Bangkok: Policeman Killed, 7 Policemen, 2 Civilians Injured In Double Attacks

webfact

Mods, if you find this inappropriate, feel free to delete - which I guess you would :)

I haven't seen this posted before, and I'm only thinking out loud here...

The desire of the government and others is to disperse the red shirts.

The main red shirt main camp is surrounded by stacks of tyres they have erected, some of which reportedly have kerosene in them. If, after carefully checking the wind, the army were to send in some troops with flame-throwers and light three sides of the tyre wall, it would force the protesters out through the open fourth side (assuming there are four sides, there may be six or seven, but the basic assertion remains). It would make breathing difficult for many, but that is preferable to taking a bullet or shrapnel.

At the same time, put a gauntlet of several thousand soldiers with gas masks outside the fire-free side to check for weapons and then move the people into waiting buses, and take them to a soccer stadium; there they can get treatment for smoke inhalation, and line up for buses to take them back home, whether that is Issan or Bangkok.

Then the fire department can move in and foam the tyres. It would no doubt take several days to ensure the fire is completely out - tyre fires are very nasty - but if the red shirts were going to torch them anyway, this is a way to control the fire so that people can escape with their lives.

This takes also takes away the threat by the red shirts against the armed forces, which would have them crashing through a wall of blazing tyres, sharpened bamboo sticks, and razor wire.

A couple hours of misery versus death by bullets from both sides? Perhaps a bit Machiavellian, but since it appears the government will have to use force to disperse the reds, would this be a chance to do so with the minimum of casualties?

I certainly don't know. Better minds than mine exist on TV, and I'd really like to hear what you have to say....of course, constructive criticism only, please.

Well trying to be as constructive as possible the idea is barmy. With 5-10 thousand people trying to get out of one exit, the chances are there would be hundreds of men and particularly women and children that would be crushed to death in the ensuing, inevitable panic. You are right, tyre smoke is a nasty thing. Are you aware that most victims that die in house fires do so from smoke inhalation, not flames. Severe smoke inhalation is a severe injury and can leave you debilitated for life. The tyre smoke is intensely poisonous and would kill many hundreds, if not thousands of people if there were no way out, and 10 000 people being herded on to buses is not going to be a quick job.

The inferno would be dramatic. What about all the adjoining city buildings that the tyre barricades are up against?

Gas Masks are not designed for the purpose you describe and they would not work in an environment that was heavily contaminated with tyre smoke. They have filters designed to take out specific particles. Note firemen do not go in to a hazard area with 'gas masks', they have a full face, sealed portable oxygen system.

There is no need for soldiers to be running over bamboo sticks and razor wire, you just have bulldozers go in first and clear the crap out of the way.

Sorry but your idea is totally unworkable, but brainstorming is a good idea as that is the birth of most solutions. Back to the drawing board

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In Belgium the Parliament has dissolved itself on Thursday 6th May in the evening (local time).

Not unlike the Constitutions of the US, France and many other countries, the Belgian Constitution is based on Montesquieu’s trias politica principle and the Parliament is an independent body, free from interference by the Government and the Court System.

In Belgium it is unthinkable that a Member of Parliament is deposed by a judge.

On Sunday 13th June there will be elections.

The Belgian Constitution requires elections within 40 days after the dissolution of Parliament.

The Reds may have won this battle, but there are now deep rooted hatreds that never existed in the past. This thing isn't over by a long shot.

Deep rooted hatred on this forum perhaps. The rest of the country will get on with things just fine. Only area of concern during the election that I can see would be Newin's home turf.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Mods, if you find this inappropriate, feel free to delete - which I guess you would :)

The main red shirt main camp is surrounded by stacks of tyres they have erected, some of which reportedly have kerosene in them. If, after carefully checking the wind, the army were to send in some troops with flame-throwers and light three sides of the tyre wall, it would force the protesters out through the open fourth side (assuming there are four sides, there may be six or seven, but the basic assertion remains). It would make breathing difficult for many, but that is preferable to taking a bullet or shrapnel.

At the same time, put a gauntlet of several thousand soldiers with gas masks outside the fire-free side to check for weapons and then move the people into waiting buses, and take them to a soccer stadium; there they can get treatment for smoke inhalation, and line up for buses to take them back home, whether that is Issan or Bangkok.

Then the fire department can move in and foam the tyres. It would no doubt take several days to ensure the fire is completely out - tyre fires are very nasty - but if the red shirts were going to torch them anyway, this is a way to control the fire so that people can escape with their lives.

This takes also takes away the threat by the red shirts against the armed forces, which would have them crashing through a wall of blazing tyres, sharpened bamboo sticks, and razor wire.

A couple hours of misery versus death by bullets from both sides? Perhaps a bit Machiavellian, but since it appears the government will have to use force to disperse the reds, would this be a chance to do so with the minimum of casualties?

I certainly don't know. Better minds than mine exist on TV, and I'd really like to hear what you have to say....of course, constructive criticism only, please.

Or alternatively, and much less painfully. Stop all movements in and out of the encampment. After a few days or so the food and water will run out. It won't be too long before those in the camp will want to leave of their own accord.

Well trying to be as constructive as possible the idea is barmy. With 5-10 thousand people trying to get out of one exit, the chances are there would be hundreds of men and particularly women and children that would be crushed to death in the ensuing, inevitable panic. You are right, tyre smoke is a nasty thing. Are you aware that most victims that die in house fires do so from smoke inhalation, not flames. Severe smoke inhalation is a severe injury and can leave you debilitated for life. The tyre smoke is intensely poisonous and would kill many hundreds, if not thousands of people if there were no way out, and 10 000 people being herded on to buses is not going to be a quick job.

The inferno would be dramatic. What about all the adjoining city buildings that the tyre barricades are up against?

Gas Masks are not designed for the purpose you describe and they would not work in an environment that was heavily contaminated with tyre smoke. They have filters designed to take out specific particles. Note firemen do not go in to a hazard area with 'gas masks', they have a full face, sealed portable oxygen system.

There is no need for soldiers to be running over bamboo sticks and razor wire, you just have bulldozers go in first and clear the crap out of the way.

Sorry but your idea is totally unworkable, but brainstorming is a good idea as that is the birth of most solutions. Back to the drawing board

many countries successfully use horses to great effect, its tried and true. it sends people fleeing different directions, rather than one or two directions in packs. better yet, fewer injuries. would send them scattered and allow them to open roads, without the red shirts cosolidating so easily.

good solution to break up ratchaprasong, but even though it is effective, I don't see it being considered sadly enough. Much better alternative than gas, rubber bullets and thing sthat feed the fire. sends them retreating, but then they just regroup and go at it again.

Never seen any country in all my travels, with such a protester crisis.

Have you been cut off from the news? They're pretty much in agreement, with the rally ending likely by Monday.

Many of us don't believe the red leaders. They seem to be stalling for time. Clearly, Thaksin isn't happy. Why are they shipping in MORE reds if their intention is to leave so soon? Hopefully, you're right about this and they will leave SOON, but can't believe it until it actually happens.

:)

Mods, if you find this inappropriate, feel free to delete - which I guess you would :D

let me make it simple from your idea :

EMOTIONAL

- you may learn the 'watermelon' army

- also the 'tomato' police

- they just don't want to fight

RATIONAL

- you may note that even Thai police or soldiers don't have enough gas masks

- check what they had from the news of ThaiCom and of Apr 10 incidents

- training is just incompetence

I suppoer the idea of ending the rally, ending the violence. but force dispersal will turn 'out of control' in minutes

there is another point of view on the re-enforcement of Ratchaprasong: taking into account the Government difficulties, Red Shirts have to reinforce their strength to impose the Roadmap. On contrary of some opinions, this can help the Government to impose the roadmap against Yellow and multicolored movements.

That's some seriously backwards logic. Reinforcing the demonstrations is equivalent to hollering a big 'f' you at the government and spitting on the reconciliation. They have dragged their heels and thrown up barrier after barrier. They are showing themselves to be totally insincere. And they are responsible for last night's attacks whether their guys did it or not. They have never been about playing nice or by the rules. Reconciliation is not in their interests, nor is it in the interests of their paymaster.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Red-s...y-30128814.html

Red shirts protest to end Monday

Red shirts protest will be disbanded on May 10 (Monday) after a religious rite for those who were killed during the April 10 violence is held.

The May 10 marks one month anniversary of the clashes between the troops and red shirts protesters in which 25 were killed and 800 others were injured.

---

The United front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) will still join the reconciliation road map of the prime minister even though the peace talk climate was disrupted by bomb attack at Lumpini Park, UDD co-leader Natthawut Saikua said on Saturday.

Mr Natthawut condemned the bombers and called on the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situations (CRES) to stop threatening red-shirt protesters and try to arrest the bombers instead.

<Ratchaprasong News>

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

[quote

many countries successfully use horses to great effect, its tried and true. it sends people fleeing different directions, rather than one or two directions in packs. better yet, fewer injuries. would send them scattered and allow them to open roads, without the red shirts cosolidating so easily.

good solution to break up ratchaprasong, but even though it is effective, I don't see it being considered sadly enough. Much better alternative than gas, rubber bullets and thing sthat feed the fire. sends them retreating, but then they just regroup and go at it again.

Never seen any country in all my travels, with such a protester crisis.

Thoughtful response, Gemini, thank you. TBH, I had forgotten the crush that such a fire would bring upon the protesters. And while Scott tanks may be available, no, there certainly would be nowhere near enough. As you say, time for a rethink :-)

Tig, I do like your idea of horses, but having seen them used in Boston in 1970, I have to say that the dogs they had were much more effective. Seems that a lot of horses ended up riderless - just too many people in too small a space. Don't know if BKK has dogs, though, or enough of them and proper handlers. No, not soi dogs!!!

I agree, once Ratchprasong is emptied, they will reform - but probably in smaller groups, nearer to their home province. One hopes that the military out in the hinterlands would be more effective than the city...

Again, thanks to you both.

Red shirts protest will be disbanded on May 10 (Monday) after a religious rite for those who were killed during the April 10 violence is held.

The May 10 marks one month anniversary of the clashes between the troops and red shirts protesters in which 25 were killed and 800 others were injured.

---

The United front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) will still join the reconciliation road map of the prime minister even though the peace talk climate was disrupted by bomb attack at Lumpini Park, UDD co-leader Natthawut Saikua said on Saturday.

Mr Natthawut condemned the bombers and called on the Centre for the Resolution of Emergency Situations (CRES) to stop threatening red-shirt protesters and try to arrest the bombers instead.

I understand the claim that they will disperse, but will they really follow through remains to be seen. What about the 5000 coming from Khon Kaen to BKK this weekend? I am reluctant to believe some hardcore supporters will so easily disperse.

This is why it's taking some time. They need to reel in some of the hard core ones. A lady friend of mine has become really quite radicalized especially since the April 10 massacre. Those people need a couple days to focus on the future, and realize what the original goals were, and what has been achieved. And to consider that not much more can be gained, but a LOT can be lost, both to the stated Red goals and to Thailand as a whole.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Don't be silly, Thaksin isn't the enemy...he cut poverty in half during his term in office...the only PM to do anything for the poor...I don't get all these people blinded by hatred...hatred uses up so much energy...stop hating and open your mind...

You are blinded by propaganda if you think he cut poverty in half in any factual way. Or that is the only PM to do anything for the poor.

Oh dearest retarius - et tu Brutus? If you lived near the nightly show of brainwashing - which by this blog you must - may I respectfully request you wear ear plugs as it is obvious the subliminal rantings at 03:30 at 140 decibels of pain is upon your senses and made you quite mad. Failing that look where the hatred is emanating from now? I think they are dressed in red so should not be hard to miss... :)

---

I understand the claim that they will disperse, but will they really follow through remains to be seen. What about the 5000 coming from Khon Kaen to BKK this weekend? I am reluctant to believe some hardcore supporters will so easily disperse.

That was stated by Khwanchai only, and the others have said nothing about when they will disperse. Personally, I don't believe they will disperse and will continue to illegally defy the government. As far as I am concerned the only rite that should be held is a ritual to say farewell to the leaders as they are arrested and hopefully detained for a very long time for terrorism.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Reds-...r-30128817.html

In Belgium the Parliament has dissolved itself on Thursday 6th May in the evening (local time).

Not unlike the Constitutions of the US, France and many other countries, the Belgian Constitution is based on Montesquieu's trias politica principle and the Parliament is an independent body, free from interference by the Government and the Court System.

The Belgian Constitution requires elections within 40 days after the dissolution of Parliament.

I thought the parliament was the government.

"unthinkable that a Member of Parliament is deposed by a judge"

Does that mean an MP would still be an MP if he was in jail for murder? (that is, until the next election ofcourse. extreme case, I know) Just because it is "unthinkable" doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.

The difference would probably be that an MP would resign if they broke the law. In Thailand, an elected MP expects to get out of it some way, and people in his electorate would probably still vote for him regardless of how guilty he was of doing something.

Have you been cut off from the news? They're pretty much in agreement, with the rally ending likely by Monday.

They need to call for reinforcement from the north to end the rally on Monday?

Looking for the fresh apologies and excuses on Monday when the dispersal doesn't happen. One thing is certain, it won't be the red's fault. They can do no wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

Looking for the fresh apologies and excuses on Monday when the dispersal doesn't happen. One thing is certain, it won't be the red's fault. They can do no wrong.

No need to wait for Monday, Jingthing.

THE NATION: B4 red leaders started their meeting, Kwanchai was a different version of himself from yesterday. Now he wants to fight on.

I think a few people here should watch this very informative conducted by the ANU (Aust Nat Uni)

"

thanks for the link

Ist, 3rd and 4th presenters pretty good. The second guy doesn't have his "double standards" argument straight.

Last night there were two separate attacks, the drive by shooting, and the grenades. Is anyone sure that the same group is responsible for both? Could be that both the reds and the yellows are taking advantage of the situation to cause more mayhem. I for one won't be spending the evening near Silom tonight.

That's fortunate for you. I and my family live near Silom. I work near Silom. Perhaps this explains my growing impatience and frustration with the redshirt protesters. They need to be dispersed. This is not a simple matter of inconvenience, though the inconvenience has been enormous. It is the violence. The violence is too close to home. This lives of my family are in danger. There are tens of thousands of innocent families living in this area. Where are our rights? Where is our safety?

Edited by way2muchcoffee

The Reds may have won this battle, but there are now deep rooted hatreds that never existed in the past. This thing isn't over by a long shot.

Deep rooted hatred on this forum perhaps. The rest of the country will get on with things just fine. Only area of concern during the election that I can see would be Newin's home turf.

Dream on if you think it is emotional just for the people on TV. Last night to make sure it remained and issue, the Reds killed two police officers and wounded several other innocent people. These dead are not a figment of my imagination. This is real world. Wake up. It isn't over and it will not be forgotten.

Not unlike the Constitutions of the US, France and many other countries, the Belgian Constitution is based on Montesquieu's trias politica principle and the Parliament is an independent body, free from interference by the Government and the Court System.

I thought the parliament was the government.

"unthinkable that a Member of Parliament is deposed by a judge"

Does that mean an MP would still be an MP if he was in jail for murder? (that is, until the next election ofcourse. extreme case, I know) Just because it is "unthinkable" doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.

The difference would probably be that an MP would resign if they broke the law. In Thailand, an elected MP expects to get out of it some way, and people in his electorate would probably still vote for him regardless of how guilty he was of doing something.

In serious cases the Attorney General can request the Parliament to lift the “immunity” of a Member of Parliament (Senate or Chamber of Representatives).

(Compare it to the “immunity” of diplomats.)

Very often the Member of Parliament concerned will request the Parliament to lift his/her “immunity” because it is the only way to defend himself/herself in court.

If the charges against the Member of Parliament are justified and serious enough, he/she will, indeed, probably (be pushed to) resign.

No need to wait for Monday, Jingthing.

THE NATION: B4 red leaders started their meeting, Kwanchai was a different version of himself from yesterday. Now he wants to fight on.

That was too easy to predict.

offer 20 baht a tire and free bus trip home,solves the massive cleanup bill

That's what they say to the media. Then later on the stages they continue to preach hatred of Abhisit, military, PAD, elites, etc. etc. etc. They start making demands to sweeten the pot and soften their landing when all this is over. They then bring in reinforcements from the countryside. Why would they do this? It is deliberate provocation toward the government. Their public attitude toward the reconciliation process has been half-hearted at best. Their private attitude seems to be much less so.

Edited by way2muchcoffee