Swimming Pools

iloveny

I have friends coming in a couple of weeks time, and they are staying in a hotel that doesn't have a swimming pool, and i know they will want a to just chill out by the pool for a day or 2.

What are the best outdoor pools in chiang mai(incl condos and hotels) available to the public?

I took some young friends to a nice public swimming pool about a month ago. The kids had a ball and even after 4 hours I had a hard time getting them out of the pool to leave. I had to bribe them with big Macs at McDonalds.

The pool is to the south east of the inner city (Moat area) and just off hwy 1141, and to the west of the Pa Daet bridge over the Ping River. According to my Chiang Mai map, If you follow Th Chang Khlan road south, then the turn off is at Th Chiang Mai Land and the pool is not far from the TAT Registration office. It shows up well on Google Earth as a bright blue rectangle.

GPS co-ordinates are 18 45 .949 N by 98 59 .547 E

By Google Earth it is 18 45 56.95 N by 98 59 32.84 E

the centre of the universe is nice and is open to the public.

http://www.therealcentreoftheuniverse.com/

200bht a person, 500bht a family ....... they are joking.

Huay Tung Tao 20bht per person (good cheap food and beer), large lake, thatched huts

Chiangmailand 30-50 bht (good cheap food) massive pool.

WangTaan Resort (25km down 118 near Doi Saket) 30bht adult, 20bht child (good food, mountain views)

What is with these places that charge rip off prices?

Edited by sarahsbloke

Huay Tung Tao 20bht per person (good cheap food and beer), large lake, thatched huts

WangTaan Resort (25km down 118 near Doi Saket) 30bht adult, 20bht child (good food, mountain views)

Keeps the riff raff out :)

well the OP did specify a swimming pool rather than a lake. for a visiting tourist 200 baht for a day at a nice pool is sod all.

I'm not sure if your friends have young children. We do and usually go to the pools 4-5 times per week. Here are some good ones for lounging....

1. Laguna Moobaan Pool. It is a large multi-level saltwater pool with slides. There is a Wawee Coffee attached to the pool. Lounge chairs and lot's of sun. Adults are 100 baht.

2. Lake View Park II. (Corner of Mae Jo Road and Outer Ring Road). A very clean pool run by two brothers who speak fluent English. The pool has a menu which includes really great brownies. Lot's of seats/chairs around the pool. Some are shaded. Adults are 40 baht.

3. Mae Rim Whale Park. Very friendly staff. They have picnic tables around the pool and serve great food. Not really great lounging chairs though. Adults are 50 baht (if I remember correctly).

4. Imperial Chiang Mai. Large 50m pool with a kid's pool. It's usually quiet but the pool is large enough that there is plenty of space for everyone. The hotel pool serves food. I haven't been to this place in a few months but it used to be 100 baht per adult. I think that the prices have decreased due to the low tourist season.

5. Land and Houses Pool on Mae Jo Road. It's large and plenty of lounge chairs. 100 baht per adult. The pool has some great fake-rock formations that make it feel more natural. However; we find the pool to be not as clean as the other places. There is a snack shop attached to the pool but no restaurant.

6. Jia Jia Sport Club has a partially covered pool for people who want their kids out of the sun. Price is 50 baht per adult. Not the greatest place in terms of ambience or lounging though.

7. Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel Pool. It is large and has a lot of space for lounging. I can't remember the price but it is convenient for people who live in the central area of the city.

All of these pools are kid-friendly and have a kid's pool or at least a shallow area.

Edited by earlofwindermere

I'm not sure if your friends have young children. We do and usually go to the pools 4-5 times per week. Here are some good ones for lounging....

1. Laguna Moobaan Pool. It is a large multi-level saltwater pool with slides. There is a Wawee Coffee attached to the pool. Lounge chairs and lot's of sun. Adults are 100 baht.

I just looked at the Laguna website, and it states...

Welcome to our exclusive residents only club house. The club house comprises of an adults swimming pool, a children’s swimming pool with 15 meter long slide, a fully equipped modern gymnasium, male and female saunas, a tennis court, a knock board court, a basketball court, male and female changing facilities, a Mini Mart shop and a Wawee Coffee shop. All of our work is designed and built to the highest standards of quality and safety, allowing our residents the freedom to relax in this beautiful environment

Is it now open to the public?

Iain

Another option... http://www.horizonvillage.net/index.htm

About 15 Kilos out of town on the 118 to Doi Saket. Saltwater pool, garden, zoo, bikes, museum, restaurant 100 baht for pool.

THe gardens are good but the pool costs 120bht per person and no loungers, food very expensive.

If you are going this far do another 8 km up the road to Wang Taan resort, bigger nicer pool, 30bht adult, 20bht child

Edited by sarahsbloke

Another option... http://www.horizonvillage.net/index.htm

About 15 Kilos out of town on the 118 to Doi Saket. Saltwater pool, garden, zoo, bikes, museum, restaurant 100 baht for pool.

THe gardens are good but the pool costs 120bht per person and no loungers, food very expensive.

If you are going this far do another 8 km up the road to Wang Taan resort, bigger nicer pool, 30bht adult, 20bht child

That should read Wang Tarn Resort http://www.wangtarnresort.com/activities_en.html

Beautiful place......

^ thanks for that, better luck with the apostrophes next time! :)

Look out - the grammar police are out! Better luck with your capitalisation next time!!!

The Rincome Hotel on Nimmanhaemin Road is another option. It has a nice pool which is open to the public (sorry - can't remember how much is it for visitors).

I can say from experience that the pool at The Real Centre of the Universe is spotlessly clean & there are few times when kids are there. So it is a perfect place to relax in a sun-lounger, swim in the pool or eat at the pleasant restaurant that is ten steps from the water's edge. A bit out of the centre of town but well worth the journey & the price. See their website www.therealcenteoftheuniverse.com.

^ thanks for that, better luck with the apostrophes next time! :)

Look out - the grammar police are out! Better luck with your capitalisation next time!!!

The Rincome Hotel on Nimmanhaemin Road is another option. It has a nice pool which is open to the public (sorry - can't remember how much is it for visitors).

The Rincome never used to be open to the public. Is this something new since Wim left?

That should read Wang Tarn Resort

Looks like someone got the English translation wrong, the name in Thai script is deffo pronounced 'Wang Taan Reesor(t)'

How on earth would you know, you've only been living here a few months. Mastered the Thai language and script in record time did we?

2. Lake View Park II. (Corner of Mae Jo Road and Outer Ring Road). A very clean pool run by two brothers who speak fluent English. The pool has a menu which includes really great brownies. Lot's of seats/chairs around the pool. Some are shaded. Adults are 40 baht.

3. Mae Rim Whale Park. Very friendly staff. They have picnic tables around the pool and serve great food. Not really great lounging chairs though. Adults are 50 baht (if I remember correctly).

4. Imperial Chiang Mai. Large 50m pool with a kid's pool. It's usually quiet but the pool is large enough that there is plenty of space for everyone. The hotel pool serves food. I haven't been to this place in a few months but it used to be 100 baht per adult. I think that the prices have decreased due to the low tourist season.

5. Land and Houses Pool on Mae Jo Road. It's large and plenty of lounge chairs. 100 baht per adult. The pool has some great fake-rock formations that make it feel more natural. However; we find the pool to be not as clean as the other places. There is a snack shop attached to the pool but no restaurant.

6. Jia Jia Sport Club has a partially covered pool for people who want their kids out of the sun. Price is 50 baht per adult. Not the greatest place in terms of ambience or lounging though.

7. Lotus Pang Suan Kaew Hotel Pool. It is large and has a lot of space for lounging. I can't remember the price but it is convenient for people who live in the central area of the city.

All of these pools are kid-friendly and have a kid's pool or at least a shallow area.

Good list. This should be stickied somewhere.

How on earth would you know, you've only been living here a few months. Mastered the Thai language and script in record time did we?

Yes I can read Thai script (not all foreigners are buffalo), so can my wife (Thai), so can my daughter (Thai)

water's not that clean

I agree, the water was very murky yesterday, not seen it like that before.

Edited by sarahsbloke

ooh! Sarah's bloke... spooky! I was there twice yesterday, does that mean we overlapped perhaps?

I did see the cleaner out though so maybe they cleaned it up a a bit overnight...

I was just trying to put people off, as I like to have it nice and quiet :)

david

• 2 weeks later...
ooh! Sarah's bloke... spooky! I was there twice yesterday, does that mean we overlapped perhaps?

I did see the cleaner out though so maybe they cleaned it up a a bit overnight...

I was just trying to put people off, as I like to have it nice and quiet :)

david

www.kwanwiangclubhouse.com about 1km away is far better,cleaner and cheaper

Good list. This should be stickied somewhere.

Why not add them here? http://directory.thaivisa.com/thailand/chi.../swimming-pools

I doubt many people on the forum even know of the directory. I certainly didn't. After looking at it, I still think that the forum is better

I'd like to add another great find....

Green Valley has a swimming pool - huge, perfectly clean and nobody was there. They also have lounge chairs and sell food. 100 baht per adult. The pool uses the JD pools system. It keeps the water sparkly clean but for some reason, it makes my son's skin itch. If it weren't for this, it could become our new favourite family pool. (Currently, Lake View Park 2 is our place of choice).