Chiang Mai Fc

thaimiller

Sweet, the new team is African! That means we'll be sure to rule the league next year, right? ;)

Seriously though...you mean we can go now to watch the tryouts and practices?? I don't suppose any of them happen on weekends? This sounds like just what I need to tide me over through this soccer/football drought until March...

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, the new team is African! That means we'll be sure to rule the league next year, right? ;)

Seriously though...you mean we can go now to watch the tryouts and practices?? I don't suppose any of them happen on weekends? This sounds like just what I need to tide me over through this soccer/football drought until March...

No need to use the 'S' word. It is rude and offensive and it will not be tolerated. I believe that you are passionate about the team, but their is no need for foul and abusive language.

THE 'S' word is banned! Henceforth!

Not sure about trials at the weekend Sadie, but there is definatley another one this afternoon around 4pm at Tessabaan stadium in town. And i have to agree with Slinky the "S" word is banned :D:D

Do they all have work permits?

If foreigners are allowed then I don't think it matters if their from Africa or Antarctica right?

All Thai teams are allowed 5 overseas players in the squad, but most teams are trying to get it changed to seven, there will be a decision regarding this before the season starts.

Edited by thaimiller

The Term Soccer Comes from Country that Created Association Football

The term comes from the same country thought to have created the game, England, but is now almost never used there. For the record in addition to South Africa soccer is also used in the U.S., Canada, Australia and Ireland (which also uses football) meaning there is a total population of over 400 million largely English speaking people - French-Canadians use le soccer - using the term (immigrants in those countries may still use 'football'). There are some usages of soccer in New Zealand.

Naming Football 'Soccer' Credited to Oxford Student Brown

An Oxford student named Charles Wreford Brown is credited with taking the s-o-c in association and first calling the game soccer. References to him are easy to find but there is no written example of his using the word. The usage spread from Oxford and Clive Toye, a sports reporter from England before moving to the States to become a general manager for professional soccer teams, has said the word soccer was used in England until the middle of the 20th century.

<br style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">Freedom of speech. The English don't rule the world anymore.

The term comes from the same country thought to have created the game, England, but is now almost never used there. For the record in addition to South Africa soccer is also used in the U.S., Canada, Australia and Ireland (which also uses football) meaning there is a total population of over 400 million largely English speaking people - French-Canadians use le soccer - using the term (immigrants in those countries may still use 'football'). There are some usages of soccer in New Zealand.

An Oxford student named Charles Wreford Brown is credited with taking the s-o-c in association and first calling the game soccer. References to him are easy to find but there is no written example of his using the word. The usage spread from Oxford and Clive Toye, a sports reporter from England before moving to the States to become a general manager for professional soccer teams, has said the word soccer was used in England until the middle of the 20th century.

<br style="font-size: 12px; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; ">Freedom of speech. The English don't rule the world anymore.

[/quote

Maybe the posts previous to this weren't as humerous as everyone else who commented on them seemed to think they were???????? :o :o :o

Fine post Mr Krung, I do agree with you on your posts, BUT

The Americans have their football, which is very popular, but how often is the foot used in the game.

The Aussies have their football, which is again very popular and the foot is used a lot more, but still the hands come into play a lot.

And don't even get me started on GAY-LIC football.

For those of you missing the games now the season has ended, you will be happy to hear that a friendly game has been organised for Sunday 30th January AWAY at Lamphun. Kick Off 2pm, so I suppose all the new Chiang Mai players will be there, also some of last years Chiang Mai FC players will be there but playing for Lamphun FC.

post-35045-0-48709000-1295332260_thumb.j

Edited by thaimiller

^^^ REALLY. I think I can be there...so 75% see you there! (Can we sit on the shady side this time? 0_0" )

Yes I agree, the other side is ok for a 6pm kick off...lol, hopefully see you there (where we used to sit before) but im only 75% sure Im going also. Prior plans that im trying to get out of.

Cheers Thaimiller, hopefully will get along. Must be one of the shortest pre-seasons in the world. Any word on when the fixtures are getting sorted. Think it will start mid-feburary. Also was reading about season tickets for 1200 baht which includes a free scarf. Think they are increasing tickets next season to 60 baht for the seated area and a 40 for the terrace, so work out the maths if you will save a few satangs.

I think the final score was 4-1, CMFC of course! They played 3 or 4 "halves" (guess we can't call them halves if there are more than 2, eh?) They substituted the entire team once or twice. Sorry I'm not more sure on that, but I was talking to friends and watching the game, plus it all seemed pretty casual out there, with players showing up halfway into the match and changing into their shorts on the bench, stretching, training, frolicking, milling about, etc. At one point everyone was out by the team bench, and that is a BIG team!

There was a guy who came out who looked...not Thai, and the crowd got very excited and called his name when he came out of the locker room. It sounded like "Jimmy" but after reading Mr. Clough's post above, it was probably "Kimi" short for Kimiyaki. He never did play on the field, just trained with a trainer next to the team bench the entire time. They're showing him off, maybe? Anyway, he is in goooood shape, especially evidenced when his shirt raised up during training and his abs were displayed to the crowd smile.gif (Sorry, boys, that's what you get after an entire season of discussing the Soccerettes!)

I'm not sure how many of the old team are still around...doesn't look like very many. My favorite player Brett was not there. I was speaking to a couple of nice gentlemen in the audience and they said only 4 players are left from the old team. I'm not sure who.

Anyway, it was a lovely Saturday afternoon. No charge for the game, so spent my 30 baht on one more beer ;) It was very quiet as well - I think around 100 people attended (maybe 200, I'm bad at estimating crowds). It was pretty cool, and the new team looks pretty good.

A couple of nice gentlemen, you can't possibly mean Alfie in that statement.

LOL, is that who it was? He asked if I was Sadie from TV, but seemed reluctant to reveal his own secret identity. He was with another gentleman who (unbelievably!) has never heard of ThaiVisa. Anyway, both of them were exceedingly polite and friendly. I can't speak to what they are like the rest of the time ;)

A couple of nice gentlemen, you can't possibly mean Alfie in that statement.

LOL, is that who it was? He asked if I was Sadie from TV, but seemed reluctant to reveal his own secret identity. He was with another gentleman who (unbelievably!) has never heard of ThaiVisa. Anyway, both of them were exceedingly polite and friendly. I can't speak to what they are like the rest of the time ;)

It wasn't that i was being reluctant Sadie, it's just that where i come from it would deem to be being forward to offer a lady your name if she does not ask of it :o:D.

A couple of nice gentlemen, you can't possibly mean Alfie in that statement

I think what Sadie is trying to say is that we are the first polite gentleman she has met at Chiang Mai football :rolleyes::D

It wasn't that i was being reluctant Sadie, it's just that where i come from it would deem to be being forward to offer a lady your name if she does not ask of it :o:D.

Wot??? You said, "Are you Sadie from TV?" And I said, "It depends on who's asking..." O_o At which point you demurred. :P

Wot??? You said, "Are you Sadie from TV?" And I said, "It depends on who's asking..." O_o At which point you demurred. :P

But you knew who was asking as i was talking to you :( Seriously, didn't hear you .............. i demurred ;) i would never do that at a football match :D.

Ah, well. You probably couldn't hear me over the sound of that ghastly weed-whacker go-cart vehicle that kept roaring around and around outside...seriously, that thing was about to make me go mental!! annoyed.gif Nice to meet you, anyway.

In other news, what do you all think about starting a fresh new CMFC thread for the new season/team/division? This 20-pager is pretty impressive, but it's a bit tough for a newbie to find out the information they might need without combing through the entire thing. Also, if we have a new thread ("CMFC 2011 season" or whatever - are they still going to be called CMFC?!), is there a way to make the OP editable forever, so we can update with new information as needed? An example:

Chiang Mai FC

Date of next game: ______________________

Time: ___________________

League standings: ____________________

Meeting beforehand at: _____________________

etc., etc.

Anyway, sound off below! (Was this already the plan anyway?)