shut in 12 hours

Your knowledge of Thailand is clearly lacking a lot. According to you there is no poor people nor any migrant workers from other parts of the nation, the only reason BKK is functioning is because poor people is kind enough to work and no Bangkokian has ever gotten their hand dirty and recent having to...and people from the north's roots 'probably is Isaan'.

"I object, your honor. Misleading, inflammatory and the counsel is making statements not supported by facts."

I don't see much logic in your argument, blaming the reds that the bullet hit one soldier.

Actually if you would listen to the reds you would know that if you shoot at human beings it kills them. That is not just a red propaganda lie but the truth.

If the government gives the order to shoot at people they are indeed responsible if someone dies and not the victim. Killing people is a crime, it is called murder.

Really? War is murder? If a madman rapes my wife and attempts to kill me and I shoot him dead it is murder? When a policeman shoots a criminal in the commission of a violent act it is murder? Sorry, but I think you are incorrect.

Soldiers are there to protect the public. Red shirts are menacing the public. It is the duty of the security forces to use whatever force is necessary to protect the public. Moreover, the armed red shirts have already killed security forces (murdered if you prefer) and possibly some unarmed civilians. The red shirts deliberately sent the caravan out. They then proceeded to attack the government road block. Therefore the red shirt leaders are entirely to blame for any accidental deaths arising from their illegal actions.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Also why aint Thaivisa posting news about the democrat dissolution case. Today the Constitution court accepted EC's case involving 28 (or was it 29...) million baht. The democrats have 15 days to present their defence. That case is moving much faster then anticipated, and will be hard for the Democrats to stall. Might see a ruling before june?

Incorrect. "The Democrat Party is required to submit a defence statement in 15 days of receiving the court's notice"

Correct. Anyone that thinks this case will be decided upon quickly is clearly unaware of the staggering amount of evidence to be presented and waded through, the lengthy list of witnesses to be called, previous episodes of dissolutions, well pretty much... everything about the case.

This will take until next year to decide on.

No, never blame the peaceful reds for anything! They just walked in peace to take back a roadblock. Of course it wass wrong of the army to take that roadblock away. How can they do so to this peaceful movement. Yes, you are so right, nothing that happend has anything to do with the red shirts. I get so sick and tired about this nonsens defend of EVERYTHING the reds do.

You would get more respect from me if you defend them for what they do and defend their aim to do so.

your security guards roots will most probably be in Isaan, so will nearly all your taxi drivers, motorbike taxi drivers, your chamber maids, most of your bar workers, street cleaners, market workers, noodle sellers, construction workers etc. In fact if they went home your so called middle class bangkokians would have to get their hands dirty.... oh no cant do that. Bangkok only functions bcos of migrant workers and if they went home on mass... Bkk would shut in 12 hours

Your knowledge of Thailand is clearly lacking a lot. According to you there is no poor people nor any migrant workers from other parts of the nation, the only reason BKK is functioning is because poor people is kind enough to work and no Bangkokian has ever gotten their hand dirty and recent having to...and people from the north's roots 'probably is Isaan'.

"I object, your honor. Misleading, inflammatory and the counsel is making statements not supported by facts."

Objection sustained.

Both BBC and CNN have said that the soldier that died was shot from behind in the head by police forces.

Btw, if the clip of the cops on bikes is infact the video of the fatal shooting, then he was clerly not hit 'from behind in the head'(sic) as he was traveling towards the police and soldiers...

Just adding a note that quoting CNN and BBC doesn't seem to put you at full facts...

Really? War is murder? If a madman rapes my wife and attempts to kill me and I shoot him dead it is murder? When a policeman shoots a criminal in the commission of a violent act it is murder? Sorry, but I think you are incorrect.

Soldiers are there to protect the public. Red shirts are menacing the public. It is the duty of the security forces to use whatever force is necessary to protect the public. Moreover, the armed red shirts have already killed security forces (murdered if you prefer) and possibly some unarmed civilians. The red shirts deliberately sent the caravan out. They then proceeded to attack the government road block. Therefore the red shirt leaders are entirely to blame for any accidental deaths arising from their illegal actions.

What was the road block good for? Did it brought back peace, the thai people together and solved the crisis?

The red shirts don't want rape your wife, who told you that horror story?

They rally against the current govenment, the influence of the military in politics and demand a new election.

The reds shirts murdered security forces? Are you sure? Got any source for that claim?

What was the road block good for? Did it brought back peace, the thai people together and solved the crisis?

The red shirts don't want rape your wife, who told you that horror story?

They rally against the current govenment, the influence of the military in politics and demand a new election.

The reds shirts murdered security forces? Are you sure? Got any source for that claim?

What? You said that killing is murder. I was providing examples where that is not the case.

Red shirts did murder security forces (red shirts includes black shirts and their supporters with military backgrounds). Have you not watched any of the video? Have you not read any newspaper articles? There is no question of this.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

You are correct and mazeltov is using a fallacious argument.

Since murder is the UNLAWFUL killing of a human being then when the police and military are enforcing the law they cannot be guilty of "murder".

However, it IS possible for the Reds to be considered guilty of murder even when someone else has pulled the trigger. I am unsure if this applies in Thailand.

Felony murder is when, during the commission of a different crime, someone is killed. The person that is breaking the law is the person charged with Felony Murder. (This is a drastic simplification of a very difficult legal concept.)

Btw, if the clip of the cops on bikes is infact the video of the fatal shooting, then he was clerly not hit 'from behind in the head'(sic) as he was traveling towards the police and soldiers...

Just adding a note that quoting CNN and BBC doesn't seem to put you at full facts...

Beside the vague paraphrasing of the CNN and BBC news by deadsnoopy no one else but you claimed something different about the video.

But thanks that you rectified it now, your previous comment left some people in confusion.

The Friendly fire incident

This incident is not the lethal one afaik.

Was there more than 1 friendly fire incident today?

Do you have more information regarding the lethal one?

seems to me that the Reds are simply asking for an election and in any country that claims to be a democracy they would not brand such people as terrorists - the disenfranchised in many other countries have resported in such circumstances to terrorism and mass murder - god forbid that it ever turns that ugly in Thailand - for goodness sake why not have an election ?

Edited by jimflan

What seems to be forgotten here is that they are asking for an election - seems to me that in most countries the disenfrancised resort to far more violent means than we have seen from the Reds and for asking for an election they are being branded as terrororists ....

Nonsense. If they were merely asking for an election they would have gone home after being told 'no' several weeks ago.

Throwing a tantrum for not getting exactly what you point at is NOT the sign of a grown up.

More blood on the Red's hands.

I was there you muppet - the solider was shot by one of his own side - the Reds were unarmed and not even aggressive - they stopped ourt bus to check out for troops/police but did so politely

What seems to be forgotten here is that they are asking for an election - seems to me that in most countries the disenfrancised resort to far more violent means than we have seen from the Reds and for asking for an election they are being branded as terrororists ....

Hmm. Perhaps from your vantage you didn't see everything. Video clearly shows red shirt protesters (without red shirts) attacking the government roadblock. The video also shows one of the protesters carrying a pistol.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

The USA has just updated their stance on travel to Thailand

Bangkok ACS ([email protected])

Updated on April 28, 2010

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand of ongoing demonstrations in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, demonstrations in Chiang Mai, and other incidents throughout Thailand, all U.S. citizens should avoid nonessential travel to Thailand. This replaces the Travel Alert dated April 22, 2010, to update information on security concerns and to recommend against nonessential travel to Thailand at this time. This Travel Alert will expire on July 28, 2010.

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (aka UDD or “red-shirts”) continues to demonstrate in central Bangkok. The UDD may change or expand its demonstration locations at any time. Various other groups are engaging in pro-government or counter-demonstrations in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. There have been several minor clashes between the UDD and other demonstrators. These clashes may escalate with no warning. For areas currently affected by demonstrations, please refer to local media.

Political demonstrations by the UDD are expected to continue in Bangkok indefinitely. As a result, traffic congestion and difficulty of movement is possible throughout Bangkok, and traffic patterns may change unexpectedly as demonstrators block roads. Other forms of transportation, such as the BTS Skytrain, may close unexpectedly in response to threats or incidents, such as occurred on April 27, when protesters jumped onto the tracks and tried to block the tracks with tires.

There have been numerous incidents of explosive attacks, including several isolated grenade attacks, in and around Bangkok and Chiang Mai over the past two months. Additional explosive devices have been discovered before detonation. Some of these incidents occurred at or near areas frequented by U.S. citizens. These incidents appear to be motivated by domestic politics and do not appear to be acts of international terrorism. The possibility of more such attacks cannot be ruled out. U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise caution and vigilance at all times. Immediately report to law enforcement or security personnel any unattended packages or bags or suspicious objects in public areas.

Supporters of a pro-Government movement known as “mixed shirts,” “no color,” or “multi-color” have begun nightly demonstrations in the Nimmanhemin area of Chiang Mai city, near Chiang Mai University, an area frequented by U.S. citizens. Media report that these supporters intend to repeat these nightly demonstrations indefinitely. Supporters of the UDD may confront these demonstrations. In the past, similar confrontations have turned violent.

On Saturday, April 10, UDD and Royal Thai Government security forces clashed in the Phanfa Bridge area, resulting in a number of fatalities. On April 27, UDD protesters clashed with police near the Thai Air Force headquarters at Don Muang. The UDD stopped and entered vehicles looking for military and police personnel. Media report that UDD leaders plan to block the movement of security forces from the provinces to Bangkok.

UDD supporters have threatened demonstrations in the provinces if its current demonstrations in Bangkok are forcibly dispersed, as occurred April 9, 10, and 24. Therefore, U.S. citizens should monitor public sources of information to stay abreast of the latest information concerning demonstrations and areas to avoid.

On the evening of April 22, 2010, several explosions occurred in the Silom/Sala Daeng area at the Sala Daeng BTS Skytrain station causing a number of injuries, including at least one fatality. The possibility of more such attacks cannot be ruled out. U.S. citizens should avoid travel to and lodging in this area.

The Royal Thai Government, under the order of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, is still operating under a State of Emergency in Bangkok and surrounding areas, that grants special powers to the Royal Thai Police and Army. It is unclear what additional steps the Royal Thai Government may take under the State of Emergency.

U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little or no warning. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and to exercise caution in their movements around Bangkok.

The Department strongly encourages U.S. citizens in Thailand to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or through the State Department's travel registration website. For information on general crime and security issues, U.S. citizens may also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Thailand and the Worldwide Caution, located at the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website. U.S. citizens may also obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada, or 202-501-4444 from overseas.

The American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy Bangkok is located at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The emergency after-hours telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

As a reminder, U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution and good judgment while travelling in Bangkok and should be aware of the possibility of disturbances elsewhere. Americans are also encouraged to:

defer non-essential travel to Bangkok, but must also determine for themselves what is essential and what is not;

be prepared for the possibility of more violence. Should U.S. citizens suspect violence in their vicinity, they should stay indoors and, if they hear explosions nearby, take care to avoid windows.;

as a precaution, U.S. citizens residing in Bangkok should have enough food, water, candles and flashlights in their homes to last at least three days;

register with the U.S. Embassy website and receive the latest Warden Messages;

refer to the Department of State’s travel website, which includes information on the Department of State’s role in a crisis abroad and on crisis preparedness;

and monitor local media for the latest information.

seems to me that the Reds are simply asking for an election and in any country that claims to be a democracy they would not brand such people as terrorists - the disenfranchised in many other countries have resported in such circumstances to terrorism and mass murder - god forbid that it ever turns that ugly in Thailand - for goodness sake why not have an election ?

No they are not.

There are elections scheduled.

Just not at the time wanted by your hero Thaksin.

after your edit to remove the claim you were there, that no reds were armed and that we were muppets, you have had a change of heart?

perhaps you saw the footage here by Aljezeera cameraman that clearly shows a red protester sneaking around with a cocked 9mm pistol

so much for the unarmed reds you were happy to defend before your edit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25G2D-5iogI

The USA has just updated their stance on travel to Thailand
Bangkok ACS ([email protected])

Updated on April 28, 2010

The State Department alerts U.S. citizens traveling to and residing in Thailand of ongoing demonstrations in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. Due to escalating violence in central Bangkok, demonstrations in Chiang Mai, and other incidents throughout Thailand, all U.S. citizens should avoid nonessential travel to Thailand. This replaces the Travel Alert dated April 22, 2010, to update information on security concerns and to recommend against nonessential travel to Thailand at this time. This Travel Alert will expire on July 28, 2010.

The United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (aka UDD or “red-shirts”) continues to demonstrate in central Bangkok. The UDD may change or expand its demonstration locations at any time. Various other groups are engaging in pro-government or counter-demonstrations in Bangkok and Chiang Mai. There have been several minor clashes between the UDD and other demonstrators. These clashes may escalate with no warning. For areas currently affected by demonstrations, please refer to local media.

Political demonstrations by the UDD are expected to continue in Bangkok indefinitely. As a result, traffic congestion and difficulty of movement is possible throughout Bangkok, and traffic patterns may change unexpectedly as demonstrators block roads. Other forms of transportation, such as the BTS Skytrain, may close unexpectedly in response to threats or incidents, such as occurred on April 27, when protesters jumped onto the tracks and tried to block the tracks with tires.

There have been numerous incidents of explosive attacks, including several isolated grenade attacks, in and around Bangkok and Chiang Mai over the past two months. Additional explosive devices have been discovered before detonation. Some of these incidents occurred at or near areas frequented by U.S. citizens. These incidents appear to be motivated by domestic politics and do not appear to be acts of international terrorism. The possibility of more such attacks cannot be ruled out. U.S. citizens are reminded to exercise caution and vigilance at all times. Immediately report to law enforcement or security personnel any unattended packages or bags or suspicious objects in public areas.

Supporters of a pro-Government movement known as “mixed shirts,” “no color,” or “multi-color” have begun nightly demonstrations in the Nimmanhemin area of Chiang Mai city, near Chiang Mai University, an area frequented by U.S. citizens. Media report that these supporters intend to repeat these nightly demonstrations indefinitely. Supporters of the UDD may confront these demonstrations. In the past, similar confrontations have turned violent.

On Saturday, April 10, UDD and Royal Thai Government security forces clashed in the Phanfa Bridge area, resulting in a number of fatalities. On April 27, UDD protesters clashed with police near the Thai Air Force headquarters at Don Muang. The UDD stopped and entered vehicles looking for military and police personnel. Media report that UDD leaders plan to block the movement of security forces from the provinces to Bangkok.

UDD supporters have threatened demonstrations in the provinces if its current demonstrations in Bangkok are forcibly dispersed, as occurred April 9, 10, and 24. Therefore, U.S. citizens should monitor public sources of information to stay abreast of the latest information concerning demonstrations and areas to avoid.

On the evening of April 22, 2010, several explosions occurred in the Silom/Sala Daeng area at the Sala Daeng BTS Skytrain station causing a number of injuries, including at least one fatality. The possibility of more such attacks cannot be ruled out. U.S. citizens should avoid travel to and lodging in this area.

The Royal Thai Government, under the order of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, is still operating under a State of Emergency in Bangkok and surrounding areas, that grants special powers to the Royal Thai Police and Army. It is unclear what additional steps the Royal Thai Government may take under the State of Emergency.

U.S. citizens are reminded that even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little or no warning. U.S. citizens are urged to avoid the areas that may be targeted for demonstrations and to exercise caution in their movements around Bangkok.

The Department strongly encourages U.S. citizens in Thailand to register with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Bangkok or through the State Department's travel registration website. For information on general crime and security issues, U.S. citizens may also consult the Department of State's Country Specific Information for Thailand and the Worldwide Caution, located at the Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs website. U.S. citizens may also obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada, or 202-501-4444 from overseas.

The American Citizen Services section of the U.S. Embassy Bangkok is located at 95 Wireless Road, Bangkok 10330, Thailand. The American Citizen Services Unit of the U.S. Embassy can be reached by calling 66-2-205-4049 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The emergency after-hours telephone number is 66-2-205-4000.

The U.S. Consulate General in Chiang Mai is located at 387 Wichayanond Road in Chiang Mai. The American Citizen Services Unit of the Consulate General can be reached by calling 66-53-107-777 and by e-mail at [email protected]. The after-hours emergency telephone number is 66-81-881-1878.

As a reminder, U.S. citizens are urged to exercise caution and good judgment while travelling in Bangkok and should be aware of the possibility of disturbances elsewhere. Americans are also encouraged to:

defer non-essential travel to Bangkok, but must also determine for themselves what is essential and what is not;

be prepared for the possibility of more violence. Should U.S. citizens suspect violence in their vicinity, they should stay indoors and, if they hear explosions nearby, take care to avoid windows.;

as a precaution, U.S. citizens residing in Bangkok should have enough food, water, candles and flashlights in their homes to last at least three days;

register with the U.S. Embassy website and receive the latest Warden Messages;

refer to the Department of State’s travel website, which includes information on the Department of State’s role in a crisis abroad and on crisis preparedness;

and monitor local media for the latest information.

That's a pretty detailed run down of events from the US State Department. It contained some very serious warnings. I'm a little surprised, but then again they hit the nail on the head. The crisis in Thailand is potentially quite dangerous. I hope no innocents are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

TR INN: Red guards captured a man "in Army uniform", interrogated him bhind Red stage, & found out he was one of them, albeit a drunken one.

Oops! :):D

FF

I suppose he was a fake red in a fake army uniform. And a red supported drunk? Unheard of. Oops for sure wacko.gif